Taylor's New Book: The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
WestUniversity

Re: Taylor's New Book: The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by WestUniversity » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:19 pm

That’s awesome! I’m ready to read it. Thx!

Always passive

Post by Always passive » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:35 pm

IT IS OUT in paper and electronically. Check Amazon

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:30 pm

oldzey wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:55 pm
Thank you for the update, Taylor!

I look forward to adding "The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio" to my bookshelf and/or Kindle next year!

Best,
oldzey
Purchased the Kindle version last week.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:22 am

The Bogleheads should leave reviews after reading the book. Currently there is only one review on Amazon, and it was not a great rating because the reviewer felt the book was too short. That is the beauty of the Three-Fund Portfolio- its simplicity!

gasdoc

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:02 pm

I have submitted it as a suggestion to my local library and will order a hardcopy from local neighborhood bookstore :beer

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Just got an email from Amazon:
We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on March 16, 2018 (Order# xxxxxxxxxx):

Larimore, Taylor "The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio: How a Simple Portfolio of Three Total Market Index Funds Outperforms Most Investors with Less Risk"

Estimated arrival date: June 29, 2018
Huzzah!!
:sharebeer
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:01 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:02 pm
I have submitted it as a suggestion to my local library and will order a hardcopy from local neighborhood bookstore :beer
I also suggested to our local library and they now have 7 copies "On Order". :happy
Last edited by Pranav on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Thank you Taylor! Looking forward to reading.

Just ordered via the forum link to my Kindle. Didn't even bother replacing the "www" in the URL with "smile" as I usually do, since royalties are already going to the John C. Bogle Center.

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:57 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:28 pm
Just got an email from Amazon:
We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on March 16, 2018 (Order# xxxxxxxxxx):

Larimore, Taylor "The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio: How a Simple Portfolio of Three Total Market Index Funds Outperforms Most Investors with Less Risk"

Estimated arrival date: June 29, 2018
Huzzah!!
I guess you are higher on Amazon's "good guy" list than I. My estimated arrival date is July 3 - July 9. And I placed my order before you. :confused
Bob

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:04 pm

It's all crazy and across the board. I placed my order on June 1, 2018 and my estimated delivery is between Jul 2 and July 9.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 pm

I just ordered, and estimated delivery is June 29. I’m Amazon prime. Are the slower deliveries not Amazon prime members?
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:21 pm

South Florida Bogleheads are fortunate to have Taylor in our South Florida Local Chapter. We would like to invite all Bogleheads to our next local chapter meeting on Sunday, July 1, 2018, honoring Taylor and his new book.

We plan for a nice book signing with Taylor and a discussion of the Three Fund Portfolio.

Don't panic if you haven't received your copy of the book before the meeting. We are delighted we received extra copies from the publisher for those at our meeting.

Taylor graciously provides sandwiches for everyone who comes - his Three Fund Portfolio does well :D

Please see our South Florida Local Chapter link for directions and updates on this meeting.
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Always passive wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:35 pm
IT IS OUT in paper and electronically. Check Amazon
Or, please, consider patronizing your local physical bookstore :beer

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Mine is supposed to arrive on June 29. I have Amazon Prime.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:59 pm

Just finished reading the Kindle version of the "Three Fund Portfolio," and it's a very compelling read that should be in the hands of every investor. Taylor lists 20 reasons the portfolio is the best for investors, plus he does an excellent job of outlining the reasons index funds will outperform an actively managed portfolio. The first review on Amazon says it's too short; having tried for ages to get my extended family, and especially the younger ones, to read about investing, "short" with simplicity is gold.

Warren Buffet says he rereads Graham's "Intelligent Investor" every year to keep himself sharp. I'd suggest the same for all Bogleheads on this book. It's going on my gift list. Just the "lessons learned" from Taylor's own investing experience makes this a great read. Plus, there are comments throughout from BH's who have benefited from implementing the portfolio.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:13 pm

My post on the 21st indicated I ordered the book on Amazon Prime and I just now received an email indicating it should be delivered on the 28th. Great service and looking forward to reading it. Thank you Taylor!
Tom D.

3of3

Post by 3of3 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:05 am

it is available on audible for pre-order now.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Business/The ... S6T7PBSXM4&

release date is 24jul2018.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Amazon Customer Reviews and The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:42 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Bogleheads:

In a few days, Amazon will begin mailing The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio. If you enjoy the book it is important that you post a "customer review" on the book's webpage because this is where many book buyers look at the Amazon "Stars" to decide which book they purchase.

I am donating all my royalties directly to The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy to help the Center support this forum and raise the level of financial literacy of all Americans so they can realize their goals and achieve financial freedom. Your favorable "customer review" will do the same.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Ron Scott

Re: Amazon Customer Reviews and The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by Ron Scott » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:10 pm

I’m halfway through the Kindle copy and it’s reaffirming. Well done indeed.

Nice job Taylor, you should be proud.
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.

Cop51

Re: Amazon Customer Reviews and The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by Cop51 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:25 pm

Can I purchase the hardcover from you directly or somewhere else so Amazon doesn’t take its cut?!!

chipaway

Post by chipaway » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Will there be a paperback edition?

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:20 pm

Cop51 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:25 pm
Can I purchase the hardcover from you directly or somewhere else so Amazon doesn’t take its cut?!!
Cop51:

I don't sell books. The current price on the the hardcover book is $24.95. The Amazon price is $18.54. You might check around (Barnes & Noble, etc.) but the Amazon price is probably near the low.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:23 pm

chipaway wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:14 pm
Will there be a paperback edition?
chipaway:

Our prior Boglehead books were also published by Wiley. As I recall, they introduced a paperback edition a year or two after the hardcover editions. Authors have no control over prices, marketing, etc..

Best wishes.
Taylor

Starchild

Post by Starchild » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:53 pm

You’re a good guy Taylor.

HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:37 pm

Starchild wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:53 pm
+1

I would love to meet you some day, Taylor. Thank you for all you do to help the rest of us invest wisely.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:07 pm

I merged Taylor Larimore's thread into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Nice message from Adrian

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Bogleheads:

I was delighted to receive this very nice, unsolicited e-mail from Adrian -- a prolific contributor on the old Morningstar Vanguard Diehard Forum:
You did a very good job on the book, writing a concise and cogent, easy to understand guide to portfolio and risk management. Your book may be the final word on portfolio management for 99% of investors. Sure there are other books which offer more complicated passive strategies. some which require paying advisers for the "secret sauce" management strategies they employ but they are not superior to the three fund portfolio, although they certainly have higher fees. And Jack Bogle's philosophy is based on the lowest fees possible, therefore the three fund portfolio truly represents his legacy.

Another thing which I like about your book is the easy to understand writing style without a lot of technical financial jargon, making it easy for average investors to read and implement. You then provide data and the reasoning which reinforces Jack Bogle's eternal "stay the course" advice. All that is left is for the investor reader to save money, invest it according to the book's advice and stay the course, in order to reach retirement goals. Great effort on your part and an enjoyable read. Thanks!
Thank you, Adrian.

Best wishes.
Taylor

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:45 pm

Thank you Taylor.
Thank you Mel.
Thanks you everyone who makes a contribution to this magnificent site.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Bogleheads -

I received a copy yesterday and can not wait to start reading. Thank you Taylor for your amazing contributions and sharing of wisdom over the years!

I am certainly a better investor for it and plan to share the knowledge I gained with others!

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Thanks Taylor. Great job! I just got my copy today and I am looking forward to reading it.

Dave

FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:36 am

Does the book discuss the proper allocation between the three funds for investors at various stages of life: new grads, midlife, retirement? Does it discuss a safe withdrawal rate in retirement? Does it go beyond the discussions available on this forum?
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain

CABob

Post by CABob » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:02 am

FBN2014 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:36 am
Does it go beyond the discussions available on this forum?
Not much can go beyond the discussions on this forum. :P
Bob

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:14 am

Heads up. Google play is much cheaper than Amazon. I haven't used Google Play myself, but wanted to point this out.

On Google Play, $9.99. See: The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio - Books on Google Play (eReader only)

Compare to $17.61 on Amazon: The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio: Kindle Store (Kindle)

FYI - From Google Play Help:
Books bought on Google Play won't work on Amazon Kindle devices.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

book lover

Post by book lover » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:02 am

Thank you Taylor for your ongoing contributions to my financial literacy.

Lyrrad

Post by Lyrrad » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:53 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:14 am
Heads up. Google play is much cheaper than Amazon. I haven't used Google Play myself, but wanted to point this out.
I also noticed it was cheaper on Google Play. I thought it was strange that the list price of the electronic edition differs:
Retailer, Sale Price (List Price)
Google Play $9.99 ($11.99)
Amazon $17.61 ($24.95)
Wiley $11.99 ($11.99)
Kobo $11.99 ($11.99)
Barnes and Noble $14.49 ($24.95)

Since the Publisher itself declared $11.99 as the list price, I'd expect price drops from Barnes and Noble and Amazon eBooks eventually. If someone used the "Would you like to tell us about a lower price?" link on the Amazon page with details, it's likely they'll fix it faster.

I purchased the Google Play book, and the book is fine. It seems to be compatible with all non-Kindle eReaders that support Adobe Digital Editions, though the steps are a bit complicated compared with purchasing on Kindle. With Android and iOS tablets, it is as simple as reading a Kindle book, though.

gobigorgohome

Post by gobigorgohome » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:58 pm

Google recently sent out a $5 off ebooks coupon to your gmail account. Could bring the cost down to $4.99 essentially.

