U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Stinky

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

Futures up 1%, give or take.

Looks like December is going to kick off with a bang!
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Grogs

Post by Grogs »

Stinky wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:39 am Futures up 1%, give or take.

Looks like the markets are poised to give back what they took away yesterday. Even with that little dip at the end of the month, my TSM was up 12.2% for the month of November.

It's hard to complain about getting more than an average year's worth of gains in one month. :sharebeer
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Asia and Europe giving back what they took yesterday.
Brokerage: VTI+VXUS || Retirement: VTWAX || Short-Term: Cash+BSV || 33x Expenses
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

November was my best month ever, let's see if December can beat it!
Livelife2fullest

Post by Livelife2fullest »

European countries are preparing for vaccine distribution, along with the states. Operation Warp Speed saying all Americans that want a vaccine will get one by June. Great news for future economic conditions.

Should see an S&P record high this morning. We can see the light at the end of the covid tunnel. Bright days in the market are ahead.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

lostdog wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:23 am Asia and Europe giving back what they took yesterday.
Nice weakening of the US dollar to support this, which I suppose is also helping gold's +1.8%.

Backed up the truck on my Vanguard Mega Cap ETF, which is lagging my Vanguard FTSE Developed Markets ETF, otherwise would have backed the truck on both.
“There are no answers, only choices.” ― Stanislav Lem, Solaris
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

45 minutes after the open and it is bouncing around a little, but it is doing it at the +1% level. That is a great place to be bouncing.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

It seems that the tables may have finally turned. SCV has well outperformed LCG over the last three months (+22% vs. +12%).
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

All is well, my store houses overflow from the hunt. To those who provided counsel about my taking too much risk, the fates have smiled upon me and rewarded my resolve. It is truly a glorious #GivingTuesday.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Mission accomplished! :moneybag
absolute zero

Post by absolute zero »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:22 am It seems that the tables may have finally turned. SCV has well outperformed LCG over the last three months (+22% vs. +12%).
Yep. Although for whatever reason, SCV has only been crushing it domestically these past few months. International (developed) SCV is only marginally outperforming developed markets indexes during that same time period.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:22 am It seems that the tables may have finally turned. SCV has well outperformed LCG over the last three months (+22% vs. +12%).
Well well well, how the turntables.

(Bonus points for whoever gets the reference)
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Another day which makes me feel like a fool for working for a living. I think I might wander off to that "I need a new Truck" thread to go spend some of this money, do my part to help out the Large Cap Value tilters.

:moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
RyeBourbon

Post by RyeBourbon »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:48 pm

MSPC
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

To infinity and beyond.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Will there be the so called " Santa Claus" rally this month? :D :twisted:
Brokerage: VTI+VXUS || Retirement: VTWAX || Short-Term: Cash+BSV || 33x Expenses
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

lostdog wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:25 pm Will there be the so called " Santa Claus" rally this month? :D :twisted:
I predict that it will never happen in any other month :wink:
Pawpatrol

Post by Pawpatrol »

The dollar continues to lose value after getting hammered today. Once covid is over those vacations are getting more expensive
calvin+hobbes

Post by calvin+hobbes »

abuss368 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:27 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:25 pm
abuss368 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:13 pm Truck backing up soon with nitros added this time!
Everyone stand back abuss is coming in hot.
That actually made me laugh out load! Thanks and needed that on a night my Philadelphia Eagles are losing again! :sharebeer
Rough year for you, my friend. At least you’ll always have 2017!
PPF.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

mrspock wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:04 pm Another day which makes me feel like a fool for working for a living. I think I might wander off to that "I need a new Truck" thread to go spend some of this money, do my part to help out the Large Cap Value tilters.

Isn't getting to the point where we don't have to work part of the whole purpose of this board?

I might want a nice new truck, but the one I have runs just fine. And the next time I need a load of rock or mulch it is a lot easier to just put it in the bed of an old truck than to try to protect the bed of a new one... :mrgreen:
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

calvin+hobbes wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:27 pm
abuss368 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:27 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:25 pm
abuss368 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:13 pm Truck backing up soon with nitros added this time!
Everyone stand back abuss is coming in hot.
That actually made me laugh out load! Thanks and needed that on a night my Philadelphia Eagles are losing again! :sharebeer
Rough year for you, my friend. At least you’ll always have 2017!
PPF.
Michael Barkann, Eagles Postgame “Enough about asking how do we get back to 2017. Time to ask how did 2017 ever happen”!

I always wanted ONE Super Bowl win. At least that happened.

See you are a Seahawks fan! That game last night!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
dropdx

Post by dropdx »

Is this when International starts to overtake the US market?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I see red for tomorrow.
RyeBourbon

Post by RyeBourbon »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:38 pm
mrspock wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:04 pm Another day which makes me feel like a fool for working for a living. I think I might wander off to that "I need a new Truck" thread to go spend some of this money, do my part to help out the Large Cap Value tilters.

Isn't getting to the point where we don't have to work part of the whole purpose of this board?

I might want a nice new truck, but the one I have runs just fine. And the next time I need a load of rock or mulch it is a lot easier to just put it in the bed of an old truck than to try to protect the bed of a new one... :mrgreen:
Looking at my portfolio is making it hard to motivate myself to work... I'm planning to retire in 3.5 years, but I realized I could stop now and if my portfolio only kept up with inflation (0% real growth), I'd still have the equivalent of my take home pay each year (including SS at age 70).
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

lostdog wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:56 pm I see red for tomorrow.
Temporary setback. :moneybag
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Stinky wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:07 pm
:sharebeer
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

RyeBourbon wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:01 pm

Looking at my portfolio is making it hard to motivate myself to work... I'm planning to retire in 3.5 years, but I realized I could stop now and if my portfolio only kept up with inflation (0% real growth), I'd still have the equivalent of my take home pay each year (including SS at . What percent returns would you need to make equvilant to take home pay?
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I see opportunity tomorrow.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Stinky wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:07 pm
Semper prorsum
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

RyeBourbon wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:01 pm ...Looking at my portfolio is making it hard to motivate myself to work... I'm planning to retire in 3.5 years, but I realized I could stop now and if my portfolio only kept up with inflation (0% real growth), I'd still have the equivalent of my take home pay each year (including SS at age 70).
I have been retired for 13 years, DW eased into retirement but hasn't done a lot of her previous work for about 5. If we include SS and Pensions our total income is higher than when we were working. Probably even if we inflation-adjust.

OTOH our portfolio has been invested more aggressively than most here would recommend, and we have some actual brick and mortar real estate.
RyeBourbon

Post by RyeBourbon »

Keenobserver wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:20 pm

Looking at my portfolio is making it hard to motivate myself to work... I'm planning to retire in 3.5 years, but I realized I could stop now and if my portfolio only kept up with inflation (0% real growth), I'd still have the equivalent of my take home pay each year (including SS at . What percent returns would you need to make equvilant to take home pay?
Not sure I understand the question.
anoop

Post by anoop »

How do you guys interpret this chart? Looks to me like a potential for a 100% rally before macro gets to where it was. Fundamentals shouldn't matter.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

anoop wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:35 pm How do you guys interpret this chart? Looks to me like a potential for a 100% rally before macro gets to where it was. Fundamentals shouldn't matter.
Shakespeare had this one pegged centuries before that graph was drawn. "It is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing."

There you go, investing advice from the real old-timers.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:48 pm
Shakespeare had this one pegged centuries before that graph was drawn. "It is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing."
Shakespeare has the foresight to write a good description of a number of posts in this thread.

