Unimpressive category averages of managed futures, multialternative, market neutral, etc.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Unimpressive category averages of managed futures, multialternative, market neutral, etc.

Post by nisiprius » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 pm

In this posting, I want to look at Morningstar's category averages for various investment categories. I don't know how to show them without displaying a specific fund first, but I don't want to look at the specific funds (in blue), I want to look at the category averages (in orange). So please ignore the blue lines. In many cases, of course, specific funds have done better than the averages--in some cases I wouldn't have heard about them if they hadn't. First, let's look at traditional securities, to see how the average large-blend stock fund and the average intermediate-term bond fund performed.

In each case: blue, throwaway fund, plotted only to get Morningstar to show me the category average; ignore it.
Orange, category average.
Green, a money market fund (virtually zero standard deviation, virtually zero correlation with stocks)

Large Blend: the average large blend fund far outperformed the money market fund. The risk was well rewarded. I'd rather have the blue line than the orange line, but the average large blend fund was a worthwhile investment.

Source

Intermediate-Term Bond: the average intermediate-term bond fund far outperformed the money market fund. The risk was well regarded. I'd rather have the blue line than the orange line, but, again, the average intermediate-term bond fund was a worthwhile investment.

Source

Now, let's look at some trendy new investment categories. Remember, I only want to look at category averages. I know that individual funds will have done better than the averages, but I am interested in the averages. This is how these categories have done in real life, real funds, real transaction costs, running real money, on the average, not just looking at the best ones.

Managed futures: a money market fund outperformed the average managed futures fund.
Source

Multialternatives: the average multialternatives fund had essentially the same performance as the money market mutual fund, winning by a nose--but at the cost of far higher risk.
Source

Commodities: a money market mutual fund outperformed the average commodities fund.
Source

Market neutral: a money market mutual fund outperformed the average market neutral fund.
Source

Low correlation? First things first. If your diversifier has less return than a money market mutual fund, it is going to drag down your return so much that it is almost impossible for any low correlation effect to offset it.

P.S. Morningstar's methodology for computing category averages.
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Rob't

Re: Unimpressive category averages of managed futures, multialternative, market neutral, etc.

Post by Rob't » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Strong support for keeping it simple, not getting tied up in complexity, and not feeling bad about it.
Thanks, Nisi!

wickywack

Re: Unimpressive category averages of managed futures, multialternative, market neutral, etc.

Post by wickywack » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:52 am

This is sobering data. I suspect all these trendy categories all had much better returns up to the point that they became trendy.

john4546

Post by john4546 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 am

Someone send this memo to Swedroe.

Bitzer

Post by Bitzer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 am

@Nisiprius Thanks for an excellent post on a timely topic I've been seeing a lot of discussion about alternatives recently

I believe long/short alternative funds have been beating money market performance recently, as has QSPIX

@John4546...funny!

lack_ey

Post by lack_ey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Some quick notes:

1) In a world where access to stock and bond betas is so cheap, an asset allocator considering anything else should be most interested in the active return in excess of those commoditized exposures from any prospective investment, not just the excess return above cash (though that is relevant and interesting as well). The goal would be positive active return, which even with high volatility could improve portfolios. In other words, that's positive alpha above the beta exposures, which could come from non-market factor betas, bottom-up security selection, market timing, and so on. On the other hand, even low volatility but with all returns explained by market betas on stocks and bonds would not be useful.

2) The large blend stock and intermediate-term bond categories are both terrible by this measure, as the category average simply provides almost pure negative alpha with high R^2 to the passive exposures. It's clear that you don't want to invest across the universe of available funds in these categories when the alternative is to get the beta return above cash via passive funds.

3) All the alternatives categories are hampered by even higher fees than for the stock and bond categories. You get what you don't pay for.

4) In some alternatives categories, the average fund may have significant exposures to stock and bond betas, so the results may be worse than initially thought. A fund with 0.3 equity market beta that beat cash by 1% in an environment in which stocks outgained cash by 10% a year should be considered to have had poor performance. Many multialternatives funds have net exposures to stocks, fixed income, and commodities.

5) In many alternatives categories, the difference in strategies and effectively the returns distributions are widely disparate, more so than the differences between funds in traditional categories (where all returns are strongly related to the performance of the beta exposures widely shared between them).

6) This means that the category average may be significantly less volatile than the average fund in the category. It also means that the average is not necessarily indicative of what drives the performance of individual funds. Differences in strategies and exposures are identifiable in advance. It might be more (or possibly even less) possible to pick better funds in these categories than for others.

7) All of these categories, including for large blend stocks and intermediate-term bonds, exist outside of mutual funds, and some have longer histories there. Morningstar covers mutual fund returns, which is relevant for investors choosing between mutual funds, but may not be representative of categories more broadly and what to expect.

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:52 pm

wickywack wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:52 am
This is sobering data. I suspect all these trendy categories all had much better returns up to the point that they became trendy.
Yup, the premise of one of my favorite books by Dr Bernstein, “Skating Where the Puck Was”.

Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Nisiprius, that's a very nice piece of work! I'd done some noodling in that same territory, but with less rigor... and came away thinking that I'd best avoid the field entirely. I'll wait for some clear long term benefits before I consider anything new.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:38 pm

Bitzer wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 am
...I believe long/short alternative funds have been beating money market performance recently, as has QSPIX...
Morningstar puts QSPIX, fairly or unfairly, in the "multialternatives" category. QSPIX had its inception in 2013, so I used DVRAX in order to get a longer-term view.

QSPIX has, indeed, beaten its category average.

Generally speaking, most of what one hears about mutual funds is about funds that have beaten their category averages. People advocating one specific fund will generally give reasons why they expect it to continue to do so.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:55 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 pm
In this posting, I want to look at Morningstar's category averages for various investment categories. I don't know how to show them without displaying a specific fund first, but I don't want to look at the specific funds (in blue), I want to look at the category averages (in orange). So please ignore the blue lines. In many cases, of course, specific funds have done better than the averages--in some cases I wouldn't have heard about them if they hadn't. First, let's look at traditional securities, to see how the average large-blend stock fund and the average intermediate-term bond fund performed.

In each case: blue, throwaway fund, plotted only to get Morningstar to show me the category average; ignore it.
Orange, category average.
Green, a money market fund (virtually zero standard deviation, virtually zero correlation with stocks)

Large Blend: the average large blend fund far outperformed the money market fund. The risk was well rewarded. I'd rather have the blue line than the orange line, but the average large blend fund was a worthwhile investment.

Source

Intermediate-Term Bond: the average intermediate-term bond fund far outperformed the money market fund. The risk was well regarded. I'd rather have the blue line than the orange line, but, again, the average intermediate-term bond fund was a worthwhile investment.

Source

Now, let's look at some trendy new investment categories. Remember, I only want to look at category averages. I know that individual funds will have done better than the averages, but I am interested in the averages. This is how these categories have done in real life, real funds, real transaction costs, running real money, on the average, not just looking at the best ones.

Managed futures: a money market fund outperformed the average managed futures fund.
Source

Multialternatives: the average multialternatives fund had essentially the same performance as the money market mutual fund, winning by a nose--but at the cost of far higher risk.
Source

Commodities: a money market mutual fund outperformed the average commodities fund.
Source

Market neutral: a money market mutual fund outperformed the average market neutral fund.
Source

Low correlation? First things first. If your diversifier has less return than a money market mutual fund, it is going to drag down your return so much that it is almost impossible for any low correlation effect to offset it.

P.S. Morningstar's methodology for computing category averages.

For many years I had a stake in the merger fund, a market nuetral fund that exploited the theory (and presumably inefficiency ) that acquired funds tend to go up and acquiring funds tend to go down. For many years they had respectable single digit returns with very low volatility. However in recent years it has failed to beat short term bond funds. Overcoming their near 2 percent expense ratio I guess is too difficult. I ultimately dumped it a while back. Perhaps it was an anomoly that can no longer be easily exploited.

lack_ey

Post by lack_ey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:40 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:38 pm
Bitzer wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 am
...I believe long/short alternative funds have been beating money market performance recently, as has QSPIX...
Morningstar puts QSPIX, fairly or unfairly, in the "multialternatives" category. QSPIX had its inception in 2013, so I used DVRAX in order to get a longer-term view.

