Street Smart bonds

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
pgs59

Street Smart bonds

Post by pgs59 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:46 am

Anybody have any experience/thoughts/opinions about these bonds returning 5% with liquidity (according to the advertisement).

pokebowl

Re: Street Smart bonds

Post by pokebowl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:33 am

pgs59 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:46 am
Anybody have any experience/thoughts/opinions about these bonds returning 5% with liquidity (according to the advertisement).

You will have to provide more information OP to what exactly you are referencing. Are these "crypto blockchain" smart bonds you are referring to or some other bond variant?

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 am

"Notes are a non-deposit investment product. Not FDIC insured. No guarantee. May lose value. StreetShares authorizes bank accounts by using a third party vendor, Plaid."

They give precious little information about the fees or how the investment works. It looks like a P2P loan platform that takes advantage of patriotism to sell their products. There is a 1% fee for the first year, apparently liquid after that.

I tend to avoid these kinds of things if they seem too good to be true. It seems unlikely that anyone can guarantee a 5% return without significant risk. The P2P platforms have apparently been getting worse and worse for individual investors. No one is on your side when it comes time to collect, and defaults rates are pretty high.

They also seem to be setting up to send you a wealth of advertising and business offers.

Perhaps try the $25 minimum and see how it goes for a year?

https://www.merchantmaverick.com/review ... es-review/
Last edited by z3r0c00l on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:10 am, edited 7 times in total.

pgs59

Post by pgs59 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:53 am

Sorry, I meant to type Street Shares (streetshares.com). They provide small business financing with preferences to veterans. They are registered with the SEC. Loans are funded via accredited and institutional investors (according to what I've read on the web). They have a 2 page ad in Kiplinger's magazine. It does not appear to have any Bitcoin connections.

pgs59

Post by pgs59 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:09 am

I did email reply for "more information" and immediately received the salesman's (not surprising) offer to add up to $1000 to my deposit (depending on the amount of same). That was the compete clincher for me.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:38 am

I hear warning bells going off (in addition to my usual tinnitus).
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Theoretical

Post by Theoretical » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:49 am

pgs59 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:09 am
I did email reply for "more information" and immediately received the salesman's (not surprising) offer to add up to $1000 to my deposit (depending on the amount of same). That was the compete clincher for me.
Wait, that was the clincher to buy?! I get a brokerage throwing money at you to gain assets, but why would a fund do that? Moreover, doesn’t that mean that some of your money will be used to help induce the next guy/gal to invest?

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:19 pm

pgs59 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:53 am
Sorry, I meant to type Street Shares (streetshares.com). They provide small business financing with preferences to veterans. They are registered with the SEC. Loans are funded via accredited and institutional investors (according to what I've read on the web). They have a 2 page ad in Kiplinger's magazine. It does not appear to have any Bitcoin connections.
When I was researching which peer-to-peer notes (loans) to invest in years ago, I found that loans used for small businesses had the worst returns of any category by far, even lower than loans to pay for family vacations. In aggregate, such notes almost always yielded negative returns, not 5%.

Perhaps Street Shares is employing better selection criteria than Lending Club did. But it sounds a bit to good to be true. YMMV.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

pgs59

Post by pgs59 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:34 pm

NO NO NO!! Adding a "bonus" deposit means only one thing: Jumbo fees/commissions which can't do the consumer any good at all. Very suspect. They seem to be playing to the "help our Vets" emotions. I'm all for a helping hand to our vets (I'm one) but not under these circumstances.

Theoretical

Post by Theoretical » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Oh! I am so glad to hear that, and it’s a good example of where a salesman can trigger some sanity back into the discussion inadvertently.