vanguard notice - retiring our old investment platform

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
MrPotatoHead

vanguard notice - retiring our old investment platform

Post by MrPotatoHead » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 pm

Like many I received this notice:

Over the past few years, we've made some improvements to our investment platform. As a result of these improvements, we'll be retiring our old investment platform—which is what you're using today—and asking all our clients to transition to the new one.

We'd make the transition for you, but we can't unfortunately (regulatory reasons). Complete it today!

Does anyone one know what regulation is prohibiting them from doing the transition themselves and what mysterious information I need to furnish.

I did a bogleheads search and found the thread about the general topic but not the rational in regard to the regulatory reason.

Silk McCue

Re: vanguard notice - retiring our old investment platform

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 pm

MrPotatoHead wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 pm

Over the past few years, we've made some improvements to our investment platform. As a result of these improvements, we'll be retiring our old investment platform—which is what you're using today—and asking all our clients to transition to the new one.

We'd make the transition for you, but we can't unfortunately (regulatory reasons). Complete it today!

Does anyone one know what regulation is prohibiting them from doing the transition themselves and what mysterious information I need to furnish.

I did a bogleheads search and found the thread about the general topic but not the rational in regard to the regulatory reason.
I have not idea what the regulatory reason but I guarantee it exists. If they could just get you to tell them to do it I expect they would. I don't expect their is anything mysterious about the information that you need to supply. The sooner they can dispose of support for this old platform the sooner they will be able to save money. As owner's we should support this. Supporting it doesn't mean we have to like it.

Cheers

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:02 pm

And me, I haven't gotten that notice... and when I log in to the website, it is still not showing any of my accounts as "eligible!"
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

I told my rep that I would be the last client to convert and she chuckled.

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:17 pm

MrPotatoHead wrote:

I have not received this notice but am wondering, is this the mutual fund vs. brokerage account issue or something different?
I have a mutual fund account and have been notified about this conversion many months ago but have not received the high pressure urging to convert.
Bob

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm
We may have to coordinate that, because I have no plan to convert at this time ;)

grok87

Post by grok87 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:51 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 pm
HueyLD wrote:
We may have to coordinate that, because I have no plan to convert at this time ;)
+1
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Went though this mini drill when I talked to CSR about converting from investor shares to admiral shares.
--Me: Will my cost basis be maintained.
--CSR: Yes.

Not! Didn't work that way as Vanguard lumped all of my investor share lots into one admiral share lot.
--My cost basis information didn't agree with Vanguard's website cost basis information.
--Vanguard's website cost basis information didn't agree with the received 1099B.

Fortunately my sale was for uncovered shares so there was a Sch D/8949 code I could use to explain discrepancy. Don't know what I could have done had the sale been for covered shares and 1099B disagreed with my tax return. (Had already requested Vanguard send me letter documenting that I was selling based on my specific ID cost basis. No joy.)

"Fool me multiple times (once for each admiral conversion)...."

I plan to let my heirs convert after they get a stepped up cost basis. Then if/when Vanguard lumps everything into one lot, it will not matter to them.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

rob

Post by rob » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:43 pm

HueyLD wrote:
lol - I told mine that I would be right behind the last "guy" on the list... So I guess I'm after you :D
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:47 pm

MrPotatoHead wrote:
OP, I'm curious, can you tell us if you currently have an old "Vanguard mutual fund only" account, or do you currently have an old-platform Vanguard Brokerage account (holding individual stocks/bonds, ETFs, and non-vanguard mutual funds) ?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:54 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Everyone has a price .... $100? $1000? Maybe this is where it is headed.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:57 pm

stan1 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:54 pm
HueyLD wrote:
No, I am priceless.

peppers

Post by peppers » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 pm

grok87 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:51 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 pm
HueyLD wrote:
+1
I'm in agreement.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:30 pm

dratkinson wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:16 pm
Went though this mini drill when I talked to CSR about converting from investor shares to admiral shares.

Not! Didn't work that way as Vanguard lumped all of my investor share lots into one admiral share lot.
--My cost basis information didn't agree with Vanguard's website cost basis information.
--Vanguard's website cost basis information didn't agree with the received 1099B.

Fortunately my sale was for uncovered shares so there was a Sch D/8949 code I could use to explain discrepancy. Don't know what I could have done had the sale been for covered shares and 1099B disagreed with my tax return. (Had already requested Vanguard send me letter documenting that I was selling based on my specific ID cost basis. No joy.)

