U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Robot Monster

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

Stinky wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:02 am We’re almost half way to 4100.

Just 14 points to go.
We have to work harder on encouraging those with "cash on the sidelines" to invest in the market. Someone should create a post like, "Today is a good day to invest in the US market, and here is why."

Here's a reason, the S&P 500 Excess CAPE Yield. It's not looking bad at all! link
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:18 am

Just 14 points to go.
We have to work harder on encouraging those with "cash on the sidelines" to invest in the market. Someone should create a post like, "Today is a good day to invest in the US market, and here is why."

Here's a reason, the S&P 500 Excess CAPE Yield. It's not looking bad at all! link
They'll chart anything these days.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:18 am

Just 14 points to go.

Or the cash gets deployed into the economy which will bring record profit. Companies will buyback shares.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

MiddleOfTheRoad wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:08 am Post this here for my own record.
About to turn 46. Will quit work at 55 or S&P 8000 (copying Homerj a little), whichever is first. :happy
10YR breakeven inflation is 2.36%, which gets you to S&P 5000 in 9 years alone.

8000 in 9 years is 7.8%, nominal, CAGR.

Backing out inflation that gets to 5.34% real return in 10 YRS.

At current valuations, I think that's going to be a close call as to which you hit first. ;)
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

doh! no more soaring.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Triple digit golfer

watchnerd wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:47 am
MiddleOfTheRoad wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:08 am Post this here for my own record.
About to turn 46. Will quit work at 55 or S&P 8000 (copying Homerj a little), whichever is first. :happy
10YR breakeven inflation is 2.36%, which gets you to S&P 5000 in 9 years alone.

8000 in 9 years is 7.8%, nominal, CAGR.

Backing out inflation that gets to 5.34% real return in 10 YRS.

At current valuations, I think that's going to be a close call as to which you hit first. ;)
Add dividends and it's probably more like a total return of 9.5% nominal and 7% real. I would be very happy to get those returns over the next decade.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:59 pm Add dividends and it's probably more like a total return of 9.5% nominal and 7% real. I would be very happy to get those returns over the next decade.
Tops down to hit a completely arbitrary SP 8000 goal, it would include dividends already, at least if we're counting the funds people actually invest in.

Bottoms up, Vanguard 2021 10 YR outlook for US breaks down as:

Valuation expansion: -2.1%
Earnings growth: 5%
Dividend yield: 1.8%

Total: 4.7%

Add in current 10 YR breakeven inflation (2.36%) = 7.06% nominal

So either way, you're within a 60 bps spread between 4.7-5.3% real.

With inflation, 7-8% nominal.

So not an audacious goal or nutty goal over 9 year timeframe... ;)
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Triple digit golfer

watchnerd wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:26 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:59 pm Add dividends and it's probably more like a total return of 9.5% nominal and 7% real. I would be very happy to get those returns over the next decade.
Tops down to hit a completely arbitrary SP 8000 goal, it would include dividends already, at least if we're counting the funds people actually invest in.

Bottoms up, Vanguard 2021 10 YR outlook for US breaks down as:

Valuation expansion: -2.1%
Earnings growth: 5%
Dividend yield: 1.8%

Total: 4.7%

Add in current 10 YR breakeven inflation (2.36%) = 7.06% nominal

So either way, you're within a 60 bps spread between 4.7-5.3% real.

With inflation, 7-8% nominal.

So not an audacious goal over 9 year timeframe... ;)
I'm just talking about the literal S&P 500 price index, not any specific funds. If that hits 8000, it's 7.8% a year, but that number excludes dividends.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:34 pm
I'm just talking about the literal S&P 500 price index, not any specific funds. If that hits 8000, it's 7.8% a year, but that number excludes dividends.
That's more of a stretch, then.
Triple digit golfer

watchnerd wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:37 pm
Wow, only 4.7% nominal, so they're predicting real returns at 3% or less over a decade. Yikes.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:56 pm
watchnerd wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:37 pm
Wow, only 4.7% nominal, so they're predicting real returns at 3% or less over a decade. Yikes.
They're more optimistic about international, but this is a US stock thread. ;)
j0e0r7

Post by j0e0r7 »

mrspock wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:48 pm
j0e0r7 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:26 am
mrspock wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:07 am
willthrill81 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:54 am Seeing the market continue to rise certainly feels good, but I cannot help but wonder how much of the gains we're seeing now are due to the market's expectation of coming inflation, which, if so, means that some of these may be phantom gains.

