[Vanguard sends out erroneous "not enough money in settlement fund" notice]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
miles monroe

Re: Concerns with Vanguard

Post by miles monroe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:13 pm

dave1054 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:15 am

I really do love Vanguard. They do not have to worry about their stock price like Schwab or enrich
their owners like Fidelity. However, ....

2. With all my assets in cyberspace, does anyone else on forum have concerns about security?
3. Is anyone switching out of Vanguard or is this the usual common complaints of investors?
i've written this elsewhere, but since the question is specifically asked..

here is schwabs fraud guarantee:

Schwab will cover 100% of any losses in any of your Schwab accounts due to unauthorized activity.

now go and read vanguards...

i haven't transferred the 70% of my portfolio that is at vanguard yet -- but i'm close.

Post by 2015 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:20 pm

Never had a problem with Vanguard. If I were dissatisfied I wouldn't be wasting my time engaging in activities like complaining here (which feels like taking action but in actuality produces no meaningful results). I'd be more productive and focus on outcomes by moving my money elsewhere (which I just happily did with both my HOA and umbrella insurance products).

blackcat allie

Re: Vanguard "system issue" 3/27/18

Post by blackcat allie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Indeed, hopefully not a security issue. Not too familiar with data systems, but I imagine there is overlap between security issues and system errors.
“Nothing in life is as important as you think it is while you are thinking about it.” - Daniel Kahneman

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:31 pm

1. Are they getting too large to service their customers?
Service? I am confident they can maintain our accounts accurately and with integrity. I require very little assistance or hand holding, but on the few occasions when I did need some help, they put up road blocks and make things harder instead of helping. They sent me a survey about a year ago. I told them that and gave examples. I also told them as a recent retiree, I was considering moving my 401k to Fidelity due to Vanguard's poor customer service. I did receive a personal letter (by US mail) from a manager. He cited details of my issues that let me know he looked into them. Basically he said what I experienced was, in one case an employee error and the other cases were in accordance with their policies and the way they do business. As a result, I ended up moving my 401k to Fidelity. It seldom happens, but occasionally I have been locked out of credit card accounts due to fraudulent activities, and I think it is a good idea to have money somewhere else in case my Vanguard account would ever be temporarily locked.
2. With all my assets in cyberspace, does anyone else on forum have concerns about security?
Not at all. I worry more about me causing a security hole than with Vanguard.
3. Is anyone switching out of Vanguard or is this the usual common complaints of investors?
I am not switching out any funds I have at Vanguard. I don't know how many investors have complaints about Vanguard.
4. Sometimes I wish I could just walk into an office and complain to someone in person. Others feel this way?
No, I have no desire to go into any bricks and mortar building. I closed my local bank accounts too and bank online.

From the tone and content of your post, I am thinking you might be happier dealing with a firm that has a local office in your area.

Side note: I thought Vanguard's web site was weak until I used Fidelity's I find really confusing.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:43 pm

dave1054 wrote:
I have been a happy customer of Vanguard for 20 plus years. I have never had an issue with them.
However, I am alittle concerned with the stream of negative comments lately about their services.
The computer glitch this morning is actually the first time they raised my blood pressure.
What happened? I haven't looked at Vanguard for a week or so.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:48 pm

dave1054 wrote:
I have been a happy customer of Vanguard for 20 plus years. I have never had an issue with them.
However, I am alittle concerned with the stream of negative comments lately about their services.
The computer glitch this morning is actually the first time they raised my blood pressure.

I really do love Vanguard. They do not have to worry about their stock price like Schwab or enrich

1. Are they getting too large to service their customers?
4. Sometimes I wish I could just walk into an office and complain to someone in person. Others feel this way?
1.Don't know if they are getting "too big" and what that means as far as my assets go.

2.Never think about security .
3.Never considered switching out of Vanguard
4.Have never found a need to complain "In person".Email or phone call has always been sufficient in resolving any matters,,but it has been many years.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:50 pm

There was a problem since last year that remained unfixed on their web site. The total account value in Account Overview can be different than the total displayed in Balances & Holdings. Often I have no idea which one is correct.

