U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
User avatar
Forester
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Forester »

Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
minimalistmarc
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by minimalistmarc »

Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
I like that prediction, I’ve got 10 more years of accumulation ahead of me. I won’t hold out in hope though, given your 100% failed prediction rate to date :oops:
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 21515
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by abuss368 »

Backed up truck last night!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord »

Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
Are you following your predictions when managing your investment portfolio? What is your current portfolio make up?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
User avatar
dogagility
Posts: 1092
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:41 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by dogagility »

Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
There's another thread for permabears. This one is all rainbows and unicorns!
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5514
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
I see a double top too. I’m looking at a big cloud with two tops outside my window. Very pretty.

You say S&P 3400 in August 2021 (or maybe August 2030). I say S&P 3400 in August 2020.

We’ll see who’s closer.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
User avatar
jason2459
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jason2459 »

I'm guessing more red today. Jobless claims above 1M again higher then expected.

If we get a stimulus passed again I could see 3600
lostdog
Posts: 3167
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
We'll see a new top atleast by the end of the year. We'll see what happens when another stimulus gets deployed and a vaccine is announced.

I give the perma bears 🐻 some credit for trying. 🐻
User avatar
Forester
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Forester »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:16 am
Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
Are you following your predictions when managing your investment portfolio? What is your current portfolio make up?
Approx 1/4 each global value stocks, minvol, momentum, gold. So in total probably only about 30% US megacap.
A_Bond
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:07 pm
Location: Midwest United States of America

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by A_Bond »

S&P up slightly, nice rise for the NASDAQ.
buy. hold. repeat.
Blue456
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:46 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Blue456 »

lostdog wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:18 am
Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
We'll see a new top atleast by the end of the year. We'll see what happens when another stimulus gets deployed and a vaccine is announced.

I give the perma bears 🐻 some credit for trying. 🐻
+1. Effective vaccine will give nice rise to US stocks by the end of this year.
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4651
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by EnjoyIt »

I’ll be thrilled if we stay flat at around this level s&p 500 3290 - 3390 until a vaccine is approved by the US.

“Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.”

I’m content just being a pig.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
marcopolo
Posts: 3467
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:22 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by marcopolo »

Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
If my track record for making "top" calls was as bad as yours, I would consider tempering my certainty. I do admire you commitment to it.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord »

Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:17 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:16 am
Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
Are you following your predictions when managing your investment portfolio? What is your current portfolio make up?
Approx 1/4 each global value stocks, minvol, momentum, gold. So in total probably only about 30% US megacap.
So you aren't an index investor.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
achillesheel
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by achillesheel »

jason2459 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:03 am I'm guessing more red today. Jobless claims above 1M again higher then expected.
I would have done the same. It just goes to show - Mr. Market is his normal, unpredictable self.
CurlyDave
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by CurlyDave »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am Backed up truck last night!
How big is that truck? Even if it is one of those little baby pickups you have to have more portfolio than Warren by now.

I might get to fill up the saddlebag on a motor scooter...
Gufomel
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Gufomel »

Tesla now has a higher valuation than Walmart. Lol.
marcopolo
Posts: 3467
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:22 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by marcopolo »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am Backed up truck last night!
I don't think that phrase means what you think it means...
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
CurlyDave
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by CurlyDave »

Gufomel wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:28 pm Tesla now has a higher valuation than Walmart. Lol.
And California is having rolling blackouts.

Somehow I don't think there are enough Tesla cars for there to be a connection, but enough blackouts and EVs have got to get harder to sell...
nigel_ht
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:14 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by nigel_ht »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:35 pm
Gufomel wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:28 pm Tesla now has a higher valuation than Walmart. Lol.
And California is having rolling blackouts.

Somehow I don't think there are enough Tesla cars for there to be a connection, but enough blackouts and EVs have got to get harder to sell...
If you get the F150 hybrid with Pro Power you could run your house off your car in a brownout...at least 2 kW's worth...

In theory the Leaf can do this but that capability was never sold in the US. Maybe the Wallbox Quasar will finally let us do this in the US. Too bad CHAdeMO is mostly dead and CCS doesn't yet have V2H or V2G specs and won't till 2025...at the earliest assuming CCS V2X shows up on time.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord »

So what would you be doing tonight if you had been a Bear or a go to cash investor from the beginning of May through the close today?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 1288
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by mrspock »

jason2459 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:03 am I'm guessing more red today. Jobless claims above 1M again higher then expected.