If I held a significant portion of my portfolio in nominal bonds right now, I would be downright scared.
I think a lot of this is inflation which we can’t really “book” just yet. One more reason folks adjust their AA’s right now at their own peril. Even with the market being at all time highs... less risk might be the last thing you want. If this inflation materializes, you’d be getting beat up both from rising yields and inflation.
If the market is expecting inflation, why are bond yields so low?
Because it’s not at all clear if bond yields are good predictors of inflation.

A good article noting the failures over the last 70 years: https://www.piie.com/blogs/realtime-eco ... -inflation
Overall, there is no evidence to suggest that bond markets are good predictors of inflation.
In fact, if I was writing the software for our little universe simulation.... I’d almost certainly make a period of time where ironically the safest assets ended up being the worst thing you could own. Life has a way of making fools of us all.

As such... I’m just going to stomach the equity volatility @ 75/25. I get way more anxiety from bonds these days than I ever have from equities (damage of bond black swans takes way longer to repair?), but maybe I’m just wired differently.
Thanks for that link. From that it looks like bond yields move with current, but not future, inflation. That makes me think that maybe future inflation/deflation levels are essentially impossible to predict.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

MishkaWorries wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:42 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:37 pm
MishkaWorries wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:33 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:21 pm
MishkaWorries wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:19 pm

I backed the truck up on Friday!

I bought $400.00 of S&P 500 in my retirement account as part of my biweekly savings.
Market was closed Friday. Maybe they bought on Thursday.
Interesting point. I never bothered to look when they buy the stocks.
If you placed the orders on Friday then I don't see how they would've bought on Thursday. My guess is they executed today.
I just looked. My contributions posted on today.

Sorry guys but that means the top is in. The market always goes down when I buy stocks. :twisted:
Told ya :(
We plan. G-d laughs.
drk

Post by drk »

MishkaWorries wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:38 pm Told ya :(
I appreciate it. My 401k contribution will be invested today.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Bunch of market manipulators in this thread! :x
OohLaLa

Post by OohLaLa »

rchmx1 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:02 pm Bunch of market manipulators in this thread! :x
Do your citizen duty, and do the right thing! :P:
https://www.sec.gov/whistleblower/submit-a-tip

There is more than enough proof in this thread to put them away in minimum-security facilities, where they will spend the rest of their days playing tennis and watching reruns of Seinfeld!
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

OohLaLa wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:50 pm
rchmx1 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:02 pm Bunch of market manipulators in this thread! :x

There is more than enough proof in this thread to put them away in minimum-security facilities, where they will spend the rest of their days playing tennis and watching reruns of Seinfeld!

Just imagine how much your portfolio can grow if your COL SWR is covered by Club Fed!
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

I’ll just bring my framed photo of daddy JPOW to my hearing and they will let me walk — fist bumping JPOW on my way out the room.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

watchnerd wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:51 pm

Just imagine how much your portfolio can grow if your COL SWR is covered by Club Fed!
Don't forget free health care and no way to tinker with your portfolio.
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Oooh that was a good laugh, thank you for that. :D
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:36 am A Bloomberg headline today says, "Roubini Warns U.S. Yields Above 2% Will Bite Amid Excess Risk". LOL, Roubini. Dr. Doom. I remember the thread from last year, "This article is scaring me. [Roubini predicting depression]".
link
I don't know whether to respond here or in your linked thread, but you posted here, so...

Roubini gets accused of being a broken record, but his analysis goes into far more detail than "predicting depression". He's one of very few economists who showed concern, as early as 2006 to 2008, about subprime lending and a housing-led financial crisis (Jul. 2015 article).

Regarding the article referenced in your link (Apr. 2020 article), I'm not seeing where he's been disproven in the details of what's happening ("even if the Greater Recession leads to a lacklustre U-shaped recovery this year, an L-shaped 'Greater Depression' will follow later in this decade, owing to 10 ominous and risky trends").

Someone in your thread said that Roubini contradicts himself by predicting deflation and inflation. Not so. The prediction is that the Fed will first fight deflation, and then later, their actions along with other things will lead to stagflation. Arguably, the continuation of ZIRP/QE is like keeping the patient in the ICU. This economy still can't stand on its own two feet. So far, Roubini's script is playing out.

I have no idea what this means for the markets and personal finance, but for the economy, while I don't claim that Roubini must be right in every detail, I'm not seeing much in the way of solid evidence against Roubini's overall thesis as presented in the Apr. 2020 article.
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:36 am A Bloomberg headline today says, "Roubini Warns U.S. Yields Above 2% Will Bite Amid Excess Risk". LOL, Roubini. Dr. Doom. I remember the thread from last year, "This article is scaring me. [Roubini predicting depression]".
link
The link in that thread is a really good link. That's a good article. Age doesn't change what it has to say.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

I have a confession to make: I panicked yesterday because of these all time highs. Liquidated my entire 401k, including my “fun money” positions, and put it all back into Wellesley, which is where it all was until about 9 months ago. Now I don’t need to watch it gyrate.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

HanSolo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 pm ...I'm not seeing much in the way of solid evidence against Roubini's overall thesis as presented in the Apr. 2020 article.
See below.
Beensabu wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm
link
The link in that thread is a really good link. That's a good article. Age doesn't change what it has to say.
Looks like I jumped the gun on saying "LOL, Roubini". Appreciate both your replies.

Don't want to hijack this thread, so allow me to get it back on the rails. The market is currently soaring. Woohoo! There.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:29 am I have a confession to make: I panicked yesterday because of these all time highs. Liquidated my entire 401k, including my “fun money” positions, and put it all back into Wellesley, which is where it all was until about 9 months ago. Now I don’t need to watch it gyrate.
You’re kidding, right?

After all, your tag line says “for entertainment purposes only”. :D
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:29 am I have a confession to make: I panicked yesterday because of these all time highs. Liquidated my entire 401k, including my “fun money” positions, and put it all back into Wellesley, which is where it all was until about 9 months ago. Now I don’t need to watch it gyrate.
That might have been a sensible thing to do. My only concern is the panic aspect, and acting out on it. If you ever panic again, my suggestion would be simply to check in with us before doing anything, even if you just give us an hour. There are a lot of smart people here ready and waiting to help you.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

So you sold it out of one all time high and put it into another all time high? That's like selling a house now and buying another. That's nuts.
Triple digit golfer

Seems like you came out ahead doing so. You got lucky.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Morpheus: “You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Hoping to continue my journey as a red pill investor.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

rockstar wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 am
So you sold it out of one all time high and put it into another all time high? That's like selling a house now and buying another. That's nuts.
Except with houses, the round trip commission is 6% and other cost bring it up to around 10%. With stocks it can be as low as 0.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 am
That might have been a sensible thing to do. My only concern is the panic aspect, and acting out on it. If you ever panic again, my suggestion would be simply to check in with us before doing anything, even if you just give us an hour. There are a lot of smart people here ready and waiting to help you.
+1. It wouldn't be a stretch to call this forum a "support group." Staying the course can be hard!
"Old value investors never die, they just get their fix from rebalancing." -- vineviz
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 am Morpheus: “You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Hoping to continue my journey as a red pill investor.
Me too.

At this second, S&P is even, but the Curly Family Portfolio is up 0.42%. A rare day, but I am savoring it.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 am
rockstar wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 am
Except with houses, the round trip commission is 6% and other cost bring it up to around 10%. With stocks it can be as low as 0.
True.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:52 am
CurlyDave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 am
...Except with houses, the round trip commission is 6% and other cost bring it up to around 10%. With stocks it can be as low as 0.
This right here is one of the things I love about rental properties. It's a pretty serious check valve against selling. I just updated my spreadsheet, and my RE equity is 3.05x my securities value, but liquidating the RE would evaporate a quarter of that equity between selling costs and capital gains tax (not to mention depreciation recapture)...
I am pretty much in agreement on that virtue of RE. Although my RE/stocks ratio is closer to 1:1.

As a retired guy I get cash and spending money from stocks as necessary. The RE is part of my planned legacy -- one of the ways to snooker the tax man is to die and get a step-up in basis. An in the meantime it produces a nice cash flow while generating a tax loss. The miracle of depreciation.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:43 pmThe RE is part of my planned legacy --
It is a good plan, and I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated by your heirs.

But, just speaking from experience, inheriting real estate can be a HUGE pain compared to inheriting a brokerage account.

An account with $1 million in stocks/bonds in it is a lot easier than dealing with 4 homes worth $1 million (maybe in a state that I don't even live in) :shock:
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Candor

Post by Candor »

As far as a panic goes this seems like a pretty reasonable one. I can see the draw of making a move like this.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:54 pm

But, just speaking from experience, inheriting real estate can be a HUGE pain compared to inheriting a brokerage account.

