Growth Funds

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
JC565

Growth Funds

Post by JC565 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:49 pm

I am wondering where to diversify. I currently have a few growth funds. VOOG, VONG, and TRBCX. This is all in my brokerage. In my IRA, I have 30% growth and the rest in dividend stocks and bonds. I do plan on investing a bit in some biotech funds, but Im wondering where you guys think I should go next. Im 32. should I just keep buying growth funds??

eye.surgeon

Re: Growth Funds

Post by eye.surgeon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

You need an overall investment strategy with an asset allocation that fits your age and risk tolerance. This can be done with as little as 1 fund, or more typically here 3 funds. Tilting towards growth funds should be done once that is established, if at all. It's certainly not a requirement for a boglehead investor, and the benefits of doing so are debated.
Last edited by eye.surgeon on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Why "growth" funds? All funds are meant to grow and there is no such thing as a "no-growth fund", so I am wondering why you chose them as opposed to a fund without "growth" in the name.?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:11 pm

At your age and financial situation, one wise course of action might be to do this:
Asking Portfolio Questions
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewt ... =1&t=6212

In this format.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
JC565

Post by JC565 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:39 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:07 pm
Why "growth" funds? All funds are meant to grow and there is no such thing as a "no-growth fund", so I am wondering why you chose them as opposed to a fund without "growth" in the name.?
some grow more than others. :D ...as for why i chose them.. because they have higher historical returns. VOOG beats VOO.

CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:08 pm

JC565, it looks like you have been a member here for a while but for whatever reason have not yet groked what this place is really about. I have read a few of your previous posts and I think maybe starting from square one might be a good idea. So, first I will give you a belated welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place to get a handle on your investing journey away from Edward Jones. Before you do anything else, here's what I would do if I were in your shoes:

1) Read this:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

2) Watch all of the videos here. There are ten of them but they are very short. It will take less than an hour:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Video:B ... philosophy

3) Post your financial situation and questions in the Investing - Help with Personal Investments section in the format outlined here (as Sandtrap suggested earlier):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212

Going through these steps will be instructive for you and you will probably come up with a set of questions completely different than what you are asking here in this thread.