Invest in Tesla?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
linenfort

Re: Invest in Tesla?

Post by linenfort » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 am

Inframan4712 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:56 am
linenfort wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:37 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:34 am
Perhaps it's time for Elon to step down as CEO and put someone in charge who knows how to properly run a public company. I get that he's a "big ideas" guy who wants to change the world. That's fine. As CTO, he can do that, setting the direction of what Tesla is going to do.
<snip>
ha! Well said, and made me smile.
Do you have any examples in mind of companies where control was taken away from a visionary founder and given to a “grownup” CEO and that worked out? Because all I can think of is how Apple tanked after Jobs was thrown out.

I’ll take Musk and the very few like him every time.
Note that Jack mentioned Musk “still setting the direction of ...Tesla” while you compared that to Jobs being ousted outright. :(

A grownup at the helm and Musk supplying ideas- that’s a company I’d like to buy shares of. (I sold my TSLA well before he went full loon).
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:17 pm

If you want to invest a small percentage of your portfolio in Musk/Tesla, willing to accept its high risk/high reward profile, go right ahead and do so. Like Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies, it may turn into something quite valuable in a decade or two. On the other hand it could easily go to zero, complete loss of capital. Personally I have no special insight into whether or not Musk/Tesla or cryptocurrencies will make the dream come true or go broke. I avoid such bets except as they are held in broadly based index funds reflecting the market's balance of risk and reward. Mine is a less volatile and somewhat more predictable path than betting on Tesla which suits me fine. I don't believe in getting rich quick. I used to and got burned. Now I believe in getting rich slow.

Garland Whizzer

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:53 pm

CNN Money has really been picking up articles on Tesla recently. Here is today's which follows closely the topic being discussed in this thread:

It's time for Tesla to call in a grown-up to keep Elon Musk in check

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/16/news/c ... index.html

plumberboy

Post by plumberboy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:30 pm

financeperchance wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:30 pm
DanMahowny wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:14 am
We're now halfway through Q3. Does anybody really believe Elon's promise that Tesla will be profitable in Q3?

Why would anyone invest in a business that cannot make money?
Take a look at Amazon's income statement here, pretending like you don't know what company it's for:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... /e10-q.txt

That's for Q2 2000. (HINT: Q3 wasn't profitable either.)

Since you know how the movie ended for Amazon over the several years after that though, ask yourself again, why would anyone invest in a company like that, which at the time wasn't making money?
+1

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:16 pm

drk wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:14 pm
For those who don't get his newsletter, Matt Levine's special edition of Money Stuff on this nonsense is incredible:
But Musk’s second reason – “the quarterly earnings cycle that puts enormous pressure on Tesla to make decisions that may be right for a given quarter, but not necessarily right for the long-term” – is the silliest. Where does that pressure come from? Are there gamma rays of short-termism wafting through the public markets? If being public creates pressure to make short-term decisions, then surely that pressure has to come from public-market shareholders. There is something about those public shareholders – who tend to be relatively diversified, relatively hands-off, relatively passive and to have quarterly performance pressures from their own investors – that makes them concerned primarily with the short term. Whether or not you believe this, you can’t solve it by taking a company private and keeping all the same shareholders. If Tesla’s big shareholders – T. Rowe and Baillie Gifford and Fidelity and Tencent and Vanguard and BlackRock and Capital – are all myopically focused on the short term, then going private and keeping them as shareholders won’t solve anything. If they’re not, then there’s no need to go private.
I believe Michael Dell cited a similar reason as part of the justification for taking Dell private. In that case, there was very open and driven short-term activism at play, led by Carl Icahn.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Tesla have one the larger shares of individual investors among major US - a class collectively poor at thinking long term?

Doesn't taking the company private allow Tesla to introduce changes to the shareholder rights not allowed for publicly traded companies?