If we get a stimulus passed again I could see 3600
Fear not. I just bought a boat load of bonds yesterday, sticking to my AA... I’ll be punished for sure for this by watching the market SOAR.
jarjarM
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jarjarM »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:35 pm
Gufomel wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:28 pm Tesla now has a higher valuation than Walmart. Lol.
And California is having rolling blackouts.

Somehow I don't think there are enough Tesla cars for there to be a connection, but enough blackouts and EVs have got to get harder to sell...
We just need a couple more nuclear power plants and problem solve. Only if ppl realize nuclear power is the cleanest energy out there :twisted:
CurlyDave
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by CurlyDave »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:17 pm So what would you be doing tonight if you had been a Bear or a go to cash investor from the beginning of May through the close today?
Probably thinking about laying in a big supply of rice and beans to make it through the next year.
User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 15152
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by HomerJ »

marcopolo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:01 pm
Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
If my track record for making "top" calls was as bad as yours, I would consider tempering my certainty. I do admire you commitment to it.
I'm appalled by his commitment to it.

It's one of the problems with the Internet. No one would continue to proclaim loudly, at the end of the bar, what's going to happen next, after being wrong 100% of the time for months.

It's not the predictions. It's being so sure, and even using pseudo-finance charting comments (like double-top formation) to make yourself sound smart.

I don't mind predictions, or guesses, as long as people admit they could be wrong.
Last edited by HomerJ on Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 20831
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:59 pm
marcopolo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:01 pm
Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
If my track record for making "top" calls was as bad as yours, I would consider tempering my certainty. I do admire you commitment to it.
I'm appalled by his commitment to it.

It's one of the problems with the Internet. No one would continue to proclaim loudly, at the end of the bar, what's going to happen next, after being wrong 100% of the time for months.

It would be too embarrassing to have everyone laugh at your predictions.

But, on the internet....
Isn't that what happens all the time at brokerages and hedge funds that do active trading?
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 15152
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by HomerJ »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:07 pmIsn't that what happens all the time at brokerages and hedge funds that do active trading?
Look at my signature quote :)

If Forester will add that disclaimer, he can predict anything he wants.. :)
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 20831
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:11 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:07 pmIsn't that what happens all the time at brokerages and hedge funds that do active trading?
Look at my signature quote :)
Yesterday, I was listening to Brett McKay interview Maria Konnikova on Brett's podcast about her experiences playing poker to study human behavior. She was re-quoting someone whom I cannot place right now, but they basically said that if someone is consistently winning in an environment where chance is involved, they have rigged the 'game'.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
User avatar
Tim_in_GA
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:42 am
Location: O-HI-O

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Tim_in_GA »

Not a bad day for the US market but international was a real drag on my accounts today.
ImUrHuckleberry
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:44 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:21 pm
HomerJ wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:11 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:07 pmIsn't that what happens all the time at brokerages and hedge funds that do active trading?
Look at my signature quote :)
Yesterday, I was listening to Brett McKay interview Maria Konnikova on Brett's podcast about her experiences playing poker to study human behavior. She was re-quoting someone whom I cannot place right now, but they basically said that if someone is consistently winning in an environment where chance is involved, they have rigged the 'game'.
That's kind of a weird quote. I guess she means winning every time (every session) and not winning consistently over time. There are plenty of skilled poker players who win consistently over time, but of course they don't win every session they play. I will say though that back in 2004 there were so many bad players that I would win almost every session I played. The other players were so bad that even favorable outcomes of cards couldn't help them enough to overcome their poor play.
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 20831
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by willthrill81 »

ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:40 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:21 pm
HomerJ wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:11 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:07 pmIsn't that what happens all the time at brokerages and hedge funds that do active trading?
Look at my signature quote :)
Yesterday, I was listening to Brett McKay interview Maria Konnikova on Brett's podcast about her experiences playing poker to study human behavior. She was re-quoting someone whom I cannot place right now, but they basically said that if someone is consistently winning in an environment where chance is involved, they have rigged the 'game'.
That's kind of a weird quote. I guess she means winning every time (every session) and not winning consistently over time. There are plenty of skilled poker players who win consistently over time, but of course they don't win every session they play. I will say though that back in 2004 there were so many bad players that I would win almost every session I played. The other players were bad enough that even favorable outcomes of cards couldn't help them enough.
Yes, winning every time was the point of the quote. Skill will generally beat luck over the long-term, but as Maria also pointed out, skill must first survive long enough to make to the 'long-term'. And on any given hand, anything can happen.

