Fund Manager Software

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
viz

Fund Manager Software

Post by viz » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi,

Has anyone used Fund Manager Software?
https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/versions.html

Due to our work accounts and college savings, we have 5-6 investment accounts. I use YNAB for budgeting and expenses. I am looking for something which can give me good insights into what my investments are doing. I don't want online aggregators as don't like storing all passwords in one place online unless it has very strong encryption.

I don't mind entering password daily when I open the application.

I am software developer so I know that I can do this on Excel, however looking for a commercial solution.

Thanks!

Doom&Gloom

Re: Fund Manager Software

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 pm

I use it and am very happy with it. They offer a 30-day 100% refund guarantee. Why not give it a try if it looks like it will do what you want?

It has a bit of a learning curve, but with your background that shouldn't be an issue at all. I'm sure it has many features that I could be using, but I don't know what I don't know.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 pm

I have multiple accounts. I would guess that most of your accounts just like most of my accounts have no transactions, so there is almost no point in having any bit of software that goes out to accounts to find that nothing has changed.

So I use the free MS Money to track my investments. I hate spreadsheets because that's too much like being at work. Plus MS Money has a very easy report generation feature which I haven't seen on anybody's spreadsheet.

MS Money is a free download, but only runs on Windows. I have an old Windows laptop that I have disabled the networking on that I use to track all my accounts, so I doubt that it can ever be hacked. No matter since I have to enter prices and transactions manually. But there is a big benefit to that, too: If one finds manual data entry onerous, then one will tend to have fewer transactions and also stop looking at and updating their investments unless really necessary. One will also tend to have fewer investments because one will need to enter fewer price updates.

I could go on with other benefits, but I've probably got you rolling your eyes already.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

James2

Post by James2 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:15 pm

I have used it at various times. My original license was some 10-15years ago. I went and tried some of the aggregators, but they have their own issues. I recently grabbed the latest version to try it out for a few days to see what has changed. I think I have 9 different accounts setup in it (long story) and it pulls recent transactions and values for most of them without any issue.

Overall, it’s a good piece of software, and the developer is really responsive.

James

viz

Post by viz » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:39 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 pm
I have multiple accounts. I would guess that most of your accounts just like most of my accounts have no transactions, so there is almost no point in having any bit of software that goes out to accounts to find that nothing has changed.
I am in accumulation stage, so most accounts have some transactions at least twice a month. Also, I reinvest dividends in tax-deffered account so can be more than 2.
livesoft wrote:

So I use the free MS Money to track my investments. I hate spreadsheets because that's too much like being at work. Plus MS Money has a very easy report generation feature which I haven't seen on anybody's spreadsheet.

MS Money is a free download, but only runs on Windows. I have an old Windows laptop that I have disabled the networking on that I use to track all my accounts, so I doubt that it can ever be hacked. No matter since I have to enter prices and transactions manually. But there is a big benefit to that, too: If one finds manual data entry onerous, then one will tend to have fewer transactions and also stop looking at and updating their investments unless really necessary. One will also tend to have fewer investments because one will need to enter fewer price updates.

I could go on with other benefits, but I've probably got you rolling your eyes already.
Thanks, I agree with you. However, as I mentioned I have transactions every month in every account. I would rather purchase as soon as money hits the account and not reduce transactions.

I also prefer to automate what I can so I can spend more time with family, doing things I love to do, learn new stuff and read this forum :D

viz

Post by viz » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:40 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
I use it and am very happy with it. They offer a 30-day 100% refund guarantee. Why not give it a try if it looks like it will do what you want?

It has a bit of a learning curve, but with your background that shouldn't be an issue at all. I'm sure it has many features that I could be using, but I don't know what I don't know.
Thanks, I will give it a try

viz

Post by viz » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:40 pm

James2 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:15 pm
I have used it at various times. My original license was some 10-15years ago. I went and tried some of the aggregators, but they have their own issues. I recently grabbed the latest version to try it out for a few days to see what has changed. I think I have 9 different accounts setup in it (long story) and it pulls recent transactions and values for most of them without any issue.

