Is Lockheed Martin about to become the biggest company in history?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
cdu7

Is Lockheed Martin about to become the biggest company in history?

Post by cdu7 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:55 am

https://www.google.com/amp/houston.cbsl ... artin/amp/

Is this real? Is Lockheed Martin really one year away from a truck sized commercial fusion reactor!? If this is real, trillion dollar company doesn’t even begin to describe the upside potential. Anyone else hear about this?

wolf359

Re: Is Lockheed Martin about to become the biggest company in history?

Post by wolf359 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:58 am

Boy, I could put that on my house instead of solar panels. DIY.

:D

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:08 pm

The stock market doesn't seem to think so.

Topic Author
cdu7

Post by cdu7 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:08 pm

wolf359 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:58 am
Boy, I could put that on my house instead of solar panels. DIY.

:D
Haha you can finally have enough power for that particle accelerator you always wanted!

pangea33

Post by pangea33 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:18 pm

Lets hope so. They're the 8th ranked holding in my Vanguard Industrials fund.

I'm gambling that industrials will soar whether at peace or at war.

Idle_Hanz

Post by Idle_Hanz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:20 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:08 pm
The stock market doesn't seem to think so.
How can a civilization changing energy technology compete with websites that host cat pics and harvest personal data? :wink:

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Doing a quick patent search, they've been applying for various related patents for at least 5 years.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

hilink73

Post by hilink73 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:35 pm

cdu7 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:55 am

Is this real? Is Lockheed Martin really one year away from a truck sized commercial fusion reactor!? If this is real, trillion dollar company doesn’t even begin to describe the upside potential. Anyone else hear about this?

The project was announced in 2013.
There's still doubt in the scientific community if this will work.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_ ... on_Reactor

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:49 pm

IMOP the comic xkcd did is appropriate here. https://xkcd.com/678/ Even after someone does a proof of concept test (which I've not heard of), it will be decades before the engineering and regulatory problems get solved and we have a working generating plant.
Lorne

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:07 pm

cdu7 wrote:

That company that cloned a sheep, do you remember its name?

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:16 pm

pangea33 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:18 pm
Lets hope so. They're the 8th ranked holding in my Vanguard Industrials fund.

I'm gambling that industrials will soar whether at peace or at war.
Ferengi Laws of Acquisition

#34: War is good for business.

#35: Peace is good for business.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Topic Author
cdu7

Post by cdu7 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:17 pm

tractorguy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:49 pm
IMOP the comic xkcd did is appropriate here. https://xkcd.com/678/ Even after someone does a proof of concept test (which I've not heard of), it will be decades before the engineering and regulatory problems get solved and we have a working generating plant.
You are probably right, but in this particular case I really hope you are wrong. This would make all our lives immeasurably better if they are able to bring it to market.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:19 pm

cdu7 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:17 pm
tractorguy wrote:
You are probably right, but in this particular case I really hope you are wrong. This would make all our lives immeasurably better if they are able to bring it to market.
It might make the stock market temporarily plunge if it happened because virtually the entire energy sector as we know it could collapse.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:07 pm
cdu7 wrote:

Wasn't it Dolly? (Being geographically close to Sevierville, TN, that name sticks in my mind for some reason...)
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Topic Author
cdu7

Post by cdu7 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:24 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:19 pm
cdu7 wrote:
tractorguy wrote:
It might make the stock market temporarily plunge if it happened because virtually the entire energy sector as we know it could collapse.
The key word there is temporary, since the economic growth in such an energy rich world would be astronomical. It would be like the early 20th century again, figuring out all the technological applications for oil.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:21 pm
Doing a quick patent search, they've been applying for various related patents for at least 5 years.
That means absolutely nothing. Patents get granted all the time for abstract, even frivolous "inventions". The applicant does not have to have a working model, the concept doesn't even have to be scientifically sound.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:26 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:23 pm
Pajamas wrote:
cdu7 wrote:

Wasn't it Dolly? (Being geographically close to Sevierville, TN, that name sticks in my mind for some reason...)
Dolly was the sheep. The group who did it was actually affiliated with the University of Edinburgh and the company PPL Therapeutics, a privately held firm.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:26 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:

No, Dolly was the name of the sheep, not the company that was involved. :P

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:27 pm

cdu7 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:24 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:19 pm
cdu7 wrote:
tractorguy wrote:
The key word there is temporary, since the economic growth in such an energy rich world would be astronomical. It would be like the early 20th century again, figuring out all the technological applications for oil.
Absolutely. Cheap, virtually unlimited energy is what we really need these days.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:29 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:26 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:

No, Dolly was the name of the sheep, not the company that was involved. :P
Sorry, I misread and thought that this was what the OP was asking about. :?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:30 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:27 pm
Absolutely. Cheap, virtually unlimited energy is what we really need these days.
We already have that. It's called the sun.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:34 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:30 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Sun = free.

Solar photovoltaic = expensive.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:37 pm

Fusion has a ton of upside, but it's not coming out of Lockheed in the next year.

There are many companies putting far, far more resources into fusion than Lockheed is. It is absurdly unlikely that their small R&D team knows something that none of the dedicated fusion companies don't know.

Sprinkle on top that almost every major engineering project runs over budget and behind schedule, and I'm putting my odds of Lockheed Martin cold fusion in 2019 at near zero.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Controlled, small-scale, non-explosive fusion has been just around the corner ever since the late 1950s.

Much was expected of cold fusion in the late 1980s. Fairly respectable stuff, Pons and Fleischmann were publishing in Science and other completely "real" peer-reviewed academic journals. Now, if you search for "cold fusion," everything you find is about rapid web application development, nary a word about palladium and tabletop fusion power.

I was wrong about a number of technologies that hung fire for decades and then did come true--"flat TV you can hang on a wall" among them, so, who knows this may be it.

In any case, world-changing technology breakthroughs do not automatically lead to fabulous stock investments. Xerox's development of everything important in modern personal computing (the mouse, the graphic user interface, WYSIWYG editing, Ethernet) is one obvious case in point.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Bendee

Post by Bendee » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:43 pm

tractorguy wrote:
Even after someone does a proof of concept test (which I've not heard of), it will be decades before the engineering and regulatory problems get solved and we have a working generating plant.
The latest estimates I've seen are 2050, although in fairness, I am basing that estimate solely on data from SimCity 2000. :P

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:09 pm

A former colleague got a patent on faster-than-light communication. I expressed some skepticism, saying that there were well-accepted arguments against it based on violation of causality. He replied, "They don't give patents for nothing, my friend." I did not have a good answer for that. I couldn't remember enough physics to argue.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 pm

ReadyOrNot wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:09 pm
A former colleague got a patent on faster-than-light communication. I expressed some skepticism, saying that there were well-accepted arguments against it based on violation of causality. He replied, "They don't give patents for nothing, my friend." I did not have a good answer for that. I couldn't remember enough physics to argue.
May be they do...
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... s-patents/

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:55 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:34 pm
Pajamas wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Sun = free.

Check the experience curves. PV is now down to cost competitive with other forms of electricity generation.

https://www.lazard.com/perspective/leve ... ergy-2017/

Utility scale PV is now down around the cost of gas, for Levelized Cost of Energy.

https://www.lazard.com/media/450337/laz ... on-110.pdf

The problem now is storage/ intermittency (the Lazard estimates don't include that, however the electric power system is a system, and if you have a diversity of supply sources, then the system can cope with one of them not producing/ producing at low output).

BigMoneyNoWhammies

Post by BigMoneyNoWhammies » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:59 pm

cdu7 wrote:

Keep in mind that just because they are attempting to patent the underlying technology, this does not mean that said technology is actually at the point where cost efficient production is possible. Once they get a functional, cost effective functional model, they'll probably come back and patent that product as well.

Swelfie

Post by Swelfie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:16 pm

ReadyOrNot wrote:
Oh, they do. I had a position where I was charged with bolstering a defensive portfolio. A few of us would pour scotch each Friday and "invent stuff." I have patents on a method of getting dressed, blimps... my patent on a cocktail wiener gattling gun was rejected, so there is some sanity.

Strangely enough, some of my patents actually came to fruition.

