Vanguard Municipal Money Market VMSXX 1.39%

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
anon_investor

Re: Vanguard Municipal Money Market VMSXX 1.39%

Post by anon_investor »

indexfundfan wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:23 am
watchnerd wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:10 am Swapping Treasury MM (VUSXX) for Muni MM (VMSXX) now that T-bills are going towards 0 yield and Fed is backstopping muni money markets.

Granted, no state tax in WA. But...

1.83% tax equivalent (or better depending on income fluctuations) for me beats any new CD I can get at Ally right now.
The daily yield of VMSXX has dropped below 1%. I believe reading in the other thread that the yield is about 0.7%.
How can you look up the daily yield? The only yield I can find is what is listed next to the daily price (in the price history search), which is 1.25% for 4/09/2020.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:03 pm
watchnerd wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:10 am Swapping Treasury MM (VUSXX) for Muni MM (VMSXX) now that T-bills are going towards 0 yield and Fed is backstopping muni money markets.

1.83% tax equivalent (or better depending on income fluctuations) for me beats any new CD I can get at Ally right now.
The daily yield of VMSXX has dropped below 1%. I believe reading in the other thread that the yield is about 0.7%.
How can you look up the daily yield? The only yield I can find is what is listed next to the daily price (in the price history search), which is 1.25% for 4/09/2020.
Good question. All I can find is the 1.25% figure as well on the Vanguard Site. So I changed my money market funds over to VMSXX. When it goes to zero I will have to change again and as others have said, it is a few clicks.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:27 pm

Good question. All I can find is the 1.25% figure as well on the Vanguard Site. So I changed my money market funds over to VMSXX. When it goes to zero I will have to change again and as others have said, it is a few clicks.
VMSXX still beats VMMXX or VMFXX right now.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:33 pm
Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:27 pm

VMSXX still beats VMMXX or VMFXX right now.
Beating the Fed money market fund isn't surprising.

Beating the Prime money market fund is surprising.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

watchnerd wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:32 am

Still better than T-bills.

But, yes, we'll see how long it takes to show up at the 7 day yield level.
Yes, someone else posted daily yield at about 0.7% in the other thread. Seems about right, since the Fidelity national muni fund, FTEXX, daily yield dropped to 0.56% on 4/9 from 1.14% on 4/8.

A big drop will take 7 days to be reflected in the 7-day yield, since that's when it will be dropped from the average. In the meantime, the 7-day yield will decline steeply toward that daily yield, which we can see from the various charts posted in this thread and the other thread.

But remember that what matters is daily yield, since that's what you're actually earning. It would be nice if Vanguard posted 1-day yield like Fidelity does, so when yields change rapidly we could see what we're actually earning in the fund.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)
Electron

Post by Electron »

Here is an updated chart showing the SEC yield for Vanguard Municipal Money Market and Vanguard California Money Market.

This has been quite a round trip!

Electron