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 pm

linenfort wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 am
Inframan4712 wrote:
linenfort wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Perhaps it's time for Elon to step down as CEO and put someone in charge who knows how to properly run a public company. I get that he's a "big ideas" guy who wants to change the world. That's fine. As CTO, he can do that, setting the direction of what Tesla is going to do.
<snip>
Do you have any examples in mind of companies where control was taken away from a visionary founder and given to a “grownup” CEO and that worked out? Because all I can think of is how Apple tanked after Jobs was thrown out.

Note that Jack mentioned Musk “still setting the direction of ...Tesla” while you compared that to Jobs being ousted outright. :(

A grownup at the helm and Musk supplying ideas- that’s a company I’d like to buy shares of. (I sold my TSLA well before he went full loon).
Alas Apple's board tried that with John Scully, formerly of Pepsico, with Jobs along as the guru founder. Eventually they had to fire Jobs who went on to found Lisa (unsuccessful) and Pixar (very successful).

We've seen how that all worked out.

Visionaries often don't work well with "grownups" brought in to run things. Maybe it worked at Google.

ofckrupke

Post by ofckrupke » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:21 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 pm

Alas Apple's board tried that with John Scully, formerly of Pepsico, with Jobs along as the guru founder. Eventually they had to fire Jobs who went on to found Lisa NeXT (unsuccessful) and Pixar (very successful).

FIFY (Lisa preceded Macintosh).
Whether Lisa or NeXT, probably say silicon-valley style success in that while not a success as originally delivered, the core software technology subsequently morphed/was shoehorned into a product line that ensured Apple's future (Lisa -> Macintosh, NeXTStep APIs over BSD -> OS X).

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:34 pm

usk
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Perhaps it's time for Elon to step down as CEO and put someone in charge who knows how to properly run a public company. I get that he's a "big ideas" guy who wants to change the world. That's fine. As CTO, he can do that, setting the direction of what Tesla is going to do. He needs someone to grab his phone and smash it against a wall, hand him an old analog flip phone to make phone calls and nuke his twitter account from a space-X rocket. Have a senior lawyer review every single thing he plans to publicly say and censor the stupid, random thoughts. Perhaps when the Saudis take over, they'll force this.....after they build a car and battery factory in the
Hopefully, before anything too drastic is attempted to control Musk's recent behavior, the cause(s) of it can be determined. There are reports of extreme overwork and lack of sleep, even of possible mental disorders. An excellent NYT article on Musk, including comparison to Jobs and the nature of entrepreneurs, answers a question put by some: is he crazy?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/opin ... eft-region
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

drk

Post by drk » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:21 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:16 pm
I believe Michael Dell cited a similar reason as part of the justification for taking Dell private. In that case, there was very open and driven short-term activism at play, led by Carl Icahn.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Tesla have one the larger shares of individual investors among major US - a class collectively poor at thinking long term?

Doesn't taking the company private allow Tesla to introduce changes to the shareholder rights not allowed for publicly traded companies?
You should read the whole piece because I would just be rehashing points that Matt Levine made, but I'll quote a pair of things relevant to your questions. First:
Will a majority of Tesla shareholders approve of Musk’s “going-private” plan but turn down his offer of money, preferring to stay in the stock as it goes private? Well, I dunno, maybe. His shareholders do seem to be loyal. Certainly Musk’s super-fan retail shareholders would if they could, but it is still not at all obvious that Tesla will be able to turn itself into a private company that is still open to public retail shareholders. The basic structure of U.S. securities law is that companies can sell shares to the general public if and only if they comply with the requirements of being public companies. Musk doesn’t think that those laws should apply to him, but I am not sure that the regulators will agree.
And second:
Here is the other thing about Musk’s plan to go private while keeping all the same shareholders. It makes no sense. Usually when a CEO wants to take his company private, it’s because he wants to change something. One thing that usually changes is leverage; a going-private transaction normally involves borrowing a lot of money to juice the equity returns of the company, something that is obviously not a consideration here. (“I do not think it would be wise to burden Tesla with significantly increased debt,” blogged Musk, correctly.)
An essential difference between Dell and Musk is that the former had, uh, funding secured (from partners in this reality). Oh, and Dell actually made money.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 pm

Interview with NYTimes (David Gelles, James B. Stewart, Jessica Silver-Greenberg and Kate Kelly):
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/busi ... tesla.html
Elon Musk was at home in Los Angeles, struggling to maintain his composure. “This past year has been the most difficult and painful year of my career,” he said. “It was excruciating.”