Including more than a few of mine. :twisted:
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

anoop wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:35 pm How do you guys interpret this chart? Looks to me like a potential for a 100% rally before macro gets to where it was. Fundamentals shouldn't matter.
Their own interpretation is not so optimistic:
https://www.crescat.net/crescat-novembe ... ch-letter/

They sure do seem to love Gold.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

dropdx wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:47 pm Is this when International starts to overtake the US market?
I won't believe that until I see it.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Oh goodness, isn't that what those $19/hr trucks at Home Depot are for? Perhaps I'd put a few suitcases, maybe even a large box containing an OLED TV in the bed, but not much beyond that! Don't want to scuff the Rhino spray-in bed! :D
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

RyeBourbon wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:16 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:48 pm

MSPC
:sharebeer
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

Looking at my portfolio is making it hard to motivate myself to work... I'm planning to retire in 3.5 years, but I realized I could stop now and if my portfolio only kept up with inflation (0% real growth), I'd still have the equivalent of my take home pay each year (including SS at age 70).
Bro *what*. It sounds like you need a 2% withdrawal rate at most. You need to retire a decade ago :sharebeer
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

mrspock wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:50 pm

Oh goodness, isn't that what those $19/hr trucks at Home Depot are for? Perhaps I'd put a few suitcases, maybe even a large box containing an OLED TV in the bed, but not much beyond that! Don't want to scuff the Rhino spray-in bed! :D
I bought a utility trailer for $900 22 years ago and that’s what I use it for, hauling “stuff” around, which is an infrequent thing, no need for a truck. I keep it garaged so almost no degradation, original tires too.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:04 pm
...I bought a utility trailer for $900 22 years ago and that’s what I use it for, hauling “stuff” around, which is an infrequent thing, no need for a truck. I keep it garaged so almost no degradation, original tires too.
I am one of those guys who sees no reason at all to waste a perfectly good garage by parking a car (or a trailer) in it. :) :)
metalworking

Post by metalworking »

mrspock wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:50 pm

I bought a utility trailer for $900 22 years ago and that’s what I use it for, hauling “stuff” around, which is an infrequent thing, no need for a truck. I keep it garaged so almost no degradation, original tires too.
I sincerely hope you are not driving that around on 22 year old tires.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I'm in a situation where I want another car, for I do not know what reason other than I want it. It is a Tesla Model 3 Performance. My current car is very fun to drive with under 60k miles on it. It is a german sports coupe and just a blast to drive. I figure I can get a gently used Tesla model 3 performance for under $50k. I know for a fact that I can spend $50k elsewhere and get so much more out of it. But I want that car. Plus, my wife's car is getting a little on the old side and may need a refresh soon. So there goes my Model 3 performance. I guess this is off topic, but you brought up the car, lol.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:07 pm
Stinky wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:15 am
CurlyDave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:15 am We are trying to fight back from a down opening. I have high hopes that we can go over to the soaring thread before the day is out.
S&P is positive on the day.

Nasdaq is still fighting to go into the green.
S&P is definitely green, and very importantly the Curly Family Portfolio turned green seconds ago.
Hope that the Curly family portfolio ended the day in the green.

S&P was in the green today. Nasdaq was oh-so-close to green.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:36 pm
...I bought a utility trailer for $900 22 years ago and that’s what I use it for, hauling “stuff” around, which is an infrequent thing, no need for a truck. I keep it garaged so almost no degradation, original tires too.
I am one of those guys who sees no reason at all to waste a perfectly good garage by parking a car (or a trailer) in it. :) :)
It's the perfect homebrew studio! :sharebeer
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

I interpret this chart to be a mixture of gibberish and numerology. Have seen so many similar charts showing stocks "testing primary resistance levels" or "looking to break out of a trend channel" or "strongly correlated with CAPE divided by GDP/LIBOR." I sure hope no one is paying for this analysis because I can give it for free. The future of stocks is unknown and unknowable, though it is very likely to maintain the general upward trend it has been on for over a century.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

We are designed to refuse the simple answers. Investing is simple, and we wish to make it complicated.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Keenobserver wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:41 pm We are designed to refuse the simple answers. Investing is simple, and we wish to make it complicated.
While I agree it only takes a cursory reading of this forum to see how people want to complicate things and live in the minutiae I also believe many have escaped this snare.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

International stocks continue to soar... :moneybag
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

lostdog wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:46 am International stocks continue to soar... :moneybag
And so do domestic stocks.... :moneybag :moneybag