U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
GoldenFinch

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by GoldenFinch »

Wow! Quite a day! :beer
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:44 pm
rchmx1 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:42 pm
Hyperchicken wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:37 pm Man, I don't even want to think what it feels like sitting on the sidelines with cash on hands in the past few months.
The stuff of nightmares! :shock:
From a practical perspective how does holding cash differ from holding a bond allocation?

I think the point was being on the sidelines out of equities. Not being cash vs bonds.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Vtsax100 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:01 pm
Hyperchicken wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:37 pm Man, I don't even want to think what it feels like sitting on the sidelines with cash on hands in the past few months.
From a practical perspective how does holding cash differ from holding a bond allocation?

I think the point was being on the sidelines out of equities. Not being cash vs bonds.
And my point isn't that anyone who is not 100/0? Which would be the vast majority of investors here.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:52 pm I've been 50/50 this whole time, and at NO point have I been upset that only half my money was increasing by a lot.

Instead I've been happy that half my money is increasing by a lot, while at the same time, I was safe even if the market had crashed.
I can’t imagine this. During bull markets I’ve always wanted to be “all in”. Of course this means I’m chafing during bear markets but so be it. I’ve weathered a few and come out okay in the end.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

rchmx1 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:49 pm Personally I feel like, if I've made a decision to buy a stock(or ETFs, which is more typical for me), I want to just buy it. The tens of cents I might save trying to set a lower limit than the current bid price is not worth missing out on actually making the purchase. I'm not interested in doing intra-day trading, if I've made a decision to buy, it is because I'm hoping the stock/fund will climb over the next several weeks/months at least, and it is only then that I might consider exiting the position. Too often when getting a feel for it myself I'd end up being pennywise pound foolish, trying to be cute setting a lower buy price in the hopes of capturing a tiny dip, only to miss out on making the purchase at all and seeing the stock/fund climb.
I agree. I’ve used limit orders and I think I’ve lost more than gained by so doing. I’m either kicking myself for trying to capture a dip and instead chasing the stock/ETF higher up, or else mad at myself for buying at market and then watching it dip shortly thereafter. There’s no way to consistently win at this.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:17 pm
HomerJ wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:52 pm I've been 50/50 this whole time, and at NO point have I been upset that only half my money was increasing by a lot.

Instead I've been happy that half my money is increasing by a lot, while at the same time, I was safe even if the market had crashed.
I can’t imagine this. During bull markets I’ve always wanted to be “all in”. Of course this means I’m chafing during bear markets but so be it. I’ve weathered a few and come out okay in the end.
50/50 means I've never wrong. Again, it's just a matter of perspective.

I can totally see someone who is 50/50 who would think they were ALWAYS wrong.

But that's not my mindset. My balance keeps going up, and I don't ever really think about how much higher it "could" be. But that's because I've hit my number a while ago, and it's all just gravy now.

And I'm very close to retirement. I don't have time to weather a long bear market if I was 100/0.
Last edited by HomerJ on Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:16 pm

And my point isn't that anyone who is not 100/0? Which would be the vast majority of investors here.
No. I think you know exactly what he meant. Carry on.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:45 pm

But that's not my mindset. My balance keeps going up, and I don't ever really think about how much higher it "could" be.

And I'm very close to retirement. I don't have time to weather a long bear market if I was 100/0.
I’m retired 4-1/2 years now and am 98/2 or so with my EF. But in my case I don’t need my portfolio. I’m living on my pension and even delaying SS.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:53 pm
HomerJ wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:45 pm

But that's not my mindset. My balance keeps going up, and I don't ever really think about how much higher it "could" be.

I’m retired 4-1/2 years now and am 98/2 or so with my EF. But in my case I don’t need my portfolio. I’m living on my pension and even delaying SS.
Ah, the devil's in the details :) You can definitely weather a bear market. I have no pension.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Vtsax100 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:51 pm

Not really because most people always have cash/bond assets sitting on the sidelines they could deploy if for no other reason than they are waiting for their rebalancing bands to trigger. Just like there are people who because of rebalancing bands have sold some of their equities and missed any additional upside.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:00 pm

Not really because most people always have cash/bond assets sitting on the sidelines they could deploy if for no other reason than they are waiting for their rebalancing bands to trigger. Just like there are people who because of rebalancing bands have sold some of their equities and missed any additional upside.
He meant people who took money out of the market, because they thought it was going to drop, and instead are watching it go up and up. It must be hard for those people.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Asia Pacific is soaring.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:36 pm

He meant people who took money out of the market, because they thought it was going to drop, and instead are watching it go up and up. It must be hard for those people.
I am sure that would be frustrating. Seems like there would have been an opportunity in September if that was the case.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I backed up my truck tonight and put in the orders!

