Vanguard to offer non-Vanguard ETFs commission-free

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
SSSS

Re: Vanguard to offer non-Vanguard ETFs commission-free

Post by SSSS » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:14 pm

tooluser wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:21 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:59 pm
0% ER funds next, let's see if Vanguard can bring a date to that party.
A desired endgame for the investor. But I wonder where they would make up the difference. I worry less with Vanguard but it’s still a concern.
Advertisements in the prospectus.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:16 am

Curious to see where this goes. Nice move by vanguard.

jocdoc

Post by jocdoc » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:18 am

This is a good first step.
I want vanguard to offer periodic investing of any ETFs

My wish list is Automatic rebalancing and tax loss harvesting in taxable accounts for a much lower fee thanthe other roboadvisors or a tax managed lifestrategy fund for taxable accounts..
jc

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:54 am

stlutz wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:46 pm
In other words, Vanguard isn't making up the money lost from trades from the places where other brokers do. So it seems to me that they have to be subsidizing it from somewhere. I'm just not clear where.
I assume that they believe it will lead to increased AUM, by attracting new customers to Vanguard brokerage where they will be more likely to use at least some Vanguard funds or ETFs and/or by destroying the pay-to-play commission-free ETF platform model at other brokers leading to more folks holding Vanguard ETFs there.
SSSS wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:14 pm
tooluser wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:21 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:59 pm
0% ER funds next, let's see if Vanguard can bring a date to that party.
A desired endgame for the investor. But I wonder where they would make up the difference. I worry less with Vanguard but it’s still a concern.
Advertisements in the prospectus.
You put advertisements in things that people actually read! :P

talzara

Post by talzara » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:27 am

stlutz wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:46 pm
For the Robinhoods of the world who accept payment for order flow, there is. Vanguard doesn't accept such payments so they don't make any money executing the trade.

In other words, Vanguard isn't making up the money lost from trades from the places where other brokers do. So it seems to me that they have to be subsidizing it from somewhere. I'm just not clear where.
Investors still have to pay Vanguard a commission for non-ETF trades. The commissions on these trades should be enough to pay the costs of the entire brokerage operation.

Vanguard Brokerage Services should be able to execute its trades for free, since it routes 100% of its order flow to market-makers. They don't pay VBS anything, but VBS doesn't pay them anything either. Non-ETF trades should have a gross profit margin of 100%.

Robinhood can't do this since all trades are commission-free.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed but in the fine print it says:

“When buying or selling an ETF, you will pay or receive the current market price, which may be more or less than net asset value.”

Does this mean Vanguard will only accept market orders for non Vanguard commission free ETFs? If so this may not be all that it’s cracked up to be.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:26 pm

“When buying or selling an ETF, you will pay or receive the current market price, which may be more or less than net asset value.”

Does this mean Vanguard will only accept market orders for non Vanguard commission free ETFs? If so this may not be all that it’s cracked up to be.
I think that's just a legalistic way to say that ETFs do not always trade at NAV.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:26 pm

It simply means that the ETF marketplace (for anyone not just Vanguard) is NOT defined by pricing at NAV, instead it is priced at the prevailing bid ask/spread and accepted orders in an orderly marketplace. Most Vanguard ETF's sell at a small discount (10-25bps) to NAV on a regular basis, but the divergence can easily run as much as 1% in either direction in extreme situations (trading volume, market moves, etc.). Basically you are buying on the open market just as you would Proctor and Gamble with all the benefits and risks.

Personally, the need to have good execution skills for buying ETFs is one reason I prefer to not use them. I find having to make decisions like "buy today or tomorrow" hard enough, let alone this minute or that minute and at what what limit price. I gave up trading stocks 15 years ago and have no desire start again. That said, I still own one for a 10bps lower ER than the MF class. So, I suffer the pain willingly for 10bps, I guess the aversion is not that serious :?

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:44 pm

walletless wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:42 pm
It'll be interesting to see if DFA funds will be in this list, especially since they're not inverse funds.. but DFA wants to only sell their funds through an advisor. That would be a disruptor if allowed!
I keep hearing about advisors being necessary to buy DFA funds. I can buy DFA thru the PCRA in my 410(k) at Schwab with no advisor, just a $15 fee per trade, any amount.

Ralph

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 pm

ralph124cf wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:44 pm
walletless wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:42 pm
It'll be interesting to see if DFA funds will be in this list, especially since they're not inverse funds.. but DFA wants to only sell their funds through an advisor. That would be a disruptor if allowed!
I keep hearing about advisors being necessary to buy DFA funds. I can buy DFA thru the PCRA in my 410(k) at Schwab with no advisor, just a $15 fee per trade, any amount.

Ralph
They are available through some retirement plans as well, either as plan options or in your case through the brokerage window. Otherwise, they are only available through advisors. They are not sold directly to retail investors.

long_term_investor

Vanguard: The largest commission-free ETF lineup offered to investors

Post by long_term_investor » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:48 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I didn't see this shared before.

"Coming in August: The largest commission-free ETF lineup offered to investors" - https://investornews.vanguard/coming-in ... investors/
Our community of millions of investors think and feel differently about investing. We know it’s all about doing the right thing, giving you the best chance for investment success, and finding ways to lower your investing costs. That’s why, this August, the vast majority of ETFs (nearly 1,800) will be available to you commission-free—the largest lineup offered to investors.

You’ve been able to invest in Vanguard ETFs® (exchange-traded funds) commission-free through your Vanguard account for almost a decade. That’s because we know that the less you pay, the more you keep.
Related Kitces article - https://www.kitces.com/blog/vanguard-nt ... greements/

Nate79

Re: Vanguard: The largest commission-free ETF lineup offered to investors

Post by Nate79 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:00 am

Extensively discussed:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=252991

long_term_investor

Re: Vanguard: The largest commission-free ETF lineup offered to investors

Post by long_term_investor » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:17 am

Thanks for the pointer Nate!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:24 pm

^^^ I merged long_term_investor's thread into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

MinhN

Post by MinhN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Vanguard just made tax loss harvesting a lot easier. I've been meaning to TLH my international bond fund but Vanguard doesn't have an alternative. Now I can swap BNDX for something similar by another company for free. What an incredible move by Vanguard.

pyld76

Post by pyld76 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am

Angst wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:11 am

I'd just tack on the overall lack of quality in Vanguard's IT. The margins left for cutting expenses vs. the competition have shrunk immensely, and there's not a lot of significant room left to move. But I believe strongly that over the last 5-10 yrs there has been a slowly opening window of opportunity for another low-cost index-focused competitor with a much higher quality user interface (think not just brokerage, but website reports & accounts information presentation in general), to take this thing Bogle started to a higher level. I've seen little to suggest that Vanguard is concerned about it though.

In order for someone else to jump into this space at a similar cost to VG is going to be nigh on impossible because the new entrant won't have anywhere near the scale that VG enjoys. VG isn't concerned with it because until you get to a couple of trillion bucks in AUM, your costs of running either the funds themselves or the underlying trading activities is going to be significantly higher.

Plus, VG isn't directly out to make money. Fidelity and Schwab don't offer the ERs they do out of the goodness of their hearts on index products. Or (likely) even to cover their costs. They do it because they have to stop leakage to VG. Do some of the other brokerages pick up some business because VG's IT is atrocious? Sure, because you can get a similarly priced product, but the "similarly priced" bit is only because VG exists. And yes, that trend would stop, if not reverse, if VG disappeared tomorrow.

I loathe VG's IT, because it's bailing wire and duct tape in many ways. I'm still not going to pay hundreds or thousands of bucks a year in extra fees for a better smartphone UI. VG seems to have decided that they aren't going to chase that (chasing a better UI) customer, and while I do wish they'd bring their IT out of the go-go 90s, I'm not certain they care too much about customers interested in "chrome" rather than cost. And I'm not sure this is a competitive disadvantage for them.

On the ETF changes? They just made their existing customer base really happy for TLH and getting asset classes that VG doesn't do or do well and anyone who decides they want an ETF portfolio has zero cost reasons to go elsewhere. That's a big deal.

