U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
User avatar
jason2459
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jason2459 »

dogagility wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:54 am
jay22 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:10 am Agree with that! I have never bought an individual stock before, but tempted to start a small position in Tesla, or in an ETF that has Tesla as one of its largest holdings.
We all know a bubble is forming when BHers are considering buying individual company stocks. :twisted:
Didn't someone say something about when people become greedy?
jay22
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jay22 »

dogagility wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:54 am
jay22 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:10 am Agree with that! I have never bought an individual stock before, but tempted to start a small position in Tesla, or in an ETF that has Tesla as one of its largest holdings.
We all know a bubble is forming when BHers are considering buying individual company stocks. :twisted:
If I do, it is going to be less than 1% of my portfolio. I don't have the risk appetite or the acumen to invest more than that. :)
jay22
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jay22 »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:57 am
jay22 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:10 am I have never bought an individual stock before, but tempted to start a small position in Tesla, or in an ETF that has Tesla as one of its largest holdings.
It’s the 4th largest holding (4.4%) of VWIGX (Investor shares) or VWILX (Admiral shares) Vanguard International Growth Fund as of 5/31/2020, could be higher than that now. I’m invested. https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... o-holdings
Thanks, this might be a good one!
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

jay22 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:10 am Agree with that! I have never bought an individual stock before, but tempted to start a small position in Tesla, or in an ETF that has Tesla as one of its largest holdings.
Managed large cap growth funds, like Larry's TRBCX, have a stake in TSLA. :greedy
dogagility wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:54 am We all know a bubble is forming when BHers are considering buying individual company stocks. :twisted:
There may be enough momentum investors to keep it going before the smart money bails.
jay22
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jay22 »

J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm
jay22 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:10 am Agree with that! I have never bought an individual stock before, but tempted to start a small position in Tesla, or in an ETF that has Tesla as one of its largest holdings.
Managed large cap growth funds, like Larry's TRBCX, have a stake in TSLA. :greedy
Doesn't seem like it? https://www.troweprice.com/financial-in ... l-holdings

Also, I do not want to invest in a fund that has big tech as a heavy core holding.
lostdog
Posts: 3177
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

losing steam
Robot Monster
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 pm losing steam
Noooo! Somebody do something! Why is my Microsoft stock in the red? This is terrible.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
User avatar
jason2459
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jason2459 »

My green light is still glowing. Go to your happy place.
User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by mrspock »

lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 pm losing steam
Now, do we get a melt up or down in the last 15min... this is the question :) .

Folks can relax now, the TSLA bubble is over, it’s back to being a value stock.
lostdog
Posts: 3177
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 pm
lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 pm losing steam
Noooo! Somebody do something! Why is my Microsoft stock in the red? This is terrible.
Tesla dropped like a bomb
Corsair
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 am
Location: WA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Corsair »

lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:22 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 pm
lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 pm losing steam
Noooo! Somebody do something! Why is my Microsoft stock in the red? This is terrible.
Tesla dropped like a bomb
People will "buy the dip!!"
Last edited by Corsair on Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
Robot Monster
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:22 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 pm
lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 pm losing steam
Noooo! Somebody do something! Why is my Microsoft stock in the red? This is terrible.
Tesla dropped like a bomb
Only cuz Tesla is da bomb.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
lostdog
Posts: 3177
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

The party is over for today.
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5569
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

mrspock wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:22 pm Folks can relax now, the TSLA bubble is over, it’s back to being a value stock.
I hereby nominate this as the funniest BH post of the day.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

jay22 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:58 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm
jay22 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:10 am Agree with that! I have never bought an individual stock before, but tempted to start a small position in Tesla, or in an ETF that has Tesla as one of its largest holdings.
Managed large cap growth funds, like Larry's TRBCX, have a stake in TSLA. :greedy
Doesn't seem like it? https://www.troweprice.com/financial-in ... l-holdings

Also, I do not want to invest in a fund that has big tech as a heavy core holding.
I stand corrected, my eye exam was canceled because of the virus. Larry does hold Ferrari.

Larry has mad me 10% in the last 30 days, not the best large cap managed fund but better than the foreign VXUS I sold to buy it. I put my money where my posts are.


Larry turns over more than 30% of his holdings a year. I wonder if he will jump on some TSLA? Elon going to the space station gave TSLA a big boost, people are investing in Elon not TSLA.
lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:22 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 pm
lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 pm losing steam
Noooo! Somebody do something! Why is my Microsoft stock in the red? This is terrible.
Tesla dropped like a bomb
HUH? TSLA is up over 3%
jay22
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jay22 »

J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:47 pm
jay22 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:58 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm
jay22 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:10 am Agree with that! I have never bought an individual stock before, but tempted to start a small position in Tesla, or in an ETF that has Tesla as one of its largest holdings.
Managed large cap growth funds, like Larry's TRBCX, have a stake in TSLA. :greedy
Doesn't seem like it? https://www.troweprice.com/financial-in ... l-holdings

Also, I do not want to invest in a fund that has big tech as a heavy core holding.
I stand corrected, my eye exam was canceled because of the virus. Larry does hold Ferrari.

Larry has mad me 10% in the last 30 days, not the best large cap managed fund but better than the foreign VXUS I sold to buy it. I put my money where my posts are.


Larry turns over more than 30% of his holdings a year. I wonder if he will jump on some TSLA? Elon going to the space station gave TSLA a big boost, people are investing in Elon not TSLA.
30% turnover?! Hope you have it only in your IRA.
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

jay22 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:02 pm 30% turnover?! Hope you have it only in your IRA.
Sadly my 401k got QDROed. TRBCX pays dividends in spurts. For three years they pay about thirty cents a share, then BOOM it will pay four dollars a share. Some managed large cap funds have over 40% turnover. I have many dollars from tax loss harvesting in reserves, some still from December 2018 so I'm good. Sell VTI buy VOO rinse cycle repeat. :greedy
Gufomel
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Gufomel »

See you guys over in the free fall thread I guess...
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

Gufomel wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:26 pm See you guys over in the free fall thread I guess...
The profit taking started early.
Corsair
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 am
Location: WA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Corsair »

TSLA margin raised (TD). Party poopers!
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
User avatar
AnalogKid22
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 8:26 pm
Location: Babylon, but I'd love to spend a night in Zion

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by AnalogKid22 »

J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:30 pm
Gufomel wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:26 pm See you guys over in the free fall thread I guess...
The profit taking started early.
Lots of major companies reporting Q2 earnings this week and states reversing reopening as cases continue to climb. Could be a perfect storm for a correction. Or, as usual, nobody knows nothing and we hit new highs tomorrow. :confused
User avatar
SmileyFace
Posts: 5724
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by SmileyFace »

Gufomel wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:26 pm See you guys over in the free fall thread I guess...
LOL!
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

AnalogKid22 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:15 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:30 pm
Gufomel wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:26 pm See you guys over in the free fall thread I guess...
The profit taking started early.
Lots of major companies reporting Q2 earnings this week and states reversing reopening as cases continue to climb. Could be a perfect storm for a correction. Or, as usual, nobody knows nothing and we hit new highs tomorrow. :confused
Even I know earnings will be the worse since fourth quarter of 2008, that is priced in. This was a good time to take profits. I'm buying, I got a hot tip on the Wide World of the Web.
J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 pm OK, I'm a believer; I sold some bonds and bought Vanguard U.S. Value Fund Investor Shares (VUVLX). :greedy
I won't know what I paid for it until 6 PM EDT.
User avatar
jason2459
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jason2459 »

jason2459 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:21 pm My green light is still glowing. Go to your happy place.
I can live with a shade of pink.
User avatar
Stef
Posts: 1145
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stef »

Well so much for soaring.
Robot Monster
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

Stef wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:53 am Well so much for soaring.
It's one of those perplexing moments when Vanguard Real Estate fund and Disney are up, and the S&P is flat. It's Opposite Day. Or...Opposite Minute, at least.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
Silk McCue
Posts: 4812
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Silk McCue »

Stef wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:53 am Well so much for soaring.
Look again. DOW up 229.10 at the moment.

Rollercoaster ride.

Cheers
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord »

Silk McCue wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:34 am
Stef wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:53 am Well so much for soaring.
Look again. DOW up 229.10 at the moment.

Rollercoaster ride.

Cheers
Loving every minute of it.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Robot Monster
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:40 am
Silk McCue wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:34 am
Stef wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:53 am Well so much for soaring.
Look again. DOW up 229.10 at the moment.

Rollercoaster ride.

Cheers
Loving every minute of it.
I'm sorry, but a minute by minute basis is too big picture for me.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

I have VZ, my only single stock holding, it is my former employer. It isn't doing so good this year because of the T-Mobile Sprint merger. It still pays a 4.5% dividend. It is less than 2% of my stocks, it is a sentimental holding .