Can’t fill truck up any more. It is spilling over.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

There was sort of a melt even at the end, but NASDAQ is doing some more soaring in the aftermarket.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

bogle005 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:44 pm Novice trying to invest in individual stocks for the first time (Location US).

What are people's opinion on "Limit" order when buying using etrade? E.g. the one that buys a stock say TSLA when the price hits $825.00 instead of current $855.

Is it a good idea to make "limit" orders with a buy price set to slightly lower than current price? Or if one plans on buying TSLA they should buy rightaway without waiting for it to go a little lower?
You can do that, however, no gurantee you will catch it at the limit order price. If you believe in the long term growth of the stock, why not buy it asap? If you think the stock is overpriced and will drop, is that the best stock? I personally believe in the long term growth of the Tesla, and this is a descent week to buy if you are interested as it has cooled off a little. No gurantees and understand its a risky prospect. If you dont mind the risk, I would buy tomm and hold.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:10 pm There was sort of a melt even at the end, but NASDAQ is doing some more soaring in the aftermarket.
Nasdaq is up tonight. So is S&P.

Low level soaring.
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:05 pm I backed up my truck tonight and put in the orders!

Tony
Does your truck have a hitch? You could hook up a trailer and keep backing up.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Kookaburra wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:14 pm
abuss368 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:05 pm I backed up my truck tonight and put in the orders!

Tony
Does your truck have a hitch? You could hook up a trailer and keep backing up.
That is an awesome idea and one that I will have to consider. That will hold even more shares of our fund!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Great day, for the markets that is :moneybag :sharebeer
Sptm 60 | Vigi 20 | Blv 10 | Btc/Eth 10
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Futures up. More soaring on the menu tomorrow.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Kookaburra wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:02 pm Futures up. More soaring on the menu tomorrow.
The pre-opening is looking strong. NASDAQ and QQQ leading again. TQQQ split overnight.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Gentlemen, let the soaring commence.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Hit a little bit of a blip in the past few minutes, but still looking very good.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:39 pm

I am sure that would be frustrating. Seems like there would have been an opportunity in September if that was the case.
The thing is that the market in Sept was still well above its level in Mar/Apr/May when most people got out. So the market was sitting higher than when they got out, and then in Sept “the market was going down”. It’s very difficult for someone in that situation to get back in.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:52 am Hit a little bit of a blip in the past few minutes, but still looking very good.
I have to admit the recent NASDAQ action has me thinking about the action we saw in Jan.-Feb. of 2018.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:59 am
CurlyDave wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:52 am Hit a little bit of a blip in the past few minutes, but still looking very good.
I have to admit the recent NASDAQ action has me thinking about the action we saw in Jan.-Feb. of 2018.
When I stand back and look at that on a 5 year chart, it is just a little tiny wiggle in a long run of soaring.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Gufomel wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:58 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:39 pm

The thing is that the market in Sept was still well above its level in Mar/Apr/May when most people got out. So the market was sitting higher than when they got out, and then in Sept “the market was going down”. It’s very difficult for someone in that situation to get back in.
Probably incredibly difficult because with every drop you think finally this is the big one. There was a drop at the end of October too. I played the pandemic panic and was selling while lots of people here were posting about "buying the dip" and had started to get back in before we actually hit bottom. But I had a a bunch of GTC limit orders lined up to buy at set percentages off of the high otherwise maybe I wouldn't have got back in either.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:04 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:59 am
When I stand back and look at that on a 5 year chart, it is just a little tiny wiggle in a long run of soaring.
Yep, but I implemented my melt up protocol starting in December and we did eventually hit a couple week (if memory serves) rough patch after running up pretty aggressively at the beginning of the year. That said, I am far more active with the repositioning of my portfolio than a typical BH. But everyone needs a hobby.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:11 am ... That said, I am far more active with the repositioning of my portfolio than a typical BH. But everyone needs a hobby.
I used to do that back before I retired. It was a rougher ride for maybe a percent or two extra gain.

But I liked my job -- aerospace/defense, I designed & built things that would fly and explode and they paid me to do it -- if the only penalty was more time doing that, no big deal. But now that I am my own man, a little smoother ride is nice.
Last edited by CurlyDave on Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Melt up on open, por que?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

And we're flat....
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:36 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:11 am ... That said, I am far more active with the repositioning of my portfolio than a typical BH. But everyone needs a hobby.
I used to do that back before I retired. It was a rougher ride for maybe a percent or two extra gain.

But I liked my job -- aerospace/defense, I designed & built things that would fly and explode and they paid me to do it -- if the only penalty was more time doing that, no big deal. But now that I am my own man, a little smoother ride is nice.
I actually enjoy managing my portfolio, probably more than I should. But everyone is a genius in a bull market.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:55 am
Kookaburra wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:02 pm Futures up. More soaring on the menu tomorrow.
The pre-opening is looking strong. NASDAQ and QQQ leading again. TQQQ split overnight.
My TQQQ position is looking good so far this year.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

rockstar wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:43 am
...My TQQQ position is looking good so far this year.
Mine too. I didn't know it was going to split and almost had another heart attack when I looked at the price this morning.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:56 am
Mine too. I didn't know it was going to split and almost had another heart attack when I looked at the price this morning.
Congrats to you guys, I haven't had the nerve to be in TQQQ since something like the pre-split price of $140.

Post by 2903490324 »

Too late to buy in TQQQ? :(
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:59 am
Congrats to you guys, I haven't had the nerve to be in TQQQ since something like the pre-split price of $140.
It's now 6% of my portfolio. It doesn't require a lot of nerve to have such a small holding. It's basically a lottery ticket.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

2903490324 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:10 am
Too late to buy in TQQQ? :(
I buy on pull backs. I look for 3% or greater pulls backs. It always pulls back. Sometimes it takes longer to pull back than other times.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

rockstar wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:11 am
It's now 6% of my portfolio. It doesn't require a lot of nerve to have such a small holding. It's basically a lottery ticket.
I abandon my position because I expected more volatility which is detrimental in leveraged products like TQQQ.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:14 am
I abandon my position because I expected more volatility which is detrimental in leveraged products like TQQQ.
I expect volatility to continue to go down as we vaccinate more and more people.

My bigger concern is the 10 year treasury yield. Once you can get a real yield, I think, people will dump high valued stocks and buy treasuries. The other alternative is to start buying real estate at these low borrowing rates and hope the home market doesn't stall when rates go back up.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

...It's now 6% of my portfolio. It doesn't require a lot of nerve to have such a small holding. It's basically a lottery ticket.
You have more nerve than me. Only 1.5% of mine, but like the TimeLord says, everyone needs a hobby.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

rockstar wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:18 am
...My bigger concern is the 10 year treasury yield. Once you can get a real yield, I think, people will dump high valued stocks and buy treasuries. The other alternative is to start buying real estate at these low borrowing rates and hope the home market doesn't stall when rates go back up.
Funny thing there, I mentioned real estate to DW last night.

Rental prices are depressed because of the Covid eviction moratorium. That just plain can't last forever so there might be some good real estate deals available soon.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

Staggering about the zero line. I'll take that after yesterday's numbers. :D
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
yog

Post by yog »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:20 am
...It's now 6% of my portfolio. It doesn't require a lot of nerve to have such a small holding. It's basically a lottery ticket.
You have more nerve than me. Only 1.5% of mine, but like the TimeLord says, everyone needs a hobby.
Last year in March I bought an uncomfortably large slug of deep-in-the-money LEAPs in AAPL for a net premium of almost $0.00. It's fun to watch on days like today.

Thank goodness half was in Roth. The other half is going to cost me next year.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

dogagility wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:28 am Staggering about the zero line. I'll take that after yesterday's numbers. :D
I'm up 72bps so far today. I expected to be negative.
Stef

Post by Stef »

Made a mistake this week. Money transfer of monthly savings rate was delayed by a day, so couldn't buy QQQ at 314$ on Tuesday. Now it just keeps rising and already at 326$ lol. Not that it matters, but spending 48$ more just feels wrong. Still waiting to see 314$ again :oops:

Stocks go only up.
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

Stef wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:36 am
UPRO is probably a better idea than buying only NASDAQ stocks for the future.
Land/Real Estate:88.3% Equities:5.4% Fixed Income:3.9% Gold:1.7% Cryptocurrency:0.4%
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

Stef wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:36 am Made a mistake this week. Money transfer of monthly savings rate was delayed by a day, so couldn't buy QQQ at 314$ on Tuesday. Now it just keeps rising and already at 326$ lol. Not that it matters, but spending 48$ more just feels wrong. Still waiting to see 314$ again :oops:

Stocks go only up.
Feel for ya. I don't like money transfers either.
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
AK1236

Post by AK1236 »

Tony
That's what trailers are for.
no longer in the weeds and thorns