QSPIX has, indeed, beaten its category average.

Generally speaking, most of what one hears about mutual funds is about funds that have beaten their category averages. People advocating one specific fund will generally give reasons why they expect it to continue to do so.
Multialternatives is right for AQR Style Premia (QSPIX). It's also one of the most wide-ranging fund categories. After all, it's a catchall for funds running multiple alternatives strategies. Some look like regular tactical allocation funds except with a few other things sprinkled in. Others are straightforward combinations of strategies that would each fall into other Morningstar categories (e.g. equity market neutral and managed futures). It goes on.

I'm wondering what Bitzer means by "long/short alternative funds" as that's a somewhat ambiguous term as to asset exposure. Without clarification that usually means equity long/short, but sometimes it could mean in fixed income (especially credit long/short) or something else. More importantly, some people use "long/short" to mean offsetting long and short, as in market neutral. But others including Morningstar have a separate market neutral category and lump funds with substantial net positive market exposure into the long/short category. We can say that market neutral strategies are a special case of long/short that attempts to be offsetting long and short either on a dollar or beta basis.

It's trivial for the (not market neutral) long/short funds to beat cash when the market is up, as the beta exposure adds to returns and will make up for some negative alpha.

That said, even the market neutral category has beaten cash the last few years, despite all those management expenses (not to mention the cost of running the portfolios).

SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks again for valuable information presented simply and with plenty of clarity.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:51 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 pm
Doesn't this apply to bonds as well? They are a diversifier with very low returns. They've returned less than a money market fund over the past 12-months and slightly more (around 0.4% more) over the past three years.

I guess I don't understand when low returns from a diversifier are a problem and when they're not.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:43 pm

john4546 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 am
Someone send this memo to Swedroe.
I will make a bold prediction, that is that Larry has read this and a personal message is on its way to Nisiprius.
A fool and his money are good for business.

alpine_boglehead

Post by alpine_boglehead » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:36 am

wickywack wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:52 am
Another way to see this is that alternatives don't exist in a vacuum, they compete for capital that otherwise can go into cash, bonds, stocks etc. So if you subscribe to a universal, asset-class spanning efficient market hypotheses, prices in alternatives should also have been buoyed by low interest rates, and expected returns driven downwards.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:46 am

Get with the program Nisi. These funds are guaranteed money makers...for their managers. :annoyed

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 pm

lack_ey wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:18 pm
...2) The large blend stock and intermediate-term bond categories are both terrible by this measure, as the category average simply provides almost pure negative alpha with high R^2 to the passive exposures. It's clear that you don't want to invest across the universe of available funds in these categories when the alternative is to get the beta return above cash via passive funds...
I may not have made myself clear. I was not advocating equal-weighted investing in all of the funds in a particular category. What I was trying to do was avoid the issue of presenting one example from a universe of funds in a category, like fenestrated therbligs, and saying "this fund did great, therefore fenestrated therbligs are great" or "this fund shows that the theoretical returns from fenestrated therbligs can be realized in practice.

