Median pay for 30 Bay Area companies

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Locked
Tamales
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:47 am

Median pay for 30 Bay Area companies

Post by Tamales » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:41 pm

article: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/20/faceboo ... firms.html

and related, $117k now considered low income in bay area: http://fortune.com/2018/06/27/bay-area- ... using-hud/

Here's the top 30 median pay (not sure what benefits were included/excluded, whether the numbers are US-based employees only, and whether this includes only salaried employees). Too bad they don't have to include every percentile, not just median. It's not like that would take any extra work since it's all computer-generated from a database.
  • 1 facebook $240,430
    2 alphabet $197,274
    3 box $181,100
    4 netflix $183,304
    5 servicenow $180,049
    6 xilinx $165,762
    7 twitter $161,860
    8 arista networks $160,048
    9 intuitive surgical $157,491
    10 salesforce.com $155,284
    11 square $152,265
    12 gopro $151,857
    13 nvidia corp $147,640
    14 zynga $140,382
    15 biomarin pharma $140,140
    16 chevron $137,849
    17 vmware $137,712
    18 ebay $122,891
    19 equinix $119,045
    20 autodesk $115,892
    21 netgear $105,318
    22 intel corp $102,100
    23 charles schwab $98,152
    24 electronic arts $96,336
    25 advanced micro devices $89,909
    26 dell technologies $83,139
    27 paypal holdings $70,228
    28 wells fargo & co $60,446
    29 yelp $59,298
    30 tesla $49,920
    31 cypress semiconductor $44,846

mervinj7
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Re: Median pay for 30 Bay Area companies

Post by mervinj7 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Like livesoft would say, garbage in, garbage out. It lists the median pay of 30 "Bay Area" companies but doesn't list what the median pay is for their Bay Area based employees specifically. For example, the average pay for Intel is listed at $102k but that includes the wages of every manufacturing employee in Oregon. I would assume the average pay for a Santa Clara based non-factory based employee (e.g. engineer) would be much higher.

User avatar
jharkin
Posts: 1873
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Boston suburbs

Re: Median pay for 30 Bay Area companies

Post by jharkin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:53 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:40 pm
Like livesoft would say, garbage in, garbage out. It lists the median pay of 30 "Bay Area" companies but doesn't list what the median pay is for their Bay Area based employees specifically. For example, the average pay for Intel is listed at $102k but that includes the wages of every manufacturing employee in Oregon. I would assume the average pay for a Santa Clara based non-factory based employee (e.g. engineer) would be much higher.
Yep.... And you know somebody is going to read this and declare that CS new hires right out of college should get these salaries :oops:

pascal
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Re: Median pay for 30 Bay Area companies

Post by pascal » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:26 pm

clickbait. Not actionable. Not talking about OP but of those websites.
"Never underestimate the ability of a bad situation to get worse...rapidly." Ninegrams

Engineer250
Posts: 1048
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:41 pm

Re: Median pay for 30 Bay Area companies

Post by Engineer250 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:35 pm

jharkin wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:53 pm
mervinj7 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:40 pm
Like livesoft would say, garbage in, garbage out. It lists the median pay of 30 "Bay Area" companies but doesn't list what the median pay is for their Bay Area based employees specifically. For example, the average pay for Intel is listed at $102k but that includes the wages of every manufacturing employee in Oregon. I would assume the average pay for a Santa Clara based non-factory based employee (e.g. engineer) would be much higher.
Yep.... And you know somebody is going to read this and declare that CS new hires right out of college should get these salaries :oops:
Plenty of Bogleheads posted about their kids making $100k+ right out of college. Makes me wonder what I did with my life.
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.

Tamales
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:47 am

Re: Median pay for 30 Bay Area companies

Post by Tamales » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:36 pm

mervin, you're reading a purpose into the data that isn't part of the intent. The data comes from the form DEF 14a disclosure, and all public companies now have to provide this info as part of that filing with the SEC. The purpose is to derive a ratio of median employee pay across the employee base relative to the CEO's pay, because Congress decided they needed to disclose that.

The article picked companies in the Bay Area probably just because of the concentration of high market cap companies and recognizable names, but they could also have pulled data for Montana-based companies and listed the median pay of their workforce. Apparently each company is supposed to explain what they included/excluded in their calculations as part of their Form 14a filing, but the rules seem to leave a lot of wiggle room to account for different compensation practices across companies. And as you note, many companies have large numbers of lower-paid staff, including in other countries where the same job may pay significantly less.

FireProof
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Re: Median pay for 30 Bay Area companies

Post by FireProof » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Engineer250 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:35 pm
jharkin wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:53 pm
mervinj7 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:40 pm
Like livesoft would say, garbage in, garbage out. It lists the median pay of 30 "Bay Area" companies but doesn't list what the median pay is for their Bay Area based employees specifically. For example, the average pay for Intel is listed at $102k but that includes the wages of every manufacturing employee in Oregon. I would assume the average pay for a Santa Clara based non-factory based employee (e.g. engineer) would be much higher.
Yep.... And you know somebody is going to read this and declare that CS new hires right out of college should get these salaries :oops:
Plenty of Bogleheads posted about their kids making $100k+ right out of college. Makes me wonder what I did with my life.
Bay Area CS out of college definitely gets over 100K, even at small, unknown companies.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48641
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Median pay for 30 Bay Area companies

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:04 pm

The discussion is not an investing topic. This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (employment salary).

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Locked