It was really a great podcast for investors with very actionable advice, IMHO. She talked about how our brains are wired to think that an event with a 90% probability is a 'sure thing' and ignore the 10% opposing probability. Even events with only a 1% chance of occurring do happen on occasion, and they should not be ignored. Our brains are just not wired to think in probabilistic terms, even though that's the way that the complex reality of the systems we live in usually operate.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 21515
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by abuss368 »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:26 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am Backed up truck last night!
How big is that truck? Even if it is one of those little baby pickups you have to have more portfolio than Warren by now.

I might get to fill up the saddlebag on a motor scooter...
That was good. Bought yesterday!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Robot Monster
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:44 pm
CurlyDave wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:26 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am Backed up truck last night!
How big is that truck? Even if it is one of those little baby pickups you have to have more portfolio than Warren by now.

I might get to fill up the saddlebag on a motor scooter...
That was good. Bought yesterday!
What did you buy?
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 21515
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by abuss368 »

Robot Monster wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:49 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:44 pm
CurlyDave wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:26 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am Backed up truck last night!
How big is that truck? Even if it is one of those little baby pickups you have to have more portfolio than Warren by now.

I might get to fill up the saddlebag on a motor scooter...
That was good. Bought yesterday!
What did you buy?
Needed bonds to say balanced since stocks have shot back.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
euphonious
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:43 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by euphonious »

Robot Monster wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:49 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:44 pm
CurlyDave wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:26 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am Backed up truck last night!
How big is that truck? Even if it is one of those little baby pickups you have to have more portfolio than Warren by now.

I might get to fill up the saddlebag on a motor scooter...
That was good. Bought yesterday!
What did you buy?
Hopefully a bigger truck!
Semantics
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:42 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Semantics »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:56 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:49 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:44 pm
CurlyDave wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:26 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am Backed up truck last night!
How big is that truck? Even if it is one of those little baby pickups you have to have more portfolio than Warren by now.

I might get to fill up the saddlebag on a motor scooter...
That was good. Bought yesterday!
What did you buy?
Needed bonds to say balanced since stocks have shot back.
It's not end of quarter yet. Shouldn't you have bought more stocks so you could buy even more bonds on rebalancing day? :twisted:
pasadena
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:23 am
Location: Washington State

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by pasadena »

I just need another quick crash between August 31st and Sept 18th, then we can restart the recovery and a new decade of growth, please and thank you.
flyingcows
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:13 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by flyingcows »

Tesla closed at $2,001 , Elon tweeted “lol stonks” when it was $1,000 3 months ago
CurlyDave
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by CurlyDave »

After hours is still on a roll, even with the run up today.

Curly Family Portfolio is reaching unimaginable highs. More than a year ago, I set a pretty lofty goal for a lifetime maximum. Well we surpassed that on July 1. And we are 0.2% from reaching what I had once thought was in the "completely unattainable" category.

Did I miss a major news item?
User avatar
jason2459
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jason2459 »

achillesheel wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:22 pm
jason2459 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:03 am I'm guessing more red today. Jobless claims above 1M again higher then expected.
I would have done the same. It just goes to show - Mr. Market is his normal, unpredictable self.
Yeah no kidding. Totally dived yesterday and early morning on those fed papers and jobless numbers. I missed what happen to turn it all green.
fennewaldaj
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by fennewaldaj »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:47 pm
ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:40 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:21 pm
HomerJ wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:11 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:07 pmIsn't that what happens all the time at brokerages and hedge funds that do active trading?
Look at my signature quote :)
Yesterday, I was listening to Brett McKay interview Maria Konnikova on Brett's podcast about her experiences playing poker to study human behavior. She was re-quoting someone whom I cannot place right now, but they basically said that if someone is consistently winning in an environment where chance is involved, they have rigged the 'game'.
That's kind of a weird quote. I guess she means winning every time (every session) and not winning consistently over time. There are plenty of skilled poker players who win consistently over time, but of course they don't win every session they play. I will say though that back in 2004 there were so many bad players that I would win almost every session I played. The other players were bad enough that even favorable outcomes of cards couldn't help them enough.
Yes, winning every time was the point of the quote. Skill will generally beat luck over the long-term, but as Maria also pointed out, skill must first survive long enough to make to the 'long-term'. And on any given hand, anything can happen.

