U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Stinky

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

Stocks up over 1.25%.

Legitimate soaring. :moneybag
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Stinky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:42 pm Stocks up over 1.25%.

Legitimate soaring. :moneybag
Chuck Norris gives this soaring a solid '10'.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Well dang. I took a nap and woke up to some green.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Bullard gives pessimism two roundhouse kicks in the face:
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis President James Bullard, in the most upbeat comments by a central banker since the start of the Covid-19 outbreak, said the U.S. economy may surge at a 35% annualized rate in the third quarter and the nation may be close to a complete recovery by year-end...he believed the economic recovery would remain on track even without more fiscal aid.
Source
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Wow! If only that prediction turns out at least a little bit true.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

rchmx1 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:11 pm Wow! If only that prediction turns out at least a little bit true.
I think with the Fed scaring the market so much lately, with its constant demands for more fiscal stimulus, Bullard felt he needed to step up to the plate with some good cheer.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

I’ll take it. Green is good :beer
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Robot Monster wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:24 pm
rchmx1 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:11 pm Wow! If only that prediction turns out at least a little bit true.
I think with the Fed scaring the market so much lately, with its constant demands for more fiscal stimulus, Bullard felt he needed to step up to the plate with some good cheer.
Ya, my thoughts exactly. Hopefully a little bit of optimism will balance out all the recent pessimism and we can keep this thread bumped for at least a couple days.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

I need to take another nap. :oops:
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

gonefishing01 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:33 pm I’ll take it. Green is good :beer
Yeah barely green for the day but good enough.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

jason2459 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:36 pm I need to take another nap. :oops:
Don’t take one for 10 years then take one every day twice as much. Heck sleep all day!!!
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Blue456 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:05 pm
Don’t take one for 10 years then take one every day twice as much. Heck sleep all day!!!
Yeah, I can't believe that worked. :moneybag
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

The market put on quite a show. I wouldn't want to sleep through that.
A fool and your money are soon partners
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

If you sleep all night tonight, stocks will go up too.

Pleasant dreams! :moneybag
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Green..as of yet
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

I added a chunk of VTSAX to my taxable this morning. As soon as I did that the market started to rise again. I blame myself
Steve Reading

Post by Steve Reading »

JD2775 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:43 am I added a chunk of VTSAX to my taxable this morning. As soon as I did that the market started to rise again. I blame myself
#MutualFundStruggles
"... so high a present discounted value of wealth, it is only prudent for him to put more into common stocks compared to his present tangible wealth, borrowing if necessary" - Paul Samuelson
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

JD2775 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:43 am I added a chunk of VTSAX to my taxable this morning. As soon as I did that the market started to rise again. I blame myself
Perfect! Keep buying Total Stock over the long term and building that passive income stream! Many years form now you will be thankful you did just that.

Tune out the noise that you need this or need that or missing this or missing that.

All roads lead to Rome.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:57 am
Perfect! Keep buying Total Stock over the long term and building that passive income stream! Many years form now you will be thankful you did just that.

Tune out the noise that you need this or need that or missing this or missing that.

All roads lead to Rome.
:sharebeer
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Stinky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 pm
If you sleep all night tonight, stocks will go up too.

Pleasant dreams! :moneybag
Take a nap now so that stocks can continue to climb.
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Additionally, this means we'll have a big down day on Monday. :(
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Looks like they are working on a $2.4 trillions package, that might help the market.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

EnjoyIt wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:45 am I’ll be thrilled if we stay flat at around this level s&p 500 3290 - 3390 until a vaccine is approved by the US.

“Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.”

I’m content just being a pig.
I will expand my previous prediction range 3200-3400
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

"Stocks rose as dip buyers appeared after the market slide, tempering concern over a cloudy outlook for a U.S. stimulus package."
Source

I've never understood why dip buying makes the market to go up. Also never mentioned, inexplicably, is the type of dip being bought: guacamole, artichoke, bacon spinach, salsa verde, etc.
Last edited by Robot Monster on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

Guacamole green today. My kinda dip :moneybag

International indexes are still looking like some spicy red peppers though.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

gonefishing01 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:39 pm Guacamole green today. My kinda dip :moneybag

Stocks are soaring and melting up toward the close. S&P up over 1.5%; Nasdaq up over 2%.