The year has only gotten more intense for Mr. Musk, the chairman and chief executive of the electric-car maker Tesla, since he abruptly declared on Twitter last week that he hoped to convert the publicly traded company into a private one. The episode kicked off a furor in the markets and within Tesla itself, and he acknowledged on Thursday that he was fraying.

At multiple points in an hourlong interview with The New York Times, he choked up, noting that he nearly missed his brother’s wedding this summer and spent his birthday holed up in Tesla’s offices as the company raced to meet elusive production targets on a crucial new model.

Asked if the exhaustion was taking a toll on his physical health, Mr. Musk answered: “It’s not been great, actually. I’ve had friends come by who are really concerned.”

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:28 pm

The Bogleheads® Philosophy
1. Develop a workable plan
2. Invest early and often
3. Never bear too much or too little risk
4. Never try to time the market
5. Use index funds when possible
6. Keep costs low
7. Diversify
8. Minimize taxes
9. Keep it simple
10. Stay the course
♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 pm

TSLA jumped to about $379 following Elon's tweet. It's now $307. I suppose if we don't believe Elon's lying, then it would make complete sense to buy in and simply wait for that $420 offer to come along.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

financeperchance

Post by financeperchance » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:28 pm

I only have a small amount in Tesla (part of the mad money portion of my portfolio), but I'm coming around to the view that the ship could be going down after all, particularly with the NYT admission today of Elon abusing Ambien and other unspecified drugs.

From a business standpoint, this piece at Seeking Alpha is particularly damning:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/420022 ... on-holders

It looks likely that Tesla is selling only about 2,000 Model 3s per week.

The debt maturities coming due soon are scary.

Thinking of dumping my shares next week and just putting the proceeds into VTI. Maybe stock picking is not for me. :oops:

financeperchance

Post by financeperchance » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 pm
TSLA jumped to about $379 following Elon's tweet. It's now $307. I suppose if we don't believe Elon's lying, then it would make complete sense to buy in and simply wait for that $420 offer to come along.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's don't fight the wisdom of crowds. Right now the market is assuming almost no chance of the $420 buyout.

The best case scenario is a new CEO coming on board soon (Sheryl Sandburg or the like), settling the SEC crap fast, doing a capital raise, and going from there.

There might be a huge stock drop since a lot of people are in because of the cult of Elon, but at least the company would avoid Chapter 11 and the stock would probably recover eventually.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:39 pm

financeperchance wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:35 pm
The best case scenario is a new CEO coming on board soon (Sheryl Sandburg or the like), settling the SEC crap fast, doing a capital raise, and going from there. ...
But will Musk allow it? Can he give up some control and work that closely with someone? Can he be forced to? Who will force it and how? Stay tuned...
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

drk

Post by drk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:29 pm

Fallible wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:39 pm
But will Musk allow it? Can he give up some control and work that closely with someone? Can he be forced to? Who will force it and how? Stay tuned...
There's nothing for him to allow. He's just the CEO, not the controlling shareholder. He reports to the board, which is, granted, filled with Musk lackeys. The threat of shareholder lawsuits (and SEC actions) tends to offer decent motivation, though.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:17 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 pm
Apple...Tesla...Jobs...Musk

Alas Apple's board tried that with John Scully, formerly of Pepsico, with Jobs along as the guru founder. Eventually they had to fire Jobs who went on to found Lisa (unsuccessful) and Pixar (very successful).

