U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
User avatar
jason2459
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jason2459 »

Bitcoin isn't disappointing me though as it's down over 2% right now. But could be up 10% by the time I hit the submit button though.
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:01 pm
jason2459 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:57 pm Time to switch threads. It's free falling
At least DM and EM held up today. I know, wrong thread...
Elon is selling shorts with flames on them. TSLA up 8% today, 400% for the year.
Tesla will make fabulous short shorts in radiant red satin with gold trim
H-Town
Posts: 2868
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by H-Town »

J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:02 pm
jason2459 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:57 pm Time to switch threads. It's free falling
Up .46%. :beer Three days off enjoy.
1.47% VXUS 8-)

Of course, one doesn't need VXUS.
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

H-Town wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:02 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:02 pm
jason2459 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:57 pm Time to switch threads. It's free falling
Up .46%. :beer Three days off enjoy.
1.47% VXUS 8-)

Of course, one doesn't need VXUS.
Every dog has his day.
At this point in time one doesn't need foreign stocks. I will reevaluate that in the 4th quarter.
That is all I have to say about that.
Robot Monster
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:20 pm
H-Town wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:02 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:02 pm
jason2459 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:57 pm Time to switch threads. It's free falling
Up .46%. :beer Three days off enjoy.
1.47% VXUS 8-)

Of course, one doesn't need VXUS.
Every dog has his day.
At this point in time one doesn't need foreign stocks. I will reevaluate that in the 4th quarter.
That is all I have to say about that.
On top of the +1.47% VXUS, we have VWO +2.37% and MCHI (China ETF) +3.35%.
That is all I have to bark about that.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 1288
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by mrspock »

Robot Monster wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:04 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:20 pm
H-Town wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:02 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:02 pm
jason2459 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:57 pm Time to switch threads. It's free falling
Up .46%. :beer Three days off enjoy.
1.47% VXUS 8-)

Of course, one doesn't need VXUS.
Every dog has his day.
At this point in time one doesn't need foreign stocks. I will reevaluate that in the 4th quarter.
That is all I have to say about that.
On top of the +1.47% VXUS, we have VWO +2.37% and MCHI (China ETF) +3.35%.
That is all I have to bark about that.
In another 10,000 basis points international will be caught up!

China ETF.... those poor investors might as well have just dumped their money in a barrel and lit it on fire. GDP up some absurd amount and almost none of it translated to the public markets for the last 25 years or so.
Robot Monster
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

mrspock wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:25 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:04 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:20 pm
H-Town wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:02 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:02 pm Up .46%. :beer Three days off enjoy.
1.47% VXUS 8-)

Of course, one doesn't need VXUS.
Every dog has his day.
At this point in time one doesn't need foreign stocks. I will reevaluate that in the 4th quarter.
That is all I have to say about that.
On top of the +1.47% VXUS, we have VWO +2.37% and MCHI (China ETF) +3.35%.
That is all I have to bark about that.
In another 10,000 basis points international will be caught up!

China ETF.... those poor investors might as well have just dumped their money in a barrel and lit it on fire. GDP up some absurd amount and almost none of it translated to the public markets for the last 25 years or so.
Those who invested in China ETF yesterday end of day are happy, though. Ladies and gentlemen...it's...battle of the timeframes!
Last edited by Robot Monster on Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
Nowizard
Posts: 3013
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Nowizard »

Sure sounds like lots of people are not following what is commonly recommended, that we not look at our portfolios daily :happy Fess up. Are you like me and have been doing this for a longer time than the Covid19 impact, or are you in violation of any prior post saying not to peek frequently?
Tim
Robot Monster
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

Nowizard wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:58 pm Sure sounds like lots of people are not following what is commonly recommended, that we not look at our portfolios daily :happy Fess up. Are you like me and have been doing this for a longer time than the Covid19 impact, or are you in violation of any prior post saying not to peek frequently?
Tim
I am insanely in violation of not looking at the market, and my portfolio, and I find this thread most helpful in nursing something of an addiction. Oh man, do I wish I didn't check Yahoo Finance throughout the day...such a waste of time and emotional energy. Not too long ago I wrote the following.

