U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Bluce

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Bluce » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:32 pm

UberGrub wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:07 pm
Bluce wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:23 pm
AnalogKid22 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:54 am
What about the Friday the 13th scenario?! :)
Yeah that really scared me, not to mention the double-whammy of the harvest moon tonight, so I sold everything this morning and bought gold bullion, batteries, milk, bread, and ammunition. :shock:
Based on the conversation earlier:
But was the bread international or only domestic? :mrgreen:
DOMESTIC!!! :sharebeer

stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 pm

305pelusa wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:39 pm
I think because it went ex-dividend today.
aah! did not realize that. Thanks!

Snowbird

Post by Snowbird » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:03 am

305pelusa wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:30 pm
Snowbird wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:07 pm
305pelusa wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:39 pm
stocknoob4111 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:32 pm
Any idea why VTSAX (Vanguard Total Market) fell 0.5% today while the S&P 500 fell only 0.07% and checking most of the mid caps funds were down 0.3% or so, small caps were slightly up. I was thinking an aggregate of all those asset classes would result in almost a flat outcome. Bonds were the only thing that fell sharply today, but VTSAX for some reason did as well.
I think because it went ex-dividend today.
Please excuse my ignorance but wouldn't that tend to make it be higher than the S&P instead of lower?
The day a fund/stock goes ex-dividend, it pays its holders the dividend amount and the price of the fund/stock immediately decreases by that dividend amount. Otherwise, one could just buy the day before, receive the dividend, and then sell right back at the purchase price, having made a profit out of nowhere. The market is efficient and arbitrages this such that whoever holds the stock/fund and does receive a dividend also ends up with a stock/fund worth one dividend less in price.

I believe the S&P 500 goes ex-dividend on 9/20 but VTSAX went ex-dividend today. So VTSAX seemingly dropped today but the S&P didn't. I would expect next Friday we'd see the opposite; a security like SPY will drop around 0.5% more than VTSAX. VFIAX goes ex-dividend on 9/24 so keep your eyes out; on that Monday, VFIAX will drop around 0.5% more than VTSAX.

Does that make sense?
Yes. Thank you.

MJS

Post by MJS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:17 pm

305pelusa wrote:
I believe the S&P 500 goes ex-dividend on 9/20 but VTSAX went ex-dividend today. So VTSAX seemingly dropped today but the S&P didn't. I would expect next Friday we'd see the opposite; a security like SPY will drop around 0.5% more than VTSAX. VFIAX goes ex-dividend on 9/24 so keep your eyes out; on that Monday, VFIAX will drop around 0.5% more than VTSAX.

Does that make sense?
This why I love the Soar/Free fall threads. Things you didn't know you didn't know are first discussed and then explained. Thanks Stocknoob and Pelusa!

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:30 pm

MJS wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:17 pm
305pelusa wrote:

Does that make sense?
This why I love the Soar/Free fall threads. Things you didn't know you didn't know are first discussed and then explained. Thanks Stocknoob and Pelusa!
And that’s why I like the Bogleheads site in general. About twice a week I learn something useful, that I wasn’t even looking for, by just browsing the active threads.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:10 pm

Time to get off the free fall thread. It’s been three weeks since a post here.

Market up almost 1% today. Up yesterday.

Clearly soaring! :moneybag

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:11 pm

Like clockwork. A quick dip and voila! Another rate cut priced in. Equities rally back to near ATH's due to multiple expansion as earnings continue to deteriorate. Rinse and repeat for the next 12 months.

What happens when earnings continue their decline with stocks at all time highs, the Fed funds rate at 0, and the 10 yr sub 1%?

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:19 pm

And I'm up $5! :beer :sharebeer

Yeah, except I'm up $0 because apparently NEAR isn't one of those iShare ETF's that trade for free......... :oops: :oops: :oops: Got too excited about buying the dip. Saw I had $50 leftover and nowhere to put it. NEAR traded for $50 & paid better than the sweep so... it sounded great. Except I forgot to check the total price.... :oops:

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:52 pm

robertmcd wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:11 pm
Like clockwork. A quick dip and voila! Another rate cut priced in. Equities rally back to near ATH's due to multiple expansion as earnings continue to deteriorate. Rinse and repeat for the next 12 months.

