Crowdfunding real estate TAXES

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
bi0hazard

Crowdfunding real estate TAXES

Post by bi0hazard » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:54 pm

All,

I'm thinking about commercial real estate investment through Realty Shares or Mogul. Can someone please share experience with out-of state taxes for individual and/or private reit investments? I use turbo tax.

Thank you.
B=-

White Coat Investor

Re: Crowdfunding real estate TAXES

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:21 pm

bi0hazard wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:54 pm
All,

I'm thinking about commercial real estate investment through Realty Shares or Mogul. Can someone please share experience with out-of state taxes for individual and/or private reit investments? I use turbo tax.

Thank you.
B=-
You generally do not have to file out of state taxes for debt deals but do for equity deals unless there is a composite return filed or better yet if the deal is in a tax free state. I definitely prefer equity deals in my state and in tax-free states. Similar issues with private real estate funds.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks for the response WCI!

What is composite return?

Is it a hassle (worth the trouble) to file out of state k1 in your experience?

Do you have experience with a private REIT through these platforms that owns multi-state properties?

b=-

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Please explain what "crowdfunding" has to do with any of this.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

GoofyOne

Post by GoofyOne » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:14 am

I believe this topic is concerning taxes on crowd funded real estate, not crowd funding the taxes due on real estate.

Mogul REIT is open to non-accredited investors and thus, is "crowdfunded" by the general populace.

https://www.realtymogul.com/resource-ce ... trust-reit