U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
case_of_ennui

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by case_of_ennui »

fanmail wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:57 pm Easy to mock forester, but there has been a high positive correlation between btc and us equities going for at least this year.
There is also a high correlation between market drops and months divisible by the number 3 this year. I don't plan on acting on either of those.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Silverado wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:23 pm
abuss368 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:44 pm I will be adding fuel injector to my truck when I back up next!!!
Would you please upgrade to a flux capacitor and be al set for good?!?!

1.21 gigawatts!
I think he should add an ion drive. Those things can accelerate to a significant fraction of the speed of light. :D
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Kookaburra wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:41 am
calvin+hobbes wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:01 am The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes. Read that again. No, seriously, read that again. Think about what that says.
Follow-up question: is this 9-10% figure based on simple buy-and-hold, or does it presume some sort of re-balancing and “re-balancing bonus” as a result of crashes?
I assume it’s based on holding the s&p or total US stock market at 100%, therefore, no rebalancing.
Sptm 65 | Vigi 20 | Blv 10 | Btc/Eth 5
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

fanmail wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:57 pm Easy to mock forester, but there has been a high positive correlation between btc and us equities going for at least this year.
This is a light-hearted thread where we muse about the US stock market soaring.

The musings pertaining to our good friend, Forester, are not to be taken seriously... just like his musings pertaining to the direction of the US stock market.
:beer
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Yeah but if you throw 100 cupcakes on the wall, one of them bound to stick. Same with his predictions. I think all signs point to strong market 2021. But again, I dunno nothing. I will keep investing.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Keenobserver wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:01 am
Yeah but if you throw 100 cupcakes on the wall, one of them bound to stick. Same with his predictions. I think all signs point to strong market 2021. But again, I dunno nothing. I will keep investing.
What fun would this Forum be if we all agreed with each other, all the time? :D
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Forester wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:35 am Major red flag for the high-flying tech stocks as Bitcoin crashes inside the last 12 hours. It might be a delayed reaction to the markets as in February 2018, but Bitcoin is essentially the ultimate tech story stock, if Bitcoin goes south this is a leading indicator that the animal spirits are exhausted.
Expensive lessons for those who don’t follow boglehead way. Keep chasing return until you realize you’re the last one holding a bag of dirt.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Stinky wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:05 am
Forester's predictions are a form of entertainment around these parts.
Brokerage: VTI+VXUS || Retirement: VTWAX || Short-Term: Cash+BSV || 33x Expenses
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

International is soaring again.
Brokerage: VTI+VXUS || Retirement: VTWAX || Short-Term: Cash+BSV || 33x Expenses
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

The Forester Effect signal has been validated. According to my IPS its time to back up the truck!
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

lostdog wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:50 am International is soaring again.
NASDAQ is soaring quite nicely also. +1% right now.

Another day of anti rotation. I am holding my QQQ for a while longer.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CurlyDave wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:49 am
lostdog wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:50 am International is soaring again.
NASDAQ is soaring quite nicely also. +1% right now.

Another day of anti rotation. I am holding my QQQ for a while longer.
New intra day high on Nasdaq. Near high on S&P. Dow approaching 30k.

Gobble gobble! What’s not to like?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ It's all gravy.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Vtsax100 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:05 am The Forester Effect signal has been validated. According to my IPS its time to back up the truck!
+1 This might be a real thing to add to your IPS? :twisted: :D :sharebeer
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

VUG, a LCG ETF, is now less than 1% off its high back in early September. It's up 32% YTD, far surpassing my wildest expectations given everything that 2020 has been. :shock:
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

We don't have to agree, but one shouldn't post so confidently over and over and over, after being wrong over and over and over.

If he just added a "I think this might happen", instead of "This will happen" (and then it doesn't), it would certainly help. :)
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

HomerJ wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:38 am
We don't have to agree, but one shouldn't post so confidently over and over and over, after being wrong over and over and over.

If he just added a "I think this might happen", instead of "This will happen" (and then it doesn't), it would certainly help. :)
I agree that no one should be 100% confident in what the future portends. At best, it's annoying, and at worst, it's very dangerous.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:42 am
HomerJ wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:38 am

I agree that no one should be 100% confident in what the future portends. At best, it's annoying, and at worst, it's very dangerous.
Dangerous for the ones that take it seriously and take action.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

A mini melt up before the bell?
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

lostdog wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:51 pm A mini melt up before the bell?
YES!
Candor

Post by Candor »

Another S&P record high. :beer
Time is your friend, impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Weird day, everything I own was ⬆️ :sharebeer
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

dru808 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:04 pm Weird day, everything I own was ⬆️ :sharebeer
I guess everyone is in a Black Friday buying mood. :sharebeer
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Why are equities up? Nothing happened today. Shouldn’t they be just flat?
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Blue456 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 pm Why are equities up? Nothing happened today. Shouldn’t they be just flat?
That would go against the maxim that stocks always go up. :happy
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Blue456 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 pm Why are equities up? Nothing happened today. Shouldn’t they be just flat?
People are always buying and selling... every day. Not sure why you think something has to "happen" for stock prices to change.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Futures are in the green.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

lostdog wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:35 pm Futures are in the green.
NASDAQ +.55% right now. Maybe an early Santa Claus rally, which could be followed by just a plain ordinary Santa Claus rally...
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

reversed course. Looks like a red day tomorrow.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

lostdog wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:16 pm reversed course. Looks like a red day tomorrow.
Where do you go to look at futures? I just google s&p 500 fu... and investing.com always pops up.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

dru808 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:27 pm
lostdog wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:16 pm reversed course. Looks like a red day tomorrow.
Where do you go to look at futures? I just google s&p 500 fu... and investing.com always pops up.
I look at MarketWatch.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

