Book recommendations on how to retire

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
ChinchillaWhiplash

Book recommendations on how to retire

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Is there a good read out there that explains the ins and outs of how to retire? Specifically, how do you utilize your retirement buckets to reduce tax implications. Want info on best approaches for using multiple types of retirement accounts like 401k, tIRA, HSA, Roth IRA, taxable account, etc. to avoid high taxes and RMDs. :beer

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"The Boglehead's Guide to Retirement Planning"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:05 pm

ChinchillaWhiplash wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:56 pm
Is there a good read out there that explains the ins and outs of how to retire? Specifically, how do you utilize your retirement buckets to reduce tax implications. Want info on best approaches for using multiple types of retirement accounts like 401k, tIRA, HSA, Roth IRA, taxable account, etc. to avoid high taxes and RMDs. :beer
ChinchillaWhiplash:

I recommend The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning written by 33 Boglehead experts who contributed their royalties to The National Constitution Center.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Sasquatch

Re: Book recommendations on how to retire

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:07 pm

I have enjoyed reading books by Mike Piper.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c ... A7566OAQLE

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Thanks for the references. Just ordered the Boglehead's guide. Will look at getting the Piper book next.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:39 pm

The 2 best books I have read are:
How to Make Your Money Last by Jane Quinn and
Control your Retirement Destiny by Dana Anspach

Quinn has a really good writing style and covers all the major topics for retirement.

Anspach is a practicing financial planner and it shows in her book and her advice. She does a really good job covering all the major topics and in more depth than Quinn. I particularly like her section on taxes.

Quinn is a little more high level and Anspach is more detailed. Both are very good.

There are plenty of good investment books, but IMO surprisingly few good retirement planning books.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:57 pm

ChinchillaWhiplash wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:56 pm
There are excellent books on retirement listed under "Retirement" in the wiki's "Book: Recommendations and Reviews," some of them already mentioned here such as the Jane Bryant Quinn book, which has a good section on buckets:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Books:_ ... nd_reviews
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:20 pm

Fallible wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:57 pm

There are excellent books on retirement listed under "Retirement" in the wiki's "Book: Recommendations and Reviews," some of them already mentioned here such as the Jane Bryant Quinn book, which has a good section on buckets:

Many of us don't care for the Bucket approach in retirement that Quinn espouses.

But different accounts going into retirement (tax deferred, Roth, and taxable) are a different story. There are good strategies depending on the relative size of those accounts. These are different from "buckets"...
Attempted new signature...

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:20 pm
Fallible wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:57 pm

Many of us don't care for the Bucket approach in retirement that Quinn espouses.

But different accounts going into retirement (tax deferred, Roth, and taxable) are a different story. There are good strategies depending on the relative size of those accounts. These are different from "buckets"...
Yes, I've seen forum posts objecting to the bucket approach. I don't use that approach myself, but mentioned it to the OP because he/she mentioned it and because I thought Quinn explained it well.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle