WSJ article on teaching children finance may save your retirement

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Freefun

WSJ article on teaching children finance may save your retirement

Post by Freefun » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:49 pm

The WSJ had an article on having a plan for children to learn money basics - which can save a retirement.

Don’t have children myself but I’ve seen related posts here so I thought this might be of interest.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-plan-for ... yURL_share
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

blackfish

Re: WSJ article on teaching children finance may save your retirement

Post by blackfish » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks for posting. I am 29 and while I have amazing parents, they're financial advise was essentially "spend less than you earn" and my takeaway from that was to put the rest in a savings account. Luckily my company did a good job coaching me of how to set up my 401k during onboarding. It wasn't until very recently that I started really focusing on financial planning and education (which eventually led me here.)

I am now passionate about eventually (my son is 2) being more transparent with him as to our finances than my parents were with me, and to try to impart some more detailed wisdom.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Not much info in the article. Mostly it says (paraphrasing) "Save for your own retirement instead of giving adult children money you cannot afford to give them."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Freefun wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:49 pm
The WSJ had an article on having a plan for children to learn money basics - which can save a retirement.

Don’t have children myself but I’ve seen related posts here so I thought this might be of interest.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-plan-for ... yURL_share
Yes, this topic is always of interest. Not only for those who have gone through it, but for those who are going through it as well as those who have yet to go through it. :beer

We are on the tipping point of having gone through the majority of it, and still finishing up going through the final bits of it.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright