U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
OohLaLa

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by OohLaLa »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:04 pm Lostdog saved the market today.
I imagine lostdog running on Wall Street, in slow motion, as Chariots of Fire plays in the background and you see crowds of traders with their little jackets cheering him on. As the clock strike 16:00, he crosses a finish line tape attached to two hotdog carts on opposite sides. Our champion is then doused in Gatorade (TM), much like champagne, and is fed bretzels and corn dogs to replenish his much needed energy... for another trading day.
Axelrod

Post by Axelrod »

That was some melt up over the last 30 minutes.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Axelrod wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:23 pm That was some melt up over the last 30 minutes.
Wow! Parabolic to vertical.
This time is the same
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I did a hard elliptical workout today. I got done before the small melt up though.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

OohLaLa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:17 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:04 pm Lostdog saved the market today.
I imagine lostdog running on Wall Street, in slow motion, as Chariots of Fire plays in the background and you see crowds of traders with their little jackets cheering him on. As the clock strike 16:00, he crosses a finish line tape attached to two hotdog carts on opposite sides. Our champion is then doused in Gatorade (TM), much like champagne, and is fed bretzels and corn dogs to replenish his much needed energy... for another trading day.
Nicely done. :beer
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

lostdog wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:50 pm I did a hard elliptical workout today. I got done before the small melt up though.
Your core temperature was still elevated enough to impact the market. Thanks as always!
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Silverado wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:06 pm
lostdog wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:50 pm I did a hard elliptical workout today. I got done before the small melt up though.
Your core temperature was still elevated enough to impact the market. Thanks as always!
I try to be done before the 3pm to 5pm after work crowd shows up.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

lostdog wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:07 pm
Too modest to accept all the adulation for your work in the market that day, eh?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:51 pm
Too modest to accept all the adulation for your work in the market that day, eh?
:sharebeer
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:51 pm
Aint no way the market can fail to respond to the double whammy of a lostdog workout and a Forrester doomcast on the same day.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

"World’s Most Bubbly Housing Markets Flash 2008 Style Warnings...A cocktail of ingredients is sending house prices to unprecedented levels worldwide." link

This headline makes me feel like everything is just going to explode in a brilliant flash of red and yellow light. First the houses will explode. Then the stocks (small caps are gonna sound like snappers, mid-caps like M-80's, and the big-boys like actual bombs). Then...oh yeah, the cryptos are gonna explode, but you knew that. Anyway, my point is basically...Bloomberg scare headline, am I right? But look at the other words used in other headlines on the main page. "Dimon Warns of Bigger Trading Revenue Drop After Covid Boom". "From Copper to Corn, Markets Show Peak Inflation Fear Has Passed". "Fed-Up Young Workers Fear They Need Offices to Save Their Careers".

Don't mean to post something off-topic. This thread is about the market moving up, not scare headlines, but I guess how both these things tie in together is...

(thinking)

Be careful what you read. It's difficult to measure how things may impact you psychologically and....

(hmn...am I getting anywhere with this...ugh...)

Just stay invested, because the long term trajectory of the market has momentum upwards despite any negative sentiment the media throws our way.

(There. Nailed it.)
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:03 pm "World’s Most Bubbly Housing Markets Flash 2008 Style Warnings...A cocktail of ingredients is sending house prices to unprecedented levels worldwide." link

This headline makes me feel like everything is just going to explode in a brilliant flash of red and yellow light. First the houses will explode. Then the stocks (small caps are gonna sound like snappers, mid-caps like M-80's, and the big-boys like actual bombs). Then...oh yeah, the cryptos are gonna explode, but you knew that. Anyway, my point is basically...Bloomberg scare headline, am I right? But look at the other words used in other headlines on the main page. "Dimon Warns of Bigger Trading Revenue Drop After Covid Boom". "From Copper to Corn, Markets Show Peak Inflation Fear Has Passed". "Fed-Up Young Workers Fear They Need Offices to Save Their Careers".

Don't mean to post something off-topic. This thread is about the market moving up, not scare headlines, but I guess how both these things tie in together is...

(thinking)

Be careful what you read. It's difficult to measure how things may impact you psychologically and....

(hmn...am I getting anywhere with this...ugh...)

Just stay invested, because the long term trajectory of the market has momentum upwards despite any negative sentiment the media throws our way.

(There. Nailed it.)
My motto is, if Bloomberg is predicting something then its already priced in the market. Its something the insiders knew weeks ago and stock prices have already adjusted to it. Summary: carry on. These " experts" have to sell the news.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Keenobserver wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:33 am
...My motto is, if Bloomberg is predicting something then its already priced in the market. Its something the insiders knew weeks ago and stock prices have already adjusted to it. Summary: carry on. These " experts" have to sell the news.
It is even worse than that. These "experts" get paid by the column-inch for the drivel they turn out. If mama is going to put roast beef and taters on the table tonight, they have to turn out some drivel today.

