Historical Daily S&P 500 (or other index) prices

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
vineviz

Historical Daily S&P 500 (or other index) prices

Post by vineviz »

I'm looking for DAILY index values for the S&P 500 or, failing that, another large cap US stock index with data BEFORE 1950.

Anyone know where I can find this?
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Re: Historical Daily S&P 500 (or other index) prices

Post by jimb_fromATL »

vineviz wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:39 pm I'm looking for DAILY index values for the S&P 500 or, failing that, another large cap US stock index with data BEFORE 1950.

Anyone know where I can find this?
Haven't seen data for that early, but just in case you were not aware, Yahoo has downloadable .csv format data for spreadsheets with daily weekly, and monthly numbers for lots of funds.

The S&P 500 index pseudo-symbol is ^GSPC and goes back to 1950.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EGSPC ... ?p=%5EGSPC

The Dow index symbol is ^DJI and goes back to about 1985
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EDJI/history?p=^DJI

You'll need to click on the time period and "Max" then "Done" then "Apply" and wait for it to load before you click the symbol to "download".

Edited to add: Before you spend a LOT of time looking for older data, bear in mind that considering the turnover and average life span, very few of the companies in the S&P 500 now were there in the past anyway. And things have changed a lot in the way companies do business and pay dividends since the 50's and earlier.

Article:

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/ ... p-500.aspx

jimb
Last edited by jimb_fromATL on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

vineviz wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:39 pm I'm looking for DAILY index values for the S&P 500 or, failing that, another large cap US stock index with data BEFORE 1950.
Perhaps not what you're looking for, but one source of historical U.S. daily stock prices back to 1896 is the Dow Jones Industrial Average. The daily data is available for download from S&P-Dow Jones in an Excel spreadsheet here.

The daily index values run from May 1896 to July 2018. It's a huge file that takes a while to download, so be patient!
Topic Author
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

SimpleGift wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:29 pm
Perhaps not what you're looking for, but one source of historical U.S. daily stock prices back to 1896 is the Dow Jones Industrial Average. The daily data is available for download from S&P-Dow Jones in an Excel spreadsheet here.

The daily index values run from May 1896 to July 2018. It's a huge file that takes a while to download, so be patient!
Thanks, I think that'll be perfect.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch