Vanguard Surveys

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Vanguard Surveys

Post by fortyofforty »

Anyone else get Vanguard's surveys asking about our views of the future? I tried to give these some thought and answering them until I realized I simply have no clue. I have no idea what the future returns of stocks will be, for example, or what interest rates will look like, and can't even presume to make an educated guess. I will leave the surveys to those who can provide a mathematical backbone to their projections. Anyone fill them out? What parameters do you use when doing so?
Grasshopper

Re: Vanguard Surveys

Post by Grasshopper »

35 year Vanguard client, 15 year Flagship, I have never been asked to do a survey for them. :beer
cfs

Post by cfs »

I receive those surveys sometimes while online on the Vanguard website and sometimes via email, I just ignore them and move on. I have nothing to say to Vanguard or any other financial institution, plus, I don't click on any links attached to emails regardless of where the email comes from. I am a member of The Active Retired Force and time is gold. Good luck with your surveys, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

I don't do the surveys any more. Vanguard states that it uses the data to better gauge the financial forecasts of shareholders. I did one or two, but how should I know where interest rates will be in a year or two? Vanguard can add grasshopper to its list, perhaps. :happy
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

I received a couple requests recently but have not gotten to it. I've received a number of requests over the years as I recall, one which they paid me $25 to do but that one took about 30 minutes.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I responded to a recent Vanguard survey. I thought it was nice that I was able to tell them how to improve their web site in specific ways.

One survey question was something like, "Can we call you to discuss this further? Yes/No." So this is YOUR chance to suggest improvements for everybody. Folks who don't answer the survey should not whine here on the forum.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

livesoft wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:25 pm I responded to a recent Vanguard survey. I thought it was nice that I was able to tell them how to improve their web site in specific ways.

One survey question was something like, "Can we call you to discuss this further? Yes/No." So this is YOUR chance to suggest improvements for everybody. Folks who don't answer the survey should not whine here on the forum.
I never got one of those surveys. The surveys I was getting concerned my views on future interest rate moves, the future returns of the stock market, and things like that. You know, the things that fall into the category of "Nobody knows nothin'"? That's why I don't fill them out any more. I hope I get a survey like you got, about improving their website and such.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

fortyofforty wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:33 pm
livesoft wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:25 pm I responded to a recent Vanguard survey. I thought it was nice that I was able to tell them how to improve their web site in specific ways.

I never got one of those surveys. The surveys I was getting concerned my views on future interest rate moves, the future returns of the stock market, and things like that. You know, the things that fall into the category of "Nobody knows nothin'"? That's why I don't fill them out any more. I hope I get a survey like you got, about improving their website and such.
The survey did not ask me about improving the web site. It asked me about improving Vanguard (or perhaps a generic 'How can Vanguard do better for me?', so I told them how to improve the web site for starters.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

fortyofforty wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:35 pm Anyone else get Vanguard's surveys asking about our views of the future? I tried to give these some thought and answering them until I realized I simply have no clue. I have no idea what the future returns of stocks will be, for example, or what interest rates will look like, and can't even presume to make an educated guess. I will leave the surveys to those who can provide a mathematical backbone to their projections. Anyone fill them out? What parameters do you use when doing so?
fortyofforty:

I have been a Vanguard shareholder since 1986. I cannot recall ever receiving a Vanguard Survey.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

fortyofforty wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:35 pm Anyone else get Vanguard's surveys asking about our views of the future? I tried to give these some thought and answering them until I realized I simply have no clue. I have no idea what the future returns of stocks will be, for example, or what interest rates will look like, and can't even presume to make an educated guess. I will leave the surveys to those who can provide a mathematical backbone to their projections. Anyone fill them out? What parameters do you use when doing so?
I have never received a survey from Vanguard. Honestly, in this day and age, I would not click on a link for a survey in any email I may receive. Noe, if I logged into my accounts and had a survey on the website, that would be a different situation.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

I got a Vanguard survey a week and a half ago and was happy to fill it out. I promptly emailed it back.

Day before yesterday, I got a second email request to fill out Vanguard’s survey. When I opened it, a message said “Survey completed.”

So I called Vanguard and asked them, please don’t send more email requests to answer a survey I completed nine days ago.
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

I wonder what my "profile" has in it that led Vanguard to send me surveys in the first place. Also, after not responding to the last two or three surveys, I haven't gotten any more requests. Perhaps they got the hint.

There was no choice that said "Nobody knows nothin'", by the way; I would have chosen that one, in most cases.
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

livesoft wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:34 pm It asked me about improving Vanguard (or perhaps a generic 'How can Vanguard do better for me?', so I told them how to improve the web site for starters.

