U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Robot Monster

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:02 am
Robot Monster wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:02 pm Consider stopping your ears with wax like Odysseus so he was deaf to the song of the sirens.
As I recall, Odysseus had himself lashed to the mast so he wouldn’t yield. He wouldn’t have stopped his ears with wax, he wanted to hear the siren song.
Ah, okay, thank you for the clarification. Must brush up on my classics!
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Retail sales back to pre-pandemic levels are being reported. Small and mid caps are bring us some green.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

jason2459 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:30 am Retail sales back to pre-pandemic levels are being reported. Small and mid caps are bring us some green.
Vanguard REIT fund +0.61% beating the major US indexes.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
RiotAct

Post by RiotAct »

jason2459 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:30 am Retail sales back to pre-pandemic levels are being reported. Small and mid caps are bring us some green.
We’re dooooooooomed!!!
Stef

Post by Stef »

Back into green.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Jäger Portfolio continues to soar, hit another weekly ATH this week, that makes 6 new weekly ATH in the past 7 weeks.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Anyone predicting another downfall to stock market soon? Ofc im staying the course but prices back to pre covid level and covid is still around!

Post by 000 »

newyorker wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:38 pm Anyone predicting another downfall to stock market soon? Ofc im staying the course but prices back to pre covid level and covid is still around!
Yes.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

000 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:41 pm
newyorker wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:38 pm Anyone predicting another downfall to stock market soon? Ofc im staying the course but prices back to pre covid level and covid is still around!
Yes.

Well that will suck :(
Steve Reading

Post by Steve Reading »

Prices might be back to pre covid level, but short-term interest rates are 1.6% lower, so one might conclude the equity risk premium (return of stocks - Tbills) is still higher than back in Feb.

If you thought stocks were attractive back in February, they are still somewhat more attractive today (in the context of a portfolio).
"... so high a present discounted value of wealth, it is only prudent for him to put more into common stocks compared to his present tangible wealth, borrowing if necessary" - Paul Samuelson

Post by 000 »

newyorker wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:47 pm
000 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:41 pm
Yes.

Well that will suck :(
Yep.

Hopefully my crystal ball returns from the manufacturer's warranty department soon...
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

I'm hazy on my predictions, but I do have a recurring dream about a white horse circumnavigating a field of pretty lavender flowers where two young girls sit discussing the works of T.S. Elliot. My advice to you: listen to the noise the wind makes under closed doors in lonesome, vacant rooms and ye will know the secrets of the universe. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Futures are up tonight!

Meanwhile, MarketWatch has one of their best headlines yet:

Stock market looks like ‘hapless Wile E. Coyote, running off the edge of a cliff,’ says behavioral economist
Last edited by Stinky on Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Stinky wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:23 pm Futures are up tonight!

Meanwhile, MarketWatch has one of their best headlines yet:

Stock market looks like ‘hapless Wile E. Coyote, running off the edge of a cliff,’ says behavioral economist
Futures held overnight.

Meanwhile, Goldman increased their 2020 S&P target from 3000 to 3600.

Looks like a Green Day ahead.
Steve723

Post by Steve723 »

Something just feels wrong about all of this. My net worth is the highest its ever been - higher than the pre-covid highs. I realize there may be rational explanations for this, but it just doesn't "feel" right.
Stef

Post by Stef »

Is today the day we get a new ATH closing?
wackerdr

Post by wackerdr »

Steve723 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:49 am Something just feels wrong about all of this. My net worth is the highest its ever been - higher than the pre-covid highs. I realize there may be rational explanations for this, but it just doesn't "feel" right.
I hear you, I mentally reduce it by 30%.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Steve723 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:49 am Something just feels wrong about all of this. My net worth is the highest its ever been - higher than the pre-covid highs. I realize there may be rational explanations for this, but it just doesn't "feel" right.
With due respect to the investing expertise of your “feeling “, this is exactly how it’s supposed to work. The speed of the recovery vs the speed of the decline, the leading nature of the recovery.... it’s all well within historical norms.

You bore the risk in March, didn’t capitulate, you now are getting the commensurate return for that action. Hold even longer... you haven’t seen anything if history is any lesson. By December this will likely feel even more “not right”.... just smile and stay the course.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

A true Jäger hunts no matter what the weather.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Maybe you should consider making a charitable donation with appreciated stock.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

What's with the Doom and gloom in the soaring thread.

Looks like a normal soaring day to me. DOW is down, Nasdaq is leading, SP is green, and small caps lagging in the red.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

mrspock wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:56 am
With due respect to the investing expertise of your “feeling “, this is exactly how it’s supposed to work. The speed of the recovery vs the speed of the decline, the leading nature of the recovery.... it’s all well within historical norms.

You bore the risk in March, didn’t capitulate, you now are getting the commensurate return for that action. Hold even longer... you haven’t seen anything if history is any lesson. By December this will likely feel even more “not right”.... just smile and stay the course.
Well said.

You took the risk and now you're getting rewarded for it.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

jason2459 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 am What's with the Doom and gloom in the soaring thread.

Looks like a normal soaring day to me. DOW is down, Nasdaq is leading, SP is green, and small caps lagging in the red.
International is doing well also.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

lostdog wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:25 am
jason2459 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 am What's with the Doom and gloom in the soaring thread.

Well, ok, mostly normal soaring day...
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

lostdog wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:24 am
mrspock wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:56 am

Well said.

You took the risk and now you're getting rewarded for it.
Getting to even is being rewarded?
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

It's a slap in the face to domestic when underdog-international outperforms it. At the moment international is even outperforming the golden boy Nasdaq.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

Wait, is it SpaceX or Tesla that’s soaring to the moon??

$330B valuation for a company that many expected to be bankrupt by this point 18 months ago.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Robot Monster wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:41 am

It's a slap in the face to domestic when underdog-international outperforms it. At the moment international is even outperforming the golden boy Nasdaq.
The key phrase in that sentence is 'at the moment'. Over the last 3 months, global stock and U.S. stock have had virtually identical returns. YTD, U.S. stock is still ahead by more than 4%.

Ex-U.S. stock will certainly outperform U.S. again in the future. But nobody knows when, nor for how long, nor by how much.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Gufomel wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:46 am Wait, is it SpaceX or Tesla that’s soaring to the moon??

$330B valuation for a company that many expected to be bankrupt by this point 18 months ago.
Yeah, Tesla cost this forum a couple posters.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:47 am

The key phrase in that sentence is 'at the moment'. Over the last 3 months, global stock and U.S. stock have had virtually identical returns. YTD, U.S. stock is still ahead by more than 4%.

Ex-U.S. stock will certainly outperform U.S. again in the future. But nobody knows when, nor for how long, nor by how much.
There you go again with the big picture! This thread is the myopic experience, bro! You gotta roll with that shirt. Just a truckload of whimsical fun here.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

The weak dollar will certainly be a buoy to international markets.
Semantics

Post by Semantics »

That's a good thing. It means you have a healthy amount of empathy.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

atdharris wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:02 am

So far, it seems to have buoyed gold much more.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

It's actually up today though. :mrgreen:

FTSE ex-US ACXUSS is up about the same as the SP500 right now but with the dollar exchange is beating the Nasdaq.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:53 am
Gufomel wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:46 am Wait, is it SpaceX or Tesla that’s soaring to the moon??

Yeah, Tesla cost this forum a couple posters.
I've shorted it twice for a small profit each time. Basically taking advantage of volatility. It's tempting to try again. However, cults, by definition, are resilient.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

The dollar has a long way to go until it can be called weak, it seems. Don't know if you're familiar with the Economist's Big Mac index, but as of June when it was last updated most major currencies are undervalued in relation to the USD, the exceptions being Switzerland, Lebanon, and Sweden. For Japan, the largest international holding:

A Big Mac costs ¥390 in Japan and US$5.71 in the United States. The implied exchange rate is 68.30. The difference between this and the actual exchange rate, 107.28, suggests the Japanese yen is 36.3% undervalued

Britain: A Big Mac costs £3.39 in Britain and US$5.71 in the United States. The implied exchange rate is 0.59. The difference between this and the actual exchange rate, 0.79, suggests the British pound is 25.1% undervalued
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Forester wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:23 am The Nasdaq top was Thursday August 6th. It will never reach this level again for years :beer
Here’s a blast from the past. Posted one week ago today (8/10/20).

