U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
vitaflo

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by vitaflo »

jay22 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:00 pm
vitaflo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:53 pm I'd feel better about the run up if SP500 PE wasn't sitting at almost 31. This is an expensive market.
Maybe. But what is the alternative? Do you plan to stay out of the market until the PE goes down to say 20? What if it doesn't but the market keeps going up?

Not trying to be snarky here, but genuinely curious to see how folks correlate investing with how the market is priced at a given point.
I didn't say I wouldn't invest, I said I'd feel better about it if it wasn't so expensive. I follow my IPS like always but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
jay22

Post by jay22 »

vitaflo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:29 pm
vitaflo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:53 pm I'd feel better about the run up if SP500 PE wasn't sitting at almost 31. This is an expensive market.
Maybe. But what is the alternative? Do you plan to stay out of the market until the PE goes down to say 20? What if it doesn't but the market keeps going up?

Not trying to be snarky here, but genuinely curious to see how folks correlate investing with how the market is priced at a given point.
I didn't say I wouldn't invest, I said I'd feel better about it if it wasn't so expensive. I follow my IPS like always but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
You are right - I misread your post. My apologies.

My point still remains, though - I know there are people out here who do no invest because the markets seem "pricey".
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

vitaflo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:29 pm

+1
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

Is the PE ratio is so high right now because earnings are depressed in many industries? And investors are expecting earnings to rise quite a bit once this virus situation is behind us, which will bring the PE ratio back into historical ranges? If that's the case, these valuations might make sense.
nzahir

Post by nzahir »

Top 5 companies in the S&P500 now make up 25%, not concerning to anyone?

Has happened during huge bubbles near the peak
Johnny Thinwallet

Post by Johnny Thinwallet »

I have no clue why markets are as high as they are, other than the work of Fed/TINA, I guess. It sometimes seems that the higher we go the harder the fall (pullback) might feel. My portfolio increase from the number things "bottomed out" at in March vs. now is incredible. That said, I'm following my IPS. In March I flipped all new contributions to 100 percent stocks, per my IPS. Finally last week I reset my new contributions back to my standard 75/25 stock/bond split, per my IPS.

My only short-term favor is this: can we set another all-time high at Friday's close? That way we can all be feeling great over a three day weekend. :sharebeer
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Robinhood made $180 million in trading revenue in the second quarter, roughly double from the prior quarter, as investors flocked to platform seeking to ride the historic market rebound.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/02/robinho ... -fine.html

Robinhooders' is not a new phenomina, but it seems it is getting worse. Because of this, I call the market top.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

nzahir wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:44 pm Top 5 companies in the S&P500 now make up 25%, not concerning to anyone?

Gambling 25% of one's portfolio on individual stocks is discouraged on this board. Yet when those 5 stocks are part of the SP500 it is accepted. This seems somewhat funny.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

7eight9 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:13 pm
nzahir wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:44 pm Top 5 companies in the S&P500 now make up 25%, not concerning to anyone?

Gambling 25% of one's portfolio on individual stocks is discouraged on this board. Yet when those 5 stocks are part of the SP500 it is accepted. This seems somewhat funny.
I believe many bogleheads prefer total market over the S&P 500. In some accounts, I hold S&P 500 because it's the only low cost choice available in my account. Otherwise, I would hold total market in those accounts.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

I doubt many are 100% SP500. I'm near 100% equities but certainly not that heavily weighted to those 5 stocks.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:18 pm

I believe many bogleheads prefer total market over the S&P 500. In some accounts, I hold S&P 500 because it's the only low cost choice available in my account. Otherwise, I would hold total market in those accounts.
Even looking at Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares (VTSMX) the top five obviously comprise a significant percentage of the portfolio. Probably more than many would consider prudent to risk in individual stocks.

Month-end 10 largest holdings
(23.90% of total net assets) as of 07/31/2020

1 Apple Inc.
2 Microsoft Corp.
3 Amazon.com Inc.
4 Alphabet Inc.
5 Facebook Inc.
6 Johnson & Johnson
7 Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
8 Procter & Gamble Co.
9 Visa Inc.
10 UnitedHealth Group Inc.
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... view/vtsmx
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

The difference is that the market picks the winners, and you don't try to reshuffle.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

I am not sure if holding those individual 5 stocks is the same as holding 25% of the portfolio in S&P500.
S&P500 is continously rebalancing and will ALWAYS have the top companies in it in any given point of time, even if those 5 stocks crashed to zero. On the other hand, if you instead own those specific CURRENT top 5 companies and they crashed, you lost your money forever
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Keep on soaring, U.S. stocks! :sharebeer

:moneybag
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:58 pm

I am not sure if holding those individual 5 stocks is the same as holding 25% of the portfolio in S&P500.
S&P500 is continously rebalancing and will ALWAYS have the top companies in it in any given point of time, even if those 5 stocks crashed to zero. On the other hand, if you instead own those specific CURRENT top 5 companies and they crashed, you lost your money forever
There will always be a top five companies but will they aren't always such a disproportionate part of the index.

(2017) Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL), Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT), Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN), and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) are the 5 largest holdings of the S&P 500 accounting for 11.74% of the index.
https://www.investivdaily.com/think-the ... otherwise/
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

It was a rough start to the day but in the end things turned out well. I did a lot repositioning and added to my equity holdings.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

if TSLA gets added to SP500, will S&P climb to 7000?
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

7eight9 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:04 pm
BogleMelon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:58 pm

There will always be a top five companies but will they aren't always such a disproportionate part of the index.

(2017) Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL), Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT), Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN), and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) are the 5 largest holdings of the S&P 500 accounting for 11.74% of the index.
https://www.investivdaily.com/think-the ... otherwise/
I was curious about this exact thing the other day when I calculated that AAPL was about 7% of the SP500. In 2000, GE was #1 and it made up a little more than 4%.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

bugleheadd wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:50 pm if TSLA gets added to SP500, will S&P climb to 7000?
S&P will get split 5-to-1, from 3800 to 760.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

lostdog wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:14 pm Melt up at the end today?
Bigly
A fool and your money are soon partners
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

bugleheadd wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:50 pm if TSLA gets added to SP500, will S&P climb to 7000?
Yes, if TSLA gets added to the SP500. At the current rate TSLA by itself will grow equal to the current value of the SP500 in a few years. It’s already worth about 1.6% of the SP500.

2*3500=7000.

What’s that I hear you protest? Many people can’t afford to buy their cars? There’s a simple solution to that. Buy $5k worth of Tesla stock. Wait a year. Sell it and buy a Tesla ;).

(I kid, I kid. I hope Tesla does well but don’t own any of their stock except in VTSAX.)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

7eight9 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:29 pm
ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:18 pm

Even looking at Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares (VTSMX) the top five obviously comprise a significant percentage of the portfolio. Probably more than many would consider prudent to risk in individual stocks.

Month-end 10 largest holdings
(23.90% of total net assets) as of 07/31/2020

1 Apple Inc.
2 Microsoft Corp.
3 Amazon.com Inc.
4 Alphabet Inc.
5 Facebook Inc.
6 Johnson & Johnson
7 Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
8 Procter & Gamble Co.
9 Visa Inc.
10 UnitedHealth Group Inc.
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... view/vtsmx
Except I'm 45/55 stocks/bonds, so those top 10 holdings are only 10.75% of my portfolio.

All TEN could go to ZERO, and I'd lose 10.75% and be fine. That's diversified.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
cogito

Post by cogito »

A younger, unemployed friend of mine told me today that if the market continued to grow at the rate it had in August, he wouldn't need to look for work anymore. My response was that not only would he not need to look for work, within 5 or 6 years he would have over 500 billion dollars, and be the richest man on the planet. :sharebeer
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:47 pm It was a rough start to the day but in the end things turned out well. I did a lot repositioning and added to my equity holdings.
Serious question. Why are you doing "a lot" of repositioning? Why are you adding to your equity holdings today? And not yesterday or last month?

Whatever system you are using is not working well if you were buying today, and not yesterday or last month.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:36 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:47 pm It was a rough start to the day but in the end things turned out well. I did a lot repositioning and added to my equity holdings.
Serious question. Why are you doing "a lot" of repositioning? Why are you adding to your equity holdings today? And not yesterday or last month?

Whatever system you are using is not working well if you were buying today, and not yesterday or last month.
Today's repositioning was to reduce the amount of Tesla held in my ETFs after its big run. Converted some QQQ to a combination of IYT, XLC, XLK and XLY in one account, poof no Tesla. To be clear I still have a fair amount of QQQ too. Also, added more to my RSP as I have for a couple weeks to take advantage of the catch-up play of non-Large Cap non-growth stocks. As far as adding to equities allocation I would have to check but I am pretty sure I have been doing it pretty consistently since about April. I may have increased it all 3 days this week or possibly just 2, not sure. Pretty sure I have posted fairly often about increasing my equity holdings. Whether the system works well or not who knows. That would be the high level answer to your questions.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Europe and Japan are soaring but the futures for the Nasdaq are down.

There might be some profit taking for tech today.
RayKeynes

Post by RayKeynes »

Good that I have bought 15 put options contracts yesterday in SPY maturing on Friday. :sharebeer
Reduced my leveraged holdings (UPRO) to 0 yesterday.

I will releverage once SMA230-deviation to GSPC is below 12%. Currently sitting @ 14.0%
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Weeeeeeeeee!
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:59 am Weeeeeeeeee!
My tummy seems to have gotten out of place.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

mrspock wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:17 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:43 pm This is getting ridiculous. Maybe my wife is right when she doesn't get at all excited and says that it's just numbers on a screen until we cash out.
She's going to really get herself into a pickle when she reads that Boglehead believe in holding their investments till the grave...and even then, having their heirs collect the step up in cost basis, and continue holding. In other words, there is no "cash out" day -- not even when you die, if your heirs play their cards right.

At some point the gains should be considered "real". I actually consider them real the precise day they hit a new high, as that's statistically when I could retire and have a high confidence of collecting my 3.5-4% SWR retirement per the value on that. It can go up and down from there, but statistically....I'm in better and better shape as each new high is achieved.
Oh, she understands that we can convert it all to cash and have it in our checking at any time (at least in theory, as obviously some accounts are tax advantaged and not readily accessible and others will incur capital gains taxes). She thinks it's nuts that we can gain or lose thousands of dollars in a day. She knows to hold tight! Actually, she probably really doesn't care and trusts me to handle it, which works out fine for us. She has the same mindset on saving as I do, so I'm happy to handle the investment part. :beer
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Party's over. Time to cash out. :moneybag :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:
Forester

Post by Forester »

Junk Stock Index (VOO) -2.47%

Small Cap Value (VIOV) -0.67% (hardly noticeable)

The tale of the 2020s?
GoodOmens

Post by GoodOmens »

H-Town wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:08 am Party's over. Time to cash out. :moneybag :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:
The stock market seems to be like a realtor pushing housing:
  • Economy is doing well? Now is the time to buy before it gets too expensive.
  • Economy doing badly: Now is the time to buy and get a good deal
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Well I am definitely taking a beating. (sigh)
Stef

Post by Stef »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:32 am Well I am definitely taking a beating. (sigh)
Should I buy QQQ today? I'm constantly thinking about doing 1/3 QQQ 2/3 VTI for my US exposure. Maybe today would be a good day to make the switch.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Stef wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:38 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:32 am Well I am definitely taking a beating. (sigh)
Should I buy QQQ today? I'm constantly thinking about doing 1/3 QQQ 2/3 VTI for my US exposure. Maybe today would be a good day to make the switch.
Performance chasing is a losing strategy. What does your IPS say?
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Stef

Post by Stef »

EnjoyIt wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:48 am Performance chasing is a losing strategy. What does your IPS say?
IPS says that I don't know nothing and shouldn't chase past winners.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Stef wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:03 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:48 am Performance chasing is a losing strategy. What does your IPS say?
IPS says that I don't know nothing and shouldn't chase past winners.
My IPS says "follow your dreams." I keep it simple, yo.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
jay22

Post by jay22 »

Today would be a great day to buy QQQ.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

LOL. You tilted to SCV, then capitulated because it underperformed. Now that QQQ is on fire (for quite a while I would say) you want to jump on?

SCV at-least has rational reasons to outperform long-term. This seems like a terrible decision.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

I would not buy anything today that I didn't already hold.
jay22

Post by jay22 »

Mr. Powell needs to wake up!
McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty »

mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Should we warm this thread up for tomorrow? If history is any lesson, Mr. Market is about to buy you a free OLED TV for every 100k you buy today.

A month from now.... probably new highs.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

mrspock wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:03 pm Should we warm this thread up for tomorrow? If history is any lesson, Mr. Market is about to buy you a free OLED TV for every 100k you buy today.

Probably. Robinhood traders will be back at "buying the dip" soon enough. If the S&P drops 5%, I'm hitting the rebalance button.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

mrspock wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:03 pm Should we warm this thread up for tomorrow? If history is any lesson, Mr. Market is about to buy you a free OLED TV for every 100k you buy today.

Late day melt-up also possible.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
Filetmerlot

Post by Filetmerlot »

Well, I wanted to reach 2 commas in investable assets before my 45th birthday (which was earlier this week). I crossed that mark on Monday, but it looks like that party wont last to the end of the day. Oh well.

When I cross it again do I get to celebrate again with another bottle of 10 y/o barleywine?
Stef

Post by Stef »

MotoTrojan wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:22 am LOL. You tilted to SCV, then capitulated because it underperformed. Now that QQQ is on fire (for quite a while I would say) you want to jump on?

SCV at-least has rational reasons to outperform long-term. This seems like a terrible decision.
You are right. I think the best thing for me would just to hold the market. I think I just can't handle underperforming the market.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Forester wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:16 am Junk Stock Index (VOO) -2.47%

Small Cap Value (VIOV) -0.67% (hardly noticeable)

The tale of the 2020s?
Thanks for the prediction. We'll be soaring tomorrow. :sharebeer
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

Why is there a dash next to today's stock gains? And why is it red?? This makes no sense