What happens when earnings continue their decline with stocks at all time highs, the Fed funds rate at 0, and the 10 yr sub 1%?
Negative rates and uncharted waters :shock:

Maybe a mild recession and low future returns after?

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:01 pm

I removed an off-topic economic policy comment. As a reminder, see: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:06 pm

JBeck wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:52 pm
robertmcd wrote:

The problem is going to be when the 2 yr yield goes negative on its own, when the FFR is 0-0.25%. There is gonna have to be a decision for negative rates made, because a positive yield curve is necessary. My guess is fiscal/MMT with rate caps maintained by POMO. Keeping my eye on gold and value stocks for that time. If they choose to just go negative FFR for a positive sloping yield curve, then the status quo will continue to outperform (long duration/growth).

Walkure

Post by Walkure » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:48 pm

robertmcd wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:06 pm
JBeck wrote:
robertmcd wrote:

The problem is going to be when the 2 yr yield goes negative on its own, when the FFR is 0-0.25%. There is gonna have to be a decision for negative rates made, because a positive yield curve is necessary. My guess is fiscal/MMT with rate caps maintained by POMO. Keeping my eye on gold and value stocks for that time. If they choose to just go negative FFR for a positive sloping yield curve, then the status quo will continue to outperform (long duration/growth).
I don't see the necessity of a positive yield curve in the event of protracted negative rates. My intuitive notion is that the yield curve should naturally flatten approaching zero, then mirror itself about the x-axis as rates go negative. In other words, in a regime where rates are negative and expected to remain so indefinitely, you would rationally be willing to invest in a 30-yr at -1% over a 5-year at -.5% to avoid the reinvestment risk of having short term rates below -1% five years out.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:53 pm

Walkure wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:48 pm

I don't see the necessity of a positive yield curve in the event of protracted negative rates. My intuitive notion is that the yield curve should naturally flatten approaching zero, then mirror itself about the x-axis as rates go negative. In other words, in a regime where rates are negative and expected to remain so indefinitely, you would rationally be willing to invest in a 30-yr at -1% over a 5-year at -.5% to avoid the reinvestment risk of having short term rates below -1% five years out.
Just thinking about the shape of the yield curve in a negative interest rate environment makes my head hurt.

I think I’ll go have a good stiff drink. It’s Friday afternoon, and it’s 5 o’clock somewhere. :sharebeer

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:53 pm

Walkure wrote:
robertmcd wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:06 pm
JBeck wrote:
robertmcd wrote:

In a brutal deflationary recession that could easily be possible considering we are that point right now with an inverted yield curve. No reason you couldn't have an inverted yield curve all at negative rates.
Last edited by robertmcd on Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:56 pm

Walkure wrote:
That doesn't seem right to me. Whether interest rates are positive or negative, longer duration bonds have higher risk, and therefore should be compensated by a higher interest rate.

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:00 pm

DonIce wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:56 pm
Walkure wrote:
That doesn't seem right to me. Whether interest rates are positive or negative, longer duration bonds have higher risk, and therefore should be compensated by a higher interest rate.
Right now a 3 mo T bill yields more than a 10 yr treasury bond. So why couldn't a 3 mo T bill yield -.5% and the 10 yr -1.0%?

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:05 pm

robertmcd wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:00 pm
DonIce wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:56 pm
Walkure wrote:
Right now a 3 mo T bill yields more than a 10 yr treasury bond. So why couldn't a 3 mo T bill yield -.5% and the 10 yr -1.0%?
It could, but a downward sloping yield curve would still likely be the exception rather than the norm.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:41 pm

And back to the topic, U.S. stocks did indeed soar today...

Cheers!
:beer
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:30 pm

oldzey wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:41 pm
And back to the topic, U.S. stocks did indeed soar today...

Cheers!
:beer
So Marie Kondo would approve of hoarding VTSAX? :sharebeer

Bluce

Post by Bluce » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:55 pm

My 30/70 PF was up .51% today -- reaching another all-time $ high.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:50 pm

Get ready for the big one; this is the moment we have been waiting for. :sharebeer

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:57 am

Free Fall is quiet. Soar roars once more.

