Morningstar article [Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mr.BB

Morningstar article [Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio]

Post by Mr.BB »

Good article about the 3 fund portfolio.
https://www.morningstar.com/articles/87 ... folio.html
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
mickeyd

Re: Morningstar article

Post by mickeyd »

Thanks for the post Mr BB.

Great review for Taylor's newest book.
Thus, for his book's audience--meaning me, and presumably you--Taylor's asset allocation is sufficient. Let's put it this way: It is a terrific starting point for novice investors and a perfectly sensible ending point for the experienced.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Mel Lindauer

Re: Morningstar article [Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio]

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I like John's recommendation for Vanguard to turn the three-fund portfolio into a one-fund portfolio, holding Taylor's three funds in market cap weighting in a single fund. Talk about the ultimate in simplification.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

I like the article pointing out we can't invest like Yale. (LBO and investment capital) So, the three find portfolio is sufficient. Seems like a good point.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
WallStreetPhysician

Post by WallStreetPhysician »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:48 pm I like John's recommendation for Vanguard to turn the three-fund portfolio into a one-fund portfolio, holding Taylor's three funds in market cap weighting in a single fund. Talk about the ultimate in simplification.
Interesting idea, but what would be the stock/bond ratio for this one-fund portfolio? Aren't Vanguard's Target Retirement funds three-fund portfolios combined into one fund, with a nominal amount of money in international bonds?

-WSP
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:48 pm I like John's recommendation for Vanguard to turn the three-fund portfolio into a one-fund portfolio, holding Taylor's three funds in market cap weighting in a single fund. Talk about the ultimate in simplification.
Does anybody know what that would look like?
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

They already do (well, four funds): Vanguard LifeStrategy Conservative Growth Fund (VSCGX) replicates global market weights pretty darn closely IIRC.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

retiredjg wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:31 pm
I'm having a little difficulty visualizing it. Probably my fault.

International stocks would probably be set at 20%. But, a one fund approach might break down as different folks would probably like to vary their stock / bond ratio based on their individual circumstances, risk tolerances, etc. That would argue for a Life Strategy fund or a Target Date fund.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=207804&start=100#p3891874
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Independence Day and "The Three-Fund Portfolio"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Bogleheads:

Today is a special day for me:

The Fourth of July Independence Day and a Morningstar article featuring my latest book,

Thank you Mr. Rekenthaler!

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
jevidon

Post by jevidon »

WallStreetPhysician wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:30 pm
Interesting idea, but what would be the stock/bond ratio for this one-fund portfolio? Aren't Vanguard's Target Retirement funds three-fund portfolios combined into one fund, with a nominal amount of money in international bonds?

-WSP
That's how I understand the Target Date Funds as well. Additionally, most people will have slightly different risk tolerances depending on age and net worth - leaving a bit of configuration available is appealing.
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

There would still be objection(by some) to this fund in a taxable account.

invstar

Re: Independence Day and "The Three-Fund Portfolio"

Post by invstar »

:thumbsup

Congrats Taylor. It's a great review of your book. Thank you for sharing..
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

RadAudit wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:11 pm
I'm having a little difficulty visualizing it. Probably my fault.

International stocks would probably be set at 20%. But, a one fund approach might break down as different folks would probably like to vary their stock / bond ratio based on their individual circumstances, risk tolerances, etc. That would argue for a Life Strategy fund or a Target Date fund.
While not quite a three-fund cap weighted portfolio, either of those fund families would certainly do the job.
LXEX55

Post by LXEX55 »

Well done, sir. I am 63 years old, will retire this December, and do not have the head nor nervous system for investing. I will probably follow your advice and move my money to a Vanguard IRA as soon as I retire and allocate the way you suggest. May I ask, do you recommend I invest 100% of my IRA money in this manner? Any advice would appreciated. Again, congratulations on your book. I know this topic is near and dear to your heart.
HippoSir

Post by HippoSir »

I'm a relatively new poster, but have been reading for a long time and have moved to a 3 fund portfolio away from a (very expensive) financial adviser, largely based upon your recommendations. Your advice has literally changed my life!

I've recommended your book to a number of family members who have decided to move away from active management as well, and they've all found it simple, concise, and very helpful.
danielc

Post by danielc »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:23 pm Today is a special day for me:

The Fourth of July Independence Day and a Morningstar article featuring my latest book,
Happy American Day Taylor :-)

I bought your book. I'm reading it with my wife and we think it's a great book. Btw, I am immensely grateful that you, Mel, LadyGeek, and others have made the Bogleheads forum possible. We have also bought the most recent books from Bill Bernstein and Jack Bogle.

I am precisely the kind of person who would be prone to chasing investment fads. I like over-thinking everything and optimizing everything to the nth degree. Thanks to Dr. Bernstein, Mr. Bogle, you, and the Bogleheads, I have gradually learned the value of simplicity and my family's financial future is more secure as a result.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Thanks to Taylor and other Bogleheads for contributing to so many people's financial independence.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Taylor Larimore's thread into the on-going discussion (Mr.BB posted about the article first).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
danielc

Post by danielc »

Don't the target date and lifestyle funds serve that purpose better? People need to adjust their stock/bond allocation according to their needs and preferences.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

danielc wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:06 pm
Don't the target date and lifestyle funds serve that purpose better? People need to adjust their stock/bond allocation according to their needs and preferences.
Those funds offer a nicely-diversified portfolio in a single fund that rebalances automatically, and I'm a big fan of them.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"Wall Street Physician reviews The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio"

Bogleheads:

One of my favorite websites is The Wall Street Physician. This is a link to the latest article:

A REVIEW OF THE BOGLEHEADS GUIDE TO THE THREE-FUND PORTFOLIO

The Conclusion:
This book is perfect for the busy professional or novice investor who wants to get started with do-it-yourself investing using the three-fund portfolio. Experienced investors, or regular Bogleheads readers who are already well-versed in the benefits of index fund investing and the simplicity of the three-fund portfolio, will likely already be familiar with most of the content in this book. However, it may convince even experienced investors to simplify their more complicated index-fund portfolio to a three-fund portfolio.
Thank you Wall Street Physician
wootwoot

Re: "Wall Street Physician reviews The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio"

Post by wootwoot »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:36 pm Bogleheads:

One of my favorite websites is The Wall Street Physician. This is a link to the latest article:

A REVIEW OF THE BOGLEHEADS GUIDE TO THE THREE-FUND PORTFOLIO

The Conclusion:
This book is perfect for the busy professional or novice investor who wants to get started with do-it-yourself investing using the three-fund portfolio. Experienced investors, or regular Bogleheads readers who are already well-versed in the benefits of index fund investing and the simplicity of the three-fund portfolio, will likely already be familiar with most of the content in this book. However, it may convince even experienced investors to simplify their more complicated index-fund portfolio to a three-fund portfolio.
Thank you Wall Street Physician
Good info. From the review it sounds like anyone already reading this forum would have little to no benefit from the book.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Good info. From the review it sounds like anyone already reading this forum would have little to no benefit from the book.
wootwoot:

Factor investors may find it helpful. :happy

Best wishes.
Taylor
1210sda

Re: "Wall Street Physician reviews The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio"

Post by 1210sda »

wootwoot wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:58 pm Good info. From the review it sounds like anyone already reading this forum would have little to no benefit from the book.
Yep, nothing really new, just a re-affirmation.

I like it because the principles behind a three fund portfolio are all presented very concisely in one place.

What I've done is highlight, underline, and make margin notes and then give the book to my kids.

Thanks Taylor