U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
lostdog

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

occambogle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:26 am Looks like the WSB guys just woke up... TSLA up more than 5% :-)
WSB= r/wallstreetbets
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

lostdog wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:28 am WSB= r/wallstreetbets
Apologies, I should have written it in full... too many acronyms can be annoying. Still, the surge in TSLA this year just keeps going and going....
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

aman was going to purchase Arkss this morn..but didnt.its soaring since
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

aman was going to purchase Arkss this morn..but didnt.its soaring since
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

aman was going to purchase Arkk this morn..but didnt.its soaring since
A_Bond

Post by A_Bond »

I did not anticipate soaring. Nevertheless, S&P now positive and NASDAQ has popped.
buy. hold. repeat.
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

Apple +4%, Tesla +11%... stock splits don't have any bearing on the actual value of the company - umm... right?
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

Every Tesla apparently comes fully stocked with tulips now. That’s the only thing that explains its price imo.

Insane.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Gufomel wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:19 am Every Tesla apparently comes fully stocked with tulips now. That’s the only thing that explains its price imo.

Insane.
I think you are looking for the Free Fall thread.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Gufomel wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:19 am Every Tesla apparently comes fully stocked with tulips now. That’s the only thing that explains its price imo.

Insane.
I get the feeling every time Musk is in the news, a few more people go out and buy Tesla.

The tulips come with the shares, still have get your own tulips if you buy a car.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

occambogle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:26 am Looks like the WSB guys just woke up... TSLA up more than 5% :-)
10% now... wow. Somebody should explain to TSLA shareholders how splits work :P .
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

mrspock wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:22 am
10% now... wow. Somebody should explain to TSLA shareholders how splits work :P .
Got to buy stock to write covered calls.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

occambogle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:11 am Apple +4%, Tesla +11%... stock splits don't have any bearing on the actual value of the company - umm... right?
1. Any publicity is good publicity -- as long as they spell your name right.

2. A seldom-discussed benefit of stock splits is that they diversify ownership. Maybe there is more to that than we have been thinking.
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

I was wondering... how existing limit orders work on stock splits. Like if someone placed a good-til-cancel limit order to buy Tesla at say less than $800 (pre-split price) a month ago and totally forgot about it, would it still execute using the post-split price? Or are brokerage systems smart enough to change/cancel it?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

occambogle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 am I was wondering... how existing limit orders work on stock splits. Like if someone placed a good-til-cancel limit order to buy Tesla at say less than $800 (pre-split price) a month ago and totally forgot about it, would it still execute using the post-split price? Or are brokerage systems smart enough to change/cancel it?
E Trade had a notice over the weekend that existing orders "might" be cancelled. I didn't look at the details because I haven't bought an individual stock in years.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Insane.
Timelord posted the below images. I think maybe the bull case for Tesla is it will take over the entire car industry when car buyers gradually switch over to buying electric vehicles. Tesla has better technology then its electric vehicle competitors, and if I'm not mistaken, much of it is patented(?) I think the bear case is, Tesla got a head start making EVs, but its competitors will catch up in terms of technology, and then sales, and Tesla will not dominate the industry like Telsa investors fantasize it will.

"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

Any idea why the PE went from 1030 or so to 249 now after the split? The market cap also shows 90B on Google, perhaps it's just not updated? The PE should be on EPS so the split should not make any difference as the EPS splits as well.

As for valuations, isn't a typical growth stock around 50-60 PE? Last time I checked TSLA had a PE of 1030.

The $300/share before the crazy run up already took into account the potential game changing aspect of the company otherwise the shares would've been $40-50 if that.

Anything above $300/share or $60/share after the split is simply absurd for this company. It's about 10X overvalued in my view.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:36 am Any idea why the PE went from 1030 or so to 249 now after the split? The market cap also shows 90B on Google, perhaps it's just not updated? The PE should be on EPS so the split should not make any difference as the EPS splits as well.
You just have to give them all time. No big deal. The split is, by definition, immaterial after the whole world resets itself, and it will.

I was reading an article about Gerald Cotten, the guy who "died" in India and took everybody's bitcoins with him, and I learned something about his history that I hadn't thought of on my own. that is, people will enthusiastically get into a ponzi scheme with full knowledge if they think they can get out before the operator fakes his own death. I should have realized that, but I didn't.

So there are plenty of people who don't care if Tesla makes another car, ever. They just care that they sell before the day of reckoning. I also think there are a lot of people who "believe in it" more than they believe in the money. They might hold no matter what.
A fool and your money are soon partners
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Hopefully the QQQer's can time it right before the everyone starts bailing to take profits on tech.
Stef

Post by Stef »

U.S. tech stocks are now worth more than the entire European stock market
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/28/us-tech ... arket.html

US stocks aren't just soaring. They are taking over the world.
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

Stef wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:13 pm U.S. tech stocks are now worth more than the entire European stock market

I encountered the below claim recently. Can it possibly be true? Offhand I can't think of a lot of large, newer European companies. But are there none?
Fragmented government helps. One of the reasons Renaissance Italy was so innovative was that it was easy for business and artistic innovators to leave an inhospitable city-state for a more welcoming one. In contrast today, most European states are quite centralized, and that centralization has been exacerbated by the overlay of the European Union’s bureaucracy. It is shocking, but thus not surprising, that of Europe’s 100 most valuable companies, not one was created in the last 40 years.
Unleashing the Freedom to Innovate
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Alaric wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:27 pm
Stef wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:13 pm U.S. tech stocks are now worth more than the entire European stock market

I encountered the below claim recently. Can it possibly be true? Offhand I can't think of a lot of large, newer European companies. But are there none?
Fragmented government helps. One of the reasons Renaissance Italy was so innovative was that it was easy for business and artistic innovators to leave an inhospitable city-state for a more welcoming one. In contrast today, most European states are quite centralized, and that centralization has been exacerbated by the overlay of the European Union’s bureaucracy. It is shocking, but thus not surprising, that of Europe’s 100 most valuable companies, not one was created in the last 40 years.
Is Britain part of Europe? They have AstraZeneca, founded in 1999. GSK formed in 2000.

Novartis was founded 24 years ago, but from a merger. ASML founded 36 years ago. LVMH founded 33 years ago.

On the other hand...

Nestle was founded in 1866, but was Anglo-Swiss Condensed Milk Company, so guessing Hot Pockets wasn't yet part of their product line, nor probably the vast majority of what they now sell. Roche founded in 1896. Sanofi founded 47 years ago in '73. SAP founded 48 years ago.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
texasfight

Post by texasfight »

10 real yield new lows, nasdaq all time highs. Remember that these are the same trade.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

The market can remain theoretically irrational longer than most shorts can stay liquid.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

texasfight wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:58 pm 10 real yield new lows, nasdaq all time highs. Remember that these are the same trade.
PIMCO 15+ Year TIPS ETF (LTPZ) up 1.44%, beating QQQ, even. Wild.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Xrayman69 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:21 pm
The market can remain theoretically irrational longer than most shorts can stay liquid.
Trying to learn more about the demographics of those on the Robinhood platform. I suspect they have lower net worth, less experience with financial related topics, and typically feel absolute single share price is correlated with perception of how “expensive” a stock “feels”.

They should really not affect the price of a stock like Apple or Tesla given their large market shares and that the majority of shares are likely institutionally owned. The stock prices after the splits may be affected by the lack of sellers and thus the scarcity of available stocks for purchase to those now interested at these new lower cost points of entry (despite availability of partial shares).
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

lostdog wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:13 pm Hopefully the QQQer's can time it right before the everyone starts bailing to take profits on tech.
I will gladly take a percent or two haircut for being too late to leave after the gains I have received from QQQ. I think being too late to join is a bigger problem than being too late to leave.
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

Alaric wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:27 pm

Spotify
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:53 pm
lostdog wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:13 pm Hopefully the QQQer's can time it right before the everyone starts bailing to take profits on tech.
I will gladly take a percent or two haircut for being too late to leave after the gains I have received from QQQ. I think being too late to join is a bigger problem than being too late to leave.
You're scaring me TL. You're really getting into this whole "beat the market" new hobby of yours. :)

You really think the worst you're going to do is lose 1%-2% from the top? Are you really going to jump out if QQQ drops just 1%? Now, you've got a bunch of gains, so you can stand to drop 5%-10%-15% or more before jumping out, and still be up, but don't fool yourself that you're only going to get "a percent or two haircut" if you time it wrong.

You're retired. You already have "enough" to last the rest of your life, or you wouldn't have retired.

You shouldn't be thinking that "joining late" is a big problem. FOMO is a dangerous emotion.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

HomerJ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:13 pm
You're scaring me TL. You're really getting into this whole "beat the market" new hobby of yours. :)

You really think the worst you're going to do is lose 1%-2% from the top? Are you really going to jump out if QQQ drops just 1%? Now, you've got a bunch of gains, so you can stand to drop 5%-10%-15% or more before jumping out, and still be up, but don't fool yourself that you're only going to get "a percent or two haircut" if you time it wrong.

You're retired. You already have "enough" to last the rest of your life, or you wouldn't have retired.

