New Fidelity Freedom Funds?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
pkcrafter

New Fidelity Freedom Funds?

Post by pkcrafter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:08 pm

Fidelity Investments, which has been cutting prices to compete with low-cost rivals such as Vanguard Group and Charles Schwab Corp., is trimming fees on the target-date index funds it sells to retirement plans and rolling out new offerings that combine active and passive strategies.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fidelity ... 25946.html

Special Report: Fidelity puts 6 million savers on risky path to retirement

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fund ... SKBN1GH1SI

I can't find any information at Fidelity on the new funds.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

baliktad

Re: New Fidelity Freedom Funds?

Post by baliktad » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:53 am

The SEC Filings show an effective date of Aug 30, 2018, which is presumably the launch date of these new funds labeled "Fidelity Freedom Blend 20## Fund." These "Blend" funds are evidently meant to occupy a middle ground between the existing (actively managed) Fidelity Freedom funds and their Vanguard-compete Fidelity Freedom Index funds:
Investing primarily in a combination of Fidelity® domestic equity funds, international equity funds, bond funds, and short-term funds (underlying Fidelity® funds), some of which are actively managed and others of which are passively managed, meaning they seek to provide investment results that correspond to the total return of a specific index.
Examining the expense ratios by fund family should tell you everything you need to know:

Fidelity Freedom Funds: 0.47% to 0.75%
Fidelity Freedom Blend Funds: 0.46% to 0.54%
Fidelity Freedom Index Funds: 0.15% (evidently soon to be reduced to 0.14%

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:19 am

Fidelity does not make it easy to find the Freedom Index Funds. Under their Asset Allocation Tab - The Index version does not show up. Fidelity Target

It never has shown up. When you do a search on the Fidelity site, they do show up. I check them from time to time, since I like the Fidelity glide path. However, I am staying with Vanguard for now.

If you go to Schwab, they show both the active and index target retirement funds: Schwab Target
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:22 pm

baliktad wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:53 am
The SEC Filings show an effective date of Aug 30, 2018, which is presumably the launch date of these new funds labeled "Fidelity Freedom Blend 20## Fund." These "Blend" funds are evidently meant to occupy a middle ground between the existing (actively managed) Fidelity Freedom funds and their Vanguard-compete Fidelity Freedom Index funds:
Investing primarily in a combination of Fidelity® domestic equity funds, international equity funds, bond funds, and short-term funds (underlying Fidelity® funds), some of which are actively managed and others of which are passively managed, meaning they seek to provide investment results that correspond to the total return of a specific index.
Examining the expense ratios by fund family should tell you everything you need to know:

Fidelity Freedom Funds: 0.47% to 0.75%
Fidelity Freedom Blend Funds: 0.46% to 0.54%
Fidelity Freedom Index Funds: 0.15% (evidently soon to be reduced to 0.14%
Thanks for the additional information. It doesn't make much sense to leave the ERs where they were if they are trying to get more investors interested.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:26 pm

davidkw wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:19 am
Fidelity does not make it easy to find the Freedom Index Funds. Under their Asset Allocation Tab - The Index version does not show up. Fidelity Target

It never has shown up.
Very true, and annoying! :annoyed

Paul

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:06 pm

davidkw wrote:Fidelity does not make it easy to find the Freedom Index Funds. Under their Asset Allocation Tab - The Index version does not show up. Fidelity Target
You have to know how to work the system: Fidelity "Allocation" Funds.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Duckie wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:06 pm
davidkw wrote:Fidelity does not make it easy to find the Freedom Index Funds. Under their Asset Allocation Tab - The Index version does not show up. Fidelity Target
You have to know how to work the system: Fidelity "Allocation" Funds.
Thanks Duckie, but if you don't know this, search won't pull it anything helpful. :happy

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:39 pm

davidkw wrote:

It never has shown up. When you do a search on the Fidelity site, they do show up. I check them from time to time, since I like the Fidelity glide path. However, I am staying with Vanguard for now.

If you go to Schwab, they show both the active and index target retirement funds: Schwab Target
I never noticed this before. Thanks for pointing this out.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:30 pm

davidkw wrote:

I checked on Fidelity and the target date funds above are institutional not retail. Can anyone say if the Schwab target date fund at ER 0.08% is available to retail investors?
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 pm

radiowave wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:30 pm
davidkw wrote:

I checked on Fidelity and the target date funds above are institutional not retail. Can anyone say if the Schwab target date fund at ER 0.08% is available to retail investors?
You didn't look too hard. If you select the "Asset Allocation" tab, scroll to the bottom and select the "Research all Fidelity asset allocation funds". You will find that there are both Institutional Premium Class funds at 0.08% and Investor Class funds at 0.14%.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:33 pm

You didn't look too hard. If you select the "Asset Allocation" tab, scroll to the bottom and select the "Research all Fidelity asset allocation funds". You will find that there are both Institutional Premium Class funds at 0.08% and Investor Class funds at 0.14%.
I think you misread my post, I saw the Fidelity note for the institutional index fund. I was asking about the Schwab Target Date Index fund. I actually went on line to their chat room and they confirmed the 0.08% ER for their target date is for all clients
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

capjak

Post by capjak » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Of course I just told my 25 year old teacher daughter to put her 403b in Fidelity Freedom Fund 2055.....ugh....expense looks horrible