U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
TheTimeLord

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord »

atdharris wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:07 am
lostdog wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:39 am
atdharris wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:15 am I believe we really are in a tech revolution. The pandemic has just sped up the process.
Let's party like it's 1999...
I don't see many comparisons. Yes, tech is expensive, but given the current monetary environment and the massive shift towards digital, many of these moves are justified (yes, some are not, but many are). I am not convinced we revert back to how life was even when we have a vaccine/treatment for covid. Especially in the business environment.
Think how many older bank customers have been forced to learn how to use online banking due to Covid, do you really think they will even want to go back now that they are competent with the technology? Or curbside delivery at the grocery store, is it really that fun to wander around and wait in line to check out?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

atdharris wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:15 am I believe we really are in a tech revolution. The pandemic has just sped up the process.
If I had a time machine going back to 1999, I would sell at the top :mrgreen: :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag

Are tech stocks current valuation make sense to any of you?
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

firebirdparts wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:31 am You just have to give them all time. No big deal. The split is, by definition, immaterial after the whole world resets itself, and it will.

I was reading an article about Gerald Cotten, the guy who "died" in India and took everybody's bitcoins with him, and I learned something about his history that I hadn't thought of on my own. that is, people will enthusiastically get into a ponzi scheme with full knowledge if they think they can get out before the operator fakes his own death. I should have realized that, but I didn't.

So there are plenty of people who don't care if Tesla makes another car, ever. They just care that they sell before the day of reckoning. I also think there are a lot of people who "believe in it" more than they believe in the money. They might hold no matter what.
The Greater Fool Theory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

We maybe in a bubble and we maybe headed for a correction but I'll continue to bask in the bull run, get some more earnings, and when the time comes take advantage of some discounted equities. Aka, do nothing different.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Whakamole wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:15 am
firebirdparts wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:31 am You just have to give them all time. No big deal. The split is, by definition, immaterial after the whole world resets itself, and it will.

I was reading an article about Gerald Cotten, the guy who "died" in India and took everybody's bitcoins with him, and I learned something about his history that I hadn't thought of on my own. that is, people will enthusiastically get into a ponzi scheme with full knowledge if they think they can get out before the operator fakes his own death. I should have realized that, but I didn't.

So there are plenty of people who don't care if Tesla makes another car, ever. They just care that they sell before the day of reckoning. I also think there are a lot of people who "believe in it" more than they believe in the money. They might hold no matter what.
Just for discussions sake, would you agree Tesla is pretty much where every traditional car company wants to be in terms of EV, battery life, no traditional dealer network to deal with and autonomous driving? If so then Tesla is already in the future everyone else is trying to create with from what I can tell zero advertising spend. How many billions will these other companies need to spend to catch up and will Tesla stand still while they try? I think for the most part that would sum up the bull case.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

jason2459 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:18 am We maybe in a bubble and we maybe headed for a correction but I'll continue to bask in the bull run, get some more earnings, and when the time comes take advantage of some discounted equities. Aka, do nothing different.
You could make that into song lyrics.

maybe we in a bubble
maybe we headed for correction
but I'll bask in the bull run till then
gonna get some more earnings

and when, yes when the time comes
when that the great big bubble pops
those discounted stocks will come knocking on my door
and say, "howdy there, partner,
nice to see you, friend"

and, so, yes, so the lesson is
do nothing different
no, do nothing different
no, do nothing different

(guitar solo)
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
Stef

Post by Stef »

H-Town wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:14 am
If I had a time machine going back to 1999, I would sell at the top :mrgreen: :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag

I'm not sure if tech stocks follow normal market rules.

I mean who knows, maybe Tesla will be worth 3T next year?
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:34 am
jason2459 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:18 am We maybe in a bubble and we maybe headed for a correction but I'll continue to bask in the bull run, get some more earnings, and when the time comes take advantage of some discounted equities. Aka, do nothing different.
You could make that into song lyrics.

maybe we in a bubble
maybe we headed for correction
but I'll bask in the bull run till then
gonna get some more earnings

and when, yes when the time comes
when that the great big bubble pops
those discounted stocks will come knocking on my door
and say, "howdy there, partner,
nice to see you, friend"

and, so, yes, so the lesson is
do nothing different
no, do nothing different
no, do nothing different

(guitar solo)
Hahaha! That's awesome.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Many of them make perfect sense, others not really. Then again I believe that value is relative.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:53 am ... I didn't notice anyone commenting yesterday on Amazon receiving approval for drone delivery. But just because we are on that track it doesn't mean something won't come along to muck it up.
Well, I will comment, but I don't think this is going to be quite as revolutionary as Amazon does.

The US military has already developed a small, portable device that can knock military-grade drones out of the sky. Commercial drones are probably easier.

I can easily envision a new Cargo Cult developing -- preying on delivery drones.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:55 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:53 am ... I didn't notice anyone commenting yesterday on Amazon receiving approval for drone delivery. But just because we are on that track it doesn't mean something won't come along to muck it up.
Well, I will comment, but I don't think this is going to be quite as revolutionary as Amazon does.