It’s looking like a strong close to the week.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

What news does Dow bringeth?
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Stinky wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:16 pm
gonefishing01 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:39 pm Guacamole green today. My kinda dip :moneybag

Stocks are soaring and melting up toward the close. S&P up over 1.5%; Nasdaq up over 2%.

It’s looking like a strong close to the week.
I am loving it. :D
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Crazy stuff!
A fool and your money are soon partners
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Good day, S&P 3600 here we come. Earnings season is going to kick in and the weighing will commence once again.

This correction honestly wasn't surprising, super big yawner.... didn't even come remotely close to triggering my first rebalance band. I needed to see something like 3000 and I would have cashed in for another $100k coupon into my retirement fund courtesy of the bears. Oh well, till next time.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

mrspock wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:15 pm Good day, S&P 3600 here we come. Earnings season is going to kick in and the weighing will commence once again.

This correction honestly wasn't surprising, super big yawner.... didn't even come remotely close to triggering my first rebalance band. I needed to see something like 3000 and I would have cashed in for another $100k coupon into my retirement fund courtesy of the bears. Oh well, till next time.
Lets wait and see what next week.has in store. I did buy more this week.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

'bout time!
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

mrspock wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:15 pm Good day, S&P 3600 here we come.
Sorry, Forester has already declared that off limits:

"SPX 3,500 is like putting a man on the moon; it happened a while ago, it's scarcely believable that it did happen, and it won't happen again for a very long time."
Source
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:46 pm

"SPX 3,500 is like putting a man on the moon; it happened a while ago, it's scarcely believable that it did happen, and it won't happen again for a very long time."
Source
So S&P 3,600 is like putting a man on Mars?

Or maybe Jupiter or Saturn? :D
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Source
Oh....it's going to happen. The run to 3500 we got was just the appetizer of this new bull market, the main course is being cooked up to medium-rare perfection in time for Thanksgiving and the holiday season -- a season close to my heart next to: earnings season, stimulus season, and soon...Vaccine season. Oh boy, I can't even imagine how many pages will be added to this thread over the coming months.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

mrspock wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:31 pm

Source
Oh....it's going to happen. The run to 3500 we got was just the appetizer of this new bull market, the main course is being cooked up to medium-rare perfection in time for Thanksgiving and the holiday season -- a season close to my heart next to: earnings season, stimulus season, and soon...Vaccine season. Oh boy, I can't even imagine how many pages will be added to this thread over the coming months.
Very bullish sentiment pairing nicely with Forester's bearishness, like champagne and strawberries. Personally, I'm nervous about making any near-term predictions, and I'm a little resentful there's no spirit animal that characterizes me. Can we please invent one? I feel left out.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Robot Monster wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:45 am

Source
Very bullish sentiment pairing nicely with Forester's bearishness, like champagne and strawberries. Personally, I'm nervous about making any near-term predictions, and I'm a little resentful there's no spirit animal that characterizes me. Can we please invent one? I feel left out.
Prairie dog, poking head up and down out of burrow due to surrounding uncertainty. Meanwhile the prairie dog's investments are kept in burrow, staying the course.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

clip651 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:41 am
Robot Monster wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:45 am Very bullish sentiment pairing nicely with Forester's bearishness, like champagne and strawberries. Personally, I'm nervous about making any near-term predictions, and I'm a little resentful there's no spirit animal that characterizes me. Can we please invent one? I feel left out.
Prairie dog, poking head up and down out of burrow due to surrounding uncertainty. Meanwhile the prairie dog's investments are kept in burrow, staying the course.
What a tiny animal compared to the bears and bulls. Can't I be something more formidable? A large, grazing animal. Like a cow. (But cow is too close to a bull.) A moose is too Canadian sounding. Speaking of sounding, has to sound good with an "-ish" ending. Prairie-dogish doesn't quite have a ring to it. Want something that pops. Preferably something that starts with the letter "B," matching the bulls' and bears' initial letter. Like...a bison, but don't like the sound of "bisonish". Bull and bear are single syllable. Single syllable 'B' animal words include: Bat, Bird. Nothing satisfies all my criteria. Disappointing. Will have to clear my schedule, so I can put more thought into this.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

Robot Monster wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:43 pm Can't I be something more formidable? A large, grazing animal.
Recently a 6x6 bull elk charged at me during rut season. Quite formidable and intense! An Elk satisfies your one syllable and your Elk-ish criteria, but it does not start with a "b". Elkish behavior is heavily a herd instinct as well, and yes, they graze on everything (index funds?).