Another annoying thing is that Vanguard does not display my individual bonds' yield to maturity data.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:59 pm

miles monroe wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:13 pm
dave1054 wrote:

i've written this elsewhere, but since the question is specifically asked..

here is schwabs fraud guarantee:

Schwab will cover 100% of any losses in any of your Schwab accounts due to unauthorized activity.

now go and read vanguards...

i haven't transferred the 70% of my portfolio that is at vanguard yet -- but i'm close.
I took you up on your offer.

It looks pretty identical to Vanguards.

Schwab's fine print:
To ensure your protection under this guarantee, it is your responsibility to:

Safeguard your account access information.1 If you share this information with anyone, we’ll consider their activities to have been authorized by you.
Report any unauthorized transactions to us as quickly as possible.2 If you suspect you are a victim of fraud, please contact us immediately at 888-3-SCHWAB.
1. "Account access information" includes your login ID, password, or any other information used by Schwab to authenticate you; as well as payment devices such as credit cards, debit cards and checks. We may hold you responsible if we determine that you shared this information, or unauthorized activity was caused by your fraudulent conduct or gross negligence.

2. Reimbursement under the guarantee requires your timely reporting of unauthorized activity to Schwab. Schwab will not be liable for additional or increased losses resulting from a failure to report unauthorized activity in a timely manner. Different transactions have different reporting deadlines. More details are available in your account agreements, statements and trade confirmations.

3. “Authorized” refers to transactions and other activity initiated by third parties (who are not Schwab employees or Schwab companies), including the employees or agents of any business or any investment advisor to whom you have granted authority of any type over your account, including, for example, the authority to manage your account, or the authority to act under any other power of attorney you may have granted. Authorized actions also include activity initiated by your employer, your plan trustee (other than Schwab Bank), your third party plan administrator (other than Schwab Retirement Plan Services, Inc. or Schwab Retirement Plan Services Company) and their employees, representatives or agents that have access to your Employee Benefit Plan Account. Schwab will also not be liable for the failure of those third parties to safeguard your information or access to your account.

Vanguard's
Your responsibilities
At a minimum, in order for this protection to apply, you must take the following steps:
Review your accounts regularly.

Check your account frequently. Promptly and completely review all information we send you.
Report any errors or discrepancies in your account and any suspected unauthorized transactions or account changes to Vanguard immediately.

Protect your Vanguard.com user name, password, and other account-related information.

Make sure your user name, password, and answers to your security questions are unique and strong.
Never share your user name, password, or other account-related information with anyone.
Never store your user name, password, or answers to security questions in your browser.
Clear any temporarily stored copies of online information by closing your browser after signing off. Do not leave your computer unattended while logged on to Vanguard.com.

Protect your computer.

Make certain that any computer you use to access Vanguard.com has up-to-date security and anti-spyware, antivirus, and firewall software.

Do not reply to e-mail requests for personal or financial information.

Do not respond to, open an attachment in, or click on a link within an e-mail if you suspect the message is fraudulent. Vanguard will not ask for personal information such as your Social Security number, account numbers, or passwords in an e-mail.

Cooperate with us and stay informed.

Cooperate fully with Vanguard in investigating and prosecuting any unauthorized activity in your account, and follow our recommendations about how to protect your account. We may require you to file a police report, complete a notarized affidavit, or permit access to your computer.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:01 pm

Tyler Aspect wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:50 pm
There was a problem since last year that remained unfixed on their web site. The total account value in Account Overview can be different than the total displayed in Balances & Holdings. Often I have no idea which one is correct.
I have noticed that. The difference is pretty small though. They always seem to come into agreement over time, but I don't know this for a fact.

MFInvestor

Re: Vanguard "system issue" 3/27/18 [erroneous "not enough money in settlement fund" notice]

Post by MFInvestor » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:17 pm

I just logged on and the following message is posted:

Your money market settlement balance may be displaying inaccurately

Your settlement fund may be inaccurately showing a zero balance below. Click on your account to view your correct balance on the Balances and Holdings page. We apologize for any inconvenience as we work to resolve this issue.

All my balances appear correct and I did not place any trades yesterday.

Interesting choice of words: may be inaccurately showing a zero balance below.

dduke12

Post by dduke12 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:29 pm

I got the same message....so I stopped what I was doing, and moved money into my account....if I would have known, I would have not done a thing.

Very Frustrating.

I wish Vanguard would send out an email stating their mistake.

Maybe to make it up for us, they will give us some free trades? HAHA

Moving to Fidelity or Schwab.

heyeaglefn

Post by heyeaglefn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:02 pm

If something like this is enough to move your money to another place then you were probably looking to do it anyway.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:10 pm

heyeaglefn wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:02 pm
If something like this is enough to move your money to another place then you were probably looking to do it anyway.
Agreed. I didn't even know there was a Vanguard glitch today until reading it here.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:12 pm

I got another chucklE-mail from them yesterday informing me that I was eligible and am encouraged to upgrade to a brokerage account. I did not receive today's e-mail that others did. I hope everything gets resolved quickly for those who did.

I am happy with my current agreement with Vanguard that we leave each other alone as much as possible.

Paul Romano

Re: Vanguard "system issue" 3/27/18 [erroneous "not enough money in settlement fund" notice]

Post by Paul Romano » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:18 pm

This is alarming.

I just logged into my account for the first time today and my Federal Money Market is showing a balance of zero instead of $200,000.

The cumulative value of all of my accounts is also off by $200,000.

When I go to the Balances and Holdings page the $200,000 is listed.

I then noticed the following message on the Vanguard website:

Your settlement fund may be inaccurately showing a zero balance below. Click on your account to view your correct balance on the Balances and Holdings page. We apologize for any inconvenience as we work to resolve this issue.

Paul Romano

Post by Paul Romano » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:20 pm

This is alarming.

I just logged into my account for the first time today and my Federal Money Market is showing a balance of zero instead of $200,000.

The cumulative value of all of my accounts is also off by $200,000.

When I go to the Balances and Holdings page the $200,000 is listed.

I then noticed the following message on the Vanguard website:

snowman

Post by snowman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:31 pm

I got the same email this morning too, sure raised my blood pressure instantly! Not enough money in my money market account - either transfer funds in immediately, or Vanguard will sell some of my securities.

I called right away, pressed the number to be called back due to high call volume. When the phone rang and I picked up, there was silence there and the call got disconnected.

So I called again, this time staying on the line. When it was finally my turn, the call got dropped.

So I called third time, waiting on hold. When I finally got to speak to CS, the guy said right away there is enough money in my account and there is nothing to worry about. I asked him how he knows for sure without even looking at my account. He said the last 25 calls were the same - system glitch, not to worry.

I only have few small accounts at Vanguard, and I am not moving them out, but I sure would be in no hurry to bring major money in. This morning experience was not confidence inspiring!

Rzabakster

Post by Rzabakster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:16 pm

We should all call Vanguard and let them know it's unacceptable. That's what im doing. Enough people call they will change. I think this is a wake up call.

StrangePenguin

Post by StrangePenguin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:17 pm

I posted in this thread earlier and reported that Vanguard had put a pending transaction on my Prime MM fund. I'm relieved to see that that transaction is now in the Cancelled state (I contacted a rep by phone but I didn't ask him to take any action after he assured me everything was ok). So hopefully they are fixing this issue before any damage is done (except perhaps to customer confidence).

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:20 pm

I had no idea that bogleheads we're such active traders.

MFInvestor

Post by MFInvestor » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:43 pm

Article on this issue:

Vanguard wrestles with new service problems
Tech glitch sends out erroneous emails to retail customers

http://www.investmentnews.com/article/ ... e-problems
Vanguard investors complained Monday about getting erroneous messages about not having enough money in their settlement accounts to make trades.

On the Bogleheads.org message board Monday, about a dozen Vanguard investors complained about the same issue. Others complained that the balances displayed on the Vanguard homepage were substantially below their actual balances, which were accurate on other parts of the Vanguard website.

"Some retail clients received an email in error reporting insufficient funds in their brokerage settlement accounts," said Vanguard spokesman John Woerth. "We expect to resolve the issue shortly and apologize to clients for any undue concern. No action is required on the part of affected clients."

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Sent 4 minutes ago:

Important message about this morning's email
Dear ________,

You may have received an email from us this morning stating that "You don't have enough money to pay for a recent trade" in your Vanguard Brokerage Account. This email was sent to you in error.

You don't need to take any action. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

We strive to provide you with the best service possible and thank you for belonging to the Vanguard community of investors.

Not sure if it matters, but I had a pending trade today that did go through. Balances seem fine.

MFInvestor

Post by MFInvestor » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:48 pm

Article on this issue:

There is also another set of posts on this issue under the following listing:

Vanguard "system issue" 3/27/18 [erroneous "not enough money in settlement fund" notice

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=245408&newpost=3850 ... ead#unread

Vanguard wrestles with new service problems
Tech glitch sends out erroneous emails to retail customers

http://www.investmentnews.com/article/ ... e-problems
Vanguard investors complained Monday about getting erroneous messages about not having enough money in their settlement accounts to make trades.

On the Bogleheads.org message board Monday, about a dozen Vanguard investors complained about the same issue. Others complained that the balances displayed on the Vanguard homepage were substantially below their actual balances, which were accurate on other parts of the Vanguard website.

"Some retail clients received an email in error reporting insufficient funds in their brokerage settlement accounts," said Vanguard spokesman John Woerth. "We expect to resolve the issue shortly and apologize to clients for any undue concern. No action is required on the part of affected clients."

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:04 pm

While Vanguard's mistake left me scrambling to check my account at work this morning, I don't believe it's a big deal. Vanguard customer service was aware it was erroneous, which is important.

I had a similar issue at Ally in the past, and customer service was not aware it was a mistake. Not good. :( I've also experienced a couple of account issues at libraries over the years over lost books, and it was their mistake both times.

We live in an imperfect world.

dave1054

Discrepancy in Account Overview and Balances and Holdings

Post by dave1054 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:05 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Does anyone know why the Account overview balance is totally different than the total balance under Balances and Holdings on Vanguard website?

bayview

Re: Discrepancy in Account Overview and Balances and Holdings

Post by bayview » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:11 pm

It's been going on several days for us. In our case, it seems connected to a new brokerage account. There's an apologetic message when I log on.

I found that Account Overview is missing a fund. When I go to B&H, it shows up, and then when I go back to Account Overview, it now shows there. Until it doesn't.

This is why I keep track of my #'s of shares...

edit to add: when the $$ from the missing fund does show up, it's not in the settlement fund, which is where it's supposed to be. It's just... there. Not assigned (per the screen) to any fund. Rather disconcerting, but I'm waiting it out.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

zengolf2011

Post by zengolf2011 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:17 pm

I have entrusted my investments to Vanguard for more than two decades. I have never had a customer service issue. I, too, have seen my accounts misrepresented by this glitch. I believe it will be good in the end, and that this sort of thing could happen with any investment company today -- indeed, with any human institution today. I trust they will fix it, and will remain patient until they do.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:27 pm

I have seen this before. I think the balances and holdings update at 8PM and the account summary updates at market open the next morning or something like that.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

youngpleb

Post by youngpleb » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 pm

I called them twice today to make sure my 401k (which is through Vanguard) was ok to do a mega backdoor roth with. The first person I spoke to rebuffed me 3 times, claiming that $18,500 is the contribution limit for pre-tax, Roth, AND post-tax contributions...so I bid him goodbye and called back 10 mins later. The second person I spoke to actually took the time to put me on hold twice and go research the process, and it turns out I CAN do a mega backdoor roth.

So yeah, I'm a little concerned about Vanguard too at the moment. I mean, how can a person who only helps callers with their 401ks not know the basics? :confused

bayview

Post by bayview » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:30 pm

David Jay wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:27 pm
I have seen this before. I think the balances and holdings update at 8PM and the account summary updates at market open the next morning or something like that.
I hope that it is fixed in the morning. However, it has happened all day, both days, throughout the day.

(I don't normally live on the VG site, but DH has a new brokerage account, and I'm trying to figure out how it works, plus pick up some brokered CD's. Bad timing, lol. :P )
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

bayview

Post by bayview » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:32 pm

youngpleb wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 pm
I called them twice today to make sure my 401k (which is through Vanguard) was ok to do a mega backdoor roth with. The first person I spoke to rebuffed me 3 times, claiming that $18,500 is the contribution limit for pre-tax, Roth, AND post-tax contributions...so I bid him goodbye and called back 10 mins later. The second person I spoke to actually took the time to put me on hold twice and go research the process, and it turns out I CAN do a mega backdoor roth.

