U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
minimalistmarc

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by minimalistmarc »

Patzer wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:30 pm
lostdog wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:20 am I'm so glad I didn't react to the trolls back in February and March. That was hell reading those sell now troll posts.
Calling people with a different and well researched opinion a troll is a pretty silly thing to do.
I guess I was a "troll" for suggesting sell side action in late-February/early-March, buys in mid-late March, and rebalancing action that takes advantage of a 2700-2950 trading range in April to present.

Sure I did make 1 bad sell on March 24th after buying a lot on March 23rd, which I regret.

I guess I will just have to take solace in outperforming the S&P 500 by 13.5% so far this year.
To be fair, there were a lot of trolls near the bottom of the crash. Some of them are still around.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

lostdog wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:20 am I'm so glad I didn't react to the trolls back in February and March. That was hell reading those sell now troll posts.
Calling people with a different and well researched opinion a troll is a pretty silly thing to do.
I guess I was a "troll" for suggesting sell side action in late-February/early-March, buys in mid-late March, and rebalancing action that takes advantage of a 2700-2950 trading range in April to present.

Sure I did make 1 bad sell on March 24th after buying a lot on March 23rd, which I regret.

I guess I will just have to take solace in outperforming the S&P 500 by 13.5% so far this year.
I mean if I would have listened and sold at the bottom, I would be mumbling something worse than "troll" at this point.
cpan00b

Post by cpan00b »

Lol so is no one in this thread market timing and selling now with the hopes that S&P returns to sub 2500 with Q2 earnings?
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

cpan00b wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm Lol so is no one in this thread market timing and selling now with the hopes that S&P returns to sub 2500 with Q2 earnings?
Waiting till this filthy dead cat bounce hits 5000 then I’ll sell off.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

cpan00b wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm Lol so is no one in this thread market timing and selling now with the hopes that S&P returns to sub 2500 with Q2 earnings?
If I was going to sell, I'd look at 26x ttm earnings. That's around where we topped off last time.

I usually try to minimize my downside by selling at the 300 day moving average and buying back in when the ttm PE is 20x or below. I'm terrible at calling tops.
cpan00b

Post by cpan00b »

I'll be honest, I sold off about $60k around today and last time we hit ~2940 on April 29, bringing my AA to 25% cash now (75-25). Probably not the right call but I feel more comfortable now and will probably sleep a little better. I guess it'll be a test to see how much FOMO I get if the market climbs back up to 3300. I was at an AA of 80-20 at the very top, slowly DCA'ed in until I was 90-10 at the very bottom. I haven't invested any new money since then, with each of my paychecks going straight to cash since end of March.
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

Not a lot to shout about when the market is trading in a range where there is not an obvious move.
I am rebalancing to my allocation (75/25) each time we have a few up days in a row or a few down days in a row slowly shaving off little chunks of outperformance.

I think we have a 8-10% drop in late June and plan to make some trades to take advantage of that as we get closer to it.
warowits

Post by warowits »

The problem with market timing is now you not only need to be right about what the economy will do, you also have to be right about what the government will do. As far as I can tell stocks have decoupled from economic reality. My only questions are when will we go down again, and what unthinkable measures will the government take in response?
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

LOL "well researched". If you think you can time the market then you clearly are not doing good research.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

No action on this thread since last night.

Stocks are up modestly as I type. At least they aren’t backtracking after yesterday’s Really Big Day.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Stef

Post by Stef »

We are slowly getting to the SMA200 value. Time to rebuy for the market timers.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Stinky wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:59 pm No action on this thread since last night.

Stocks are up modestly as I type. At least they aren’t backtracking after yesterday’s Really Big Day.
After yesterday's run, I was a little disappointed to find that I had not crossed a rebalancing point. Some soaring market this turned out to be.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Courtesy of this soaring market, I’m back to “even” for my portfolio value — including addition of new capital. Was a long crawl back, happy to be making new highs again. When we get back to even one day ... oh baby... can’t wait!

Bought both stocks and bonds today, feels good to be buying at a discount.
Forester

Post by Forester »

Gold miners have quietly doubled since the low :greedy
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

What happened in the last hour?
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Experimental vaccine tests turned out less promising than anticipated.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Stinky wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:02 pm What happened in the last hour?
The Congressional Budget Office said that they expect social distancing to continue, but I wouldn't think that would be enough to cause the movement we saw. And Powell and Mnuchin's testimony occurred well before the drop.
Hyperchicken wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm Experimental vaccine tests turned out less promising than anticipated.
That was probably it.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Not enough data to assess Moderna Covid-19 vaccine: STAT News
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/05/19/n ... -news.html

Vaccine experts say Moderna didn’t produce data critical to assessing Covid-19 vaccine
https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/19/vac ... 9-vaccine/
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

7eight9 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:09 pm Not enough data to assess Moderna Covid-19 vaccine: STAT News
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/05/19/n ... -news.html

Vaccine experts say Moderna didn’t produce data critical to assessing Covid-19 vaccine
https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/19/vac ... 9-vaccine/
Well, Moderna does have a secondary offering happening in a few days. I am sure all the media releases prior to any official data release is just a coincidence.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