I plan to let my heirs convert after they get a stepped up cost basis. Then if/when Vanguard lumps everything into one lot, it will not matter to them.
Stuff like that is basically what I am concerned about and why I am not moving (also, if it ain't broken, ....). I will need to retire first to have time to sort through hundreds of share lots...

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:51 pm

stan1 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:54 pm
I agree that everyone has a price but I’ll bet at some point the incentives comes in the form of an extra charge to stay on the old platform. This would be consistent with VG’s philosophy of owners paying for the services used and avoid angering all their clients who converted for “free”.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:55 pm

I'm not saying Vanguard is right or wrong to make the request, and I'm not telling anybody else what to do, but I would be concerned that eventually, which doesn't necessarily mean Monday morning, with fewer and fewer accounts the old IT system would receive less and less maintenance funding.

It's just one more point to add into the mix. Everybody makes their own choices. For the record, I converted because it was necessary to carry out a plan I made, but then circumstances changed and the plan inverted, and converting turned out not to have been necessary for what I ended up doing. Operationally I notice little difference, but I do the same simple things in the brokerage account I would do if I still had the mutual fund account.

PJW

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:05 pm

I might not be up to date, but the last I knew you could not schedule "automatic" exchanges from say, Prime MM to a muni fund or auto exchanges to a bank account on/in the brokerage platform. I don't do either now, but it would be handy if I depart earlier than my wife.

Has this changed - or is it still "planned for the future"?

Dale
Volatility is my friend

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Dale_G wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:05 pm
I might not be up to date, but the last I knew you could not schedule "automatic" exchanges from say, Prime MM to a muni fund or auto exchanges to a bank account on/in the brokerage platform. I don't do either now, but it would be handy if I depart earlier than my wife.
No internet where you're going?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Gort

Post by Gort » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:29 pm

I expect Vanguard to provide less support to the old platform as time goes by. This may make it more difficult to transact with the old platform. That alone will probably make the stragglers convert. I don't understand the hesitance on some folks to convert.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:10 pm

MrPotatoHead wrote:

I got the same email today. Again. I have only MF accounts.

I will convert when there is a good reason to do so. Until then, I look forward to their repeated requests.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Still not clear to me what the difference between the old and the new platforms is.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm

jebmke wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:03 pm
Dale_G wrote:
The last I knew - no internet. Everyone just hangs around playing harps - and at 80+, I could "depart" at anytime. :D

Dale
Volatility is my friend

beyou

Post by beyou » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 am

Gort wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:29 pm
I expect Vanguard to provide less support to the old platform as time goes by. This may make it more difficult to transact with the old platform. That alone will probably make the stragglers convert. I don't understand the hesitance on some folks to convert.
Not hesitance, observing requirement NOT to convert.
Some have employer restrictions requiring we can only use certain BROKERAGE firms, not including vbs. No restriction on old fashioned mutual fund-only accounts.
I informed my Flagship rep long ago that if they convert me, I would have to close the account and move to a broker on an employer approved list.

rob

Post by rob » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:07 am

blevine wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 am
Gort wrote:
Some have employer restrictions requiring we can only use certain BROKERAGE firms, not including vbs. No restriction on old fashioned mutual fund-only accounts.
I informed my Flagship rep long ago that if they convert me, I would have to close the account and move to a broker on an employer approved list.
+1
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:18 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 pm
MrPotatoHead wrote:

I have not idea what the regulatory reason but I guarantee it exists. If they could just get you to tell them to do it I expect they would. I don't expect their is anything mysterious about the information that you need to supply. The sooner they can dispose of support for this old platform the sooner they will be able to save money. As owner's we should support this. Supporting it doesn't mean we have to like it.

Cheers
I e-mailed Vanguard and asked them citing the information I posted and in full Vanguard customer service mode they did what I have come to expect, they simply pointed me back to the exact same information I e-mailed to them with no additional explanation.

Unlike you I don't trust Vanguard at all, not one iota. I have caught them disseminating incorrect information too many times and find them very evasive in their responses to straight forward queries. There effective non-response to my query heightens my sense of distrust of them.

I truly wish I had your confidence in Vanguard's integrity.

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:24 am

dratkinson wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:16 pm

+1

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:25 am

JoMoney wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:47 pm
MrPotatoHead wrote:
OP, I'm curious, can you tell us if you currently have an old "Vanguard mutual fund only" account, or do you currently have an old-platform Vanguard Brokerage account (holding individual stocks/bonds, ETFs, and non-vanguard mutual funds) ?
Mutual Fund Only account...

