6 Portfolio To-Do's for Retirees at Midyear - Christine Benz

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Rowan Oak

6 Portfolio To-Do's for Retirees at Midyear - Christine Benz

Post by Rowan Oak » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:43 am

6 Portfolio To-Do's for Retirees at Midyear
Christine Benz
16 Jul 2018
Managing a portfolio in the years leading up to retirement doesn't require a lot of magic. If you save enough of your salary and invest those savings in even a semi-sane investment mix, you'll have a good shot at amassing enough for a comfortable retirement.

Shepherding a portfolio through retirement, by contrast, is inherently more complicated...
https://www.morningstar.com/articles/87 ... dyear.html
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger

nedsaid

Re: 6 Portfolio To-Do's for Retirees at Midyear - Christine Benz

Post by nedsaid » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:31 am

I know for me, I am thinking a lot about the transition from career to near retirement and eventually to retirement. The portfolio formula of saving as much as you can in tax deferred retirement accounts and putting the bulk of those monies in stocks is changing. Instead of accumulating, I am thinking about how to make my monies last the rest of my life. An entirely different equation.

This is a good checklist: check your spending rate, check your asset allocation, maintain sufficient cash reserves, look at Roth conversions, plan for required minimum distributions, and rethink your charitable giving strategy.

Good stuff to fifty and sixty somethings to be thinking about.
A fool and his money are good for business.