Vanguard mobile check deposit

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
bondsr4me

Vanguard mobile check deposit

Post by bondsr4me » Wed May 23, 2018 2:27 pm

I know others have recently commented on this, but I wanted to bring it out in the open separate from other threads.

I contacted VG today (at 1:12 pm eastern time) to find out if mobile check deposit for brokerage accounts on the iPad/iPhone was available.

VG emailed a response (3:03 pm eastern time) and told me at this time it was not available and they hoped to have it soon (no date).

Although I am disappointed (but not surprised) by the answer, I am pleased with the time frame of the response; not bad.

Anyway, no mobile check deposit for brokerage accounts yet; at least that's what they told me.

Have a great day,

Don

pragmatist

Re: Vanguard mobile check deposit

Post by pragmatist » Wed May 23, 2018 7:14 pm

They recently changed the language on their mobile check FAQ page to indicate that the mobile deposit function IS working for brokerage accounts (previously it said no - but we hope to offer this soon). I wonder if they jumped the gun on the update and will release this feature soon.

pragmatist

Post by pragmatist » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:43 am

This feature is finally working for brokerage accounts as of the September 10th update. They have not yet updated their website to reflect the change. I am using android but I assume it works on iPhones as well.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Cool! Thanks for the information. I just logged on with my I Phone and was given the option to mobile deposit into my brokerage account.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:20 am

Is Vanguard mobile check deposit working for everyone? I wanted to try it out but when I touch on the mobile check deposit option, it says to contact Vanguard.
My signature has been deleted.

yohac

Post by yohac » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:27 am

indexfundfan wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:20 am
Is Vanguard mobile check deposit working for everyone? I wanted to try it out but when I touch on the mobile check deposit option, it says to contact Vanguard.
Same here. The option is there, but for me it has never actually worked.

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:17 am

It works for me on an Android phone - wasn't working for the past few years

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:50 am

indexfundfan wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:20 am
It works for me on android. You might try deleting the app and then reinstalling it to make sure you have the latest version.

I do have problems using it. It opens, I start the deposit, taking a picture of the front of the check, then frequently my phone will close in the middle of the shot. I then have to sign into Vanguard again, with 2FV, and start over. Never happens with the BOA mobile deposit function so I believe its a Vanguard app problem.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:48 pm

For me, mobile check for brokerage accounts is still not enabled for the Vanguard app on iOS. I updated to the latest version (9.7) released 18 hours ago, and it still throws the same "Alert" contact us message that it has since I opened our accounts in 2015.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Here's a link to the Vanguard Q&As for mobile check deposit, note there's no date on the page so who knows its currency.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/help/F ... ent.jsp#2a

Here's the key Q&A for me
"Can I use mobile check investment to add money to my brokerage account settlement fund?
Not if you have a Vanguard Brokerage Account that holds Vanguard mutual funds, including your settlement fund, but we expect to offer that service soon. If your settlement fund isn't in your Vanguard Brokerage Account, you can still invest checks using mobile check investment."

I've used it in my LLC account which has only the Federal MM settlement fund, no other mutual funds. It works for that account.

For my personal account which has the Federal MM settlement account and also does hold mutual funds, it does not work and I get the same message referred to above.

Both accounts are brokerage accounts.

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:47 pm

FYI - I have both etf and mutual funds in the brokerage account and mobile check deposit works. The settlement account is whatever the Vanguard default is since I don't think they give you choices (in contrast to Fidelity).