Did any of the improvements you suggested show up?
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Emilyjane wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 am Did any of the improvements you suggested show up?
The most recent survey was last week, so I am sure there was no chance to make my suggested improvements.

But in the past, some of my suggestions were implemented. I may not have been the only one to make the same suggestion nor the first one to make the suggestion. I'll give an example: Do you remember that to get a quote the web site asked one to select either Ticker, Number, or Name first before entering an actual fund ticker symbol, fund number, or fund name in order to get a quote? I suggested that the web site could easily figure out for itself whether someone entered a ticker symbol, fund number, or fund name, so that there was no need to go through the extra checkbox that was annoying and wasted time.
goingup

Post by goingup »

Filled my out 2 weeks ago. I had no suggestions for improvement. I'm well aware that some posters here have had issues, but I've had only very good service.
neurosphere

Emailed Vanguard Survey from "GfK". Possible spam or phishing?

Post by neurosphere »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I was emailed a survey today. I suspect it's not legitimate, but I'm not sure. Anyone else get one recently? Text is below.
You’re invited! We want your opinion.

Hello XXX,

Your feedback is important. Vanguard has commissioned GfK, an independent research firm, to conduct a short study regarding your recent online experience, including [some other personal info redacted].

Upon completion of the survey, we will send you a $50 Amazon gift card in appreciation of your time.

The survey will take up to 10 minutes.

To take the survey, click the link below.

[removed]

Please note your responses will be analyzed only in the aggregate. We appreciate your time and thoughtful feedback.

Should you have content or technical questions, please contact the GfK Support Team at xxx

Regards,

XXXX

Senior Manager, GfK Research Team
GfK
200 Liberty Street
4th Floor
New York, NY 10281

To view our privacy policy, please go to :[removed]
If you would like to be removed from the mailing list for this study, please , click here: Unsubscribe
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
sport

Re: Emailed Vanguard Survey from "GfK". Possible spam or phishing?

Post by sport »

It must be phishing. You know that Vanguard would never spend $50 to get your answer to a survey.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

sport wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:05 pm It must be spam. You know that Vanguard would never spend $50 to get your answer to a survey.
I thought the same thing. $50 is way too much! :D

Now, if they were offering me a Vanguard mug, I'd be tempted to take a chance. 8-)
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

How about giving Vanguard a call to clear the air?

A few years ago I received a similar survey request and received $50 Amazon gift card after finishing the survey.
carorun

Post by carorun »

GfK is a legitimate market research firm.

Now, whether this link is legitimate is not clear. However, unless the survey asks for account numbers or exact amounts, I'd be inclined to answer. We all know Vanguard's customer service could use some help as of late.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Call Vanguard. If they agree the link is legitimate, then feel free to do the survey. Otherwise, do NOT click on links that you aren't sure where they lead.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

If you call Vanguard, the rep who answers the phone will probably not have any idea what you are talking about.

I would call GfK directly to inquire about it. They could tell you who to talk to at Vanguard to confirm that it is legitimate.

Phone: (212) 240-5300

I do participate in consumer research on occasion. $50 for a ten minute online survey taken at home is a good offer. Sometimes participants get $10 or $20 or just a chance at a larger reward. The $50 might indicate that they are surveying people with particular characteristics, such as a certain amount invested at Vanguard or participation in a specific plan or a specific fund. They would probably have no problem getting enough totally random Vanguard customers to participate for $20.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

Regarding surveys from Vanguard's website on 12/26/17:

https://investornews.vanguard/heres-how ... -is-valid/

If you receive an email from "eonline.e-vanguard.com" that invites you to participate in a research study, you can confirm it's valid if it contains one of the following subject lines and meets all of the validation points below.

Subject lines
Vanguard requests your help.
Vanguard survey now available.
Reminder—Vanguard requests your participation.
Reminder—Vanguard survey now available.
Validation points
The email identifies you by the full name we have on file at Vanguard, not with a generic greeting.
The link to participate in the survey begins with https://research.ipsosinteractive.com/surveys, followed by a string of text.
There is a Vanguard contact (John Ameriks) listed with the phone number 610-669-5577 in case you have questions.
There are two additional “mailto” links on the page that can create an email to Vanguard or to Ipsos (the market research vendor) for technical help in completing the survey.
Mary
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Ok, I emailed Gfk. Survey is legit. It was asking my experiences with Vanguard compared to other firms I may have experience with, including the website, investor materials, fact/data about investments, the look and feel of the site and literature, ease of use, appearance and "professionalism". Etc. Took about 20 minutes, but would have taken longer if I had experience more firms.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Pajamas wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:55 pm If you call Vanguard, the rep who answers the phone will probably not have any idea what you are talking about.