To my chagrin I have yet to learn that lesson [that worrying about the daily ups and downs aren't going to change a thing, at least not positively]. It's funny, though, that I never lend a second thought to changes in the price of my house. Right now, if I'm not mistaken it's up...but I don't care because I know I'm not going to sell now, so the price I'd get if I looked is meaningless. I do not have the same attitude towards stocks, sadly.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

Robot Monster wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:04 pm On top of the +1.47% VXUS, we have VWO +2.37% and MCHI (China ETF) +3.35%.
That is all I have to bark about that.
One more word, I just did rithmetic for three funds I have/had on 6/15/2020. That day I sold foreign and went with Larry the stock picker.
From that date to today the total return, including dividends, is.

From 6/15/2020
VOO +2.18%
VXUS +2.55%
TRBCX +5.62%

I'm staying 90% VOO, Larry can't keep it up much longer; after beating the index for 27 years his luck is due to run out.
User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 15152
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by HomerJ »

J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:19 pm I'm staying 90% VOO, Larry can't keep it up much longer; after beating the index for 27 years his luck is due to run out.
It's not only his luck.... After 27 years and a billion dollars, almost anyone is going to be thinking about retirement.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
H-Town
Posts: 2868
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by H-Town »

J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:19 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:04 pm On top of the +1.47% VXUS, we have VWO +2.37% and MCHI (China ETF) +3.35%.
That is all I have to bark about that.
One more word, I just did rithmetic for three funds I have/had on 6/15/2020. That day I sold foreign and went with Larry the stock picker.
From that date to today the total return, including dividends, is.

From 6/15/2020
VOO +2.18%
VXUS +2.55%
TRBCX +5.62%

I'm staying 90% VOO, Larry can't keep it up much longer; after beating the index for 27 years his luck is due to run out.
lol relax. Bringing up VXUS is just a tease to an exchange we had yesterday. Nothing more.

If your portfolio gets more growth, good for you! I'll drink to that :sharebeer

I'm just thankful that we'll end up with too much money than we need, regardless of whether we hold VXUS or TRBCX.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord »

J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:56 pm
mrspock wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:56 pm Mr. Market really wants to run today, I think he's got the fireworks ready to go, and is ready to send them SOARING into the night sky!
Oh fudge, day traders are raining on the parade at the close. I knew that would happen; three days holding a stock is forever to them. :annoyed
Yeah, and thanks to them at 3:50 PM EDT my limit buy order executed while I was out getting some exercise. :D
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:47 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:19 pm I'm staying 90% VOO, Larry can't keep it up much longer; after beating the index for 27 years his luck is due to run out.
It's not only his luck.... After 27 years and a billion dollars, almost anyone is going to be thinking about retirement.
In April he said he wasn't going to retire. I'll bet Larry has more money than he knows what to do with. TRBCX is not the only fund he manages, even though he is a VP at T R Price he manages three other funds for other mutual fund companies.

They are all large cap growth funds. Larry is a specialist, I can see how it would be difficult to be able to follow all classes and types of stock and do it well.

He must have a pocket full of voting shares in some big companies; when he calls a C-Suite I'll bet the CEO takes his call.
H-Town wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:48 pm
I'm just thankful that we'll end up with too much money than we need, regardless of whether we hold VXUS or TRBCX.
True, there is enough for everybody. I just have to not try and get it all; that is when pigs get slaughtered.
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:54 pm Yeah, and thanks to them at 3:50 PM EDT my limit buy order executed while I was out getting some exercise. :D
I like when that happens, especially during the day just before the fund makes a "U" turn and goes up. I say to myself I'm good at this and wasn't even watching. Of course during free-falls it might take a buy or two or three or more before I get it right.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheTimeLord »

J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:47 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:54 pm Yeah, and thanks to them at 3:50 PM EDT my limit buy order executed while I was out getting some exercise. :D
I like when that happens, especially during the day just before the fund makes a "U" turn and goes up. I say to myself I'm good at this and wasn't even watching. Of course during free-falls it might take a buy or two or three or more before I get it right.
I laughed because I figured there would be a sell-off at some point today the I put the order in, but after almost 5 hours I figured it would just have to wait for another day then my phone buzzed. Sometimes things work out, other times they don't.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5514
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

Nasdaq and S&P futures are up.