It is really just that simple.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Be careful about piling into commodities, everyone! I keep hearing about it. For example,

"Paul Tudor Jones says ‘go all in on the inflation trades’ if Fed keeps ignoring higher prices...'I’d probably buy commodities, buy [a greater fool investment], buy gold'" link

And,

"Fund managers are bullishly positioned right now, with 72% saying inflation is transitory and 23% saying it's permanent: BofA June survey. Long commodities overtakes long Bitcoin as the 'most crowded trade,' and allocation to bonds falls to a 3-year low." link

Just remember what Rick Ferri said...

"Commodities, bit-coin, and other alternatives are bright glowing candles - soon to be blown out and forgotten." link

In full disclosure I have some funny money in commodities futures.
Edit: I also backed the truck up a little on commodities today, added 0.1% of my total portfolio from short-term treasuries.

Anyway, putting all that aside...

The market is flat, which means it's successfully holding onto all the juicy gains we've gotten thus far, and is poised for a nice "lostdog at the gym" soar.
Last edited by Robot Monster on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:34 am Just remember what Rick Ferri said...

"Commodities, bit-coin, and other alternatives are bright glowing candles - soon to be blown out and forgotten." link

In full disclosure I have some funny money in commodities futures.

Anyway, putting all that aside...

The market is flat, which means it's successfully holding onto all the juicy gains we've gotten thus far, and is poised for a nice "lostdog at the gym" soar.
Why soon to be blown out and forgotten though? I wish Rick Ferri explained that. While I don't hold commodities, I can't imagine people forget gold or oil.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Gold aint going nowhere..its intrinsic as a value hold in global psyche..
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Regarding "is inflation transitory like the Fed says, or not," this tweet by Kathy Jones, Chief Fixed Income Strategist for Schwab, is fascinating:

"The #TIPS market appears to agree with the #Fed's assessment that the recent surge in #inflation is #transitory."

You have to click on the link to the actual tweet to see the chart she is referencing. link
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Keenobserver wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:44 am Gold aint going nowhere..its intrinsic as a value hold in global psyche..
I think the argument was that long commodities trade is already overcrowded, though I think it's too big of a bucket to quantify in a meaningful way.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

In the spirit of bringing this thread back on topic, now that I accidentally derailed it with commodities talk, I must note that even if the market is currently in the red, we all know that that is just transitory, and if you dig deeper you'll find those green shoots silently awaiting. Please don't be surprised if they suddenly pop up.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am In the spirit of bringing this thread back on topic, now that I accidentally derailed it with commodities talk, I must note that even if the market is currently in the red, we all know that that is just transitory, and if you dig deeper you'll find those green shoots silently awaiting. Please don't be surprised if they suddenly pop up.
A little hint. Post in the Free Fall thread, that usually does the trick.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

abuss368 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:15 pm Maybe I’ll use my rocket ship tomorrow instead!

Tony
This was Tony's last post in this thread, posted almost a month ago. I miss Tony's truck!

I do see that his total posts is exactly 25000. Perhaps he doesn't want to ruin a perfect number like that.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:16 pm
abuss368 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:15 pm Maybe I’ll use my rocket ship tomorrow instead!

Tony
This was Tony's last post in this thread, posted almost a month ago. I miss Tony's truck!

I do see that his total posts is exactly 25000. Perhaps he doesn't want to ruin a perfect number like that.
Where's Tony? Come back to the thread, Tony!
bigtex

Post by bigtex »

I’m just starting to see the slightest green shoots. My large cap value index fund just went green for the day.
anoop

Post by anoop »

what happened to those 1%, 2% pops we used to get regularly? the current returns feel like the rain situation in california.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

anoop wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:32 pm what happened to those 1%, 2% pops we used to get regularly? the current returns feel like the rain situation in california.
No, they don't. They really, really don't feel anything like a drought. Most realistic investors would be happy if returns were sideways for the rest of the year. We will not be happy if we don't get any rain for the rest of the year.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

"The one show in town this week is the Fed, so investors have been weighing the possibility of whether the Fed will start to introduce the theme of reining in this ultra loose policy,” said Fiona Cincotta, senior financial markets analyst at City Index. “That’s the big question -- will they introduce that debate or will they let it push over until August?” link
Last edited by Robot Monster on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

All eyes on the FOMC rates decision tomorrow. Also important is Chair Powell's presser half an hour later.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

No one expects a rate increase, right? I think it's more about what the notes from the meeting say.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Just got off a personal call with Powell --

No rate increase. Not even thinking about tapering. May increase asset purchases. Inflation expected to be transitory and well within the parameters of what the fed was expecting. Have available tools to address inflation if it gets out of hand. Asset prices are elevated but those are helpful for the economy.

:D
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Biking to the park tomorrow. I'll peddle as hard as I can and then chill for lunch at the park.
anoop

Post by anoop »

<deleted>
Last edited by anoop on Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

anoop wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 pm Just got off a personal call with Powell --

No rate increase. Not even thinking about tapering. May increase asset purchases. Inflation expected to be transitory and well within the parameters of what the fed was expecting. Have available tools to address inflation if it gets out of hand. Asset prices are elevated but those are helpful for the economy.

:D
Good one. Was Forester conferenced in as well to hear the news?

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

atdharris wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:36 pm No one expects a rate increase, right? I think it's more about what the notes from the meeting say.
Chair Powell will have a presser after the rates decision. The meeting minutes would be released next month iirc.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Regarding the Fed, Mohamed A. El-Erian thinks the transition away from current easy-money policies "will probably be delayed further given the interactions of the backward-looking framework, confirmation biases, active inertia and the extent to which reputations have already been invested in what has been a frequent reiteration of the two mantras of 'transitory inflation' and 'not thinking about thinking' about tapering." link
anoop

Post by anoop »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:08 pm Regarding the Fed, Mohamed A. El-Erian thinks the transition away from current easy-money policies "will probably be delayed further given the interactions of the backward-looking framework, confirmation biases, active inertia and the extent to which reputations have already been invested in what has been a frequent reiteration of the two mantras of 'transitory inflation' and 'not thinking about thinking' about tapering." link
He doesn't know anything, unless of course, he's referring to an infinite delay.

Follow the money.
https://twitter.com/MinneapolisFed/stat ... 5783164934
Last edited by anoop on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I surpassed my yearly target for the year, and now, I'm back down to my target. And the year isn't even half over. This is some serious soaring more like the CA ride than the FL ride.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

anoop wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:14 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:08 pm Regarding the Fed, Mohamed A. El-Erian thinks the transition away from current easy-money policies "will probably be delayed further given the interactions of the backward-looking framework, confirmation biases, active inertia and the extent to which reputations have already been invested in what has been a frequent reiteration of the two mantras of 'transitory inflation' and 'not thinking about thinking' about tapering." link
He doesn't know anything, unless of course, he's referring to an infinite delay.

Follow the money.
https://twitter.com/MinneapolisFed/stat ... 5783164934
Yes,as Kashkari says, if the Fed is wrong about inflation, it has "the tools to adjust interest rates to keep inflation in check and prevent it from spiraling out of control." I guess the thinking is that if the Fed is wrong about inflation and lets it bubble up, it might have to act more aggressively than they would have to otherwise. That, apparently, is the risk the Fed is willing to take in order to get more people employed.

Regarding your remark of an infinite delay, unsure what you mean. Are you saying the Fed will never shift gears and taper bond purchases and raise rates?
anoop

Post by anoop »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:40 pm Regarding your remark of an infinite delay, unsure what you mean. Are you saying the Fed will never shift gears and taper bond purchases and raise rates?
Correct. Inflation is largely a property of stimulus. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] What allows the stimulus to get funded are low fed funds rate + qe.

Before the fed even thinks about tapering, they will update their inflation target to a higher number.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a comment conjecturing on Universal Basic Income. As a reminder, see: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
The discussion is starting to derail on economic policy. Please stay focused on the investing aspects.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The side-discussion regarding TIPS has been moved into its own thread. See: [U.S. Stocks continue to soar - TIPS side discussion]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

S&P500 turned green!

All eyes on the FOMC rates decision & Chair Powell's presser though. I'm surprised the FedWatch tool says 7% of market participants expect a hike today.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Who is ready for some soaring this afternoon?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

lostdog wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:33 am Who is ready for some soaring this afternoon?
Are you going to do your part to help out the soaring?

Boglehead Nation is counting on you and your exercise routine! :D
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Stinky wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:47 am
lostdog wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:33 am Who is ready for some soaring this afternoon?
Are you going to do your part to help out the soaring?

Boglehead Nation is counting on you and your exercise routine! :D
Bike day today but I'll peddle hard.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:28 am S&P500 turned green!

All eyes on the FOMC rates decision & Chair Powell's presser though. I'm surprised the FedWatch tool says 7% of market participants expect a hike today.
That is very surprising, considering the mantra of not even thinking about thinking about tapering. If the mere thinking about thinking about tapering could produce a taper tantrum, what would an actual taper provoke? Yikes. 7% think that's gonna happen? Kinda mindblowing. For the Fed to do a 180 like that seems would sure spook the markets something fierce. Still...7% think this...? :confused
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:05 am That is very surprising, considering the mantra of not even thinking about thinking about tapering. If the mere thinking about thinking about tapering could produce a taper tantrum, what would an actual taper provoke? Yikes. 7% think that's gonna happen? Kinda mindblowing. For the Fed to do a 180 like that seems would sure spook the markets something fierce. Still...7% think this...? :confused
I don't get it either. It was lower (like 3%) a few days ago, probably rose after the CPI report showing 5% inflation.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

hmmm a slow creep downward......
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

lostdog wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:26 am hmmm a slow creep downward......
On your bike!
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Downward creep with only minutes to go. Do Fed decisions ever leak before the actual announcement?
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:55 pm
Downward creep with only minutes to go. Do Fed decisions ever leak before the actual announcement?
Some are pulling their money out just in case.