I would call GfK directly to inquire about it. They could tell you who to talk to at Vanguard to confirm that it is legitimate.

Phone: (212) 240-5300
You need to be careful not to let them tell you what phone number to call... of course. I suppose you could say "I am about to call Vanguard customer service at 1 (800) 528-4999. What should I tell them in order to reach someone who can confirm that this survey request is really coming from Vanguard?"

I have to say that this is an increasing problem as companies outsource more and more stuff. But I always insist on getting a confirmation of legitimacy directly from the company they claim to be working on behalf of. Or, so far, I always have insisted on it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
sport

Post by sport »

The next question is how much (of our) money does Vanguard spend paying the survey company and handing out $50 gift cards?
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

sport wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:38 pm The next question is how much (of our) money does Vanguard spend paying the survey company and handing out $50 gift cards?
They have my permission to pay for feedback that may improve services to investors.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

sport wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:38 pm The next question is how much (of our) money does Vanguard spend paying the survey company and handing out $50 gift cards?
If you want better customer service, the company has to know what they are doing wrong, the consequences and the causes. surveys like this are (if properly conducted and analyzed) invaluable. Of course, the leadership can do what they want with the results including ignore it though.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

retiringwhen wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:01 pm
If you want better customer service, the company has to know what they are doing wrong, the consequences and the causes. surveys like this are (if properly conducted and analyzed) invaluable. Of course, the leadership can do what they want with the results including ignore it though.
Or Vanguard can just use the recorded calls of disatisfied customers to learn how to improve. That requires no outsourcing or giftcards because the feedback is already provided during the call.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

GfK is a German market research company that does SIGNIFICANT market research in the field of consumer financial services. As for $50, that is a decent sized reward but I have received as much as $300 for a one hour survey.

What many companies are doing these days are creating consumer panels of customers who are able to respond to a number of questions a month and who pay a pretty nice stipend each month. I think that I participate in about 15 groups although I am going to pare that down as some do not pay very well.

I will say that most of the companies are looking for specific characteristics and demographics. I know that the volume of such activities has declined by 30-40% since I moved from Chicagoland to Southern Arizona.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

Just say no. Hang up on all unsolicited calls and throw away all junk mail. By the time you are old and senile this repetitive reflex will be second nature. It is safer to be a skeptic for your entire life. You can collect a dozen $50 gift cards in as many years but fall for a scam once and you might never recover.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Typically surveys like these are a standard operating procedure for businesses today and are done on a random sampling basis. The info gathered is used to assess products and services and provide direction for future business decisions. Check with Vanguard if you are concerned.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
mikebee

Post by mikebee »

Did the survey.
Got a reward code from Ipsos.
Cashed it in with an Amazon purchase.
No problem.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

mikebee wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:03 pm Did the survey.
Got a reward code from Ipsos.
Cashed it in with an Amazon purchase.
No problem.
Interesting. I got no reward code. Just "verify your email" and we'll send you a gift card.
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

tennisplyr wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:07 am Typically surveys like these are a standard operating procedure for businesses today and are done on a random sampling basis. The info gathered is used to assess products and services and provide direction for future business decisions. Check with Vanguard if you are concerned.
I am not at all concerned. It was Vanguard. I am not naive and can discern a valid communication from Vanguard from a scam. I was merely wondering whether others here had received them. I also thought it slightly humorous that Vanguard would be interested in getting opinions regarding future economic measures, and the level of confidence in such opinions.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A few weeks ago, my better half was invited to be a Vanguard Steering Community Member.
Dear Mr. LadyGeek,

Would you like to help make decisions about Vanguard products and services? Now's your chance! As a member of our online market research group, the Vanguard Steering Community, you'll have the opportunity to share your feedback directly with Vanguard, as well as connect with and learn from other Vanguard investors.

How it works

Vanguard Steering Community moderators, through a trusted partner called Fuelcycle, will contact you once or twice a month to participate in surveys and other activities. Potential research topics we want to hear from you about include how you manage your finances, what you think about our webpage designs, and your initial reactions to new product ideas. All information you provide will be kept strictly confidential and used for research purposes only.

Based on your participation, you'll receive points toward e-gift rewards from major retailers like Amazon, Target, and Starbucks.

Get started now

If you'd like to join the Vanguard Steering Community, select the button below to complete a quick, confidential survey. Your answers will help ensure our community views reflect a balanced group of investors from all walks of life.

Respond by April 20 to join the Vanguard Steering Community!
The first thing I did was trace the email header info. Here's one from Microsoft: Message Header Analyzer

Receiving host: mta5.e-vanguard.com <-- this is not vanguard.com

Let's dig a little deeper. whois info for e-vanguard.com

Organization: ExactTarget
ISP: Salesforce.com
Registrar: MarkMonitor, Inc.

Registrant Name: Intellectual Property
Registrant Organization: The Vanguard Group, Inc.
Registrant Street: 100 Vanguard Blvd.,
Registrant City: Malvern
Registrant State/Province: PA
Registrant Postal Code: 19355
Registrant Country: US

Their "trusted partner" is this market research company: FuelCycle

He never clicked on the link, as he has no interest in this. The only thing being steered here is a promise of points to an elusive gift card. What do you get in exchange? An email survey twice a month with no end date in sight.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged neurosphere's thread into here. The combined thread is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (Vanguard surveys).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm A few weeks ago, my better half was invited to be a Vanguard Steering Community Member.
I received this as well, and I signed up after verifying the authenticity. There is a mix of general, but private survey questions and public questions where everyone in the community can see all the responses. They don't ask for any sensitive information.
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

The tipoff for me in the offer your husband received, LG, is the promise of some financial reward for participation in their survey. I've received such "offers" from other supposed sites (not Vanguard) and when I see the promise of receiving a gift card, report it as a phishing scam.
mikebee

Post by mikebee »

fortyofforty wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:06 pm
tennisplyr wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:07 am Typically surveys like these are a standard operating procedure for businesses today and are done on a random sampling basis. The info gathered is used to assess products and services and provide direction for future business decisions. Check with Vanguard if you are concerned.
I am not at all concerned. It was Vanguard. I am not naive and can discern a valid communication from Vanguard from a scam. I was merely wondering whether others here had received them. I also thought it slightly humorous that Vanguard would be interested in getting opinions regarding future economic measures, and the level of confidence in such opinions.
The survey I took had no questions about my opinions on economic policy. The thrust of the questions was about employment after retirement. Looks to me as though we may be talking about more than one survey.
mikebee

Post by mikebee »

I was never offered a gift card just a $10 credit at Amazon which I redeemed easily.
It's clear that there may be more than one survey involved. I was emailed in advance by Vanguard that a survey was coming. No doubt in my mind that it was genuine and my Amazon credit was redeemed as promised by Vanguard.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm A few weeks ago, my better half was invited to be a Vanguard Steering Community Member.
Dear Mr. LadyGeek,

Would you like to help make decisions about Vanguard products and services? Now's your chance! As a member of our online market research group, the Vanguard Steering Community, you'll have the opportunity to share your feedback directly with Vanguard, as well as connect with and learn from other Vanguard investors.

How it works

Vanguard Steering Community moderators, through a trusted partner called Fuelcycle, will contact you once or twice a month to participate in surveys and other activities. Potential research topics we want to hear from you about include how you manage your finances, what you think about our webpage designs, and your initial reactions to new product ideas. All information you provide will be kept strictly confidential and used for research purposes only.

Based on your participation, you'll receive points toward e-gift rewards from major retailers like Amazon, Target, and Starbucks.

Get started now

If you'd like to join the Vanguard Steering Community, select the button below to complete a quick, confidential survey. Your answers will help ensure our community views reflect a balanced group of investors from all walks of life.

Respond by April 20 to join the Vanguard Steering Community!
The first thing I did was trace the email header info. Here's one from Microsoft: Message Header Analyzer

Receiving host: mta5.e-vanguard.com <-- this is not vanguard.com

Let's dig a little deeper. whois info for e-vanguard.com

Organization: ExactTarget
ISP: Salesforce.com
Registrar: MarkMonitor, Inc.

Registrant Name: Intellectual Property
Registrant Organization: The Vanguard Group, Inc.
Registrant Street: 100 Vanguard Blvd.,
Registrant City: Malvern
Registrant State/Province: PA
Registrant Postal Code: 19355
Registrant Country: US

Their "trusted partner" is this market research company: FuelCycle

He never clicked on the link, as he has no interest in this. The only thing being steered here is a promise of points to an elusive gift card. What do you get in exchange? An email survey twice a month with no end date in sight.
Typically Vanguard would hire a third party professional provider to do the research, they are not staffed to do it themselves. They would then use the research for decision making....no phony baloney here...very common practice with global companies.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

fortyofforty wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:17 am The tipoff for me in the offer your husband received, LG, is the promise of some financial reward for participation in their survey. I've received such "offers" from other supposed sites (not Vanguard) and when I see the promise of receiving a gift card, report it as a phishing scam.
There is absolutely no question that the Vanguard Steering Community is legitimate. Whether it is worth whatever time one puts into it is another question. But it is not a phishing scam.