An account with $1 million in stocks/bonds in it is a lot easier than dealing with 4 homes worth $1 million (maybe in a state that I don't even live in) :shock:
I agree. But I really like the diversification the RE adds to the overall portfolio. I suppose that if dealing with the RE is going to be too much trouble for our heirs, I could always give it to our church. Next time I see them I will bring that possibility up and see what they say. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Ouch on the Russell 2000 with -1.60%. House of Pain!
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm Ouch on the Russell 2000 with -1.60%. House of Pain!
GME down 3.64%. We're free falling...
"In the short run, the stock market is a voting machine; in the long run, it is a weighing machine" ~Benjamin Graham
Candor

Post by Candor »

S&P 500 squeezed in another record close. Chugging right along, next stop 4100? Nobody knows....
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:41 pm
HomerJ wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:54 pm

I agree. But I really like the diversification the RE adds to the overall portfolio. I suppose that if dealing with the RE is going to be too much trouble for our heirs, I could always give it to our church. Next time I see them I will bring that possibility up and see what they say. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Heh, touche` :beer
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:32 am
HanSolo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 pm ...I'm not seeing much in the way of solid evidence against Roubini's overall thesis as presented in the Apr. 2020 article.
See below.
OK. But I didn't see anything that addresses my comment.
Beensabu wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm
link
Looks like I jumped the gun on saying "LOL, Roubini". Appreciate both your replies.

Don't want to hijack this thread, so allow me to get it back on the rails. The market is currently soaring. Woohoo! There.
I see it as on-topic, to the extent that the economy has some relationship to the markets (sometimes). Yes, the market is at an all-time-high. So far, Roubini's script is playing out ("In the short run, governments will need to run monetised fiscal deficits to avoid depression and deflation").
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Han, do some Google searches of Roubini and add in like 2013 or other years.
Roubini sticks to 2013 "perfect storm" prediction
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-roub ... C820120717
Economist Nouriel Roubini is standing by his prediction for a global “perfect storm” next year as economies the world over slow down or shudder to a complete halt, geopolitical risk grows and the euro zone’s debt crisis accelerates.

Roubini, the New York University professor dubbed “Dr Doom” for predicting the 2008 financial crisis, highlighted five factors that could derail the global economy.

Those factors are a worsening of the debt crisis in Europe; tax increases and spending cuts in United Sates that may push the world’s biggest economy into recession; a hard landing for China’s economy; further slowing in emerging markets; and a military confrontation with Iran.

“Next year is the time when the can becomes too big to kick it down (the road)...then we have a global perfect storm,” Roubini said in a television interview with Reuters.

Roubini’s gloomy 2013 outlook isn’t new, but it’s getting more purchase as slowing economies and Europe’s debt crisis drive turbulence in financial markets.

After what he expects will be a flat year for U.S. stocks in 2012, Roubini said the equity market could face a sharp correction next year, with little the Federal Reserve can do to stop it.
S&P 500 went up 15% in 2012 and 20% in 2013.

He's a perma-bear. He always has good reasons. He's not always right.

No one is. This is something I've learned after 50+ years on this planet. Economics and Finance is not a real science like physics. No one knows enough to make accurate predictions. There are too many variables. Human emotions are involved. There are NO, I mean ZERO, experts.
In his speech at the 1974 Nobel Prize banquet, Friedrich Hayek stated that had he been consulted on the establishment of a Nobel Prize in economics, he would "have decidedly advised against it" primarily because, "The Nobel Prize confers on an individual an authority which in economics no man ought to possess....
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:20 pm S&P 500 went up 15% in 2012 and 20% in 2013.

He's a perma-bear. He always has good reasons. He's not always right.
I suppose perma-bulls are more often right than perma-bears, in terms of number of up years vs. down years. I don't pay much attention to either (as far as market prognostication is concerned).

I have no expectation that Roubini (or anyone) knows when the ups/downs in the market will be. I'm paying attention to his commentary on the economy, not the markets, and I find it to be informative. Regarding 2012-2013, as well as this year, these are periods where the economy was still in the ICU, so to speak, with ZIRP/QE policies still in effect. It's not exactly a sign of health. And that may or may not have consequences. I'm not in this to make predictions, but to gain an understanding of the situation we're in.

I've been in the ICU before. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Futures are up again. Tomorrow, VTI might cross 10% return YTD.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Kookaburra wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:42 pm Futures are up again. Tomorrow, VTI might cross 10% return YTD.
I think they're front-running the jobs report, already assuming the numbers would beat.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Dow futures just hit 33,333 kinda a cool number.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I like 33,334 better.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:41 am I like 33,334 better.
Back down to 33,332, now you did it...
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds