U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Forester

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Forester »

Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
I like that prediction, I’ve got 10 more years of accumulation ahead of me. I won’t hold out in hope though, given your 100% failed prediction rate to date :oops:
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Backed up truck last night!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
Are you following your predictions when managing your investment portfolio? What is your current portfolio make up?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

There's another thread for permabears. This one is all rainbows and unicorns!
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I see a double top too. I’m looking at a big cloud with two tops outside my window. Very pretty.

You say S&P 3400 in August 2021 (or maybe August 2030). I say S&P 3400 in August 2020.

We’ll see who’s closer.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

I'm guessing more red today. Jobless claims above 1M again higher then expected.

If we get a stimulus passed again I could see 3600
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

We'll see a new top atleast by the end of the year. We'll see what happens when another stimulus gets deployed and a vaccine is announced.

I give the perma bears 🐻 some credit for trying. 🐻
Forester

Post by Forester »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:16 am
Are you following your predictions when managing your investment portfolio? What is your current portfolio make up?
Approx 1/4 each global value stocks, minvol, momentum, gold. So in total probably only about 30% US megacap.
A_Bond

Post by A_Bond »

S&P up slightly, nice rise for the NASDAQ.
buy. hold. repeat.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

lostdog wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:18 am
We'll see a new top atleast by the end of the year. We'll see what happens when another stimulus gets deployed and a vaccine is announced.

I give the perma bears 🐻 some credit for trying. 🐻
+1. Effective vaccine will give nice rise to US stocks by the end of this year.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I’ll be thrilled if we stay flat at around this level s&p 500 3290 - 3390 until a vaccine is approved by the US.

“Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.”

I’m content just being a pig.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

If my track record for making "top" calls was as bad as yours, I would consider tempering my certainty. I do admire you commitment to it.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:17 am
Approx 1/4 each global value stocks, minvol, momentum, gold. So in total probably only about 30% US megacap.
So you aren't an index investor.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
achillesheel

Post by achillesheel »

jason2459 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:03 am I'm guessing more red today. Jobless claims above 1M again higher then expected.
I would have done the same. It just goes to show - Mr. Market is his normal, unpredictable self.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am Backed up truck last night!
How big is that truck? Even if it is one of those little baby pickups you have to have more portfolio than Warren by now.

I might get to fill up the saddlebag on a motor scooter...
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

Tesla now has a higher valuation than Walmart. Lol.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means...
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Gufomel wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:28 pm Tesla now has a higher valuation than Walmart. Lol.
And California is having rolling blackouts.

Somehow I don't think there are enough Tesla cars for there to be a connection, but enough blackouts and EVs have got to get harder to sell...
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:35 pm
Gufomel wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:28 pm Tesla now has a higher valuation than Walmart. Lol.

Somehow I don't think there are enough Tesla cars for there to be a connection, but enough blackouts and EVs have got to get harder to sell...
If you get the F150 hybrid with Pro Power you could run your house off your car in a brownout...at least 2 kW's worth...

In theory the Leaf can do this but that capability was never sold in the US. Maybe the Wallbox Quasar will finally let us do this in the US. Too bad CHAdeMO is mostly dead and CCS doesn't yet have V2H or V2G specs and won't till 2025...at the earliest assuming CCS V2X shows up on time.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

So what would you be doing tonight if you had been a Bear or a go to cash investor from the beginning of May through the close today?
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

jason2459 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:03 am I'm guessing more red today. Jobless claims above 1M again higher then expected.

If we get a stimulus passed again I could see 3600
Fear not. I just bought a boat load of bonds yesterday, sticking to my AA... I’ll be punished for sure for this by watching the market SOAR.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:35 pm

We just need a couple more nuclear power plants and problem solve. Only if ppl realize nuclear power is the cleanest energy out there :twisted:
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:17 pm So what would you be doing tonight if you had been a Bear or a go to cash investor from the beginning of May through the close today?
Probably thinking about laying in a big supply of rice and beans to make it through the next year.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

marcopolo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:01 pm
If my track record for making "top" calls was as bad as yours, I would consider tempering my certainty. I do admire you commitment to it.
I'm appalled by his commitment to it.

It's one of the problems with the Internet. No one would continue to proclaim loudly, at the end of the bar, what's going to happen next, after being wrong 100% of the time for months.

It's not the predictions. It's being so sure, and even using pseudo-finance charting comments (like double-top formation) to make yourself sound smart.

I don't mind predictions, or guesses, as long as people admit they could be wrong.
Last edited by HomerJ on Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:59 pm
marcopolo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:01 pm
I'm appalled by his commitment to it.

It's one of the problems with the Internet. No one would continue to proclaim loudly, at the end of the bar, what's going to happen next, after being wrong 100% of the time for months.

It would be too embarrassing to have everyone laugh at your predictions.

But, on the internet....
Isn't that what happens all the time at brokerages and hedge funds that do active trading?
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:07 pmIsn't that what happens all the time at brokerages and hedge funds that do active trading?
Look at my signature quote :)

If Forester will add that disclaimer, he can predict anything he wants.. :)
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:11 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:07 pmIsn't that what happens all the time at brokerages and hedge funds that do active trading?
Yesterday, I was listening to Brett McKay interview Maria Konnikova on Brett's podcast about her experiences playing poker to study human behavior. She was re-quoting someone whom I cannot place right now, but they basically said that if someone is consistently winning in an environment where chance is involved, they have rigged the 'game'.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