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 am

We should send online messages to/chat with all of our other brokerages with a link to the Vanguard commission-free announcement asking whether they'll match Vanguard or otherwise make their commission-free ETF options better. I'm hoping at the very least TD Ameritrade will bring back good ETFs due to this increased competition.

Angst

Post by Angst » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 am

pyld76 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am
Angst wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:11 am

I'd just tack on the overall lack of quality in Vanguard's IT. The margins left for cutting expenses vs. the competition have shrunk immensely, and there's not a lot of significant room left to move. But I believe strongly that over the last 5-10 yrs there has been a slowly opening window of opportunity for another low-cost index-focused competitor with a much higher quality user interface (think not just brokerage, but website reports & accounts information presentation in general), to take this thing Bogle started to a higher level. I've seen little to suggest that Vanguard is concerned about it though.
In order for someone else to jump into this space at a similar cost to VG is going to be nigh on impossible because the new entrant won't have anywhere near the scale that VG enjoys. VG isn't concerned with it because until you get to a couple of trillion bucks in AUM, your costs of running either the funds themselves or the underlying trading activities is going to be significantly higher.

Plus, VG isn't directly out to make money. Fidelity and Schwab don't offer the ERs they do out of the goodness of their hearts on index products. Or (likely) even to cover their costs. They do it because they have to stop leakage to VG. Do some of the other brokerages pick up some business because VG's IT is atrocious? Sure, because you can get a similarly priced product, but the "similarly priced" bit is only because VG exists. And yes, that trend would stop, if not reverse, if VG disappeared tomorrow.

I loathe VG's IT, because it's bailing wire and duct tape in many ways. I'm still not going to pay hundreds or thousands of bucks a year in extra fees for a better smartphone UI. VG seems to have decided that they aren't going to chase that (chasing a better UI) customer, and while I do wish they'd bring their IT out of the go-go 90s, I'm not certain they care too much about customers interested in "chrome" rather than cost. And I'm not sure this is a competitive disadvantage for them.

On the ETF changes? They just made their existing customer base really happy for TLH and getting asset classes that VG doesn't do or do well and anyone who decides they want an ETF portfolio has zero cost reasons to go elsewhere. That's a big deal.
No future tense really required here, there are already major firms in this space with significant AUM and low ERs. When it gets down to single digit and even fractional differences in basis points (BP) of ER, companies can even still cost more than Vanguard and not lose market share. Much of the overall point of my post was that I think a lot of customers, including myself, would gladly pay a BP or two extra for much higher quality IT and service. You don't have to spend a lot of time in the forum to see how fungible many of these mutual funds and ETFs already are from the perspective of many Bogleheads.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:52 am

It would be an interesting analysis to see if this was good for investors. Perhaps there could be a way to track performance of changes that investors make.

The "paradox of choice" and previous research on three fund versus more complicated investment strategies makes me curious as this will actually result in financial and psychological benefit to investors?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:26 am

am wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:38 am
Are there any etfs that would be worthwhile to add or exchange for a vanguard 3 fund investor? Doesn’t seem like this will add much for the average boglehead?
Doesn't do anything for a Vanguard 3-fund investor.

It does help you if you tilt, because it improves your choice of ETFs for tilting.

I don't trade individual stocks, but I have bought non-Vanguard ETFs, specifically QQQ (Nasdaq 100 index) and MTUM (IShares Momentum Index). This move makes it more likely I'd conduct these trades in the Vanguard account. Buying ETFs is about the closest I'm going to get to speculation.

It doesn't change my costs -- I'm at brokerages that don't charge me for the ETFs I buy.

Holding a little QQQ or MTUM is a lot of fun. QQQ is a functional equivalent of holding all of the FAANG+M stocks. When I see the news items about how well those stocks are doing, I can tell myself I already own them.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Six minute video (or transcript too) from Vanguard about why they did this: https://investornews.vanguard/why-were- ... g-in-etfs/

What stood out to me:
But in this instance, the point is bolstered by research—both our own research and market research—which indicates that when investors are choosing a brokerage provider, they rank their ability to purchase ETFs at the lowest possible commission among their top priorities.

hdas

Vanguard frequent trading restrictions for new ETFs

Post by hdas » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Hi all,
Does anybody know what the frequent trading restrictions are going to be in Vanguard once they add the 1800+ ETF's next month?

