Marijuana ETF's

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
creditdefaultswaps

Marijuana ETF's

Post by creditdefaultswaps » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:44 pm

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] Because none of the major stock indices include mmj stocks, I wonder if it makes sense to consider adding some of these "weed stocks" to the portfolio. The management fees are a bit high for most of the ETF's I've research.

Are you exploring this space for investment and if so, what are you looking at and why?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Marijuana ETF's

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Locked. Proposed legislation is off-topic for the reasons shown here: Political comments and proposed tax plan remain off-topic

Update: See below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:37 pm

This thread was locked due to the pending vote on H.R.5634 (off-topic). After receiving a PM, the comment has been removed.

This thread is now reopened to continue the discussion. Please stay focused on the investing aspects.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Are you looking at US only or is Canada in the mix? I have a feeling that the Canadian market is the 'training wheels' for the US market, and companies will use Canada to develop and optimize various production, distribution, and marketing processes so as to be ready for the US.
“Some depart to remain.”

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:28 pm

I've been watching ticker MJ (ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF). As far as ETFs, it looks about as good as is currently available: https://www.etf.com/MJ#overview

I compared MJ to ticker VSS (Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Small-Cap ETF) on ETFrc.com's fund overlap tool, and two of MJ's top holdings are in VSS according to them: canopy growth corporation at 0.3% and aurora cannabis inc at 0.2%.

I'm going to talk myself into being happy with the tiny bit of exposure to it that VSS and even VXUS (Vanguard Total International Stock ETF) has. I don't need anymore complexity in my portfolio even for play money, which is the most I would put towards MJ anyway.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:12 pm

No idea but short sellers are paying a pretty penny for access to Marijuana stocks.

So I'd check if the ETF is lending and if so, who get the money.

On ETF.com, I think you check the Securities Lending Split (Fund/Issuer). 100% to the fund means you get the money I believe.

Of course, there is risk to lending. Just don't take the risk without the reward.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pot-s ... 2018-09-18

foo.c

Post by foo.c » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:19 am

I sold my MJ this morning. Made a nice profit, but the valuation doesn't make sense anymore. I'm sure it could go higher, but it feels like "greater fool" territory now. JMO.

lukestuckenhymer

Post by lukestuckenhymer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:54 pm

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/marij ... 2018-10-22

Ouch.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/auror ... 2018-09-25

I also have to point this out... The breathtaking comparison between Aurora Cannabis and Berkshire Hathaway. :?

Oddball

Post by Oddball » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:01 pm

I picked up some shares of the MJ ETF a while back and plan to hold for the foreseeable future, but it has been a bumpy ride so far!