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:11 am

If the new investment platform supported the same features (that I use) as the old one, I would support it. It does not. I do not.
Steve

3funder

Post by 3funder » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:30 am

I just switched to the new platform. It was easy and went off without a hitch.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:54 am

MrPotatoHead wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:18 am

I e-mailed Vanguard and asked them citing the information I posted and in full Vanguard customer service mode they did what I have come to expect, they simply pointed me back to the exact same information I e-mailed to them with no additional explanation.

Unlike you I don't trust Vanguard at all, not one iota. I have caught them disseminating incorrect information too many times and find them very evasive in their responses to straight forward queries. There effective non-response to my query heightens my sense of distrust of them.

I would not conduct business with a company “I don’t trust at all, not one iota”. Especially not one that holds all of my investments. I have “fired” plenty of businesses in my day and would do so in a heartbeat if it were in my best interest.

I am not a sychophant, just a very satisfied customer.

Cheers

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:10 am

Dale_G wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm
jebmke wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:03 pm
Dale_G wrote:
The last I knew - no internet. Everyone just hangs around playing harps - and at 80+, I could "depart" at anytime. :D

Dale
Every so often I think, I should send my (late) Mom an email. How crazy is that. But wouldn't it be nice. :-(

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:30 am

3funder wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:30 am
Was your original share lot information preserved?

Can you reinvest mutual fund distributions?

In one transactions, can you sell fund A to buy fund B?

Must you use a mmkt settlement account?

(Don't remember the other features I've read that might have been changed/lost.)
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Dan999

Post by Dan999 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:32 am

If this is the conversion they have been talking about for a long time, I will not do it. The last I heard was that mutual fund 1099's would come out in mid February under the new system vs late January for the current platform. I file my taxes early to avoid having someone get my refund, and this would delay my filing.
If they changed it so I could get my 1099 the same time as I currently do, I would change.
Dan999

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm

I wouldn't profess to be an expert on the old vs. the new, and didn't record every little feature that I had in the old world vs. the new world, but I transitioned to everything in brokerage accounts in mid-2016. I've noticed:

- You can automatically have Vanguard mutual fund dividends transferred to your bank, but you cannot do that with stocks or bonds (haven't tried non-Vanguard mutual funds).

- If you do auto transfer of Vanguard mutual fund dividends, they go a day later than if you reinvest.

- I THINK our joint account had TOD/POD. With the brokerage accounts, Vanguard refuses to do that, says its against the law in Pennsylvania. It still exists for individual accounts.

- As I recall, certain things didn't transfer over well. I recall us having to redo some forms and permissions, but don't recall specifically what they were. If I wasn't tiered with a dedicated rep, I suspect I would have been much more upset than I was. I think some bank links got broken too.

- It creates TWO sets of tax forms for the year, one from the old accounts, one from the new accounts. Was a PITA doing my taxes that year because Quicken gave me one set of numbers, and i had to add all the Vanguard numbers together to match up.

- Again, I don't remember on the old system, but on the new system if foreign taxes are deducted from a fund, you get the net amount deposited into your account (or reinvested), without any entry for the foreign tax. Then, when you get your tax forms, it shows the gross amount and the foreign taxes, so you have to do the math.

In short, it's not as smooth as it should be. But it is nicer having one account instead of 8 or 10.

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:57 pm

I switched my accounts in stages over the past few years with no issue. Here are answers based on my experience
dratkinson wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:30 am

Yes, I converted one taxable account and cost basis information was preserved without issue.

Yes, in my IRA's the VG mutual funds are all setup for reinvestment in the same fund. You do need to double check investment options after conversion. What you had setup in the old system does not necessarily transfer over but this is a one time task.

Yes, for VG mutual funds exchanges between funds works just like the old style account did.

Yes, all brokerage accounts have settlement fund accounts embedded.

(Don't remember the other features I've read that might have been changed/lost.)
Initially the brokerage accounts did not allow auto-transfer of VG fund distributions direct to your outside bank. This has been modified and is now possible. Dividends from stocks do not have this option and if not reinvested go into the settlement fund.

The tax statements do come later (mid-Feb) but as far as I know, this is industry standard for all accounts. The outlier is the old VG account so if this is a big deal it's not like you can go elsewhere and preserve the early date.