Visionaries often don't work well with "grownups" brought in to run things. Maybe it worked at Google.
A fair point. You have to have the right recipe. From an investing standpoint, it may feel a gamble, even with someone more conventional and level-headed at the helm.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

financeperchance

Post by financeperchance » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:14 pm

New Youtube interview has already gotten 2 million views in just 1 day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MevKTPN4ozw&t=57s

Elon is cool again! Look for a pop on Monday based on that.

This is after the stock was down 10% on Friday because Elon cried.

Then of course the stock was up 10% in one day a couple weeks ago because Elon apologized to a couple of analysts.

So much craziness...

cj2018

Post by cj2018 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:44 am

financeperchance wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Then of course the stock was up 10% in one day a couple weeks ago because Elon apologized to a couple of analysts.

So much craziness...
I was also watching this new interview. Elon and by extension Tesla are doing great work!

Haters are gonna hate. Tesla shouldn't have gone public at all and should've stayed private just like other disruptive tech businesses such as Uber (who by the way loses hundred of millions on a quarterly basis) or Airbnb to avoid the unnecessary regulatory burden and distracted shorters or lousy media reporting that mostly serve no productive purposes other than generating stupid headlines.

I will say this again, people who actually drive Model X or 3, and individual stockholders, are extremely happy with the product and the mission and progress company has made so far.

Anyone who doesn't either own Tesla car or directly Tesla stock simply has no business commenting on the affair of the company - you have no dog in this fight!

For those who aren't happy or are easily swung by lousy media reports, can you please just sell the stock already and quit whining about the company? Clearly you don't understand the business enough to justify the holding so might as well sell it to people who get it. I'd be happy to take the shares off your account. Thanks!

oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:11 am

cj2018 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:44 am
financeperchance wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:14 pm

So much craziness...
I was also watching this new interview. Elon and by extension Tesla are doing great work!

Haters are gonna hate. Tesla shouldn't have gone public at all and should've stayed private just like other disruptive tech businesses such as Uber (who by the way loses hundred of millions on a quarterly basis) or Airbnb to avoid the unnecessary regulatory burden and distracted shorters or lousy media reporting that mostly serve no productive purposes other than generating stupid headlines.

I will say this again, people who actually drive Model X or 3, and individual stockholders, are extremely happy with the product and the mission and progress company has made so far.

Anyone who doesn't either own Tesla car or directly Tesla stock simply has no business commenting on the affair of the company - you have no dog in this fight!

For those who aren't happy or are easily swung by lousy media reports, can you please just sell the stock already and quit whining about the company? Clearly you don't understand the business enough to justify the holding so might as well sell it to people who get it. I'd be happy to take the shares off your account. Thanks!
Well said.
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:16 am

Inframan4712 wrote:
linenfort wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Perhaps it's time for Elon to step down as CEO and put someone in charge who knows how to properly run a public company. I get that he's a "big ideas" guy who wants to change the world. That's fine. As CTO, he can do that, setting the direction of what Tesla is going to do. He needs someone to grab his phone and smash it against a wall, hand him an old analog flip phone to make phone calls and nuke his twitter account from a space-X rocket. Have a senior lawyer review every single thing he plans to publicly say and censor the stupid, random thoughts. Perhaps when the Saudis take over, they'll force this.....after they build a car and battery factory in the Kingdom.

Google (Eric Schmidt)
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

matjen

Post by matjen » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:39 am

cj2018 wrote:

oragne lovre wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:11 am
Well said.