Looking forward to another week of soaring equities.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
User avatar
Noobvestor
Posts: 5644
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:09 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Noobvestor »

Stinky wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 pm Nasdaq and S&P futures are up.

Looking forward to another week of soaring equities.
International developed and emerging are up even more. 8-)
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 1288
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by mrspock »

Stinky wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 pm Nasdaq and S&P futures are up.

Looking forward to another week of soaring equities.
+1. DOW up 400 pts, let's hope it holds to the open and beyond. FOMO FTW.
lostdog
Posts: 3167
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

Noobvestor wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:37 am
Stinky wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 pm Nasdaq and S&P futures are up.

Looking forward to another week of soaring equities.
International developed and emerging are up even more. 8-)
:moneybag
User avatar
Schlabba
Posts: 622
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Schlabba »

lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:54 am
Noobvestor wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:37 am
Stinky wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 pm Nasdaq and S&P futures are up.

Looking forward to another week of soaring equities.
International developed and emerging are up even more. 8-)
:moneybag
Normally I have a look at my investments every day. 2 weeks ago I decided to not look at them at least until the end of July. This :moneybag is giving me high hopes :D
Secretly a dividend investor. Feel free to ask why.
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 21510
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by abuss368 »

Here comes another 400+ on the Dow out of the gate!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Robot Monster
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

abuss368 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:11 am Here comes another 400+ on the Dow out of the gate!
Yep. And interesting headlines.

From MarketWatch (I know, eww)
"Dow futures jump 400 points to start the week, led by surge in China markets"

From Bloomberg
"China Propels Global Stock Rally to One-Month High"
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
CurlyDave
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by CurlyDave »

Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:22 am
abuss368 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:11 am Here comes another 400+ on the Dow out of the gate!
Yep. And interesting headlines.

From MarketWatch (I know, eww)
"Dow futures jump 400 points to start the week, led by surge in China markets"

From Bloomberg
"China Propels Global Stock Rally to One-Month High"
I saw that -- even the Hang Seng (Hong Kong) market was up 4%. Given the recent instability there, this is an amazing development.
Corsair
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 am
Location: WA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Corsair »

CurlyDave wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 am
Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:22 am
abuss368 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:11 am Here comes another 400+ on the Dow out of the gate!
Yep. And interesting headlines.

From MarketWatch (I know, eww)
"Dow futures jump 400 points to start the week, led by surge in China markets"

From Bloomberg
"China Propels Global Stock Rally to One-Month High"
I saw that -- even the Hang Seng (Hong Kong) market was up 4%. Given the recent instability there, this is an amazing development.
The Chinese government (state media) urged support of local markets, similar to 2015.
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
atdharris
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by atdharris »

This market continues to amaze me. So much uncertainty heading into earnings season, cases surging, the economy sputtering to fully re-open, and yet, the market continues to rocket higher.
CurlyDave
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by CurlyDave »

And, this is more than the common garden soaring we have seen. Almost like hitching a ride on one of Elon's rockets.
Robot Monster
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

atdharris wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:52 am This market continues to amaze me. So much uncertainty heading into earnings season, cases surging, the economy sputtering to fully re-open, and yet, the market continues to rocket higher.
That it continues to amaze should only serve to reinforce the Boglehead "nobody knows nothing" perspective.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
atdharris
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by atdharris »

Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:05 am
atdharris wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:52 am This market continues to amaze me. So much uncertainty heading into earnings season, cases surging, the economy sputtering to fully re-open, and yet, the market continues to rocket higher.
That it continues to amaze should only serve to reinforce the Boglehead "nobody knows nothing" perspective.
It does. That's why I didn't sell my stock in March when we were crashing. You simply cannot predict or time things accurately enough without a lot of luck which most of us don't have.
Robot Monster
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am
Location: New York