The US military has already developed a small, portable device that can knock military-grade drones out of the sky. Commercial drones are probably easier.

I can easily envision a new Cargo Cult developing -- preying on delivery drones.
The cost of delivery to low population areas is huge, this would open up same day delivery to another segment of the population that probably doesn't have easy access to stores.
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

Zoom (126 B) now has a market cap higher than Lockheed Martin (108 B) or IBM (110B).
grettman

Post by grettman »

BackOfTheNet wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:18 am Zoom (126 B) now has a market cap higher than Lockheed Martin (108 B) or IBM (110B).
That is insane.
texasfight

Post by texasfight »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:45 am
I agree.

A few weeks ago when I was talking about Creative Destruction no one commented on it. But we are watching it in real time.
What we are witnessing is the greatest devaluation of labor and revaluation of capital in human history. This is coming from a newly minted 26 yr old millionaire who understands what the US economy has become. I feel bad for my peers. Majority of them won't be able to afford a home, family, or retirement if they aren't getting an inheritance.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

texasfight wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:53 am
I agree.

A few weeks ago when I was talking about Creative Destruction no one commented on it. But we are watching it in real time.
What we are witnessing is the greatest devaluation of labor and revaluation of capital in human history.
I don't think that labor will be devalued over the long-term, but the contributions of labor are certainly being overhauled. Gary Kasparov, the world chess champion who was defeated by a computer program, believes that AI will be used to complement human efforts rather than substitute them in most instances. That's much more in line with the general trends we've seen since the Industrial Revolution than the notion that AI and machines will make humans entirely obsolete.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
softmax

Post by softmax »

I think this time is different. In 1999 tech was considered a new industry, but now it's a *traditional* industry which is much more mature.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

grettman wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:47 am
BackOfTheNet wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:18 am Zoom (126 B) now has a market cap higher than Lockheed Martin (108 B) or IBM (110B).
That is insane.
I know, who thinks IBM is worth $110B?
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I agree.

What we are witnessing is the greatest devaluation of labor and revaluation of capital in human history. This is coming from a newly minted 26 yr old millionaire who understands what the US economy has become. I feel bad for my peers. Majority of them won't be able to afford a home, family, or retirement if they aren't getting an inheritance.
More likely a reallocation of labor. Affordable traditional housing has been an issue for at least 20 years.
texasfight

Post by texasfight »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:01 pm
I agree.

What we are witnessing is the greatest devaluation of labor and revaluation of capital in human history.
I don't think that labor will be devalued over the long-term, but the contributions of labor are certainly being overhauled. Gary Kasparov, the world chess champion who was defeated by a computer program, believes that AI will be used to complement human efforts rather than substitute them in most instances. That's much more in line with the general trends we've seen since the Industrial Revolution than the notion that AI and machines will make humans entirely obsolete.
It absolutely has been devalued and will continue to be. Net worth by generation getting lower and lower for each subsequent generation. Negative real rates to devalue a currency and increase stock multiples indefinitely has a limit, and that limit is societal decay. Which is why we see the decay across middle class America and increase in deaths of despair, plain giving up hope on having a family, and an angrier and angrier populace.
texasfight

Post by texasfight »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:10 pm
I agree.

More likely a reallocation of labor. Affordable traditional housing has been an issue for at least 20 years.
Real median wages going nowhere since 1971 when the US economy was financialized. And that is going off CPI.

CPI has been getting more and more massaged, and financialization larger and larger, which is why the problems above are rising exponentially.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:24 am
Whakamole wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:15 am

Just for discussions sake, would you agree Tesla is pretty much where every traditional car company wants to be in terms of EV, battery life, no traditional dealer network to deal with and autonomous driving? If so then Tesla is already in the future everyone else is trying to create with from what I can tell zero advertising spend. How many billions will these other companies need to spend to catch up and will Tesla stand still while they try? I think for the most part that would sum up the bull case.
That was priced in several hundred dollars per share ago. That's the bear case.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

texasfight wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:15 pm
I agree.

Real median wages going nowhere since 1971 when the US economy was financialized. And that is going off CPI.

CPI has been getting more and more massaged, and financialization larger and larger, which is why the problems above are rising exponentially.
texasfight

Post by texasfight »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:23 pm

I agree.

Hmmm the chart I was looking at had it flat. I wonder what chart crime they committed.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

texasfight wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:39 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:23 pm

Hmmm the chart I was looking at had it flat. I wonder what chart crime they committed.
Could be wages versus income, working longer for the same wage.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:53 pm
lostdog wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:13 pm Hopefully the QQQer's can time it right before the everyone starts bailing to take profits on tech.
I will gladly take a percent or two haircut for being too late to leave after the gains I have received from QQQ. I think being too late to join is a bigger problem than being too late to leave.
:D
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I feel a late day surge coming! :moneybag
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Stinky wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:03 pm I feel a late day surge coming! :moneybag
Told you not to eat the burrito for lunch.
keanoz

Post by keanoz »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:09 pm
Stinky wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:03 pm I feel a late day surge coming! :moneybag
Told you not to eat the burrito for lunch.
:D
Stef

Post by Stef »

Someone watched the Nvidia presentation? What a huge percormance increase compared to the last gen! This will let US stocks soar even further :mrgreen:
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

I am still waiting for this predicted melt-up.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:39 pm
I am still waiting for this predicted melt-up.
The melt up for S&P and Nasdaq waited until the last 10 trading minutes or so.