This market feels very irrational right now.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is where to deploy new capital. Bonds look expensive with yields so low. Stock valuations are reaching for their highs before the March crash. I'm thinking about deploying new cash to pay my mortgage down faster. And I might shift my 401k from buying the S&P to buying a stable income fund. I'm not touching anything else. The recent moves in the market have been fast and furious.
bog007

Post by bog007 »

200 day moving average

http://schrts.co/RSpnkXDs
Carl von Clausewitz, ‘The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.’
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

rockstar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:55 pm This market feels very irrational right now.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is where to deploy new capital. Bonds look expensive with yields so low. Stock valuations are reaching for their highs before the March crash. I'm thinking about deploying new cash to pay my mortgage down faster. And I might shift my 401k from buying the S&P to buying a stable income fund. I'm not touching anything else. The recent moves in the market have been fast and furious.
Yes, paying off the house should be a priority. I also did this with a recent windfall. With the excess money I plan to DCA into 100% VTSAX. Holding debt under the current situation (or under any situation, really) puts you in a vulnerable position.

Put your investments on autopilot and continue to invest automatically as you do now. What things "look" like are irrelevant when putting new money into the market if you are 5+ years from retirement. If you are nervous, consider dollar cost averaging. Investing in bonds, especially with yields as they are now, is a loser. You lose money from inflation alone on a "stable income funds".

If you are nervous about these minor swings, focus on getting your net worth to a point where fluctuations like we have seen are irrelevant to your overall picture.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

bog007 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:03 pm 200 day moving average

So what?

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

TheDDC wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:41 pm

So what?

-TheDDC
Well, it's moving. It has been 200 days. And it is average. Self-explanatory :wink:
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

TheDDC wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:40 pm
rockstar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:55 pm This market feels very irrational right now.

Yes, paying off the house should be a priority. I also did this with a recent windfall. With the excess money I plan to DCA into 100% VTSAX. Holding debt under the current situation (or under any situation, really) puts you in a vulnerable position.

Put your investments on autopilot and continue to invest automatically as you do now. What things "look" like are irrelevant when putting new money into the market if you are 5+ years from retirement. If you are nervous, consider dollar cost averaging. Investing in bonds, especially with yields as they are now, is a loser. You lose money from inflation alone on a "stable income funds".

If you are nervous about these minor swings, focus on getting your net worth to a point where fluctuations like we have seen are irrelevant to your overall picture.

-TheDDC
I'm adding money to the 401k for the match, so I win even if the stable income fund is below inflation. It's not like I can buy bonds that pay more unless I buy junk.

I'll increase my additional principal in my home as the interest rate on my home is far more than I can get from investment grade bonds. Equities near 25x earnings will over a decade give me maybe a point or two above the mortgage rate. I'd rather have it paid down enough to flip into a 15 year in the near future.

My portfolio is positive for the year. I sold when the market dropped below the 300 day moving average, and I bought back in once on the market's ttm PE broke 20x. It's not really timing as much as it is trying to limit my downside. It rarely drops below the 300 day moving average, so I'm mostly buy and hold.

This could be a bear rally. But I really don't know. Earnings are going to be bad in Q2.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

And your point is what?
Stef

Post by Stef »

Stinky wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:53 pm

And your point is what?
Time to buy stocks again :D
bog007

Post by bog007 »

major resistance...
Carl von Clausewitz, ‘The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.’
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

bog007 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:24 am major resistance...
"Major resistance" at what level of S&P?

FWIW, S&P has traded up again this morning. Currently close to 2,960, up 1.25% on the day.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Stinky wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:56 am

FWIW, S&P has traded up again this morning. Currently close to 2,960, up 1.25% on the day.
According to that chart, 296.6. Which is coincidentally what it is trading at exactly this minute.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

canadianbacon wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:59 am

According to that chart, 296.6. Which is coincidentally what it is trading at exactly this minute.
Looks like we've nudged above 296.6. What happens now? Has the "resistance" crumbled?
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Has the market ever been rational? The daily market moves have always been semi-random - and these days, most of the movement is driven by high-frequency trading algorithms.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Stinky wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:28 am
canadianbacon wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:59 am

Looks like we've nudged above 296.6. What happens now? Has the "resistance" crumbled?
It depends whether we have formed a double-pendant or a candelabra formation. I'm surprised you ask this, it's basic technical analysis.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

People forget Occupy Wall Street started in 2011, not in 2008 when the banks got bailed out.

I think S&P will hit 3000 soon :beer
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Corsair wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 am Unemployment numbers approaching Great Depression numbers and S&P at 3000 :beer
I learned last week from David Stein's Money for the Rest of Us podcast that S&P 500 firms only employ 17% of the U.S. workforce.