Thanks a lot! :greedy

Ever Ready

Re: Vanguard frequent trading restrictions for new ETFs

Post by Ever Ready » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Hasn't been announced yet. Probably in August.

For Vanguard ETFs:
If you buy and sell the same Vanguard ETF in a Vanguard Brokerage Account more than 25 times in a 12-month period, you may be restricted from purchasing that Vanguard ETF through your Vanguard Brokerage Account for 60 days.

jhfenton

Re: Vanguard frequent trading restrictions for new ETFs

Post by jhfenton » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm

As Ever Ready said, that is an unanswered question.

I would guess that they either (1) mirror the restrictions for Vanguard ETFs or (2) have more restrictive rules.

That doesn't narrow down the range of possibilities much, I know.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:07 pm

I merged hdas's question into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:34 am

Fascinating shift then, and yes even though there is probably a Pareto/long tail distribution of ~80% of assets to a small number of ETFs, have a large menu of choices for $0 is appealing

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:54 am

JamesSFO wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:34 am
Fascinating shift then, and yes even though there is probably a Pareto/long tail distribution of ~80% of assets to a small number of ETFs, have a large menu of choices for $0 is appealing
The problem is the "large menu of choices" (at TD Ameritrade, for example) is merely a marketing gimmick since the vast majority of ETFs are options like this.

walletless

Post by walletless » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:38 pm

TIAX wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:54 am
JamesSFO wrote:
The problem is the "large menu of choices" (at TD Ameritrade, for example) is merely a marketing gimmick since the vast majority of ETFs are options like this.
C'mon now.. at 0.96% ER, this is a reallyy sweet deal! After all, I am not going to pay any trading commissions ;-)
</sarcasm>

Outafter20

Post by Outafter20 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 pm

TIAX wrote:
JamesSFO wrote:
With the exception of a handful of the 300+ commission free ETFs, most are garbage. The selection when they "only" had 100 commission free were 100x better.

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Outafter20 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 pm
TIAX wrote:
JamesSFO wrote:
With the exception of a handful of the 300+ commission free ETFs, most are garbage. The selection when they "only" had 100 commission free were 100x better.
Right. That's because the selections were previously made by Morningstar. Now, TD Ameritrade went to a pay to play model, offering junk to its clients. See this article.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:40 am

And it's August! Any guesses on exactly when "Coming in August" means?
Coming in August: The largest commission-free ETF lineup offered to investors
That’s why, this August, the vast majority of ETFs (nearly 1,800) will be available to you commission-free—the largest lineup offered to investors.
In August, you’ll have access to almost all ETFs—from Vanguard and more than a hundred other companies—commission-free when you invest online.
Watch for more details in August.
As of 8:39 AM this morning, the "Estimated transaction details" on a test ETF purchase still show a $2 commission.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:06 am

jhfenton wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:40 am
And it's August! Any guesses on exactly when "Coming in August" means?
Coming in August: The largest commission-free ETF lineup offered to investors
That’s why, this August, the vast majority of ETFs (nearly 1,800) will be available to you commission-free—the largest lineup offered to investors.
In August, you’ll have access to almost all ETFs—from Vanguard and more than a hundred other companies—commission-free when you invest online.
Watch for more details in August.
As of 8:39 AM this morning, the "Estimated transaction details" on a test ETF purchase still show a $2 commission.
The published commission schedules have not been updated as well. I would have thought Vanguard should have updated these already (they have a month to get thing ready). In my opinion, the roll-out is not properly executed.
My signature has been deleted.

dbc47

Post by dbc47 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 am

Coming in August, at least to me, means it can happen anywhere between the 1st and 31st.

kosomoto

1800+ ETFs commission free today

Post by kosomoto » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:28 am

[merged this post and its replies into the existing thread - moderator prudent]

Vanguard is supposed to have 1800+ commission free ETFs starting today, where do I find a list of them?

jhfenton

Re: 1800+ ETFs commission free today

Post by jhfenton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:32 am

They're not available yet. I brought that up earlier in the existing thread.

kosomoto

Post by kosomoto » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 am

This article from today says they are available today, weird.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/01/vanguar ... sting.html

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:36 am

dbc47 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 am
Coming in August, at least to me, means it can happen anywhere between the 1st and 31st.
Technically, yes. But when you issue a press release that just says "August" over and over, many people are going to expect August 1.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:39 am

kosomoto wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 am
This article from today says they are available today, weird.