Looking at the average, instead of the best, is going to show you poorer returns. Since I was looking at category averages of newly-fashionable assets, I thought the fair thing to do was to put traditional assets under the same handicap by also looking at category averages.
3) All the alternatives categories are hampered by even higher fees than for the stock and bond categories. You get what you don't pay for.
That's not my fault. One has to ask "why do these funds have higher fees?" As I see it, there are two possible answers. One, which Larry Swedroe has invoked in the case of the AQR and the Stone Ridge funds, is that these asset classes are just intrinsically costly to manage. Fine, but if these asset classes are more costly to manage, then their higher cost of management is a legitimate issue with the asset class itself. It's meaningless to say "these would be great investments if you could get them at negligible cost" if, in fact, you can't do that. The other possible answer is that fund managers of the newly-fashionable assets are systematically greedier than managers of traditional assets.
4) In some alternatives categories, the average fund may have significant exposures to stock and bond betas, so the results may be worse than initially thought. A fund with 0.3 equity market beta that beat cash by 1% in an environment in which stocks outgained cash by 10% a year should be considered to have had poor performance. Many multialternatives funds have net exposures to stocks, fixed income, and commodities.
Again, it's not my problem if the supposedly "low correlations" of some asset class aren't actually low enough to provide benefit. It's the problem of the people who misrepresented the supposed "nature" of the asset class--wittingly or unwittingly.
...7) All of these categories, including for large blend stocks and intermediate-term bonds, exist outside of mutual funds, and some have longer histories there. Morningstar covers mutual fund returns, which is relevant for investors choosing between mutual funds, but may not be representative of categories more broadly and what to expect.
Sure.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks Nisi for the work.

I am not sure why we are surprised. Have the different alternative guys said they expect an investor do better with them then the sp500? I don't think so. I think their point is THEIR (meaning the fund they run) expertise adds value to a diversified portfolio especially when the times get difficult for the general market (2000- 2002 and 2007-8). Even if so (many, of course, did not), the difficult aspect of active management is picking the winners out of the majority of losers BEFORE hand. There lies the problem. Unless one has a good way of finding the few winners out of the losers AHEAD of time there is no point of even considering all these different alternative approaches.

Your work showed using the benchmark clearly is not useful as a reason to add the asset class in a passive management strategy. So that means you have to figure out which ones will outperform BEFORE they are needed to do so. This is why once you are a static asset allocation guy (bogleheads) it is very hard to combine that with any active management techniques. That means if you were interested in doing alternatives you have to add MANY features of active management (which alernatives? Which specific active management alternative strategies? How much weight? When to overweight and underweight based on market conditions, etc...). When you add ALL of that active management layers it should be obvious the chances of outperforming a simple bogleheads portfolio is low (my guess under 5% over 25 year investing lifespan).

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:56 pm

It probably isn't too much of a mystery why the category-average returns of the four "alternative" asset classes examined by nisiprius in the OP have underperformed the more traditional stock & bond asset classes.

A look at their category-average expense ratios (from Morningstar):
  • Managed Futures Strategies........1.89%
    Multi-alternative Funds...............1.57%
    Commodities Funds.....................1.27%
    Market Neutral Funds..................1.64%

Large Blend Stock Funds..............0.89%
    Intermediate-Term Bonds............0.76%
    Prime Money Market....................0.36%
That's quite an expense headwind to overcome, if one wants to consider them in Boglehead-style portfolio.
Cordially, Todd

lack_ey

Post by lack_ey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:07 pm

So nisiprius, how do you interpret these results? How would you relate the category average characteristics to that of a given fund in the category?

Category average performance over time reflects the underlying performance of the average assets held minus all costs. So what does that say?

Are you interested in the averages themselves or in the behavior of funds? I definitely understand not wanting to focus on individual funds, especially those known ex-post to have been the best. But I wonder about the applicability of the averages to whatever questions you're trying to answer, which I'd like some clarification about.

What I envision as maybe a more representative analysis (but impractical for our purposes, taking too much work) would be to consider the effects of adding each individual fund to a baseline portfolio. Then we can say something like "X% of large blend funds improved portfolio outcomes, Y% made portfolios worse, Z% improved outcomes by a Sharpe ratio boost of more than 0.05 for the optimal ex-post allocation." Then compare that to funds in different categories. But something like that might not answer the questions you were looking at.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:23 pm

Nisiprius:

Thank you for your graphs which clearly demonstrate how difficult it is to beat the market with costly alternate funds promoted by the investment industry to maximize their profits.
Morningstar: "If there's anything in the whole world of mutual funds that you can take to the bank, it's that expense ratios help you make a better decision. In every single time period and data point tested, low-cost funds beat high-cost funds."
Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:28 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:37 pm

I am not sure why we are surprised....