:oops:
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | Do you know how to make a rain dance work? Dance until it rains.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:27 am

Looks like a possible big soar today.
Total World Stock and Total World Bond. The simple two fund diversified portfolio. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:50 am

Rose-colored glasses are on early this morning.

stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:01 am

A trade deal or the biggest let down in recent history, either way it's going to be big.

Bluce

Post by Bluce » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:45 am

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:35 pm

Several off-topic posts were removed. As a reminder, political comments are off-topic for the forum. See Unacceptable Topics:
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:47 am

Soaring today!

S&P back to almost 3000. About 1% off all time high.

Livelife2fullest

Post by Livelife2fullest » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:06 am

Strong start to the earnings season! 🚀

Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:59 am

I can't think of a time ever when there was more fear about the market, yet more potential for it to explode upwards. I'm sure I'm wrong, someone chime in. Even so - after the usual caveats that things can go south, or meander, etc etc... should Brexit, Tariffs, and corporate profits all resolve to the upside in the next 6-9 months it could be a monster year.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Portfolio7 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:59 am
I can't think of a time ever when there was more fear about the market, yet more potential for it to explode upwards. I'm sure I'm wrong, someone chime in. Even so - after the usual caveats that things can go south, or meander, etc etc... should Brexit, Tariffs, and corporate profits all resolve to the upside in the next 6-9 months it could be a monster year.
I agree that there is a lot of fear in the market, but there definitely seems to have been more fear back in 2008. I'm not sure if there is a lot of potential for substantial growth in the near future, although a good trade deal and a couple of other possible moves (which are not allowed on the forum) could do it.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Bluce wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:32 pm
UberGrub wrote:
Disagree! French, Italian, Jewish, and Indian bread (among others) are all far superior to domestic Wonder-style bread. But then there is Sourdough (Invented in Europe, but now far more popular in the US) to consider...

I would propose a highly-diversified mix, with a significant International tilt to be the ideal allocation. Celiac sufferers should stay in cash.

Bluce

Post by Bluce » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:31 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:19 pm
Bluce wrote:
UberGrub wrote:
Disagree! French, Italian, Jewish, and Indian bread (among others) are all far superior to domestic Wonder-style bread. But then there is Sourdough (Invented in Europe, but now far more popular in the US) to consider...

I would propose a highly-diversified mix, with a significant International tilt to be the ideal allocation. Celiac sufferers should stay in cash.
I grew up with a baker for a father -- we always had homemade rye bread on hand, or maybe Italian sometimes.

NO WONDER BREAD!

UberGrub

Post by UberGrub » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Bluce wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:31 pm
lazydavid wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:19 pm
Bluce wrote:
UberGrub wrote:

I grew up with a baker for a father -- we always had homemade rye bread on hand, or maybe Italian sometimes.

NO WONDER BREAD!
Moderators be like: Seriously guys?

Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:01 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:05 pm
Portfolio7 wrote:
I agree that there is a lot of fear in the market, but there definitely seems to have been more fear back in 2008. I'm not sure if there is a lot of potential for substantial growth in the near future, although a good trade deal and a couple of other possible moves (which are not allowed on the forum) could do it.
Good point, in the throes of a recession it's often true that fear is high and opportunity as well, and especially in late 2008 and through much of 2009. I think there are a few forms of bias in the way I phrased that.

To try to state it more directly: this market environment strikes me as relatively high fear, high opportunity, in a way that's less extreme, but not dissimilar to late and post-recession psychology. In any case, this being a thread about market optimism, it's always fun to see all the green return numbers.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Portfolio7 wrote:
Agreed. Everyone is afraid of both missing out and losing their pants.

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 pm

Bluce wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:45 am
Looks like it's diving rather than soaring... hmmmm.... :wink:
Trade the news and you will lose.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:35 pm

U.S. Stock Market continues to do great.

2,995.68 +29.53 (1.00%)

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:35 pm

2,995.68 +29.53 (1.00%)
Been over 3,000 a few times now, the key is to stay there!