That's interesting. I haven't actually executed a non-Vanguard ETF trade, but nothing on the brokerage platform indicates any proposed non-Vanguard ETF trades would be commission-free. They all show the usual $2 commission in the "Estimated transaction details".

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:06 am

They didn't say which August.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:04 am

FYI, here's a link to a new CNBC article on the subject that I just ran across:

This is a particularly interesting portion:
Trading in and out of funds can lead to lower performance
Research conducted on index funds by Morningstar director of global ETF research, Ben Johnson, supports this view. Johnson studied the gap between the returns a group of index funds generated (time-weighted returns) and the returns that investors, on average, experienced in those same funds once you account for their buying and selling (cash-flow weighted returns). The gap between the two (which is referred to as the behavior gap) is effectively a self-imposed penalty that investors suffer in their attempts to time the market. While Johnson studied traditional index funds, not ETFs, he expects that the ETF gap would be even wider.

Vanguard Group founder Bogle told CNBC earlier this year, "We have had more and more speculators using ETFs to participate in the market. ... They turn over with fury."

Mitch Goldberg, president of investment advisory firm ClientFirst Strategy, who often uses ETFs in client portfolios, said a major problem with expanding commission-free ETF trading lies with its motivation: to not give the client a reason to go to a competitor.

"The firms offering the commission-free trading market themselves like they're watching out for the retail investor, but I think they are appealing more to the gambler in them. There's a difference between driving trading costs down and driving the client to execute more trades. I think that can get lost on retail investors, unfortunately."
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:45 am

Whakamole wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:06 am
They didn't say which August.
:oops: Good point.

Daitokuji

Post by Daitokuji » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:06 pm

The CNBC article says it's starting today but I tried to sell some ishares bond ETFs that I transferred to Vanguard from one of the robo funds and it's showing the standard $7 fee.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:06 pm

Daitokuji wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:06 pm
The CNBC article says it's starting today but I tried to sell some ishares bond ETFs that I transferred to Vanguard from one of the robo funds and it's showing the standard $7 fee.
Here's that CNBC article

"More than 1,800 exchange-traded funds now can be traded without a commission by Vanguard brokerage customers..."
My signature has been deleted.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:17 pm

The system is still charging a commission. I had a limit order partially fill--just to add insult to injury--and the debit for the 100 shares that executed included my normal $2 commission.

I sent a very polite message asking for a credit for the $2 and asking when the system would be updated to reflect the August commission-free ETFs promised on their website.

For the curious, I was initiating a small position in FALN (iShares Fallen Angels USD Bond ETF). (Let's not turn this into a debate on high-yield bonds. :beer I've discussed my interest in fallen angels in other threads. I had just never pulled the trigger.)

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm

I don't understand why they wouldn't just give a specific date. In the end its just a minor quibble, but this is bad customer service.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:18 pm

Daitokuji wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:06 pm
At least now the CNBC article does NOT say that, it says starting in August.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:42 pm

I don't understand why they wouldn't just give a specific date. In the end its just a minor quibble, but this is bad customer service.
As anybody who works in a corporation knows, "August" means August 1 to product management and to technology is means August 31st--of next year. :D

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:13 pm

In related news, Fidelity has dramatically expanded their list of free iShares ETFs to 240.

https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060 ... e-ETFs.pdf

grok87

Post by grok87 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:11 pm

stlutz wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:13 pm
In related news, Fidelity has dramatically expanded their list of free iShares ETFs to 240.

https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060 ... e-ETFs.pdf
i'm guessing many of the fidelity etfs and some of the ishares ones are actively managed.
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.