Treasury Direct website down all day (7/1)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
CULater

Treasury Direct website down all day (7/1)

Post by CULater » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Have been trying to cash some I-Bonds all day on Treasury Direct. Site lets me go through the entire process and then at the last step it chokes and says "TD not available". Anybody else experiencing this problem? Would be nice if they let you know before wasting a bunch of time going through the entire process, yes?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Ice-9

Re: Treasury Direct website down all day (7/1)

Post by Ice-9 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:30 pm

So it's not just me!

:happy

I've been trying to change my number of reinvestments on a t-bill from 6 to 0 to cash it out when it matures, and I'm getting the same error. It said to try again later, so I suppose I'll try again tomorrow morning.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:33 pm

I accessed it about 0800 EDT with no problem.
Gill

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:04 pm

Definitely not all day. I was able to access my account at around 10am PT today :moneybag

OP, by “entire process” do you mean the login process? Or the sale process? From the thread title I assume you weren’t able to log in at all.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:23 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Definitely not all day. I was able to access my account at around 10am PT today :moneybag

OP, by “entire process” do you mean the login process? Or the sale process? From the thread title I assume you weren’t able to log in at all.
Could log in and go through all the steps of cashing I-bonds, click on last step to complete and the stupid thing just hangs and eventually displays message that "Treasury Direct is Unavailable". Tried 6 times this morning at 8 am CDT and 2 times again at 6 pm.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:26 pm

Same here. The site works fine except for redeeming a bond -- I've tried 3 times since this morning, most recently about an hour ago, and I get an error message after a timeout on the final redemption step.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:29 pm

mpsz wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:26 pm
Same here. The site works fine except for redeeming a bond -- I've tried 3 times since this morning, most recently about an hour ago, and I get an error message after a timeout on the final redemption step.
Exactly. I just tried again at 7:30 pm CDT and same result. Stupid lousy website.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:44 pm

CULater wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:23 pm
Could log in and go through all the steps of cashing I-bonds, click on last step to complete and the stupid thing just hangs and eventually displays message that "Treasury Direct is Unavailable". Tried 6 times this morning at 8 am CDT and 2 times again at 6 pm.
Ok, thanks for clarifying that the website wasn’t down completely, “just” a specific function that may not even be a feature of the website itself but rather some backend system (obviously doesn’t matter to the user).

Maybe the Treasury computers work bankers hours? ;)

John151

Post by John151 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 pm

At 8:52 pm Central Time, I entered my account number, my one-time passcode, and my password. TD then wanted me to verify my contact information. I did so. Then ten or fifteen seconds later, I got the “Treasury Direct is unavailable” message. I tried again ten minutes later with the same result.
Last edited by John151 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:04 pm

It's just that obtaining these funds is time-critical for me. So now instead of Tuesday (it takes 2 business days to receive a redemption) it will be Thursday assuming that the dumb website is working by tomorrow. Now I have to pull funds from somewhere else because of this incompetence.

runner26

Post by runner26 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Same for us. Account logon fine, view fine, hangs at final step to redeem the bond. Also hangs to read your messages.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:54 am

Still down this morning (7/2) due to "scheduled maintenance." They had all day yesterday for that. Now we're past the weekend. Makes me wonder if the government doesn't want you to get your money. As soon as possible, I'm getting everything out of TD. This level of incompetence is a deal-breaker for me.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:11 am

I never converted my paper I bonds to TD. Thankfully so....
Out of curiosity I looked for complaints on line. There are a bunch over the last several years. This one on Yelp explains the frustration of TD holders on trying to get their money https://www.yelp.com/biz/treasurydirect-parkersburg
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:25 am

I had planned to get everything out of TD soon anyway, because I'm concerned my heirs would never be able to handle the website to manage my bonds. I've been dealing with this thing for years and have more or less been able to wade through it, but wouldn't want to put my heirs in that position. This ugly little episode has lit the fire to get out sooner rather than later.

SocalLiving

Post by SocalLiving » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:28 am

I can't find the hours of the scheduled maintenance anywhere on the site. Has anyone seen the schedule?
Have been unable to even login to my account this morning.

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:41 am

I doubt this is scheduled maintenance. I almost wonder if problems started over the weekend and there was no one working or on call to fix anything until this morning.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:45 am

Was forced to take a large withdrawal from my Roth because TD is down. Has been down all day yesterday and now it is 10 am CDT and still down. I've never encountered anything like this.

tindel

Post by tindel » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:28 am

John151 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 pm
At 8:52 pm Central Time, I entered my account number, my one-time passcode, and my password. TD then wanted me to verify my contact information. I did so. Then ten or fifteen seconds later, I got the “Treasury Direct is unavailable” message. I tried again ten minutes later with the same result.
I had the same thing yesterday - today it's referring to 'scheduled maintenance'. I also don't think there's anything scheduled about it. I don't need my money ASAP - I was just checking the balance for end of month reasons. I wondered what would happen if I needed the money. Unfortunately CULater is in that position.

I just started buying I-bonds 6 months ago. I'm starting to rethink my investment here - although, I am only using it for my 6+ month emergency funds so I'm less time critical than CULater and a few day or week delay will likely never be an issue for me.

tindel

Post by tindel » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:47 am

I just signed on and was able to access my information. 0945, MDT

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:09 am

SeekingAPlan wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:41 am
I doubt this is scheduled maintenance. I almost wonder if problems started over the weekend and there was no one working or on call to fix anything until this morning.
Yeah, I would not put too much faith into “scheduled” vs “unscheduled” - these are often not used accurately. And an unexpected problem could require IT to quickly schedule an outage to replace a part. Pretty meaningless for the end user. For me personally something is scheduled if I was made aware of it ahead of time.

I personally have seen a lot more unexpected problems with Ally’s site than with TD. Chase as well. Banks seem to always have their outages on weekends when I have time to do my online banking. ;)

Anyway, anyone want to send an email to TD and ask what’s going on?

https://treasurydirect.gov/email.htm

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:28 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:09 am
SeekingAPlan wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:41 am
Yeah, I would not put too much faith into “scheduled” vs “unscheduled” - these are often not used accurately. And an unexpected problem could require IT to quickly schedule an outage to replace a part. Pretty meaningless for the end user. For me personally something is scheduled if I was made aware of it ahead of time.

I personally have seen a lot more unexpected problems with Ally’s site than with TD. Chase as well. Banks seem to always have their outages on weekends when I have time to do my online banking. ;)

Anyway, anyone want to send an email to TD and ask what’s going on?

https://treasurydirect.gov/email.htm
I can imagine a scenario like "Holy Schnikeys! There are huge flames coming from the server room - schedule some maintenance for right now!"

Personally, I've used the site for a few years. It's slightly annoying compared to some, but nothing I find particularly objectionable.
Semper Augustus

John151

Post by John151 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Today at noon Central Time I was able to login and see my bond values. I didn’t try to buy or sell anything.

zeugmite

Post by zeugmite » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Stuff goes down, bank websites go down too. Can't imagine a situation (especially for heirs) where paper is more convenient (or for that matter, more liquid) than electronic in transactions. Heck, most physical banks don't even open on weekends.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:30 pm

Just got me thinking about where my money is and how to get to it when I need it. I asked myself, what if they just decided to shut it down for some reason -- What the heck could you do? Anyway, I'm gonna pull my I-Bonds out. I was thinking of doing that anyway out of a desire to simplify things for my senile future self and those who follow me. I'd kinda hate to saddle them or me with the TD albatross.