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:48 pm

z3r0c00l wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:36 pm
Trader Joe wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:35 pm

2,995.68 +29.53 (1.00%)
Been over 3,000 a few times now, the key is to stay there!
It's been two years of sideways taunting since January 2018. Something will give, either up or down.
Total World Stock and Total World Bond. The simple two fund diversified portfolio. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:32 am

lostdog wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:48 pm
It's been two years of sideways taunting since January 2018. Something will give, either up or down.
looking at the past it does look like a 24 month period of consolidation usually results in a breakout to the upside, especially since we had a nasty pullback last Dec. I don't think we would've maintained the same price level for so long just to go down drastically from this point... that would've already happened by now if it had to...many price levels below our current have already been supported by buyers.

Although plenty of forecasters calling for that 2100 on the SPX which is the bottom of the broadening top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1O_svyiJBA

But he does SAY that it's a secular bull trend and after it corrects it will recover and break out up from the current highs...

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:04 am

S&P is up 0.5% in early day trading, to 3005 now.

Continuing to climb that "wall of worry". Maybe this time will be the "breakout" to new highs.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:11 am

Stinky wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:04 am
S&P is up 0.5% in early day trading, to 3005 now.

Continuing to climb that "wall of worry". Maybe this time will be the "breakout" to new highs.
(from the free fall thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80065&start=12200#p4784584)
retiringwhen wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:28 pm
DonIce wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:51 pm
I think sticking strictly to the definitions that I've seen, we've had the following markets, going by the S&P500 Index:

6MAR2009 - 2MAY2011: Bull Market (From a low of 666.8 to a high of 1363.6) [104.5% gain]
3MAY2011 - 4OCT2011: Bear Market (From a high of 1363.6 to a low of 1074.8) [21.2% drop]
5OCT2011 - 21SEP2018: Bull Market (From a low of 1074.8 to a high of 2940.9) [173.6% gain]
24SEP2018 - 26DEC2018: Bear Market (From a high of 2940.9 to a low of 2346.6) [ 20.2% drop]
27DEC2018 - 26JUL2019: Bull Market (From a low of 2346.6 to a high of 3028.0) [29.0% gain]
27JUL2019 - Today: Unknown (If the markets reach new highs above 3028.0 that means we're still in a bull market, but if they hit a low of 2422.4 before they ever exceed 3028.0, that means we've been in a bear market since Jul 27)
I am taping this to refrigerator to end quarrels at the dinner table :-)
This means, I am only about 20 points away from having to update the note on the refrigerator!

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:51 pm

lostdog wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:48 pm
It may be sideways now but not always.
DonIce wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:51 pm
24SEP2018 - 26DEC2018: Bear Market (From a high of 2940.9 to a low of 2346.6) [ 20.2% drop]
My buys of December 27, 2018 are up 24.9%, not counting dividends. My US stock holdings are up about 20% over the last 22 months counting dividends. Buy the dips. :greedy

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:27 pm

ThereAreNoGurus wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 pm
Bluce wrote:
Up, up, and away!

"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:44 pm

oldzey wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:27 pm
ThereAreNoGurus wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 pm
Bluce wrote:
Up, up, and away!

There is a bit of a problem with that second picture if you think about what happens next. At least in terms of this soaring thread anyways. :happy

firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:35 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:51 pm
My buys of December 27, 2018 are up 24.9%, not counting dividends. My US stock holdings are up about 20% over the last 22 months counting dividends. Buy the dips. :greedy
Good timing. I was afraid to post in the YTD thread. I am up way over 25% and I don't know how I did it, except losing lots of money in the fall of 2018 seems to have helped. The entire increase was between Christmas and July 25th.
A fool and your money are soon partners

Bluce

Post by Bluce » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Bluce wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:55 pm
My 30/70 PF was up .51% today -- reaching another all-time $ high.
Did it again! :shock:

PF was up .14% today, pushing the $ value to another all-time high. :moneybag

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 pm

firebirdparts wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:35 pm
J G Bankerton wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:51 pm
Good timing.
I buy VTI every month, if VTI falls I buy more. I did get a wee bit concerned by Christmases of last year wondering when the knife was going to stop falling.

MJS

Post by MJS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:18 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:44 pm

There is a bit of a problem with that ... picture if you think about what happens next. At least in terms of this soaring thread anyways. :happy
You mean this thread gets loopy every once in a while?