You shouldn't be thinking that "joining late" is a big problem. FOMO is a dangerous emotion.
The only thing I can tell you is I don't have even a hint of FOMO in my emotions, my decision as documented here was made very early after the pandemic drop for a specific set of reasons, and I have probably never been more comfortable with my portfolio. That said it doesn't mean what I am doing will work out and it certainly doesn't mean anyone else should try to emulate it.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I wish I knew what it was traders would be moving to when they "take their profits", if it's just cash... I've got enough of that to last me awhile, I'm still trying to figure out if there's something else I'd want to own 10 years from now.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
zarci

Post by zarci »

Well if they split 'em in half you should buy twice as much right?
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

The bulls were fighting hard today...but seems they were a bit exhausted after a long month of running. Nice to see a consolidation day, or even a sideways month perhaps, that said I wouldn't be surprised at this point if we just resume our march higher, this bull market keeps surprising everyone.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

HomerJ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:13 pm

The Curly Family Portfolio has trailing stops on some (not all) of our QQQ holdings. This will prevent a total disaster if the market takes a sudden turn for the worse. Been in QQQ since 2005. It will be difficult for anything really bad to overtake us.

The portfolio hit a new all-time high today.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Zoom (ZM) up huge in after hours. Don't own it and I know myself well enough to know I should never own it but it is on an amazing run.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:04 pm Zoom (ZM) up huge in after hours. Don't own it and I know myself well enough to know I should never own it but it is on an amazing run.
Up +23% after hours :shock:
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Are the QQQ people going to make some :moneybag today?

I suspect the Curly family will ha e another all time high. :sharebeer
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

lostdog wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:57 am Are the QQQ people going to make some :moneybag today?
Does the day end in a "y"? :-)

Tesla was up another 7% in pre-market until they announced they were going to issue another $5billion in stock, now is pretty even. But seems like another good day for the Nasdaq.
Worth pointing out though for those who think beyond USD terms, and I claim no expertise whatsoever, but all this is coming on the back a continual weakening of the USD which is now nearing 1.20 to the Euro and was 1.10 a year ago and 1.07 at the height of the corona crisis.
hnd

Post by hnd »

i doubled up on zoom and sold thinking some other platform would take over their marketshare for sure.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

occambogle wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:07 am
lostdog wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:57 am Are the QQQ people going to make some :moneybag today?
Does the day end in a "y"? :-)

Tesla was up another 7% in pre-market until they announced they were going to issue another $5billion in stock, now is pretty even. But seems like another good day for the Nasdaq.
Worth pointing out though for those who think beyond USD terms, and I claim no expertise whatsoever, but all this is coming on the back a continual weakening of the USD which is now nearing 1.20 to the Euro and was 1.10 a year ago and 1.07 at the height of the corona crisis.
Looks the the USD is falling again today.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Well, we opened at an all-time high for opening. :D :D

If it holds up for the entire day it will be another good day. Maybe even a very good day.

TheTimeLord is probably filling up his money bin also.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:45 am

If it holds up for the entire day it will be another good day. Maybe even a very good day.

I think there is a good chance QQQ will bowl a perfect game very soon.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I believe we really are in a tech revolution. The pandemic has just sped up the process.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:45 am

And abuss368 is still backing up his truck.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

atdharris wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:15 am I believe we really are in a tech revolution. The pandemic has just sped up the process.
Let's party like it's 1999...
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

atdharris wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:15 am I believe we really are in a tech revolution. The pandemic has just sped up the process.
I agree.

A few weeks ago when I was talking about Creative Destruction no one commented on it. But we are watching it in real time.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

lostdog wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:39 am
I think you would enjoy the free fall thread.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:45 am
I agree.

A few weeks ago when I was talking about Creative Destruction no one commented on it. But we are watching it in real time.
I agree, a combination of creative destruction and financial stress that will kill some companies that would otherwise become zombies thus redistributing their marketshare to stronger competitors. I have said I expect this to be really evident by Q2 2021, but who knows it depends on Covid treatments or vaccines. To me all that adds up to a very primal survival of the fittest corporate landscape with large redistribution of marketshare. I didn't notice anyone commenting yesterday on Amazon receiving approval for drone delivery. But just because we are on that track it doesn't mean something won't come along to muck it up.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-pri ... -approval/
The FAA on Saturday gave Amazon the badge of approval for its unmanned aircraft delivery system — which ultimately aims to deliver lightweight packages to customers in low-population areas within 30 minutes.

"Amazon's Prime Air concept uses autonomous unmanned aircraft systems to safely and efficiently delivery packages to customers," the FAA said in a statement to CBS News.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:47 am
I think you would enjoy the free fall thread.
The food's better here. The tea cucumber sandwiches in the free fall thread are a bit soggy.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I don't see many comparisons. Yes, tech is expensive, but given the current monetary environment and the massive shift towards digital, many of these moves are justified (yes, some are not, but many are). I am not convinced we revert back to how life was even when we have a vaccine/treatment for covid. Especially in the business environment.