Morningstar's new posting rules

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Morningstar's new posting rules

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed May 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Bogleheads:

As a long-time poster on the Morningstar Vanguard forums (26,446 posts), I was surprised that I was unable to make a post to help answer a question. Accordingly, I wrote to Morningstar and this was their reply:
Thank you for writing to Morningstar.

We have recently made few important security changes to our new website. In order to reply to any post, one will have to first log into his account and then reply to the post. This is due to avoid any spam replies on the post.

I hope the above information helps. As of now, I’ll be closing this case as resolved, however, if you have any further queries or experience any difficulties please do let me know about the same and I’ll be glad to re-open the case and assist you further with it.
In my opinion, this may be the beginning of the end for the Morningstar forums.

What do you think?

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Silk McCue

Re: Morningstar's new posting rumors nvm

Post by Silk McCue » Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 pm

We have to login to post here and that doesn’t seem to be a problem. I still see some spam from time to time but at least they are slowed down by having to setup a login. I don’t think it would be good if just anyone could post without being accountable at some level.

Cheers

The Wizard

Re: Morningstar's new posting rules

Post by The Wizard » Wed May 23, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm pretty much always logged into Mstar, so I don't see the problem...
Attempted new signature...

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed May 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Do you have to log in every time you want to make a post, or only if you haven’t logged in for awhile?

I don’t post at Morningstar any more but I occasionally have to log in to this site as I get logged out somehow. This happens maybe once every week or two.

Chant

Post by Chant » Wed May 23, 2018 9:13 pm

One of my many frustrations with the Morningstar website beside technological incompetence (sorry to be so frank) are the ‘comment ads’ after retirement articles placed by a website that contains ‘Retirement Living’ in it’s title. That particular website posts ads that pose as comments on many websites. I’m glad they are addressing that....very annoying to me.

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 pm

All engines stop.

In the way I read Mister Taylor's post is that you have to log in each time you try to reply to a post, even if you were already logged in. If that's the case then adios M* (note, my last post at M* was number 14,000 early last year, I no longer go to the forums).

Gracias por leer / cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed May 23, 2018 9:42 pm

cfs wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 pm
All engines stop.

In the way I read Mister Taylor's post is that you have to log in each time you try to reply to a post, even if you were already logged in. If that's the case then adios M* (note, my last post at M* was number 14,000 early last year, I no longer go to the forums).

Gracias por leer / cfs
That may be how you read Taylor's post, but it isn't at all how I read M*'s message to him.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Wed May 23, 2018 10:30 pm

I'm sure the Morningstar forum appreciates Taylor's posts as much as we do here. I have not posted there since I joined this forum. Unfortunately, Bogleheads are subjected to my meanderings!

DMW

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 pm

I thought we all left Morningstar a decade ago. Are some of you still going over there?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed May 23, 2018 10:38 pm

"People no longer go there, it is too crowded." Thank you Mister Berra y gracias por leer / cfs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:07 pm
Bogleheads:

As a long-time poster on the Morningstar Vanguard forums (26,446 posts), I was surprised that I was unable to make a post to help answer a question. Accordingly, I wrote to Morningstar and this was their reply:
Thank you for writing to Morningstar.

We have recently made few important security changes to our new website. In order to reply to any post, one will have to first log into his account and then reply to the post. This is due to avoid any spam replies on the post.

I hope the above information helps. As of now, I’ll be closing this case as resolved, however, if you have any further queries or experience any difficulties please do let me know about the same and I’ll be glad to re-open the case and assist you further with it.
In my opinion, this may be the beginning of the end for the Morningstar forums.

What do you think?

Best wishes.
Taylor
I have thought for a while now that the two forums may be close to ending. There appears to be a decline in responses based on the dates. At what point would Morningstar pull the plug?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed May 23, 2018 11:20 pm

There are about 30 forums in M* including Vanguard and Bogleheads. There is activity in "some" of the forums, plus readers drop by to check articles, portfolio x-ray, quotes, use the charts. Good luck with or without M* y gracias por leer / cfs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:59 pm

cfs wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:20 pm
There are about 30 forums in M* including Vanguard and Bogleheads. There is activity in "some" of the forums, plus readers drop by to check articles, portfolio x-ray, quotes, use the charts. Good luck with or without M* y gracias por leer / cfs
I was not aware there are that many forums.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

dkturner

Post by dkturner » Thu May 24, 2018 3:03 pm

cfs wrote:
All engines stop.

Gracias por leer / cfs
That may be what Taylor meant, but the M* website doesn’t work that way. I use M* to keep track of my portfolio and am always signed in (except when my computer bumps me off). I went to M* a few minutes ago, saw that I was already signed in, then answered a random posting on the discussion boards. It worked without any hassle.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu May 24, 2018 3:12 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:59 pm
cfs wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:20 pm
I was not aware there are that many forums.
Here is a link to the Discussion Forum list:

https://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSo ... fault.aspx

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu May 24, 2018 3:16 pm

dkturner wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:03 pm
cfs wrote:
All engines stop.

Gracias por leer / cfs
That may be what Taylor meant, but the M* website doesn’t work that way. I use M* to keep track of my portfolio and am always signed in (except when my computer bumps me off). I went to M* a few minutes ago, saw that I was already signed in, then answered a random posting on the discussion boards. It worked without any hassle.
I seem to remain "logged in" through new openings of the Morningstar website, and then on to Discussions/Forum topics.
Likewise, even after full computer shut-downs, I don't have to "log in" again.

I just click where I want to post/reply/quote, and the window to type opens.
No apparent change from in the past.

I'm guessing what was meant is that if you never had an account with M* or if you have one but had logged out, you'd need to create on or log back in, before posting.
I'm not sure that is different from other sites, including Bogleheads.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu May 24, 2018 3:17 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:59 pm
. . . I was not aware there are that many forums . . .
Yes, Mister AB, but the activity is concentrated in a couple of forums.
dkturner wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:03 pm
. . . I went to M* a few minutes ago, saw that I was already signed in, then answered a random posting on the discussion boards. It worked without any hassle . . .
Thank you Mister DKT for the update.

Gracias por leer ~cfs~