Unless one has a good way of finding the few winners out of the losers AHEAD of time there is no point of even considering all these different alternative approaches.....

So that means you have to figure out which ones will outperform BEFORE they are needed to do so.
I'm betting that Nisi and many others were not surprised. The analysis shows that these alternative funds have the same issue as the active vs passive debate. IF you can pick the winner ahead of time you're OK. I'm not sure why anyone would think they can pick the winner in these categories any better than others.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 pm

What I envision as maybe a more representative analysis (but impractical for our purposes, taking too much work) would be to consider the effects of adding each individual fund to a baseline portfolio. Then we can say something like "X% of large blend funds improved portfolio outcomes, Y% made portfolios worse, Z% improved outcomes by a Sharpe ratio boost of more than 0.05 for the optimal ex-post allocation." Then compare that to funds in different categories. But something like that might not answer the questions you were looking at.
I completely agree that that something like that seems like the analysis one would like to make.

However, there's a simple-minded, and, I think valid way to look at results like the ones above, when the results that are as plain as the nose on your face. It is that takes some really extraordinary combination of high volatility and robust, persistent, reliable negative correlation, for an otherwise crappy investment (low return) to improve a portfolio with much higher return. With results like the ones above, I don't think you need to do the math. However, let's look at one. We're looking this time at the mutual fund itself, the blue line, because I can analyze mutual funds in PortfolioVisualizer, and I can't put the Morningstar averages into PortfolioVisualizer.

For example, in the managed futures category: MHFIX, Equinox MutualHedge Futures Strategy Fund.

Source
This is a fund that beat its category average. The category average would be worse. If this fund doesn't help a portfolio, the category average won't.

And if we use Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate as a good example of a "traditional" 60/40 stocks-and-bonds portfolio, well, look at the low correlation.

So do you really believe that this fund, which earned a cumulative total of only 14% over a period of 8-1/2 years, would have improved Vanguard Lifestrategy Moderate?

Because it wouldn't have. The red curve is 80% LifeStrategy moderate, 20% MHFIX. By all means play with the percentages if you think 20% an unreasonable number.

Source

MHFIX, because it had such low return, dragged down VSMGX's return. Because it had such low correlation, it did reduce volatility. But... overall... it lowered the Sharpe and Sortino ratios.
Are you interested in the averages themselves or in the behavior of funds? I definitely understand not wanting to focus on individual funds, especially those known ex-post to have been the best. But I wonder about the applicability of the averages to whatever questions you're trying to answer, which I'd like some clarification about.
I'm interested in funds for a number of reasons. One is that as a low-sophistication retail investor, not a "qualified" investor, funds and the Investment Company Act of 1940 are suitable for me.

Another is that funds force realism. You can't hide behind cost-free academic indexes. People say, "well, of course the fund performed poorly, look at the expense ratio." I say "well, why is the expense ratio so high?" (1.70% for MHFIX!) Maybe there is a high intrinsic cost in trying to invest in this asset class.

Another is that funds force transparency. I don't know what to make of assertions that some strategy or another has been used and working magnificently for advisors or hedge funds. I just have no way to verify them. With funds, there is a huge wealth of information... and a lot of help from Morningstar.

The interesting thing is how many strategies that look great in presentations, have fallen down just about the time they were implemented as mutual funds. I don't know if that's real or just my biased perception. "Rekenthaler's Rule" is "if the bozos know about it, it doesn't work any more." Perhaps "getting mutual funds that implement them" is a good marker for "the bozos know about it."
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:55 pm

BigJohn wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:28 pm
staythecourse wrote:

Unless one has a good way of finding the few winners out of the losers AHEAD of time there is no point of even considering all these different alternative approaches.....