Hope this helps :beer

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:54 am
MrPotatoHead wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:18 am

I would not conduct business with a company “I don’t trust at all, not one iota”. Especially not one that holds all of my investments. I have “fired” plenty of businesses in my day and would do so in a heartbeat if it were in my best interest.

I am not a sychophant, just a very satisfied customer.

Cheers
All the money I have at Vanguard is taxable and not all the funds had an ETF equivalent (at least according to Vanguard) so I am not able to hold them at another broker and get totally away from Vanguard. To your point, I wish I never heard of them. Unfortunately my children's employers selected Vanguard for their 410K plan, so I still have to deal with these %.

The latest outrage is revealed at the link below. At this point I have zero trust in Vanguard in terms of integrity.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=247116

Vegomatic

Qn re: "Old Investment Platform" at Vanguard

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:37 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Vanguard: Transition to our new investment platform: viewtopic.php?t=246942

"Over the past few years, we've made some improvements to our investment platform. As a result of these improvements, we'll be retiring our old investment platform—which is what you're using today—and asking all our clients to transition to the new one.

We'd make the transition for you, but we can't unfortunately (regulatory reasons). Complete it today!"

I came across the above post and replies, and am a longtime VG investor, with holdings in the "old" (mutual fund) platform.

I have NOT received a message saying that I must convert - and do not want to because I am a big user of [directed dividends] and other features that the brokerage platform (see above link) does not support.

QUESTION: Is this for real - do you have to convert? What happens if you do not convert? Thanks. - Vegomatic

3funder

Post by 3funder » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:43 pm

dratkinson wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:30 am
3funder wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:30 am

I don't tax lost harvest, but my average cost basis is as it should be.

Yes, I can reinvest.

I can't imagine I wouldn't be able to do this.

Not sure.

Silk McCue

Re: Qn re: "Old Investment Platform" at Vanguard

Post by Silk McCue » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Since there is already an active topic on this thread I think you will have more success by posting there as others have already provided the input on not changing over, being the last to convert, discussing that Vanguard could incentivize folks to change with negative and positive reinforcement ...

Cheers

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:47 pm

I merged Vegomatic's thread into here. The combined thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (news).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:10 pm

I Shall not be moved.
All the Best, | Joe

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:10 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Yes, probably because I had just told her the same thing . . .

Gort

Post by Gort » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 pm

rob wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:07 am
blevine wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 am
Gort wrote:
+1
Interesting - I wasn't aware of that. I stand corrected. :beer

Bob Alou

Post by Bob Alou » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:32 pm

I have not converted, and I did not receive this notice - but I did notice that all of those "upgrade" buttons are now missing from my accounts.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:49 pm

i admit to being a dummy. How do I tell if I'm on the old platform or the new one?
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:57 pm

palaheel wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:49 pm
i admit to being a dummy. How do I tell if I'm on the old platform or the new one?
If your account has the word Brokerage in it, it’s on the new platform.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:59 pm

palaheel wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:49 pm
If you're unhappy you're on the new one.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:22 am

Bob Alou wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:32 pm
I have not converted, and I did not receive this notice - but I did notice that all of those "upgrade" buttons are now missing from my accounts.
Hopefully forever. This "new platform" business never made any sense for the customer's point of view. They said "nothing will change": if it is true, then why should I bother ? If it is not true, I'm perfectly happy as things are, then why should I bother.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:45 am

Thesaints wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:22 am
This "new platform" business never made any sense for the customer's point of view. They said "nothing will change": if it is true, then why should I bother ? If it is not true, I'm perfectly happy as things are, then why should I bother.
If you have only VG mutual funds there is no operational advantage for "upgrading". However oerating two different platforms is going to raise costs. And as fewer and fewer people are on the old system support is likely to diminish in order to be able to maintain Vanguards low cost mantra.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:12 am

Doc wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:45 am
Thesaints wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:22 am
This "new platform" business never made any sense for the customer's point of view. They said "nothing will change": if it is true, then why should I bother ? If it is not true, I'm perfectly happy as things are, then why should I bother.
If you have only VG mutual funds there is no operational advantage for "upgrading". However oerating two different platforms is going to raise costs. And as fewer and fewer people are on the old system support is likely to diminish in order to be able to maintain Vanguards low cost mantra.
Vanguard will figure it out. They don't need me to help them do it. As someone predicted in a similar thread, they will probably eventually motivate us stragglers with positive or negative incentives. Or they will figure out an economic way to support both platforms.

I have most of my money with them because they figured out how to lower investing costs, so I trust them to be able to achieve an economic solution.