SGM

Post by SGM » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Lockheed Martin and Northrup Grumman were my last individual stock purchases and I have taken a little profit. I am not selling anymore individual stocks with LT capital gains and am mostly in index funds. I bought based on my judgement that defense stocks were ridiculously priced a few years ago and would likely go up so I strayed off the BH path a little. I don't know enough about whether they will be able to profit from this patent.

Maybe my luck will continue. 8-) I am not selling anything as I am sick of paying for LT capital gains. I am stuck paying taxes on stock fund dividends and that is enough for Uncle Sam.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Fusion is the power of the future! And always will be...

Hope I'm wrong :happy

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:55 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Pajamas wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Sun = free.

Check the experience curves. PV is now down to cost competitive with other forms of electricity generation.

Utility scale PV is now down around the cost of gas, for Levelized Cost of Energy.

The problem now is storage/ intermittency (the Lazard estimates don't include that, however the electric power system is a system, and if you have a diversity of supply sources, then the system can cope with one of them not producing/ producing at low output).
More to the point of the grid being a "system" -> they can do a fair job of predicting weather with respect to wind and solar output at least 24 hours in advance leaving the ability to configure the system to run smoothly with variable amounts of solar and wind. With enough electric vehicles and owners consenting to Vehicle to Grid, all the storage capacity needed would be available. I'd imagine they'd incentivize V2G with very low electricity rates for charging your vehicle (or maybe access to chargers throughout the city at very low rates).

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Pajamas wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Sun = free.

All true, but my point is that the idea of solar PV as being "cheap, virtually unlimited energy" isn't accurate.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:42 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:34 pm
Valuethinker wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Pajamas wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Sun = free.

All true, but my point is that the idea of solar PV as being "cheap, virtually unlimited energy" isn't accurate.
No details related to costs and output are available for Lockheed martin's supposed compact fusion reactor.

However, based on the stellerator and tokamak -> Fusion will not be cheap nor virtually unlimited any time soon.
Fusion will be best served for space vehicles where demands other than cheap reign.

For the foreseeable future, it appears that solar will continue to be cheaper than and also continue to displace all other sources of generation.

As far as cheap & virtually unlimited -> It takes only 2-3 years of solar energy production with a panel produced today to return back the total energy required to produce the PV cell in the first place. The following 25-27 years (expected life) is essentially "free energy" from an energy cost input point of view. (not even considering the fact that many of the oldest PV cells are still in operation at greater than 90% output after more than 30 years).

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:51 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 pm
ReadyOrNot wrote:
May be they do...
They don't give out patents for nothing -- there is a filing fee.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:51 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 pm
ReadyOrNot wrote:
May be they do...
They don't give out patents for nothing -- there is a filing fee.
Well, if they continue to pay their maintenance fees for a silly patent, I guess the USPTO can keep the lights on longer...

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:52 pm

Fusion is not the issue. There are many simple, relatively inexpensive ways to create fusion (Farnsworth Fusor, Polywell, etc.) with some form of Electrostatic containment. If you Google you can find an article about the 14 year old who demonstrated fusion in his basement with a Farnsworth device.

The issue is Beta > 1 (net power out). That is the holy grail.

The LM approach has potential, as does the Polywell. No one has demonstrated beta > 1 yet. Then it gets interesting...
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:00 pm

ReadyOrNot wrote:
...He replied, "They don't give patents for nothing, my friend." I did not have a good answer for that...
A lawyer obtained Patent US6368227B1 for sideways swinging.
A method of swing[ing] on a swing is disclosed, in which a user positioned on a standard swing suspended by two chains from a substantially horizontal tree branch induces side to side motion by pulling alternately on one chain and then the other.
Yes, that's right. Children have been doing this for a long time, but nobody thought to patent it.
...The present inventor has created, through experimentation on a standard swing, a new and improved method of swinging. The swing is of the type described above, in which a seat is suspended between two chains that are hung from a substantially horizontal tree branch. As is apparent to those of ordinary skill in the area of swinging, the chains could be replaced with ropes, cables, or the like, or the tree branch could be replaced with another substantially horizontal support such as a metal bar or pole....