Overall, it’s a good piece of software, and the developer is really responsive.

James
Thanks

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 pm

viz wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:39 pm
I am in accumulation stage, so most accounts have some transactions at least twice a month. Also, I reinvest dividends in tax-deffered account so can be more than 2.
Yes, I reinvest dividends monthly in a few of bond funds, but I don't feel compelled to update the transactions as they happen.

As for 2-a-month transactions, one might switch to one-a-month staggered in accounts except for the employer accounts which are tied to paychecks.

For instance, on first paycheck of month contribute to one's Roth IRA and on second paycheck of month contribute to spouse's Roth IRA. That is, invest the same amount of money out of each paycheck, but not in every account every paycheck. 529 plan contributions could be done monthly and taxable account contributions, too. That would get money invested as soon as it shows up, but maybe with one transaction per account.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

viz

Post by viz » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:42 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 pm
viz wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:39 pm
Yes, I reinvest dividends monthly in a few of bond funds, but I don't feel compelled to update the transactions as they happen.

As for 2-a-month transactions, one might switch to one-a-month staggered in accounts except for the employer accounts which are tied to paychecks.

For instance, on first paycheck of month contribute to one's Roth IRA and on second paycheck of month contribute to spouse's Roth IRA. That is, invest the same amount of money out of each paycheck, but not in every account every paycheck. 529 plan contributions could be done monthly and taxable account contributions, too. That would get money invested as soon as it shows up, but maybe with one transaction per account.
Thanks, I agree it can be simplified and will be something I will look into doing.

RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:32 am

I've used Fund Manager for years now and use it every single day. FANTASTIC piece of software and it just plain works. Blows Quicken and every other app I've tried OUT.OF.THE. WATER. when it comes to managing a complex (or not so complex) Portfolio.

I'm in tech and started my career as a developer, so appreciate well-written software. Fund Manager is how software "used to be" before greedy F500 companies started offshoring everything and we got bloated garbage (Quicken, I'm thinking of you) that's buggy, slow and hard to use. It just plain works the way you expect and is fast, simple and easy to use. Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but ALL software should be to this level of quality.

Not affiliated w/FM in any way shape or form but after having spent 30+ years in tech can really appreciate it when a software developer puts together an elegant, top notch piece of software like FM.

If you can't already tell..HIGHLY recommended and worth every penny. I only wish the Developer would write a Quicken alternative next, because it's sure needed.

ETA: pretty sure they still have a trial version. Interesting that they also have a version for Financial Professionals like CFPs to use to manage their client's portfolios. I use the "personal" (I believe it's called version) and think it cost me somewhere around $99 at the time..haven't looked lately at what it is now.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:48 am

I have quite a history in Quicken of transactions. How good is Fund Manager at importing that?
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:16 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:48 am
I have quite a history in Quicken of transactions. How good is Fund Manager at importing that?
Never had reason to try it, but appears to support import of QIF files..

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/hel ... t_qif.html

viz

Post by viz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:43 am

RetireBy55 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:32 am

ETA: pretty sure they still have a trial version. Interesting that they also have a version for Financial Professionals like CFPs to use to manage their client's portfolios. I use the "personal" (I believe it's called version) and think it cost me somewhere around $99 at the time..haven't looked lately at what it is now.
Thanks, they do have a trial version and I am planning to try both Portfolio Manager and MS money

James2

Post by James2 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:49 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:48 am
I’ve not done it personally, but you might want to review the FundManager forum and the referenced video.
https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/for ... ken#p14285

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:33 pm

Ive used MS Money for many years and am quite satisfied with how it handles my
personal finances (tried Quicken but gave up after trying two different versions).
I am going to download the demo and see if it gives me enough added useful info
that it's worth switching from MS Money.