TheQuietMan

Post by TheQuietMan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 am

First, I would like to thank Taylor for writing this book. It was a great read, and will enjoy a prominent place in my library as a reminder for what I need to continue to do going forward (I have my three fund set up at Vanguard). Sound, solid advice, that will serve me the rest of the way. The positive impact that Taylor's book, and this forum have on people's lives cannot be overstated. Taylor, thank you for your wisdom and guidance. I will be forever grateful.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:21 am

Lyrrad wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Retailer, Sale Price (List Price)
Google Play $9.99 ($11.99)
Amazon $17.61 ($24.95)
Wiley $11.99 ($11.99)
Kobo $11.99 ($11.99)
Barnes and Noble $14.49 ($24.95)
I picked it up on iBooks for $11.99 if anyone uses a Mac and iBooks. :beer

Kudos to Taylor for his work on the project! It was an excellent read. I really enjoyed all of the hyperlinks to the associated material as this will benefit those who are unfamiliar with Bogleheads.org and the material one sees linked here all the time. My plan is to have my spouse read it next!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:27 am

I read the book yesterday. Well worth the read even if none of it would be new to an experienced Boglehead. I'll be running a review of it on my blog in a few weeks.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:20 pm

My library just approved my purchase suggestion. :sharebeer

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:30 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:20 pm
TravelGeek:

Good News! Every purchase is an indirect donation to The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.

Best wishes.
Taylor

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:30 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:20 pm
TravelGeek:

Good News! Every purchase is an indirect donation to The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.

Best wishes.
Taylor
And I noticed that they ordered three copies :)

(I am still going to get my personal hardcopy for the "Classics" section of my bookshelf)

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:01 pm

gobigorgohome wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:58 pm
Google recently sent out a $5 off ebooks coupon to your gmail account. Could bring the cost down to $4.99 essentially.
Thanks. Done. Just donated more books to our library; do not need anymore clutter.

Also, thank you, Taylor.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"The Wisdom of Elders: Bogleheads' Three Fund Portfolio"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Bogleheads:

Steve Nelson, a CPA in the Seattle area, sent me this review of The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio:

The Wisdom of Elders: Bogleheads' Three Fund Portfolio

Thank you, Steve!

Best wishes.
Taylor

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Bogleheads:

I received this e-mail message from my co-author of The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing, Michael LeBoeuf. I am confident he will allow me to post it here:
Hi Taylor,

A copy of, “The Bogleheads’s Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio” arrived today. I can’t begin to tell you how happy I am to see you in print as a solo author. Thank you for the book and wonderful inscription. I look forward to reading it.

When I began reading the Vanguard Diehards Forum in the late ’90’s I knew that you could put together a great book simply from how clearly you wrote and how much you had learned over the years about investing.

I am delighted at the brevity of the book being being only 86 pages, including the index. Anyone who reads it will have a sound plan for lifetime investing. Simplicity is wonderful. Albert Einstein said, “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” As for verbosity, Abraham Lincoln, when speaking of a certain lawyer said, “That man can put the fewest thoughts in the most words better than anyone I have ever known.” I experienced a lot of that in academia.

Someone far wiser than I said, “When you teach, your words echo down the hall, but when you write, your words echo to generations yet unborn.” You are a three-time author with a solo book and leader of a online forum that has helped so many including myself. Congratulations! Your legacy is assured.

May the book make a fortune for the John. C. Bogle Foundation for Financial Literacy.

All best wishes,
Michael
Thank you, Michael

Taylor

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:29 pm

This past Sunday, our South Florida Bogleheads local chapter had a wonderful meeting honoring Taylor and the publication of his book on the Three-Fund Portfolio. We had a lively discussion about Taylor's portfolio. Always an incredible gentleman, decent and kind, Taylor met everyone with his friendly smile and graciously answered every question.

Jack Bogle created the index funds. Taylor created the Three-Fund Portfolio using them.

Now we have this marvelous little gem of a book on the Three-Fund Portfolio. A compelling and simple description of using Mr. Bogle's index funds, geared for everyone.

Taylor, our warmest thanks and appreciation :D

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Not sure if I'm giving away Taylor's store, but I love his analogy:

The casino industry and Wall Street have one thing in common: the winners are the houses, not the customers if you "play their games" instead of using low cost indexing funds. There are very few winners.

Well said.

This forum has saved me thousands of dollars each year, time and peace of mind which are priceless. :beer

Happy 4th!

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Starchild wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:53 pm
I see you are a Paul Stanley fan. I love Kiss!! Met Paul several times and he was always a great guy. My best guesstimate is since I was 17 I have seen Kiss probably about 50 times. I'm 54 now. My dream is to go on a Kiss cruise before they call it quits after the 2019 3 year world wide tour.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:58 pm

htdrag11 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:54 pm
The casino industry and Wall Street have one thing in common: the winners are the houses, not the customers if you "play their games" instead of using low cost indexing funds. There are very few winners.
Well said!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368

Re: "The Wisdom of Elders: Bogleheads' Three Fund Portfolio"

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:14 pm
Bogleheads:

Steve Nelson, a CPA in the Seattle area, sent me this review of The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio:

The Wisdom of Elders: Bogleheads' Three Fund Portfolio

Thank you, Steve!

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor -

A very nice blog post on your new book "The Bogleheads Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio" indeed.

Thank you again for writing the book!