Vanguard - You'll need to sign up for security codes soon

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
munemaker

Re: Vaguard - You'll need to sign up for security codes soon

Post by munemaker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 pm

jalbert wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 pm

The bigger problem is using your wife’s login name and password to login to her account.
What's the problem? I have been doing this for decades and it has worked fine.

I am authorized on her account, but I like to have separate views, so one view on my account, a different one on hers.

ruralavalon

Re: Vanguard - You'll need to sign up for security codes soon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 pm

I too would prefer emails.

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:57 pm
My DH just got the email. The sign-up deadline is September 26.

As noted earlier, there is no option for email. You gotta be kidding. :annoyed

My contact phone number does not have text messaging (old landline) and I may not be near the phone when logging in. No, I'm not giving them another phone number.
It's apparently not just a text message system. On first use they called and gave me a recorded message with the security code when I answered on the landline. A second time they left a voice recording with the security code on my flip phone when I didn't answer the flip phone.

This does not solve the problem if you are not near a phone when logging in. You can give a cell phone as a secondary contact number.

You can elect to use the security code system system only if they do not recognise the computer you are using to log in.

We have an old landline, and I have an old flip phone but never use text messaging or even look at text messages. I elected to have the security codes only if they didn't recognise the desk top or tablets we use, and gave them my cell phone number as a backup. This has worked well so far.

I just now logged in via the Vanguard app to test that too, and that worked fine as well.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:47 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:20 pm
3-20Characters wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:17 pm
— Cell phone not with you? That’s a convenience problem, not a security problem.
What about old people who don't have a cellphone. Then its more than mere inconvenience.
If you have a Vanguard account and a computer, maybe it is time to consider a cell phone. This is the 21st century, after all.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:49 pm

munemaker wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:47 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
3-20Characters wrote:
— Cell phone not with you? That’s a convenience problem, not a security problem.
What about old people who don't have a cellphone. Then its more than mere inconvenience.
If you have a Vanguard account and a computer, maybe it is time to consider a cell phone. This is the 21st century, after all.
I have a cell phone and have found a way to make the security code system work for me, but lots of people my age (73) do not have cell phones.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:53 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:01 pm
In another thread, someone reported that Vanguard let him opt out of security code sending and an IT person had to be involved.

Maybe it is possible to not accept the marching order for security code.
Asked my rep and he said no dice.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:02 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:49 pm
munemaker wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:47 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
3-20Characters wrote:
I have a cell phone and have found a way to make the security code system work for me, but lots of people my age (73) do not have cell phones.
I think there’s a landline option (voice).

I honestly think people are making too much of this. If this was the biggest problem I was facing today, I’d be having a great day. In the time it’s taken to populate this thread, I’d have gotten a google voice number and be receiving codes by email as I write this. If you’re logging in, you have a computer so a google voice number is free and easy. Problem solved!

Not meaning any snark or lack of empathy but why do you want to fight this battle? Some people are thinking of moving accounts over it? Others would rather forego 2FA altogether instead??? I suppose if your account was hacked you’d take responsibility? Come on, people.

spectec

Post by spectec » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:32 pm

KlingKlang wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:54 pm
I just received an email from Vanguard Flagship Services addressed to my wife with the message "You'll soon be required to sign up for security codes".

My wife won't touch a computer or a smartphone. I use my email address for both of our accounts. Will I get in trouble with Vanguard for using my phone number for her security codes?
This thread got pretty long, and maybe the issue has already been addressed. My wife and I have Unlimited Durable Power of Attorney for one another. I assume that means either of us can act for the other without anyone else's permission or interference. She didn't even go to the closing when we sold our house, so I wouldn't think either of us accessing the other's online account would be a problem.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:08 pm

^^^ Check the paperwork, as I'm very sure you'll find a signed form that says "I assign authority to (husband) to act on my behalf". That's a limited POA for the closing. (I'm not a lawyer, but this is done all the time.) Or, perhaps a copy of the Durable POA was used for the closing.

You should have the POA on record with Vanguard. Here's the forms: Vanguard - Forms and literature, you'll need Full Agent Authorization for both.

I have this for my Mom, who does not have a computer. When I login, I see her holdings and can do everything I need. The POA also gives me permission to act on her behalf when I speak with a Vanguard rep.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:54 am

3-20Characters wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:02 pm

I honestly think people are making too much of this. If this was the biggest problem I was facing today, I’d be having a great day. In the time it’s taken to populate this thread, I’d have gotten a google voice number and be receiving codes by email as I write this. If you’re logging in, you have a computer so a google voice number is free and easy. Problem solved!

Not meaning any snark or lack of empathy but why do you want to fight this battle? Some people are thinking of moving accounts over it? Others would rather forego 2FA altogether instead??? I suppose if your account was hacked you’d take responsibility? Come on, people.
Google voice may not work because Google may lock you out when you are out of the good ole USA.

When I was out of the country about a year ago, I could not access Google because it locked me out due to my foreign location. It is a lesson to be learned and not having another option to send the security code is just unacceptable in my opinion.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:20 am

HueyLD wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:54 am
3-20Characters wrote:

Google voice may not work because Google may lock you out when you are out of the good ole USA.

When I was out of the country about a year ago, I could not access Google because it locked me out due to my foreign location. It is a lesson to be learned and not having another option to send the security code is just unacceptable in my opinion.
Just set it up to email you any text codes received. If google won’t let you access gmail out of the country, forward to another email.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:13 am

You missed my point.

Vanguard's 2FA system is too primitive. Its competitors have much more flexible 2FA options for "all kinds" of people.

The main reason Vanguard still has my business is because of my admiration for Mr. Bogle. I would not have tolerated someone else in a similar situation.

damjam

Post by damjam » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:28 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:57 pm
My DH just got the email. The sign-up deadline is September 26.

As noted earlier, there is no option for email. You gotta be kidding. :annoyed

My contact phone number does not have text messaging (old landline) and I may not be near the phone when logging in. No, I'm not giving them another phone number.
You don't need a cell phone.
Just checked it two seconds ago. You can have the code sent to you via audio message to a land line.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 am

HueyLD wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:13 am
You missed my point.

Vanguard's 2FA system is too primitive. Its competitors have much more flexible 2FA options for "all kinds" of people.

The main reason Vanguard still has my business is because of my admiration for Mr. Bogle. I would not have tolerated someone else in a similar situation.
Respectfully, I did not. You said you were stuck when traveling overseas due to vanguard’s no 2FA via email. I offered a very simple workaround using google voice and any email account. You don’t like my solution. That’s fine, but it doesn’t mean I missed your point or that no workaround exists.

Now as to whether you should be “inconvenienced” because vanguard doesn’t offer a direct way to get 2FA codes via email, that is your right to protest and even move your money out. I think vanguard’s decision is grounded in understandable policy (in the aggregate), whether we agree with it or not. Their system, their rules. Your money, your rules.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:51 am

HueyLD wrote:
3-20Characters wrote:

That would be terrible, but doesn’t google voice send you an email ? How would they know you are overseas ?

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:52 am

Sure, 3-20, you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.
Last edited by HueyLD on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:55 am

Thesaints wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:51 am
HueyLD wrote:
3-20Characters wrote:

That would be terrible, but doesn’t google voice send you an email ? How would they know you are overseas ?
Yes, but I could not access gmail or g voice while my access point was in another country. Yes, they know where you are by the URL. Google knows almost everything about you.

Jordan4FI

Post by Jordan4FI » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am

If you are overseas, you can call Vanguard and opt out of this code stuff.. I just did last week. But, I can not change address online or edit banking info online, must call in to do those 2 things, but everything else is good to go, I just log in like before, username and password. If I ever get a stateside number again, I can call and set it up and use the code process.
Last edited by Jordan4FI on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:00 am

HueyLD wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:55 am

Yes, but I could not access gmail or g voice while my access point was in another country.
Is this true? I have accessed gmail from various other countries...Canada, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica. Never had a problem.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:05 am

munemaker wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:00 am
HueyLD wrote:

Yes, but I could not access gmail or g voice while my access point was in another country.
Is this true? I have accessed gmail from various other countries...Canada, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica. Never had a problem.
Yes, it is true. And I didn't do anything crazy or out of the ordinary.

I need to use one of my older email accounts next time. Thank goodness I could still communicate with my friends and family via means other than google.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:06 am

Jordan4FI wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am
If you are overseas, you can opt out of this code stuff.. I just did last week. But, I can not change address online or edit banking info online, must call in to do those 2 things, but everything else is good to go, I just log in like before, username and password. If I ever get a stateside number again, I can call and set it up and use the code process.
So, do you call Vanguard to take care of opting out?

Jordan4FI

Post by Jordan4FI » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:21 am

HueyLD wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:06 am
Jordan4FI wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am
If you are overseas, you can opt out of this code stuff.. I just did last week. But, I can not change address online or edit banking info online, must call in to do those 2 things, but everything else is good to go, I just log in like before, username and password. If I ever get a stateside number again, I can call and set it up and use the code process.
So, do you call Vanguard to take care of opting out?
Yes, sorry about that, will go edit

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:23 am

Who did you call ? My rep, by email, told me it is not possible to opt out.

Jordan4FI

Post by Jordan4FI » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:29 am

I called the Vanguard helpdesk, I said I do not have a state side # to use. She said ok, then unlocked my account access and told me if i needed to change address or edit banking info that I would need to call in to verify myself.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:42 am

HueyLD wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:05 am
munemaker wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:00 am
HueyLD wrote:

Yes, it is true. And I didn't do anything crazy or out of the ordinary.

I need to use one of my older email accounts next time. Thank goodness I could still communicate with my friends and family via means other than google.
In what country did gmail not work for you?

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:45 am

Costa Rica and Panama.

Again, I was staying in very nice resorts and could access the web just fine. But Google was the surprise offender.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:24 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:45 am
Costa Rica and Panama.

Again, I was staying in very nice resorts and could access the web just fine. But Google was the surprise offender.
Interesting. I stayed at a resort in Costa Rica last year and accessed my gmail daily with no problems. Wonder what's going on?

spectec

Post by spectec » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:40 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:08 pm
^^^ Check the paperwork, as I'm very sure you'll find a signed form that says "I assign authority to (husband) to act on my behalf". That's a limited POA for the closing. (I'm not a lawyer, but this is done all the time.) Or, perhaps a copy of the Durable POA was used for the closing.

You should have the POA on record with Vanguard. Here's the forms: Vanguard - Forms and literature, you'll need Full Agent Authorization for both.

I have this for my Mom, who does not have a computer. When I login, I see her holdings and can do everything I need. The POA also gives me permission to act on her behalf when I speak with a Vanguard rep.
Yes, our existing Durable POA is what we used. I just emailed a scan to the lawyer's paralegal a couple of days before the closing and then took a hard copy backup with me to the closing. There was no supplemental document to be signed - the existing POA was all that was needed. An experience like that sure highlights how powerful a Durable POA is.

I don't feel compelled to fill out Vanguard's Full Agent Authorization for simple online access, but I think I may do cross-FAA's for both of us just in case either of us should have a need to contact them directly on behalf of the other in the future. We never know what the future holds and none of us are getting any younger. Thanks for mentioning that form.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:09 am

spectec wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:40 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Yes, our existing Durable POA is what we used. I just emailed a scan to the lawyer's paralegal a couple of days before the closing and then took a hard copy backup with me to the closing. There was no supplemental document to be signed - the existing POA was all that was needed. An experience like that sure highlights how powerful a Durable POA is.