So that means you have to figure out which ones will outperform BEFORE they are needed to do so.
I'm betting that Nisi and many others were not surprised. The analysis shows that these alternative funds have the same issue as the active vs passive debate. IF you can pick the winner ahead of time you're OK. I'm not sure why anyone would think they can pick the winner in these categories any better than others.
Agreed. The analysis did not surprise anyone, but the take away is the inference that again for active to be successful you have to find the winners ahead of time on a time weighted basis. Active always like to talk about pick us as we are winners, but the problem is even the losers said the same thing when they first began so how does ANY investor who wants to believe in active choose between the possible available funds?

This ultimately is the BEST part of being a passive investor MORE then even the low ER. It is knowing that an index fund only job is to follow the benchmark. Stewardship alone takes care of that one.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

lack_ey

Post by lack_ey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:19 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 pm
So do you really believe that this fund, which earned a cumulative total of only 14% over a period of 8-1/2 years, would have improved Vanguard Lifestrategy Moderate?

Because it wouldn't have. The red curve is 80% LifeStrategy moderate, 20% MHFIX. By all means play with the percentages if you think 20% an unreasonable number.
Ex-post, I think that investing in alternatives is probably not a great idea when balanced stock/bond allocations have Sharpe ratios significantly in excess of 1. That's the window on which we're evaluating. It's hard to improve on that.

Do you expect balanced stock/bond allocations to perform similarly going forward? What would be your estimates of returns for managed futures (or some other alternatives), stocks, bonds, etc.?

Based on longer-term historical returns, current valuations, etc., I would personally say a Sharpe of about 0.33 for 60/40 seems reasonable, possibly even optimistic. That would correspond to about 3.3% above cash with 10% volatility, or something similar.

Coincidentally there's a balanced fund that had a Sharpe ratio of 0.33 since mid-2011, PIMCO All Asset All Authority (PAUIX). Let's not get too deep into the reasons why (early in betting on EM, betting against rising US stocks after valuations went high, Rob Arnott's favorite mean reversions not really happening). But just as an illustration of more ordinary returns, we find the managed futures fund improved this portfolio:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... tion3_2=80
nisiprius wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 pm
I'm interested in funds for a number of reasons. One is that as a low-sophistication retail investor, not a "qualified" investor, funds and the Investment Company Act of 1940 are suitable for me.

Another is that funds force realism. You can't hide behind cost-free academic indexes. People say, "well, of course the fund performed poorly, look at the expense ratio." I say "well, why is the expense ratio so high?" (1.70% for MHFIX!) Maybe there is a high intrinsic cost in trying to invest in this asset class.
The expense ratios are high because they can find enough investors at these extortionary prices, and it seems to be working for them. Also, there's higher active share in some of these categories, more potential justification for charging high fees (the product not being as commoditized as a broad index fund). So the price wars haven't really come into effect.

Vanguard runs an equity market neutral fund with a ER of 0.25%. Some of these strats could be run fairly cheaply, maybe not as low as some index funds, but the costs need not be nearly as high.

As for the rest of your response, I was ambiguous in wording the prompt and messed up the wording, so I think you answered a different question than the one I intended. I was asking if you were interested in knowing about (1) the performance of individual mutual funds in these categories, how different funds behave, rather than (2) the performance of the average of the mutual funds. The distinction was not between mutual funds and other investment funds (e.g. hedge funds).

In some categories most funds behave similarly to each other and to the average. In others, that's not as true, even if the average fund still definitionally has the same cumulative return over the full period (the evaluation window) as the category average.

staythecourse wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:55 pm
BigJohn wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:28 pm
staythecourse wrote:

Agreed. The analysis did not surprise anyone, but the take away is the inference that again for active to be successful you have to find the winners ahead of time on a time weighted basis. Active always like to talk about pick us as we are winners, but the problem is even the losers said the same thing when they first began so how does ANY investor who wants to believe in active choose between the possible available funds?

This ultimately is the BEST part of being a passive investor MORE then even the low ER. It is knowing that an index fund only job is to follow the benchmark. Stewardship alone takes care of that one.

Good luck.
While identifying winners ahead of time is difficult, in some categories there are definitely differences in exposures and strategies that you could select for. Some funds are as different (within a category) as something like balanced funds and EM bond funds. If you choose a stock index fund over a bond index fund and the stock fund returns more, that's not at all on account of alpha or truly "winning" but nevertheless you could be justified in that choice.