It was really a great podcast for investors with very actionable advice, IMHO. She talked about how our brains are wired to think that an event with a 90% probability is a 'sure thing' and ignore the 10% opposing probability. Even events with only a 1% chance of occurring do happen on occasion, and they should not be ignored. Our brains are just not wired to think in probabilistic terms, even though that's the way that the complex reality of the systems we live in usually operate.
Being a former pro poker player myself, I really had this point drilled into my head. In my 4M hands I lost with AK on AAK flop to 88 not once but twice. The second time I just kinda shrugged my shoulders and laughed.
User avatar
Forester
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Forester »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:12 pm
Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:17 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:16 am
Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
Are you following your predictions when managing your investment portfolio? What is your current portfolio make up?
Approx 1/4 each global value stocks, minvol, momentum, gold. So in total probably only about 30% US megacap.
So you aren't an index investor.
Minvol-momentum barbell is pretty similar to market cap index. However I do own a global portfolio with no region bias one way or another, so I'm less Boglehead in one regard but more so in another (most here overweight VOO or VTI).
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3661
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by CyclingDuo »

Forester wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:41 am Ominous double top formation... this thread won't see 170 pages for a very long time. Now that the ATH was breached the mania wears off and introspection begins. SPX 3,400 waits for another year (decade?).
It's been a great 100+ days to say the least...

Image

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/record-h ... 43615.html
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5514
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am Backed up truck last night!
I just checked the 2020 Boglehead stock picking contest. You're currently in 11th place as of Thursday night!

If you back up the truck any more, you're going to throw away any chance of winning this year's contest (and the immortal fame and lifelong bragging rights that goes along with it.)

Does your truck even have a "neutral" gear??? :D
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 21515
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by abuss368 »

Stinky wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:34 am
abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am Backed up truck last night!
I just checked the 2020 Boglehead stock picking contest. You're currently in 11th place as of Thursday night!

If you back up the truck any more, you're going to throw away any chance of winning this year's contest (and the immortal fame and lifelong bragging rights that goes along with it.)

Does your truck even have a "neutral" gear??? :D
Priceless.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Triple digit golfer
Posts: 5558
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Stinky wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:34 am
abuss368 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am Backed up truck last night!
I just checked the 2020 Boglehead stock picking contest. You're currently in 11th place as of Thursday night!

If you back up the truck any more, you're going to throw away any chance of winning this year's contest (and the immortal fame and lifelong bragging rights that goes along with it.)

Does your truck even have a "neutral" gear??? :D
Hi there, former Bogleheads contest winner here.

I'm in 572nd place. :shock:
A_Bond
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:07 pm
Location: Midwest United States of America

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by A_Bond »

Red turned to green. Looks like a nice rise so far led by the NASDAQ.
buy. hold. repeat.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord »

This morning during my workout I was pondering a couple posts about people adding to their bonds allocation per their IPS. I understand their reasoning for doing so but part of me thinks why is it people are so skeptical of the stock market rally and yet seem to think investing in the bond market rally is safer?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Triple digit golfer
Posts: 5558
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Apple's market cap grew by about $80 billion today. That's larger than all U.S. companies except for about 80 or so.

Apple's growth in less than two hours was larger than the total value of almost every U.S. company.

This stuff is mind boggling.
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5514
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:59 am Apple's market cap grew by about $80 billion today. That's larger than all U.S. companies except for about 80 or so.

Apple's growth in less than two hours was larger than the total value of almost every U.S. company.

This stuff is mind boggling.
$80 billion is like 100 million or so iPhones. All in two hours.

Sometimes the moves in the stock market seem to be entirely untethered to any kind of economic reality....
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Post Reply