I don't feel compelled to fill out Vanguard's Full Agent Authorization for simple online access, but I think I may do cross-FAA's for both of us just in case either of us should have a need to contact them directly on behalf of the other in the future. We never know what the future holds and none of us are getting any younger. Thanks for mentioning that form.
I think that's a good idea. We have durable Powers Of Attorney using the Illinois statutory form, and also added Full Agent Authorizations using Vanguard's form. This was to ensure that we each could seamlessly act for the other if disability occurred.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 am

What about this “trusted individual” designation on the account ? Does it replace, maybe only in part, a PoA ?

bagle

Post by bagle » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:18 pm

If you have Google Voice (GV), can´t you just have Vanguard leave a voice mail recording of the security code that GV will record and make a transcript of? You could get both once GV sent you an email (or you were alerted on their Voice app).

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:04 pm

3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:20 am
Just set it up to email you any text codes received. If google won’t let you access gmail out of the country, forward to another email.
Hi 3-20C,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I am another one who is facing the imminent, so really need to understand this 2FA thing before VG phases me out. I think your method is within my ability so I am going to give a try.

Here is a rehash of how/what I understood: I sign on to Google Voice, obtain a quasi mobile number, and have it forward all messages to an email address. Must the email address be a gmail or it can be anything? Can I set up to forward to multiple email addresses in case one fails to work?

Thank You!

Ps, I am tech challenged as you probably can tell already.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:38 pm

^
I just looked at my google voice settings and it appears as though you can only forward messages to your gmail email that you signed up with. I didn’t thoroughly investigate it though and I signed up so many years ago, that I no longer remember the sign up process. Maybe they would allow another email as your primary?

Keep in mind however, that one poster here was locked out of his google account while out of the country. I’m not sure this is google’s standard policy and maybe you should not assume so ether. If in fact you’re worried about this and you use gmail as your primary email, you could let google voice forward messages to your gmail as usual and forward ALL your incoming gmail mail to another, non-gmail email address for a period of time. In fact, if you’re concerned that google won’t let you access your account, that makes more sense because you’d be locked out of all your email (gmail) and google voice would not be your only concern.

I have my doubts however, that any of this in a big issue. I have a gmail (secondary account) and fetch it directly from my Apple mail app. Would google know I’m out of the country? Would they care? If they did, I’d set up gmail to forward to my primary email (Apple iCloud account) instead.

William4u

Post by William4u » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Someone may have addressed this already: if I take care of my mother's vanguard account, can I get a separate username and password into her account, with my own SMS? That way, she gets an SMS on her phone, and I on mine, and there is no problem.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Faith20879 wrote:I sign on to Google Voice, obtain a quasi mobile number, and have it forward all messages to an email address. Must the email address be a gmail or it can be anything?
It must be gmail.
Can I set up to forward to multiple email addresses in case one fails to work?
I have a gmail account and have set it up to forward all new mail to two accounts at different providers. Unless the google voice message going to the gmail account has some coding to NOT allow further forwarding, your above method should work.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:21 pm

William4u wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:52 pm
Someone may have addressed this already: if I take care of my mother's vanguard account, can I get a separate username and password into her account, with my own SMS? That way, she gets an SMS on her phone, and I on mine, and there is no problem.
If you’re asking whether you can use the same 2FA phone number for two separate vanguard accounts/logins, the answer is yes. I do this. You can set up a secondary number for each account as well but it’s a back up, not redundant. In other words, you must chose which one of the numbers the code is sent to when you log in and it is only sent to that number. You may choose the back up number next time, etc.

William4u

Post by William4u » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:35 pm

3-20Characters wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:21 pm
William4u wrote:
If you’re asking whether you can use the same 2FA phone number for two separate vanguard accounts/logins, the answer is yes. I do this. You can set up a secondary number for each account as well but it’s a back up, not redundant. In other words, you must chose which one of the numbers the code is sent to when you log in and it is only sent to that number. You may choose the back up number next time, etc.
My post was probably not very clear. I was asking if two sets of usernames/passwords could access the exact same account online. I want my mom to get an SMS on her phone when she logs in, and I want to get a different SMS on my phone when I log into the same account (I do most of the stuff on her account, but I want her to be able to log in as well without having to use my phone to get the SMS).