You can also identify funds that are unlikely to provide value based on past performance and asset exposures. Gateway (GATEX, ER = 0.94%, AUM = $8.3 billion) is a US stocks + options fund that has underperformed a combination of 40% S&P 500 / 60% cash the last 10 years, with about 1% lower returns a year and higher volatility, with R^2 on market beta of 0.85 and a correlation to the market of 0.92. I don't see why anybody would expect this would improve portfolios, but apparently billions of dollars are allocated in disagreement with me.

Some alts are simply about passive exposures, and some products follow pretty basic indexes, like some of the commodity futures funds. Or some are not passive but clearly have reasons to be potentially earning money, like the TIAA Real Estate Account or something else loading on what you might think of as (non-stock and non-bond) "betas" that are available.

Other alts about trading strategy, alpha seeking (or seeking factor loadings), like managed futures or equity market neutral, could be more difficult to evaluate.

Theoretical

Post by Theoretical » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Something else about alternatives is that while you may not be able to determine in advance funds that will do well, you most certainly CAN determine that funds that are on shaky ground or are going to be terrible investments:

Examples:

1. 2%/20% hedge fund nonsense or 3% fees
2. Something with extreme manager risk, like concentrated portfolio stock picking
3: A strategy that invests in a Cayman subsidiary to invest in hedge funds (Equinox is notorious for that) rather than one that eats its own cooking (I.e. The sub is managed under the same terms as the prospectus)
4. Strategies that have low volatility and high fees or even low fees in the wrong setting. I'm thinking of Managed Futures in particular here.
5. Funds that show portfolios as just being a big swap basket and cash where the prospectus and reports make no mention of the swap fees.

Better signs:

1. Transparent strategy information and updates.
2. As with indexing, systematic or quantitative is not a cure all, but it's better than a bunch of "gut feel" investments.
3. Does it hit on more asset classes or scope, or is it very limited to one area?
4. Does the alt behave well with your portfolio? Don't expect commodities to help with a stock heavy portfolio in a recessionary situation, but they might help a bond-heavy portfolio in inflation. Similarly, QSPIX is not going to be as good a potential diversifier for a massively tilted portfolio as it would be for a vanilla 3 funder.
5. Related to 4, is it clear what kinds of markets the asset will suck in? I don't buy the notion of absolute returns all the time. That's madoffland. But you're naive if you expect a market neutral fund to blow away equities in a bull market, for commodities to do well in a deflationary situation, etc...

Random Walker

Post by Random Walker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Had a little trouble following this, but with such diverse funds falling under the generic names “Managed Futures, market neutral, multialternative” doesn’t seem fair to group a bunch together and take average. Probably to evaluate each fund individually.

Dave

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 pm

SimpleGift wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:56 pm
It probably isn't too much of a mystery why the category-average returns of the four "alternative" asset classes examined by nisiprius in the OP have underperformed the more traditional stock & bond asset classes.

A look at their category-average expense ratios (from Morningstar):
  • Managed Futures Strategies........1.89%
    Multi-alternative Funds...............1.57%
    Commodities Funds.....................1.27%
    Market Neutral Funds..................1.64%

Large Blend Stock Funds..............0.89%
    Intermediate-Term Bonds............0.76%
    Prime Money Market....................0.36%
That's quite an expense headwind to overcome, if one wants to consider them in Boglehead-style portfolio.
Fascinating discussion. Just one point on fees: while the four alternative asset classes listed are never going to be big retail asset classes and are probably always going to command some sort of higher fee, the ETF fee compression revolution has (probably) started (to a certain point) in these asset classes. You can now buy a quasi-active broad basket commodities ETF for 0.25% ER (GraniteShares Bloomberg Commodity ETF - COMB) and an active managed futures fund for 0.59% ER (JP Morgan Managed Futures Strategy ETF - JPMF). Both these funds are very new, so it will be interesting to see how they compare in 5 years.