Newton MA library program - Zvi Bodie on Managing Your Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
bobcat2

Newton MA library program - Zvi Bodie on Managing Your Portfolio

Post by bobcat2 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:10 am

Something to check out if you are a Boglehead in the Boston area.

Free program at Newton MA Free Library on Tuesday May 29 @ 6:30 PM.

YOU AND YOUR FINANCIAL FUTURE: DIVERSIFICATION AND MANAGING YOUR PORTFOLIO
Panelists discuss a variety of money-related topics. In this session: David Griswold, president and founder, Vantage Point Financial and Senior Lecturer in the Department of Finance and Economics at BU Questrom School of Management will contextualize the program as a moderator and panelist; Dr. Zvi Bodie will discuss steps one can take to reduce risk and achieve your financial goals; and Aaron Stevens will discuss how to make smart financial choices to achieve retirement and other goals.
Link to library programs page - http://newton.wickedlocal.com/news/2018 ... s-programs

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

bobcat2

Re: Newton MA library program - Zvi Bodie on Managing Your Portfolio

Post by bobcat2 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:12 am

One of the panelists on the program is Aaron Stevens, who is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Finance at Boston University. Aaron is the lead author of the textbook, Life-Cycle Economics and Personal Finance, and has taught a course in personal finance at Boston University for several years.

Link to book - https://www.amazon.com/Life-Cycle-Econo ... dpSrc=srch

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Wed May 23, 2018 8:25 am

If any Bogleheads go, perhaps they could post a summary here.

moshe

Post by moshe » Wed May 23, 2018 8:38 am

Thank you.

I will plan on attending. Any other bogleheads interested in sitting together and perhaps for a coffee after please PM.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Wed May 23, 2018 11:23 am

That sounds great. Too bad I don't live anywhere nearby. I've enjoyed reading Zvi's books.

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:37 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:25 am
In addition, if any of the panelists use slides in their presentation, a Boglehead should ask if he could email the slides so that the slide deck can be posted at Bogleheads. It's been my experience that presenters are usually more than happy to share their slides. :)

BobK

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:15 am

Bodie's presentation tomorrow at this event deals with reducing risk to achieve your financial goals. It will probably be similar in content to an interview he gave with Shaun Wurzbach of S&P Dow Jones earlier this month.

Link to interview - https://assettvus.getmediamanager.com/v ... 88768b4714

BobK

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 28, 2018 10:21 am

bobcat2 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:37 pm
dodecahedron wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:25 am
In addition, if any of the panelists use slides in their presentation, a Boglehead should ask if he could email the slides so that the slide deck can be posted at Bogleheads. It's been my experience that presenters are usually more than happy to share their slides. :)

BobK
We don't post anything in the forum or wiki. Instead, ask if he could post the slides to his website: Zvi Bodie and we can link to it from here.

Alternatively, he could email the file to a member who can then upload the file to Google Drive and share the link.

========
BTW, Zvi Bodie is a Boglehead forum member. zbodie, but he hasn't visited here since 2012.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:54 am

bobcat2 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:37 pm
If any of the panelists use slides in their presentation, a Boglehead should ask if he could email the slides so that the slide deck can be posted at Bogleheads. It's been my experience that presenters are usually more than happy to share their slides. :)
BobK
LadyGeek wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:21 am
We don't post anything in the forum or wiki. Instead, ask if he could post the slides to his website: Zvi Bodie and we can link to it from here. Alternatively, he could email the file to a member who can then upload the file to Google Drive and share the link.
Hi LadyGeek,
Emailing to a Boglehead and then sharing the link was what I had in mind in my earlier post.

Best,
BobK

DR

Post by DR » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:03 am

bobcat2 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:15 am
Bodie's presentation tomorrow at this event deals with reducing risk to achieve your financial goals. It will probably be similar in content to an interview he gave with Shaun Wurzbach of S&P Dow Jones earlier this month.

Link to interview - https://assettvus.getmediamanager.com/v ... 88768b4714

BobK
This was a very good interview. I find Bodie to be such a likeable person. His common sense and folksy manner is appealing. I basically use the approach he describes, though I don't use TIPS or the safety first approach. Access to these TIPS funds is not so easy. I just build my model with very conservative assumptions and expectations and use AGG instead of tips, which is not nearly so strong a hedge.