That means that the entire publicly traded stock market (i.e. total stock market) covers no more than one-fifth of U.S. workers' employers.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:57 am
Corsair wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 am Unemployment numbers approaching Great Depression numbers and S&P at 3000 :beer
I learned last week from David Stein's Money for the Rest of Us podcast that S&P 500 firms only employ 17% of the U.S. workforce.
Hmm I didn't know this, very good stat. :beer
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
Jim180

Post by Jim180 »

That means that the entire publicly traded stock market (i.e. total stock market) covers no more than one-fifth of U.S. workers' employers.
But that raises the question "Why then did the market fall so much when the shutdown was announced?"
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Jim180 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:46 am

But that raises the question "Why then did the market fall so much when the shutdown was announced?"
Perhaps market participants initially believed that the impact of the virus and shutdown was going to be more severe than they do now. The Fed stepping in certainly played a big role in that; they responded much faster during the current crisis than in the financial crisis of 2008-2009.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Do you have an IPS? I would simply suggest you follow it. You know those stats which say X% of investors underperform the market? It’s their failure to act rationally (sticking to the plan) at times like now which causes this.

Large movements to the upside it exactly what the market does .... since it’s inception. If you remove just a handful of these days you will underperform. Nothing new is happening here.
theorist

Post by theorist »

Another soaring day! And small caps (especially SCV) lead the way, showing some faith in the start of a recovery.

To tell the truth, I am not sure what is making investors so bullish given that we’ve just started opening up and there could be a boatload of new cases from failed adherence to social distancing standards emerging in the near future. But, I’ve got my fingers crossed that it is a clean ramp up and almost a V shaped recovery! 🤞🏽
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

theorist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:24 pm Another soaring day! And small caps (especially SCV) lead the way, showing some faith in the start of a recovery.

To tell the truth, I am not sure what is making investors so bullish given that we’ve just started opening up and there could be a boatload of new cases from failed adherence to social distancing standards emerging in the near future. But, I’ve got my fingers crossed that it is a clean ramp up and almost a V shaped recovery! 🤞🏽
Nah, we are not even close to "start of a recovery" yet. The economy is very much in diving mode. I would not think that the economy has found a bottom yet. I'm curious to see Q2 revenue guidance and results.

The market is very bullish on the outlook of the future post-Covid-19. It's a dangerous place to be. If it ends up to be "castle in the sky" (no one knows at this point), the market will literally free-fall.
calvin+hobbes

Post by calvin+hobbes »

H-Town wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:36 pm
theorist wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:24 pm Another soaring day! And small caps (especially SCV) lead the way, showing some faith in the start of a recovery.

Nah, we are not even close to "start of a recovery" yet. The economy is very much in diving mode. I would not think that the economy has found a bottom yet. I'm curious to see Q2 revenue guidance and results.

The market is very bullish on the outlook of the future post-Covid-19. It's a dangerous place to be. If it ends up to be "castle in the sky" (no one knows at this point), the market will literally free-fall.
Not necessarily for buy and hold investors with longer term outlooks. If the bottom falls out (again) I just hope it happens before my 403b is maxed out for the year.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Keep on soaring, U.S. stocks! :sharebeer

"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

mrspock wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:20 pm Courtesy of this soaring market, I’m back to “even” for my portfolio value — including addition of new capital. Was a long crawl back, happy to be making new highs again. When we get back to even one day ... oh baby... can’t wait!

I’ve appreciated your exhuberance for buying throughout these last couple months. At times I’ve felt like the weird one. I’ve been excitedly buying up all I can.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
rascott

Post by rascott »

JonnyDVM wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:14 pm
mrspock wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:20 pm Courtesy of this soaring market, I’m back to “even” for my portfolio value — including addition of new capital. Was a long crawl back, happy to be making new highs again. When we get back to even one day ... oh baby... can’t wait!

I’ve appreciated your exhuberance for buying throughout these last couple months. At times I’ve felt like the weird one. I’ve been excitedly buying up all I can.
My only disappointment has been not a long enough buying period to much move the needle.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

H-Town wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:36 pmThe market is very bullish on the outlook of the future post-Covid-19. It's a dangerous place to be. If it ends up to be "castle in the sky" (no one knows at this point), the market will literally free-fall.
That's okay, we have a thread for that.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:58 pm
H-Town wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:36 pmThe market is very bullish on the outlook of the future post-Covid-19. It's a dangerous place to be. If it ends up to be "castle in the sky" (no one knows at this point), the market will literally free-fall.
We actually have two threads for that. If you want to comment on the stock market actually free-falling, use this thread (no posts since last Friday!!)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80065&p=5254173&hi ... l#p5254173

If you want to comment on why the stock market isn't free-falling when the economy is, use this thread (very active recently)

viewtopic.php?p=5264240#p5264240

This just goes to prove that you can find a thread on the Forum that will support darned near any point of view.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Stinky wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:13 pm
We actually have two threads for that. If you want to comment on the stock market actually free-falling, use this thread (no posts since last Friday!!)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80065&p=5254173&hi ... l#p5254173

If you want to comment on why the stock market isn't free-falling when the economy is, use this thread (very active recently)

viewtopic.php?p=5264240#p5264240

This just goes to prove that you can find a thread on the Forum that will support darned near any point of view.
I was referring to the first one. Nice to see it drop down a few pages!
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

That thread happens to be my favorite thread.
bog007

Post by bog007 »

so close to the 200 day. very important . break above and the bull will run more. but failed moves are fast moves. gluck

http://schrts.co/QzbSxvGW