The standard method of swinging on a swing is defined by oscillatory motion of the swing and the user along an axis that is substantially perpendicular to the axis of the tree branch from which the swing is suspended. This “forward and back” movement has been known for generations, and is illustrated in FIG. 1. In contrast to the conventional method of swinging, the present inventor has discovered that much greater satisfaction can be obtained by alternately pulling on one chain to move the swing and the user toward that side, and then pulling on the other chain to move the swing and the user toward that side. This side-to-side oscillatory motion of the swing and the user is thus along an axis that is substantially parallel to the axis of the tree branch from which the swing is suspended, and is illustrated in FIG. 2. This side to side swinging method has the added benefit that it can be continued for long periods of time simply by alternately pulling on one chain and then the other....

Licenses are available from the inventor upon request.
Unlike faster-than-light communication, this invention actually works.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:06 pm

I believe this falls into the category of interesting, if true. Best wishes for their success, but I don't think I'll change my approach to life, much less to investing, just yet.
Regards, | | Guy

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:16 pm

There are many companies working on fusion and eventually someone is going to succeed. I would be surprised if Lockheed was the company to do so, but regardless, when it happens, it will be a boon for all of humanity. Solar energy has a niche but it will never be a viable power source outside of the near solar system or on the scales required for modern society. For that reason, it is a dead end technology, a means to an end, just like fossil fuel today.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:23 pm

cdu7 wrote:

We're always 5 years away from figuring out this type of fusion it seems.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:43 pm

They should combine that with blockchain and come out with FusionCoin. What's next after a trillion?

Topic Author
cdu7

Post by cdu7 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:58 pm

All jokes aside, I really hope this is the real deal. I went on an online research binge and it looks like there are several other promising fusion projects (the one at MIT for staters). I know this thing has a history of disappointment, but heck once upon a time they were dumping gasoline in rivers as a “useless” byproduct of kerosine production. All our future fantasies these days seem to be the black mirror / social media / digital terror type. Let’s bring back the 1950s fusion powered flying car in every home dream. 8-)

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:05 pm

denovo wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:23 pm
cdu7 wrote:

The joke is we have been 10 years away for the past 30 years. And that was the joke 20 years ago in grad school. I haven't seen anything to suggest we are close(say a prototype that has run for 30 mins that just costs a 100 million) to the point where you can see a clear path to commericialization.

MnD

Post by MnD » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Pajamas wrote:
The Dolly Lambaaa
70/30 AA, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if FI <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:52 pm

randomguy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:05 pm
denovo wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:23 pm
cdu7 wrote:

The joke is we have been 10 years away for the past 30 years. And that was the joke 20 years ago in grad school. I haven't seen anything to suggest we are close(say a prototype that has run for 30 mins that just costs a 100 million) to the point where you can see a clear path to commericialization.
This isn’t Tokamak style magnetic containment (like ITER), which is always 20years from commercialization. This is compact, electrostatic containment. Tri-alpha is also in the mix.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Leo Szilard and Enrico Fermi patented the nuclear reactor in 1934. How many years did it take from patent to real-world application? The nuclear submarine Nautilus sailed in 1955; the first electrical power was generated from the Shippingport reactor in 1957. So, a bit more than twenty years.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:47 am

nisiprius wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:04 pm
Leo Szilard and Enrico Fermi patented the nuclear reactor in 1934. How many years did it take from patent to real-world application? The nuclear submarine Nautilus sailed in 1955; the first electrical power was generated from the Shippingport reactor in 1957. So, a bit more than twenty years.
Nothing like a world war to speed up development ;-).

Seriously, in science and especially aerospace and electronics, WW2 probably turned 10-15 years of development into 5. Maybe 20 years. The period of the 1920s & 30s saw major new developments in technology, and deployments, but WW2 gave us things like economic air travel.

So by that logic another World War will give us controlled nuclear fusion ;-).

There is an urgent need for this technology, but huge barriers to adoption. I remain ever hopeful, but not at all clear we will manage it. If it was easy, we would have done it. My perception of nuclear fission is that although the first pile was 1941 (?) there was 40 years of technology and development to get to that point. Had the pile melted down and contaminated Chicago, it might have taken still longer.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:18 am

MnD wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:14 pm
Pajamas wrote:
The Dolly Lambaaa
Very Clever!!