We’ve hit a new intraday high today.

Those “years” sure went by fast! :D
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Stinky wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:20 pm
Forester wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:23 am The Nasdaq top was Thursday August 6th. It will never reach this level again for years :beer

The Nasdaq and large growth is unstoppable and will never die.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Wait, there is more:
Forester wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:43 pm I am calling the Nasdaq top, it won't go above 10,600. Why? Just watched a bearish Rob Arnott interview :beer
and:
Forester wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 am Nasdaq is running out of steam. Gandalf is looking at Nasdaq 11,000 and saying, "You shall not pass!"
I am sure we will be receiving an equally useful revision soon....
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

marcopolo wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:07 pm

Wait, there is more:
Forester wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:43 pm I am calling the Nasdaq top, it won't go above 10,600. Why? Just watched a bearish Rob Arnott interview :beer
and:
Forester wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 am Nasdaq is running out of steam. Gandalf is looking at Nasdaq 11,000 and saying, "You shall not pass!"
I am sure we will be receiving an equally useful revision soon....
There is no way Tesla is reaching 10k by end of the year. That’s the only bet I’m willing to take in this market. And only at 10:1 odds (in my favor). 8-)
Forester

Post by Forester »

Stocks up?
Bonds up?
Gold up?
Real estate up?
Inflation up.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Robot Monster wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:55 am

There you go again with the big picture! This thread is the myopic experience, bro! You gotta roll with that shirt. Just a truckload of whimsical fun here.
Then I should stop posting my actual moves and thoughts and assume everyone is just making things up?
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Then I should stop posting my actual moves and thoughts and assume everyone is just making things up?
No, please do. I need the passive high of trading vicariously through you.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Melt up or down? Everything is up but the DJIA. Small caps drifting back down. But the rest going strong. Even crypto and gold soaring today.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

jason2459 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:25 pm Melt up or down? Everything is up but the DJIA. Small caps drifting back down. But the rest going strong. Even crypto and gold soaring today.

It will stay steady.
A_Bond

Post by A_Bond »

With 15 minutes left to go, I predict a .40% gain for the S&P today. Moderate soar.
buy. hold. repeat.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

A_Bond wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:45 pm With 15 minutes left to go, I predict a .40% gain for the S&P today. Moderate soar.
Well, an all-time closing high for the Curly Family Portfolio -- even after withdrawing to pay Uncle enough to support a bureaucrat for an entire year last month.

What a wonderful time to be alive.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Slight meltdown to close. Still up for the day And record high on the Nasdaq.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

CurlyDave wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:08 pm
A_Bond wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:45 pm With 15 minutes left to go, I predict a .40% gain for the S&P today. Moderate soar.
Well, an all-time closing high for the Curly Family Portfolio -- even after withdrawing to pay Uncle enough to support a bureaucrat for an entire year last month.

What a wonderful time to be alive.
Oh.... I feel your pain. In a few weeks I'll be cutting a check to pay their colleague for a year. The all time highs my portfolio keeps making mutes the pain a bit. :sharebeer

That said, loving the slow and steady movement to the upside. Steady as she goes!
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Some background to my answer. I find this thread hopelessly silly. In my very strong opinion, when it comes to stocks we should only care about two prices: the price you buy and the price you sell. Everything inbetween is just noise. This thread is all about joyously basking in the noise. It's fun, it passes the time between meals, and why not? It's all good. I wouldn't go so far as say people are making stuff up here, but who knows, it's all anonymous. Let's just enjoy the pure whimsical delight of this thread, like a thousand banana creme pies thrown into the air while we dance underneath. And we're cha-cha!