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Robot Monster »

Robot Monster wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:53 pm
mrspock wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:25 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:04 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:20 pm
H-Town wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:02 pm

1.47% VXUS 8-)

Of course, one doesn't need VXUS.
Every dog has his day.
At this point in time one doesn't need foreign stocks. I will reevaluate that in the 4th quarter.
That is all I have to say about that.
On top of the +1.47% VXUS, we have VWO +2.37% and MCHI (China ETF) +3.35%.
That is all I have to bark about that.
In another 10,000 basis points international will be caught up!

China ETF.... those poor investors might as well have just dumped their money in a barrel and lit it on fire. GDP up some absurd amount and almost none of it translated to the public markets for the last 25 years or so.
Those who invested in China ETF yesterday end of day are happy, though. Ladies and gentlemen...it's...battle of the timeframes!
Funny we talking about China, because while it was +3.35% Friday, it's +6.27% as of the moment today! Someone in the distant future please respond to this to see how it played out.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
lostdog
Posts: 3167
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

Losing steam...
User avatar
Stef
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stef »

I keep asking myself on a daily basis why I don't just hold 10-20% in QQQ :oops:
Independent George
Posts: 884
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Independent George »

I had vacation scheduled for the last two weeks; even though I didn't travel anywhere, I made a conscious effort to stay away from my computer.

As far as I can tell, my portfolio is worth roughly what it was when I was when I "left", but the "soaring" and "freefall" threads have both added a lot of pages.
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5514
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:33 am Losing steam...
Right back up
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
lostdog
Posts: 3167
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

Stinky wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:00 am
lostdog wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:33 am Losing steam...
Right back up
:moneybag
Hyperchicken
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Hyperchicken »

The two three posts right above are a perfect summary of this and the free falling thread. :twisted:
rascott
Posts: 2337
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by rascott »

Independent George wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:59 am I had vacation scheduled for the last two weeks; even though I didn't travel anywhere, I made a conscious effort to stay away from my computer.

As far as I can tell, my portfolio is worth roughly what it was when I was when I "left", but the "soaring" and "freefall" threads have both added a lot of pages.
Two weeks?

You could have said 1 year and also been about right.
Gufomel
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Gufomel »

How do companies like Amazon and Apple, valued at 1.5 trillion dollars, increase 4% in <expected> value in a day (I guess technically a few days including the long weekend)? Just incredible.

Yes that’s a rhetorical question.
lostdog
Posts: 3167
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

rascott wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:06 am
Independent George wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:59 am I had vacation scheduled for the last two weeks; even though I didn't travel anywhere, I made a conscious effort to stay away from my computer.

As far as I can tell, my portfolio is worth roughly what it was when I was when I "left", but the "soaring" and "freefall" threads have both added a lot of pages.
Two weeks?

You could have said 1 year and also been about right.
It's been sideways since January 2018...
Corsair
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 am
Location: WA

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Corsair »

AMZN hits $3000. TSLA $1300. :beer

<Insert picture of Jerome Powell laughing>
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
CurlyDave
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by CurlyDave »

Stef wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 am I keep asking myself on a daily basis why I don't just hold 10-20% in QQQ :oops:
I have been advocating QQQ for a while. I have 30% of the family portfolio in it. Except for the ever-diminishing % in bonds (I am not selling, but also not buying) the rest is even more "adventurous". It has been a very good decade.

Yet another all-time high for the Curly family portfolio. We have to sell something soon to pay the 2019 taxes, but after the last few weeks it will hurt a lot less.
User avatar
TechGuy365
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:57 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TechGuy365 »

CurlyDave wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:31 am
Stef wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 am I keep asking myself on a daily basis why I don't just hold 10-20% in QQQ :oops:
I have been advocating QQQ for a while. I have 30% of the family portfolio in it. Except for the ever-diminishing % in bonds (I am not selling, but also not buying) the rest is even more "adventurous". It has been a very good decade.

Yet another all-time high for the Curly family portfolio. We have to sell something soon to pay the 2019 taxes, but after the last few weeks it will hurt a lot less.
:sharebeer Cheers!!!! Congrats!!
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

Noobvestor wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:37 am
Stinky wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 pm Nasdaq and S&P futures are up.

Looking forward to another week of soaring equities.
International developed and emerging are up even more. 8-)
Me too, I have to wait until 6PM EDT to see how Larry's TRBCX does but large growth index VUG is up 2.2%
I'm getting very close to an all time high return. You have to be in it to win it. :greedy
aristotelian
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by aristotelian »

Stef wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 am I keep asking myself on a daily basis why I don't just hold 10-20% in QQQ :oops:
I've got about 3% of my portfolio in SCHG which has tracked closely. Unfortunately it has been offset by the other 3% or so in USMV and SLYV. I don't know why I even bother. :oops:
User avatar
jason2459
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jason2459 »

Stef wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 am I keep asking myself on a daily basis why I don't just hold 10-20% in QQQ :oops:
If you happen to hold the total stock market it may make you feel better that QQQ overlaps by weight by 35% with VTI and ITOT. And if you hold a SP500 fund QQQ overlaps by weight by 40% vs something like SPY.


Just happen to look that up this morning due to another post
https://www.etfrc.com/funds/overlap.php
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

aristotelian wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:34 am
Stef wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 am I keep asking myself on a daily basis why I don't just hold 10-20% in QQQ :oops:
I've got about 3% of my portfolio in SCHG which has tracked closely. Unfortunately it has been offset by the other 3% or so in USMV and SLYV. I don't know why I even bother. :oops:
You are not happy with a +.4% gain in a few hours? My how times have changed. This is the market that makes everyone look like a financial genius. Even the over priced "advisors" are making money for their flock. :greedy
CurlyDave
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by CurlyDave »

jason2459 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:47 am
Stef wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 am I keep asking myself on a daily basis why I don't just hold 10-20% in QQQ :oops:
If you happen to hold the total stock market it may make you feel better that QQQ overlaps by weight by 35% with VTI and ITOT. And if you hold a SP500 fund QQQ overlaps by weight by 40% vs something like SPY.


Just happen to look that up this morning due to another post
https://www.etfrc.com/funds/overlap.php
But over the last decade QQQ has blown the doors off of SPY or VOO.
User avatar
jason2459
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by jason2459 »

CurlyDave wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:32 pm
jason2459 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:47 am
Stef wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 am I keep asking myself on a daily basis why I don't just hold 10-20% in QQQ :oops:
If you happen to hold the total stock market it may make you feel better that QQQ overlaps by weight by 35% with VTI and ITOT. And if you hold a SP500 fund QQQ overlaps by weight by 40% vs something like SPY.


Just happen to look that up this morning due to another post
https://www.etfrc.com/funds/overlap.php
But over the last decade QQQ has blown the doors off of SPY or VOO.
I was just pointing the fact there is already some investment into QQQ with those two holdings. I have no opinion on holding more to QQQ or not. It was extremely good for me.
User avatar
Stef
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 am

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stef »

I have VTI but QQQ had a cagr of 3000%/year or something close to that in recent years.

Only reason I'm not buying QQQ is because I don't want to be a performance chaser.
rockstar
Posts: 706
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by rockstar »

Stef wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:38 pm I have VTI but QQQ had a cagr of 3000%/year or something close to that in recent years.

Only reason I'm not buying QQQ is because I don't want to be a performance chaser.
When I sold my holdings at the 300 day moving average and bought back in at a market 20x PE, I shifted my portfolio significantly into QQQ. I now have a 9% position in VOO. Most of the rest is in QQQ. I don't think it's chasing performance. It's that we're in COVID and good chunk of the sectors in VOO are going to under perform in this environment.
User avatar
J G Bankerton
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by J G Bankerton »

Post Reply