Not a bad day for the US market but international was a real drag on my accounts today.
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:21 pm
Yesterday, I was listening to Brett McKay interview Maria Konnikova on Brett's podcast about her experiences playing poker to study human behavior. She was re-quoting someone whom I cannot place right now, but they basically said that if someone is consistently winning in an environment where chance is involved, they have rigged the 'game'.
That's kind of a weird quote. I guess she means winning every time (every session) and not winning consistently over time. There are plenty of skilled poker players who win consistently over time, but of course they don't win every session they play. I will say though that back in 2004 there were so many bad players that I would win almost every session I played. The other players were so bad that even favorable outcomes of cards couldn't help them enough to overcome their poor play.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:40 pm
That's kind of a weird quote. I guess she means winning every time (every session) and not winning consistently over time. There are plenty of skilled poker players who win consistently over time, but of course they don't win every session they play. I will say though that back in 2004 there were so many bad players that I would win almost every session I played. The other players were bad enough that even favorable outcomes of cards couldn't help them enough.
Yes, winning every time was the point of the quote. Skill will generally beat luck over the long-term, but as Maria also pointed out, skill must first survive long enough to make to the 'long-term'. And on any given hand, anything can happen.

It was really a great podcast for investors with very actionable advice, IMHO. She talked about how our brains are wired to think that an event with a 90% probability is a 'sure thing' and ignore the 10% opposing probability. Even events with only a 1% chance of occurring do happen on occasion, and they should not be ignored. Our brains are just not wired to think in probabilistic terms, even though that's the way that the complex reality of the systems we live in usually operate.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:26 pm
How big is that truck? Even if it is one of those little baby pickups you have to have more portfolio than Warren by now.

That was good. Bought yesterday!
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:44 pm

What did you buy?
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Robot Monster wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:49 pm

What did you buy?
Needed bonds to say balanced since stocks have shot back.
euphonious

Post by euphonious »

What did you buy?
Hopefully a bigger truck!
Semantics

Post by Semantics »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:56 pm

What did you buy?
Needed bonds to say balanced since stocks have shot back.
It's not end of quarter yet. Shouldn't you have bought more stocks so you could buy even more bonds on rebalancing day? :twisted:
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

I just need another quick crash between August 31st and Sept 18th, then we can restart the recovery and a new decade of growth, please and thank you.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

Tesla closed at $2,001 , Elon tweeted “lol stonks” when it was $1,000 3 months ago
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

After hours is still on a roll, even with the run up today.

Curly Family Portfolio is reaching unimaginable highs. More than a year ago, I set a pretty lofty goal for a lifetime maximum. Well we surpassed that on July 1. And we are 0.2% from reaching what I had once thought was in the "completely unattainable" category.

Did I miss a major news item?
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

achillesheel wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:22 pm
I would have done the same. It just goes to show - Mr. Market is his normal, unpredictable self.
Yeah no kidding. Totally dived yesterday and early morning on those fed papers and jobless numbers. I missed what happen to turn it all green.
fennewaldaj

Post by fennewaldaj »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:47 pm
ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:40 pm
That's kind of a weird quote. I guess she means winning every time (every session) and not winning consistently over time. There are plenty of skilled poker players who win consistently over time, but of course they don't win every session they play. I will say though that back in 2004 there were so many bad players that I would win almost every session I played. The other players were bad enough that even favorable outcomes of cards couldn't help them enough.
Yes, winning every time was the point of the quote. Skill will generally beat luck over the long-term, but as Maria also pointed out, skill must first survive long enough to make to the 'long-term'. And on any given hand, anything can happen.

It was really a great podcast for investors with very actionable advice, IMHO. She talked about how our brains are wired to think that an event with a 90% probability is a 'sure thing' and ignore the 10% opposing probability. Even events with only a 1% chance of occurring do happen on occasion, and they should not be ignored. Our brains are just not wired to think in probabilistic terms, even though that's the way that the complex reality of the systems we live in usually operate.
Being a former pro poker player myself, I really had this point drilled into my head. In my 4M hands I lost with AK on AAK flop to 88 not once but twice. The second time I just kinda shrugged my shoulders and laughed.
Forester

Post by Forester »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:12 pm
Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:17 am
So you aren't an index investor.
Minvol-momentum barbell is pretty similar to market cap index. However I do own a global portfolio with no region bias one way or another, so I'm less Boglehead in one regard but more so in another (most here overweight VOO or VTI).
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

It's been a great 100+ days to say the least...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/record-h ... 43615.html
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I just checked the 2020 Boglehead stock picking contest. You're currently in 11th place as of Thursday night!

If you back up the truck any more, you're going to throw away any chance of winning this year's contest (and the immortal fame and lifelong bragging rights that goes along with it.)

Does your truck even have a "neutral" gear??? :D
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Stinky wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:34 am
I just checked the 2020 Boglehead stock picking contest. You're currently in 11th place as of Thursday night!

If you back up the truck any more, you're going to throw away any chance of winning this year's contest (and the immortal fame and lifelong bragging rights that goes along with it.)

Priceless.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Stinky wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:34 am

Hi there, former Bogleheads contest winner here.

I'm in 572nd place. :shock:
A_Bond

Post by A_Bond »

Red turned to green. Looks like a nice rise so far led by the NASDAQ.
buy. hold. repeat.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

This morning during my workout I was pondering a couple posts about people adding to their bonds allocation per their IPS. I understand their reasoning for doing so but part of me thinks why is it people are so skeptical of the stock market rally and yet seem to think investing in the bond market rally is safer?
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Apple's market cap grew by about $80 billion today. That's larger than all U.S. companies except for about 80 or so.

Apple's growth in less than two hours was larger than the total value of almost every U.S. company.

This stuff is mind boggling.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:59 am Apple's market cap grew by about $80 billion today. That's larger than all U.S. companies except for about 80 or so.

Apple's growth in less than two hours was larger than the total value of almost every U.S. company.

This stuff is mind boggling.
$80 billion is like 100 million or so iPhones. All in two hours.

Sometimes the moves in the stock market seem to be entirely untethered to any kind of economic reality....