What is Megacorp?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Valuethinker

Re: What is Megacorp?

Post by Valuethinker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:14 am

Cycle wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:08 pm
Big corporation. Definitely over 1000 workers, more typically 50k plus. If you don't find the similarities of your workplace to the shows/movies Silicon Valley or Office Space spot on, you're probably not at megacorp. I like working at megacorp, but not sure I'd say the same thing in 10 years.
The good news is, with the constant restructurings, one is not likely to be there in 10 years.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:15 am

Texanbybirth wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:28 pm
Thanks OP, I got a good chuckle reading some of the responses.

I always picture "MegaCorp" as either Apple (any poster who is an engineer) or AT&T (any poster who is a non-engineer). I have no idea why! :confused
If you have ever seen the (James Coburn?) film "The President's Analyst" you will know why.

peppers

Post by peppers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:29 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:07 am
whodidntante wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:55 pm
A soulless organization that stamps out most forms of individual expression, especially high forms like redneckism. The words synergies, overdrive, and harmonize will be used when doing horrible things to people.
You forgot about "reach out to our colleagues in the London office" - bollock them totally

"socialize our colleagues" - brainwash them into our way of thinking

"paradigmize the solution " - reduce it to a trite formula

"synergize" means, of course, to sack people

Adding on

We will have a "seamless integration between the divisions." What they mean is half of you will be out the door shortly.

We need to "rethink what is possible." What they mean is that the organization is in trouble.

We will have a "sharp focus on cost control." See seamless integration.

And the tried and true, "it's all about the customer." Which means don't spend a dime more than you have to.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:30 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:14 am
Cycle wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:08 pm
Big corporation. Definitely over 1000 workers, more typically 50k plus. If you don't find the similarities of your workplace to the shows/movies Silicon Valley or Office Space spot on, you're probably not at megacorp. I like working at megacorp, but not sure I'd say the same thing in 10 years.
The good news is, with the constant restructurings, one is not likely to be there in 10 years.
My employer was/is a megacorp, is not remotely like Silicon Valley or Office Space, and was a very good place to work for a couple+ decades. As I said, I use the word to not be specific, as do a number of people on this forum.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:50 am

peppers wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:29 am
Valuethinker wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:07 am
whodidntante wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:55 pm
A soulless organization that stamps out most forms of individual expression, especially high forms like redneckism. The words synergies, overdrive, and harmonize will be used when doing horrible things to people.
You forgot about "reach out to our colleagues in the London office" - bollock them totally
"socialize our colleagues" - brainwash them into our way of thinking
"paradigmize the solution " - reduce it to a trite formula
"synergize" means, of course, to sack people
Adding on
We will have a "seamless integration between the divisions." What they mean is half of you will be out the door shortly.
We need to "rethink what is possible." What they mean is that the organization is in trouble.
We will have a "sharp focus on cost control." See seamless integration.
And the tried and true, "it's all about the customer." Which means don't spend a dime more than you have to.
Yes .. and when a new general manager take over your division, holds a meeting and says, "I am NOT here to clean house" it means "I AM here to clean house"

When multiple groups are merged, and the top management is from a different group than yours - YOU WILL LOSE.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:59 am

Maybe Apple or Samsung should bring out a shoephone. At least I wouldn't have to worry about losing it.
(Edit: reference: Agent 86. I didn't want to be too obscure...)

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:01 pm

GE as depicted on 30 Rock when Jack Donaghy and Liz Lemon attended the "Retreat to Move Forward". Jack met with the "Six Sigmas", then he and Liz later had L.U.N.C.H. ("Lego Utilization for Negating Crisis Hierarchies") and C.L.A.S.S. ("Consuming Lunch And Simple Socializing").

book lover

Post by book lover » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Megacorp used to be Ma Bell but now I equate to Big Pharma.

danaht

Post by danaht » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:25 pm

I would consider most large cap companies mega corps. Usually these have large HR departments, and a large bureaucracy.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:27 pm

madbrain wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 pm
Raymond wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:09 pm
Don't forget the Umbrella Corporation, United Aerospace Corporation, Tyrell, Cyberdyne Systems, etc. :P
Also, US Robots and Mechanical Men ! And the maker of HAL-9000, which was suspected to be IBM .
That's correct. Alphabetically, the letters HAL are each one off from IBM.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:05 pm

danaht wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:25 pm
I would consider most large cap companies mega corps. Usually these have large HR departments, and a large bureaucracy.
At one time I worked for a Minicorp that I went to when they absorbed the Microcorp I was working for. By that I mean there were six of us counting the secretary and it went to around 200. Megacorp employed something short of 100,000. In the service the organization was about half a million people, I guess.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:52 pm

samsoes wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:27 pm
That's correct. Alphabetically, the letters HAL are each one off from IBM.
Yes, I'm well aware of that. But this was never confirmed by Kubrick. And of course IBM didn't really want the association with a malfunctioning computer.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted, no added value to continue). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general question).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.