I have noticed a fascinating trend in these various Tesla threads. Tesla supporters continually try and quiet any detractors by claiming company performance is off topic, or not owning an actual Tesla means you don't have standing to comment, or by claiming that if you don't actually own the stock you don't have standing to comment or that somehow your analysis isn't of as much value. Financials, investigations, quality concerns, Solar City, drug use be damned. Quite sad actually. Kind of a bag holder thing to do.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bag-holder.asp
Example of a Bag Holder
Suppose that an investor purchases 100 shares of a newly public tech start-up. While the share price briefly rises during the initial public offering (IPO), it quickly drops as analysts begin to question the business model. The subsequent earnings results show that the business model is struggling, and the stock price continues to fall. The investor that chooses to ignore the deteriorating indicators and continue to hold the stock is a bag holder.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:59 am

cj2018 wrote:

This is hilarious. You're on a forum organized around owning low-cost, broad-market index funds. Nearly all of us own Tesla in some respect.
cj2018 wrote:
I agree completely. As an investor in public markets, I don't really care about fraudulent companies taking advantage of foolish venture capitalists (and those who want to play the part).

drk

Post by drk » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:00 pm

matjen wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:39 am
I have noticed a fascinating trend in these various Tesla threads. Tesla supporters continually try and quiet any detractors by claiming company performance is off topic, or not owning an actual Tesla means you don't have standing to comment, or by claiming that if you don't actually own the stock you don't have standing to comment or that somehow your analysis isn't of as much value. Financials, investigations, quality concerns, Solar City, drug use be damned. Quite sad actually. Kind of a bag holder thing to do.
This isn't new. It's just a remix of Lehman and Enron.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:05 pm

matjen wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:39 am
cj2018 wrote:

oragne lovre wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:11 am
Well said.

Evangelists gotta preach.
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

financeperchance

Post by financeperchance » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:36 pm

There's gotten to be too many personal attacks here, so I'll bow out after this final comment.

Each side is 100% certain they are correct, but really the future is unknowable and it's probably more like 50/50. See Charlie Munger's interview here for probably the best analysis I've ever seen of Elon and Tesla:
https://youtu.be/TRsZHwXfWnY?t=5m28s

cj2018

Post by cj2018 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:12 pm

drk wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:59 am

This is hilarious. You're on a forum organized around owning low-cost, broad-market index funds. Nearly all of us own Tesla in some respect.
cj2018 wrote:
I agree completely. As an investor in public markets, I don't really care about fraudulent companies taking advantage of foolish venture capitalists (and those who want to play the part).
Well, I'm glad someone finally pointed that out! As broad market index fund investors, why care so much about one single company? Who cares if it's fraudulent or if the CEO wants to take it private? What's so special about Tesla that grabs so much attention on this forum that focuses on passive investing?

Moderator should lock this thread since it's not actionable for BHs who invest in the market, not individual securities. This thread will just invite unwanted attacks and meaningless debate - this kind of conversation belongs on Twitter.

Let the foolish stock pickers or foolish VC/PEs bear the risk of owning such crazy founder-led company.

Cheers.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:17 pm

I used to think that the smartest people in the world could do what was IMPOSSIBLE.

I know think that the smartest people in the world can do what is POSSIBLE.

Part of being smart is knowing how to:
- manage expectations, and not overpromise,
- work smarter, not harder,
- not give into critics and detractors,
- understand that going slowly is better sometimes than burning out,
- that blaming others (or other things) for your problems is not the way to go,
- operate in whack-a-mole is not a way to scale things up.

It appears that Musk has struck out on many of the above points.
Blaming Ambien for his B/S is clearly a low point (although calling a diver who saved kid's lives in Thailand pedo could be considered even lower).
The only question is how much lower he can go.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:18 pm

cj2018 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:12 pm
Who cares if it's fraudulent or if the CEO wants to take it private?
The only part that I care about Tesla going private is this:
- say, they go private at $60B,
- then return to public at $400B.

That would be just foolish of indices to sell at $60B and buy back at $400B.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

drk

Post by drk » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:30 pm

cj2018 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:12 pm
Who cares if it's fraudulent
:oops:

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:32 pm

I removed a number of off-topic posts, continuity is lost. This thread has run its course and is locked (derailed, contentious). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.