The talking heads on CNBS were giving their picks for dividend paying stocks now that many have cut their dividends. I was hoping someone would pick Verizon. Sure enough one talking head did and VZ jumped .25% instantly. It is amazing people actually trade on what they hear on CNBC.
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5569
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

Soaring into the close!
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Robot Monster
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

Stinky wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:47 pm Soaring into the close!
If you listen closely you can hear it singing, "nothing can stop me now because I don't care anymore".

Barrick Gold miner +3.25%, Amazon -.94%.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 9127
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by whodidntante »

mrspock wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:22 pm
lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 pm losing steam
Now, do we get a melt up or down in the last 15min... this is the question :) .

Folks can relax now, the TSLA bubble is over, it’s back to being a value stock.
At 10x P/s, 30x P/b, and no earnings, TSLA could get cut in half, and then get cut in half again, and still not be a value stock.
jef
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:35 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jef »

Seems a little frothy....
User avatar
oldzey
Posts: 1573
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 pm
Location: Land of Lincoln

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by oldzey »

Keep on soaring, U.S. stocks! :beer

Image
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
Ciel
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:14 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Ciel »

I'm so tempted to pull out of stocks now. It feels like we could be at "peak greed." Alas, that probably means I'm totally wrong about that, as I've been wrong about most things this year.
User avatar
dogagility
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:41 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by dogagility »

Ciel wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:25 pm I'm so tempted to pull out of stocks now. It feels like we could be at "peak greed." Alas, that probably means I'm totally wrong about that, as I've been wrong about most things this year.
Don't do it. Remember, this thread is fun and games... nothing actionable to be found here! :D
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
User avatar
jason2459
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jason2459 »

jef wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:04 pm Seems a little frothy....
A little frothy?

Image
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord »

dogagility wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:29 pm
Ciel wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:25 pm I'm so tempted to pull out of stocks now. It feels like we could be at "peak greed." Alas, that probably means I'm totally wrong about that, as I've been wrong about most things this year.
Don't do it. Remember, this thread is fun and games... nothing actionable to be found here! :D
Really??? That is your take.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
User avatar
jason2459
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jason2459 »

Good news from Moderna vaccine... More froth incoming
User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by mrspock »

Ciel wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:25 pm I'm so tempted to pull out of stocks now. It feels like we could be at "peak greed." Alas, that probably means I'm totally wrong about that, as I've been wrong about most things this year.
Pretty sure there's no "Peak Greed" chapter in Bogle's "Common Sense on Mutual Funds" where he instructs us all to sell down our equity holdings incurring substantial tax costs.

Follow your AA, you should be backing up the truck buying bonds right now and buying very little equities to maintain your AA, this is the magic of Boglehead style investing. Or perhaps do an early rebalance if you are super edgy, just stick to the plan (IPS).

That aside....great day for US equities, a lovely payback for being patient in this volatile market. "Weighing" season is always my favorite.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord »

jason2459 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:03 pm Good news from Moderna vaccine... More froth incoming
Hmmm, I wonder if we have a Bear Hunt coming???
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5569
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:36 pm
jason2459 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:03 pm Good news from Moderna vaccine... More froth incoming
Hmmm, I wonder if we have a Bear Hunt coming???
We’ll close above S&P 3200 tomorrow.

You heard it here first.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
lostdog
Posts: 3177
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

Futures up again.
User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by mrspock »

The Vulcan Sovereign Fund should make new all-time highs tomorrow if the futures hold up. The weighing continues....
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5569
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

Futures up more than 1%.

To the moon!
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
CurlyDave
Posts: 1971
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by CurlyDave »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:36 pm
jason2459 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:03 pm Good news from Moderna vaccine... More froth incoming
Hmmm, I wonder if we have a Bear Hunt coming???
I am not familiar with that piece of investing slang, but I am all in favor if it means what I think it does.
User avatar
jason2459
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jason2459 »

Goldman Sachs looking like gold. Crushed their estimated earnings. Again it was their investing platforms that helped. I'm sure their Marcus HYSA had a nice inflow of cash/CD deposits too. They stayed competitive with their rates.
lostdog
Posts: 3177
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

mrspock wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:35 am The Vulcan Sovereign Fund should make new all-time highs tomorrow if the futures hold up. The weighing continues....
🖖
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:24 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:36 pm
jason2459 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:03 pm Good news from Moderna vaccine... More froth incoming
Hmmm, I wonder if we have a Bear Hunt coming???
I am not familiar with that piece of investing slang, but I am all in favor if it means what I think it does.
My personal slang and it means what you think it means.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Post Reply