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:10 pm

William4u wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:35 pm
3-20Characters wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:21 pm
William4u wrote:
My post was probably not very clear. I was asking if two sets of usernames/passwords could access the exact same account online. I want my mom to get an SMS on her phone when she logs in, and I want to get a different SMS on my phone when I log into the same account (I do most of the stuff on her account, but I want her to be able to log in as well without having to use my phone to get the SMS).
You can do this by becoming an agent on your mom's account. You will then see her accounts when you use your login (and you'll get the security text), and she'll see her accounts when she uses her login (and she'll get the security text).

Vanguard's fraud policy disallows you from using your mom's login.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:22 am

Many thanks to 3-20Characters and Duckie. Your replies are very helpful.

I don't currently have a gmail account. So my next task is to get one and start figuring out how to forward messages to other addresses. Hopefully it is not too too difficult.

Too bad, we are done with international travel this year. Can't wait to try it out.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:37 pm

Faith20879 wrote:I don't currently have a gmail account. So my next task is to get one and start figuring out how to forward messages to other addresses. Hopefully it is not too too difficult.
It's not difficult. Once you've created the Gmail account, when logged in you'll see a gear symbol in the upper right. Click it and go to "Settings". You're going to be setting a lot of preferences in this section. But for forwarding click on "Forwarding and POP/IMAP". Then type in the first forwarded email address. At that point you have the option to click "Add a forwarding address" to set up a second forwarded email address.

InMyDreams

Re: Vaguard - You'll need to sign up for security codes soon

Post by InMyDreams » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:50 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:07 pm

I use the "Remember my device" option.
So, is it remembering the device or the IP?

My nonagenarian parent would have difficulties handling a call with every login, and he's using a residential WiFi that has access for too many people.

ionball

Post by ionball » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 pm

InMyDreams wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:50 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:07 pm

I use the "Remember my device" option.
So, is it remembering the device or the IP?

My nonagenarian parent would have difficulties handling a call with every login, and he's using a residential WiFi that has access for too many people.
The device.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:14 am

Thanks KK for posting this.

We work in the oilpatch and live in Nigeria - the SMS will not work where we are quartered at.

We called VG and have opted out.

As others have said, VG has many clients with this issue and VG will let you opt out if you choose to do so.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:52 am

gamboolman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:14 am
We called VG and have opted out.

As others have said, VG has many clients with this issue and VG will let you opt out if you choose to do so.
I knew the 2FA is coming but didn't know it is coming so soon. Just tried to log in to do some transaction and was stopped at the "... must sign up for 2FA ..." screen. Called VG and the guy is dead persistent about "No phone, no login. Take your business somewhere else if you prefer."

How did folks get VG to opt out? I don't mind learning the Google Voice thing but I haven't got around to set it up yet and the time has run out. Sigh...

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:28 am

Personally, I applaud Vanguard’s effort to improve online security for its customers.

Their current security code sending mechanism is not the best, but I think Vanguard is currently working on improvements to the current domestic phone numbers only system.

In the meantime, a customer can call Vanguard to temporarily opt out of security code sending. Alternatively, you can buy a security key at a small cost that will allow you access to your account from anywhere.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:00 pm

I have agent authorization for DW and BIL. So all their accounts show up when I login using my regular Vanguard login.

I could use their logins I suppose, but that introduces uncertainly for a determination of WHO actually conducted business on their accounts.

Having agent authorization and always using your own login protects everyone, IMHO.

I wondered how Vanguard would handle login with 2FA when DW and/or BIL set up their 2FA for their logins to their accounts. It works fine, as BIL set up his 2FA this pass weekend, and it changed nothing for my agent authorization for his account. Just continuing to log in with my own credentials.