Or, you can be a "shark."

:D
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Keep on soaring, U.S. stocks! :beer

"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Colorado Guy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:09 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:43 pm Can't I be something more formidable? A large, grazing animal.
Recently a 6x6 bull elk charged at me during rut season. Quite formidable and intense! An Elk satisfies your one syllable and your Elk-ish criteria, but it does not start with a "b". Elkish behavior is heavily a herd instinct as well, and yes, they graze on everything (index funds?).

Or, you can be a "shark."

:D
Oh, elk is good. Very good. Elk are ruminant animals, meaning they chew their cud like cows, and that's a laid back, take it as it comes, attitude right there. (Did some elk research to uncover that fact.) Already feeling elkish.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Source
Investing like in life, is a far more enjoyable -- and in the former case, profitable -- journey when you resist the urge to become a pessimist. I might be off by a few months, but the odds are dramatically in favor of bulls going forward than the bears, I would be very very surprised if we don't see new highs pretty soon.

Here's my rough roadmap to 3600, which is worth exactly what you are paying for it: Earnings season probably gets us 2% perhaps more, bringing us back to 3360 or so, stimulus approval maybe another 1-1.5%, getting us to 3416, throw in an approved vaccine for another 2%, you are now in spitting distance of 3500 -- 3484. Throw in removal of the election uncertainty good for maybe 1.5%, we'll be around 3540, pretty darn close.

Now perhaps all of these events are utter disasters in the eyes of Mr. Market and we head lower, but I just don't see that as likely.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

oldzey wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:10 pm Keep on soaring, U.S. stocks! :beer
It's subjective, but I wouldn't consider U.S. stocks to be currently soaring when they're still 8% off their ATHs.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Post by 000 »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:45 pm
It's subjective, but I wouldn't consider U.S. stocks to be currently soaring when they're still 8% off their ATHs.
Trying to pierce the echo chamber with logic, eh?

May you have more success in your quest than those who went before you, gallant knight!
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

mrspock wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:35 pm

Source
Investing like in life, is a far more enjoyable -- and in the former case, profitable -- journey when you resist the urge to become a pessimist. I might be off by a few months, but the odds are dramatically in favor of bulls going forward than the bears, I would be very very surprised if we don't see new highs pretty soon.

Here's my rough roadmap to 3600, which is worth exactly what you are paying for it: Earnings season probably gets us 2% perhaps more, bringing us back to 3360 or so, stimulus approval maybe another 1-1.5%, getting us to 3416, throw in an approved vaccine for another 2%, you are now in spitting distance of 3500 -- 3484. Throw in removal of the election uncertainty good for maybe 1.5%, we'll be around 3540, pretty darn close.

Now perhaps all of these events are utter disasters in the eyes of Mr. Market and we head lower, but I just don't see that as likely.
See, I'm not smart enough to figure stuff like that out. When I say, "I know nothing," I literally mean it. Soup dribbles onto my chin when I eat a bowl of it, forcing people to come running with napkins. I can hardly figure out how to get from here to there--certainly not going to be predicting the stock market.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

There are two types of people in stocks. Both types dont know anything. The smart ones know this and admit it. Thr other type ..well
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Keenobserver wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:25 pm There are two types of people in stocks. Both types dont know anything. The smart ones know this and admit it. Thr other type ..well
Wow, I think there’s a 3rd type too.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

VTSAX is up 12.6% since 9/27/19. :beer
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

oldzey wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:20 am
VTSAX is up 12.6% since 9/27/19. :beer
If you go far enough back, then I guess you could say that stocks were soaring on March 23rd, 2020, since they were still up 1.93% since 2017. That doesn't seem right though.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

Robot Monster wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:45 am Very bullish sentiment pairing nicely with Forester's bearishness, like champagne and strawberries. Personally, I'm nervous about making any near-term predictions, and I'm a little resentful there's no spirit animal that characterizes me. Can we please invent one? I feel left out.
My spirit animal is Honey Badger :D He stays the course.