Request for distribution data of Vanguard REIT Index Fund

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
FactualFran

Request for distribution data of Vanguard REIT Index Fund

Post by FactualFran » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 pm

I would appreciate it if someone posted a reply with the per share amount of each of the five return of capital distributions made by the Vanguard REIT Index Fund Investor Shares (VGSIX) from June 2007 to June 2008.

pkcrafter

Re: Request for distribution data of Vanguard REIT Index Fund

Post by pkcrafter » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:22 pm

FactualFran wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 pm
I would appreciate it if someone posted a reply with the per share amount of each of the five return of capital distributions made by the Vanguard REIT Index Fund Investor Shares (VGSIX) from June 2007 to June 2008.
You will probably have to call Vanguard for this information.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

FactualFran

Post by FactualFran » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 pm

pkcrafter wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:22 pm
You will probably have to call Vanguard for this information.
Thanks, I may end up contacting Vanguard. I had hope that someone here had the five values and would be willing to share the data.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:25 pm

I don't know how accurate it is but Yahoo finance has dividend information in the historical data section. Look up the ticker symbol first, then click on historical data tab. You can change time period, show and frequency. Set show to dividends only.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VGSIX/h ... equency=1d
Wiki

FactualFran

Post by FactualFran » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 am

DSInvestor wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:25 pm
I don't know how accurate it is but Yahoo finance has dividend information in the historical data section. Look up the ticker symbol first, then click on historical data tab. You can change time period, show and frequency. Set show to dividends only.
The main shortcoming of the distribution data at Yahoo is that it is the total for the different types of distributions. I am interested in the return of capital distribution amounts, not the sum due to that type of distribution in addition to the other types, such as income distributions and capital gain distributions.

I had hoped that someone here had the data and was willing to post it. Someone who had a taxable account in the Vanguard REIT Index Fund Investor Shares during 2007 and 2008, and retained the year-end statement from Vanguard, should have the data. The statements for an account in the fund in an IRA would have the total for the different types of distributions, but not a breakdown by distribution type.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:53 am

The annual report's financial highlights shows the amount of return of capital, distributions from net investment income, realized capital gains etc per share for 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 years (ending Jan 31).
Wiki

FactualFran

Post by FactualFran » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:23 pm

DSInvestor wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:53 am
The annual report's financial highlights shows the amount of return of capital, distributions from net investment income, realized capital gains etc per share for 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 years (ending Jan 31).
The annual reports have the sum for the year, to fewer digits than used by Vanguard with the distributions. However, I want the return of capital per share of each distribution, from June 2007 to June 2008, to the number of digits used by Vanguard.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:17 pm

FactualFran wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:23 pm
However, I want the return of capital per share of each distribution, from June 2007 to June 2008, to the number of digits used by Vanguard.
My Quicken entries show the last Long Term Capital Gain distribution in December 2006 for Investor class. If there was a return of capital that showed up on the 1099 I probably would have ignored it at least as far as bothering to record it in Quicken. A short term cap gain would just be in the dividends not separated out.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

trueblueky

Post by trueblueky » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:17 pm
FactualFran wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:23 pm
However, I want the return of capital per share of each distribution, from June 2007 to June 2008, to the number of digits used by Vanguard.
My Quicken entries show the last Long Term Capital Gain distribution in December 2006 for Investor class. If there was a return of capital that showed up on the 1099 I probably would have ignored it at least as far as bothering to record it in Quicken. A short term cap gain would just be in the dividends not separated out.
Believe OP is looking for the number that would show up as Box 3, Non-dividend Distributions, on a 1099-DIV. That's the return of capital that reduces the basis of a REIT. Not an issue if the REIT is held in tax-deferred account.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:28 pm

trueblueky wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:46 pm
Believe OP is looking for the number that would show up as Box 3, Non-dividend Distributions, on a 1099-DIV. That's the return of capital that reduces the basis of a REIT. Not an issue if the REIT is held in tax-deferred account.
Wasn't sure. I can get ten year old Quicken data a lot easier than old 1099's. I tried to be clear so that I didn't lead Fran astray.

Come to think about it I did hold REITs in tax advantaged so I don't have anything to look for anyway. :oops:
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

FactualFran

Post by FactualFran » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:57 pm

trueblueky wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:46 pm
The OP is not looking for the number that would show up on Box 3 on a 1099-DIV. That number is a total of the dollar amount of non-dividend, also known as return of capital, distributions made during the year. What the OP wants is stated in the opening post: "per share amount of each of the five return of capital distributions made by the Vanguard REIT Index Fund Investor Shares (VGSIX) from June 2007 to June 2008".