DWs 2FA change will have to wait for her to actually sign into her account. Might be some time. :oops:

As mentioned up-thread, the "recognized computer/device" option must indeed be using the device MAC address, not the IP address. My router was changed yesterday, and I didn't need to "reauthorize" my PC, after receiving a new IP address.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:31 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:28 am
In the meantime, a customer can call Vanguard to temporarily opt out of security code sending. ...
You are the second person (poster gamboolman above being the other) ever mentioned such maneuver. However the rep I talked with was adamant about "no such thing, not even temporarily". He won't even allow it just this time so I can log in to set to recognize my device.

Anyway, I gave my work # in order to finish what I needed to do today. I'll get on learning the Google Voice thing ASAP.

Thanks again!

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:08 pm

Faith20879 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:31 pm
HueyLD wrote:
In the meantime, a customer can call Vanguard to temporarily opt out of security code sending. ...
You are the second person (poster gamboolman above being the other) ever mentioned such maneuver. However the rep I talked with was adamant about "no such thing, not even temporarily". He won't even allow it just this time so I can log in to set to recognize my device.

Anyway, I gave my work # in order to finish what I needed to do today. I'll get on learning the Google Voice thing ASAP.

Thanks again!
Hi Faith,
This is from the TOS for security codes:

What if I don't want to receive any more messages?
For your security, texting STOP, CANCEL or any similar command from your mobile device will not end your enrollment in the Service. You can contact Vanguard and an associate can unsubscribe you from the Service. You may also return to the Security code section of the Account maintenance area or the My Profile section if you're accessing the Retirement Plans area of the site and choose to disable the Service. By enrolling in this Service, you agree that following any request to unsubscribe, you will receive one final text message from Vanguard confirming that you have been unsubscribed from the Service if your selected contact method at the time you unsubscribe is text message.

So, you can call your rep and read this to him. Sorry they are giving you such a hassle. If I were told by a rep to take my business elsewhere, I'd be sorely tempted to complain about that rep. Just saying!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:09 pm

From the TOS:
YOUR USE OF THIS SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, VANGUARD AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSORS, AND ANY THIRD-PARTY INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND VENDORS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ALL WARRANTIES REGARDING SECURITY, CURRENCY, CORRECTNESS, QUALITY, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, RELIABILITY, PERFORMANCE, TIMELINESS, OR CONTINUED AVAILABILITY, WITH RESPECT TO (I) THE SERVICE; (II) USE OF THE SERVICE; (III) ANY MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE SERVICE; AND (IV) THE RESULTS OF THE USE OF THE SERVICE. FURTHER, VANGUARD AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSORS, AND ANY THIRD-PARTY INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND VENDORS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO ANY DELAYS OR ERRORS IN THE TRANSMISSION OR DELIVERY OF ANY MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES AVAILABLE THROUGH THIS SITE OR THE SERVICE. EXCEPT AS PROVIDED BY LAW, NEITHER VANGUARD NOR ITS THIRD-PARTY INFORMATION PROVIDERS AND VENDORS HAS ANY RESPONSIBILITY TO MAINTAIN THE MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES OFFERED ON THE SITE OR THROUGH THE SERVICE OR TO SUPPLY CORRECTIONS, UPDATES, OR RELEASES FOR THE SAME. TO THE EXTENT ANY JURISDICTION DOES NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES, SOME OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY HAVE OTHER RIGHTS, WHICH VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION.
Gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling, doesn't it?
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:15 pm

For those who don't want security codes.....

I logged onto my account about an hour ago and was confronted with the 'sign up for security codes, or else!' page. My session timed out while reading the TOS. I logged in again and ... no signup page. Same old, same old page.

Could eschewing security codes be as simple as allowing the session to time out on the TOS page?

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:29 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Alternatively, you can buy a security key at a small cost that will allow you access to your account from anywhere.
Can you elaborate on this?