Then the market SOARED!

New highs all around! :moneybag
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:59 am
CurlyDave wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:45 am
lostdog wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:57 am Are the QQQ people going to make some :moneybag today?

I suspect the Curly family will ha e another all time high. :sharebeer
Well, we opened at an all-time high for opening. :D :D

If it holds up for the entire day it will be another good day. Maybe even a very good day.

TheTimeLord is probably filling up his money bin also.
I think there is a good chance QQQ will bowl a perfect game very soon.
Strike, Strike, Strike in the 10th.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

Rounding the corner and heading for home!
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

Great day for flying. :moneybag
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Tonight's question, do you think the NASDAQ will hit 13,000 before having a 5% pullback?
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Stef wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:30 pm Someone watched the Nvidia presentation? What a huge percormance increase compared to the last gen! This will let US stocks soar even further :mrgreen:
It just works!
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:46 pm Tonight's question, do you think the NASDAQ will hit 13,000 before having a 5% pullback?
"Nobody knows nothing," but I have a fair amount of money bet on 12,000 before there is a pullback. That might be reachable tomorrow, the way it has been running.

I think 13,000 is on the agenda for this year, but the twists and turns along the way -- above my pay grade.

Post by 000 »

Anybody here buying calls?
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

000 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:02 pm Anybody here buying calls?
No, occasionally consider it but never feel certain enough to pull he trigger. I have a friend who does and it seems a pretty close to gambling to me but obviously there are lots of people who participate.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:35 pm Where is that guy who said it would take years before we would get to page 170 on the "Soaring" page?

Having said that, Im sure there are some bumps ahead. Hate to sound old but I grafuated from . In the end, the market always rises.college in 1o7. seen 1987, 2000/01, 2009 and retired Dec 1, 2018
Christmas Eve 2018 was of my favorite investing days ever. Actually that whole week was pretty darn awesome.
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:35 pm Where is that guy who said it would take years before we would get to page 170 on the "Soaring" page?
You do realize now that you said that we will see the deepest most severe and longest market crash of all time as soon as we hit page 169 and we'll have to move over to the free fall thread for the next decade.
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:20 pm
No, occasionally consider it but never feel certain enough to pull he trigger. I have a friend who does and it seems a pretty close to gambling to me but obviously there are lots of people who participate.
It is gambling. I pulled the trigger mon day at the open on spy360 12/31 and now up 20%. Have more money to avg down if it drops. Buy the dips.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:39 pm

Having said that, Im sure there are some bumps ahead. Hate to sound old but I gradated from college into the morass of 1975. Saw 1987, 2000/01, 2009 and retired Dec 1, 2018. Somehow, the market always rises

Christmas Eve 2018 was of my favorite investing days ever. Actually that whole week was pretty darn awesome.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

bugleheadd wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:51 pm
It is gambling. I pulled the trigger mon day at the open on spy360 12/31 and now up 20%. Have more money to avg down if it drops. Buy the dips.
What's your break even? Or do you just plan to sell the options at some point before expiration?

Post by 000 »

What is your strategy for picking strike and expiration?
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:58 pm
What's your break even? Or do you just plan to sell the options at some point before expiration?
I'll probably roll out to a higher strike tommorow to take profits . I wouldn't try holding to exp date. I'm trying not to get too greedy. 20-50% gains is good for me. I don't want to fall in trap of hoping for a few hundred percent gains.
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

000 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 pm
No exact strategy, but just something I feel is less risky. Meaning not too far out the money, and choose longer expiration. Spy 360 doesn't sound too impossible 3 months out. Also I only bought in with a small percent of my holdings and prepared to avg down if my spy call drops at least 10-20%.

This is also partly fueled by my belief the fed is keeping the markets pumped.

Post by 000 »

bugleheadd wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:24 pm No exact strategy, but just something I feel is less risky. Meaning not too far out the money, and choose longer expiration. Spy 360 doesn't sound too impossible 3 months out. Also I only bought in with a small percent of my holdings and prepared to avg down if my spy call drops at least 10-20%.

I see. Thanks.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Independent George wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:57 pm
Stef wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:30 pm Someone watched the Nvidia presentation? What a huge percormance increase compared to the last gen! This will let US stocks soar even further :mrgreen:
It just works!
I just bought a 1650 GTX video card.
Steve Reading

Post by Steve Reading »

bugleheadd wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:24 pm
000 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 pm
No exact strategy, but just something I feel is less risky. Meaning not too far out the money, and choose longer expiration. Spy 360 doesn't sound too impossible 3 months out. Also I only bought in with a small percent of my holdings and prepared to avg down if my spy call drops at least 10-20%.

Do you own bonds (ex: VBTLX/BND, etc)?
"... so high a present discounted value of wealth, it is only prudent for him to put more into common stocks compared to his present tangible wealth, borrowing if necessary" - Paul Samuelson