Over 120 Vanguard funds go transaction free at E*trade

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Turbo29

Over 120 Vanguard funds go transaction free at E*trade

Post by Turbo29 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:57 pm

Just got this email today.

"Starting September 19, we’re adding more than 120 Vanguard mutual funds to our no-load, no-transaction-fee mutual fund program. This includes at least one of the Vanguard funds currently in your portfolio."

List:

https://www.etrade.wallst.com/Research/ ... 30&em=4931

jacoavlu

Re: Over 120 Vanguard funds go transaction free at E*trade

Post by jacoavlu » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 pm

wow, that's awesome

edit: still great, but realized I don't have the $100,000,000 initial investment needed to qualify for TSM at 0.02 ER : :annoyed

tj

Post by tj » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:54 pm

No admiral shares, but they do offer cash incentives so maybr it evens out for some asset levels.

MFInvestor

E*TRADE Adds More Than 120 No-Load,(Vanguard) No-Transaction-Fee Mutual Funds to Its Platform

Post by MFInvestor » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:33 am

[merged into existing topic - moderator prudent]

In June they had added 32 Vanguard ETFs.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home ... tual-Funds

E*TRADE Adds More Than 120 No-Load, No-Transaction-Fee Mutual Funds to Its Platform, Now Totaling More Than 4,400 Funds

E*TRADE is the only major online broker to offer Vanguard mutual funds within its no-load, no-transaction-fee program

September 20, 2018 08:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--E*TRADE Financial Corporation (NASDAQ:ETFC) today announced it is the first among major online brokers to offer no-load, no-transaction-fee Vanguard mutual funds on its platform.

“We are always looking for ways to give our customers more choice at a low cost. This expansion of our no-load, no-transaction-fee mutual fund offering gives investors the opportunity to gain exposure to active management with no transaction fees. That means more of their money can work for them.”

With this new offering, customers can access 124 Vanguard mutual funds for their investment strategy on a no-transaction-fee basis. Investors are able to choose from a wide variety of actively managed funds, including alternative, balanced, domestic and international equity, sector, municipal and taxable bond, and target date funds. With this enhancement, E*TRADE now offers more than 4,400 no-load, no-transaction-fee mutual funds for customers. These Vanguard mutual funds are in addition to the 32 Vanguard commission-free ETFs E*TRADE included on its platform of more than 250 commission-free ETFs in June.

“We are thrilled to add these funds to our complete suite of investment products, from stocks to bonds to ETFs,” said Rich Messina, SVP of Investment Product at E*TRADE Financial. “We are always looking for ways to give our customers more choice at a low cost. This expansion of our no-load, no-transaction-fee mutual fund offering gives investors the opportunity to gain exposure to active management with no transaction fees. That means more of their money can work for them.”

blevine

Post by blevine » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Why not just buy ETFs if you have an etrade acct ?
I have an etrade acct and a Vanguard, only have etrade for employee stock bonus, prefer to have choice of ALL Vanguard funds.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Why not just buy ETFs if you have an etrade acct ?
I have an etrade acct and a Vanguard, only have etrade for employee stock bonus, prefer to have choice of ALL Vanguard funds.
Suppose one has $100 to invest monthly.

If an ETF share is say $53, one can only buy "1" share and $47 remains uninvested, whereas buying into a fund, the entire $100 gets invested. To me at least, that's important.

Not saying I'll never ETF, but.....

danaht

Post by danaht » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:01 pm

This is a good for ETrade customers. I still prefer not to buy in ETrade - because ETrade does have a partial transfer fee. Merrill Edge, Fidelity, and Vanguard are my preferred places to buy ETFs - since all 3 do not have a partial transfer fee. note: Merrill Edge and Fidelity do have full transfer fees - but I don't plan to close those accounts anytime soon to get those fees charged.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:08 pm

Just in time for when the CapOne investing accounts move to etrade on Nov 2.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:04 pm

danaht wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:01 pm
This is a good for ETrade customers. I still prefer not to buy in ETrade - because ETrade does have a partial transfer fee. Merrill Edge, Fidelity, and Vanguard are my preferred places to buy ETFs - since all 3 do not have a partial transfer fee. note: Merrill Edge and Fidelity do have full transfer fees - but I don't plan to close those accounts anytime soon to get those fees charged.
Sounds like you do not need a another brokerage account. But if your balance is at least $5000 after the partial transfer, Etrade does not charge the fee.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:03 am

Hmmm... looks like you can get into some CLOSED funds by going through E*Trade.

tj

Post by tj » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:12 am

celia wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:03 am
Hmm, I see Capital Opportunity and Dividend Growth. I have to think an error would pop up if you try to make a transaction though.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:47 am

tj wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:12 am
celia wrote:
Hmm, I see Capital Opportunity and Dividend Growth. I have to think an error would pop up if you try to make a transaction though.
That's what I noticed too. But the way each brokerage firm works, I think, is that when multiple people buy shares in the same thing each day, the brokerage would buy (or sell) the total from Vanguard. Vanguard likely considers E*Trade as one customer and has no idea if thousands of people each bought one share or one person bought thousands of shares. E*Trade (and other brokerage firms) do the bookkeeping for each of its customers.

But when annual reports and such are sent out for each fund, each brokerage would then have to request an appropriate number for its own customers. They get delivered in the mail later than the ones that comes from Vanguard, who sends it directly to their own customers.

At least, this is the impression I get from using multiple brokers. Just think of the mutual funds being like a company that has issued shares of stock when it comes to record-keeping.

G-Force

Re: E*TRADE Adds More Than 120 No-Load,(Vanguard) No-Transaction-Fee Mutual Funds to Its Platform

Post by G-Force » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:04 am

MFInvestor wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:33 am
[merged into existing topic - moderator prudent]

E*TRADE is the only major online broker to offer Vanguard mutual funds within its no-load, no-transaction-fee program [/b]
The J.P. Morgan you invest accounts also offer a vanguard mutual funds with no transaction fee. Only investor shares though. No Admiral or institutional shares are available.

student

Post by student » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:36 am

tj wrote:
celia wrote:
Interesting. When I clicked on buy, it went to the usual page for me to fill in the information. I did not actually do it to get to the preview page as I do not have $3,000 in cash.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:24 am

Turbo29 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:57 pm
"Starting September 19, we’re adding more than 120 Vanguard mutual funds to our no-load, no-transaction-fee mutual fund program. This includes at least one of the Vanguard funds currently in your portfolio."

You're welcome. I just moved a bunch of cash from one Etrade account to my taxable account at Vanguard several months ago, and a small to medium sized IRA account from E to V a few months later.
(I bet I'm not the only one).
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

tj

Post by tj » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:36 am

celia wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:47 am
tj wrote:
celia wrote:
That's what I noticed too. But the way each brokerage firm works, I think, is that when multiple people buy shares in the same thing each day, the brokerage would buy (or sell) the total from Vanguard. Vanguard likely considers E*Trade as one customer and has no idea if thousands of people each bought one share or one person bought thousands of shares. E*Trade (and other brokerage firms) do the bookkeeping for each of its customers.

But when annual reports and such are sent out for each fund, each brokerage would then have to request an appropriate number for its own customers. They get delivered in the mail later than the ones that comes from Vanguard, who sends it directly to their own customers.

At least, this is the impression I get from using multiple brokers. Just think of the mutual funds being like a company that has issued shares of stock when it comes to record-keeping.
If this is the case though, you would think the institutional shares wouldn't have the steep minimums at etrade...

For both funds, it says "open to existing shareholders only" on the availability, so it would be interesting if orders actually get fulfilled.