And on the contrary, I see very few legitimate survey offers from companies that I do business with that do not offer a gift card or an entry into a drawing for a gift card.

It is not hard to verify whether something is legitimate. Reporting everything as a phishing scam is counterproductive.
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

jhfenton wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 am
fortyofforty wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:17 am The tipoff for me in the offer your husband received, LG, is the promise of some financial reward for participation in their survey. I've received such "offers" from other supposed sites (not Vanguard) and when I see the promise of receiving a gift card, report it as a phishing scam.
There is absolutely no question that the Vanguard Steering Community is legitimate. Whether it is worth whatever time one puts into it is another question. But it is not a phishing scam.

And on the contrary, I see very few legitimate survey offers from companies that I do business with that do not offer a gift card or an entry into a drawing for a gift card.

It is not hard to verify whether something is legitimate. Reporting everything as a phishing scam is counterproductive.
Reporting everything as a phishing scam would be stupid. I would recommend only reporting phishing scams as phishing scams, which I do. Reporting nothing as phishing scams helps no one.
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Another request came today. Here is the body of the request, sent from vanguard@eonline.e-vanguard.com:
Vanguard would like your input

Dear [FortyofForty]:

As you may recall from a previous email, Vanguard is conducting a study to understand how investors are thinking about the future of the stock market, the economy and interest rates.

We are inviting you again to provide us with your thoughts by completing a short survey. This survey should take less than ten minutes to complete.

This survey is not a test of your knowledge. Rather, it asks only about your beliefs and expectations. Importantly, it does not ask for any personal financial information.

If you responded to this survey previously, thank you! We'd really appreciate your continued participation so we can see if your beliefs are changing. If you didn't have the opportunity to respond previously, now is your chance to help.

The results of the survey will be used for research purposes only. This survey is not sales-related in any way. Your responses will be reported in aggregate with other responses. We plan to publish the results in an article or research report on vanguard.com.

To participate in the survey, please click here.
Posted so those of you with questions as to the purpose of the survey can read Vanguard's own words.
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

Sounds like Vanguard does a lot of surveying! I just received a request that was strictly customer satisfaction oriented -- and no payoff of any kind offered.

The email said: "Vanguard would like your feedback. Vanguard is committed to providing you with exceptional service. For this reason, we are inviting you to participate in our brief annual client satisfaction survey.

Our clients' honest and candid feedback is a critical component to helping us continually enhance the service we provide. The survey should take less than ten minutes to complete.

The survey is in no way sales related, and the results will be used for internal research purposes only.

If you have any questions about this survey, please call 800-345-1344 and refer to this code: PNPSMED.

Thank you for your time and we look forward to receiving your feedback."

I don't have the time to complete surveys, and almost never respond to these queries.
Topic Author
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

I responded to the first one, before I discovered that all the questions revolved around an investor's views on where interest rates are headed, or what future stock market returns will be, and things like that. It's a bit silly from a company founded by a man who oft-repeated a story whose tenet is that "Nobody knows nothin'".

How do I know where interest rates will be in six months or a year? Why does my opinion as a small Vanguard investor matter to anyone, including Vanguard itself? It's still odd to ask such "opinions" when they count for so little, objectively. I might have more knowledge than the average person, but I truly have enough to know how little I know.
Levelhead101

Post by Levelhead101 »

I wonder if perhaps you are referring to the Steering Community surveys?

These are produced from time to time to find out how they might better serve the community off investors and also to improve their offerings and website pages. Points are built up and do not aspire and are redeemable for products at major retailers. But you will have no luck finding this site belonging to Vanguard and I cannot recall the website
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

fortyofforty wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 pm I responded to the first one, before I discovered that all the questions revolved around an investor's views on where interest rates are headed, or what future stock market returns will be, and things like that. It's a bit silly from a company founded by a man who oft-repeated a story whose tenet is that "Nobody knows nothin'".

How do I know where interest rates will be in six months or a year? Why does my opinion as a small Vanguard investor matter to anyone, including Vanguard itself? It's still odd to ask such "opinions" when they count for so little, objectively. I might have more knowledge than the average person, but I truly have enough to know how little I know.
They are not looking for guidance from you! This is good research (primary research) to help them understand what investors are thinking in order to address potential behavioral risks, and education opportunities. You represent a valid sample of their investor base.