Stinky wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:34 pm
dru808 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:27 pm
I look at MarketWatch.
CNN
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
APX32

Post by APX32 »

I have no idea how accurate these assessments are, but saw multiple stories indicating that due to the strong November, the traditional Santa rally may not happen this year, so look for a flat or down December. Also, the November rally has thrown a lot of 60/40 portfolios out of balance, including some of those large sovereign wealth funds, so expect a 5-7% sell-off in the first 10 days or so of December.

In any event, I’m all done for the year anyway, and will be spending December mapping out next year’s plans. If there’s an unexpectedly large sell-off, there’s some play money to be used to pick-up some UPRO/TQQQ.
40% SPY | 9% GLD | 4% BTC | 2% ARK | 5% VXUS | 40 % Cash (I-bonds, LTTs, MMs)
Pawpatrol

Post by Pawpatrol »

APX32 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:29 pm I have no idea how accurate these assessments are, but saw multiple stories indicating that due to the strong November, the traditional Santa rally may not happen this year, so look for a flat or down December. Also, the November rally has thrown a lot of 60/40 portfolios out of balance, including some of those large sovereign wealth funds, so expect a 5-7% sell-off in the first 10 days or so of December.

In any event, I’m all done for the year anyway, and will be spending December mapping out next year’s plans. If there’s an unexpectedly large sell-off, there’s some play money to be used to pick-up some UPRO/TQQQ.
Im a bogglehead investor but have a hobby in technical analysis. The charts are super bullish for equities (super bullish for small caps), bullish for bonds, and bearish on dollar. I don’t know how this will happen given current conditions but don’t be surprised if you see another parabolic move up here in the coming weeks, esp for small caps. Too many people calling things overbought/extended for this to come crashing down anytime soon. Just my opinion. Once you start hearing a human interest story about some young person making a fortune in the stock market then we will be overbought
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

S&P futures are still in the red, but have rebounded nicely from overnight lows. Nasdaq is nicely green.

Hoping for a good day to close out a GREAT month for equities.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Stinky wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:22 am
S&P futures are still in the red, but have rebounded nicely from overnight lows. Nasdaq is nicely green.

:sharebeer
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Stinky wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:22 am

Lets just say NASDAQ is green. It has to do a lot better than right now to be "nicely green."
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Pawpatrol wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:48 pm
APX32 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:29 pm I have no idea how accurate these assessments are, but saw multiple stories indicating that due to the strong November, the traditional Santa rally may not happen this year, so look for a flat or down December. Also, the November rally has thrown a lot of 60/40 portfolios out of balance, including some of those large sovereign wealth funds, so expect a 5-7% sell-off in the first 10 days or so of December.

Im a bogglehead investor but have a hobby in technical analysis. The charts are super bullish for equities (super bullish for small caps), bullish for bonds, and bearish on dollar. I don’t know how this will happen given current conditions but don’t be surprised if you see another parabolic move up here in the coming weeks, esp for small caps. Too many people calling things overbought/extended for this to come crashing down anytime soon. Just my opinion. Once you start hearing a human interest story about some young person making a fortune in the stock market then we will be overbought
You might appreciate the technical analysis rollup that investing.com presents. Click monthly. This is available for all futures contracts they cover, I think. You might have to create a free account.

https://www.investing.com/indices/us-sp ... -technical
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Why do we care about future again? Are you waiting to put a buy/sell order at 9:30 AM ET?

I don't think future matters in most cases.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Futures are green big time!

As for today, my 401(k) contribution is posting at today's close of market price, so I've done what had to be done - 0.5% more shares is 0.5% more shares.

Post by 000 »

Hyperchicken wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:47 pm Futures are green big time!

As for today, my 401(k) contribution is posting at today's close of market price, so I've done what had to be done - 0.5% more shares is 0.5% more shares.
Japan up bigly.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

000 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:52 pm Japan up bigly.
They're tired of being a scarecrow of everything that might possibly go wrong with the stock market. Go Japan go!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Truck backing up soon with nitros added this time!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

abuss368 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:13 pm Truck backing up soon with nitros added this time!
Everyone stand back abuss is coming in hot.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:25 pm
abuss368 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:13 pm Truck backing up soon with nitros added this time!
That actually made me laugh out load! Thanks and needed that on a night my Philadelphia Eagles are losing again! :sharebeer
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:25 pm
Using nitros... on a truck :confused ... going backwards :shock:
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

But why are futures soaring? This is the first Monday in four weeks that no new vaccine was announced. I was hoping there would be.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 pm But why are futures soaring? This is the first Monday in four weeks that no new vaccine was announced. I was hoping there would be.
Asia pumping is the reason. I don't know why they're pumping though.
keanoz

Post by keanoz »

I wanted to buy tomorrow...of course I miss the cyber monday sale
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 pm But why are futures soaring? This is the first Monday in four weeks that no new vaccine was announced. I was hoping there would be.
I have been suffering from vaccine fatigue. Too many new ones in too little time.