So yeah, I'm a little concerned about Vanguard too at the moment. I mean, how can a person who only helps callers with their 401ks not know the basics? :confused
Well, in fairness, I doubt that very many people outside of BH would consider a mega backdoor roth "the basics." :P

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:37 pm

I am not talking about the current issues, I have experienced this in months past. It clears itself up in the Morning, check back at about 10 AM.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 pm

This has ALWAYS been the case. See, for example,
viewtopic.php?p=3405439#p3405439
and
viewtopic.php?p=2462616#p2462616
and

I cannot find found the post where I did screen captures and figured out that Vanguard doesn't update Vanguard ETF closing prices for some of its web pages. Found it: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137689

My experience is that one can get the same numbers only about an hour or two before the next market open. That means that if one is using the weekend to figure out any rebalancing moves, then one has stale data until early Monday morning if the market will be open Monday or early Tuesday morning if the Monday is a holiday and the market is open on Tuesday.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

learninginvestor

Post by learninginvestor » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 pm

After today's issue with incorrect Settlement Fund balances, someone in the News area of the Vanguard Personal Investors website either has a wry sense of humor--- or horrible timing:

(Article dated March 27, 2018)
Stashing cash in a bank account? Why you should think about money market funds.
:oops:

tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:06 pm

I got the same email message this morning. I called and rep answered immediately. He said it was an error on their part and not to worry about it. We exchanged pleasantries. I hung up and went about my day. Not a big deal to me.

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:28 pm

youngpleb wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 pm

Uh, this is fascinating. Last year, after being passed around from one no-nothing to another over the course of a week i was told by Vanguard that Vanguard did not have the mechanism in place to support the in service withdraw. So I am fascinated that now they are telling you that they can.

But for what is is worth. Vanguard repeatedly told me that there was no RMD on a Roth 401k.

Always passive

Post by Always passive » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:52 pm

I have no experience with Vanguard, but I have a Fidelity account for 30 years where all my assets are kept. I hold all types of investments, from Vanguard to Pimco ETFs, to individual CDs and TIPS, and they have been absolutely perfect. Never have I had a problem with them. At the same time I have clients (non Americans) in big US banks, Swiss banks, and Israeli banks, and there is no comparison. Fidelity is king.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Vanguard sends out erroneous "not enough money in settlement fund" notice]

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:55 pm

I merged several threads into here and retitled the thread. The combined thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (news).

FYI - The merge broke the link to this thread from InvestmentNews.com's article Vanguard wrestles with new service problems. Sorry about that.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

GreatOdinsRaven

Re: Vanguard "system issue" 3/27/18

Post by GreatOdinsRaven » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:07 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:37 am
Another example that confirms the old saying of "don't put all your eggs in one basket!"
+1. I have a Vanguard account, another record keeper account for my 401(k) and TD Ameritrade. Thinking about opening a Schwab account in the near future...
"The greatest enemies of the equity investor are expenses and emotions." -John C. Bogle, Little Book of Common Sense Investing. | | "Winter is coming." Lord Eddard Stark.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 pm

Fidelity issued a margin call to me that made absolutely no sense. I called and the "active trader" rep I spoke to was as dumbfounded as I was. He told me to ignore it. I said "put that in writing and I will." He did.

SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:36 pm

Took it for what it was. A minor glitch and an anomaly that happened. It was corrected in no time.

SeeMoe.. :oops:
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}

Dan999

Post by Dan999 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:07 am

I have been a loyal customer of Vanguard for over 20 years. No issues other than an occasional account missing from by summary of fund balances.
But today I logged on and my account total is $715,00 more that is really is.
Wow, wish IT were true.
They show an unsettled amount in my brokerage account and also show the settled amount in my Brokerage Prime Money Market account.
I moved all my funds to Vanguard a couple of years ago for simplicity. This makes me wonder if I did the right thing.
Anyway, I will stay with Vanguard, because at this point, I see no logical alternative to keep my costs down.

Edit, I logged in at 1:18 and the amounts are correct. It still does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling when these things occur.
Why would you not post all transaction at once and overnight, so the next morning we see correct balances.
Sad..
Last edited by Dan999 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan999

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:32 am

Dan999 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:07 am
I have been a loyal customer of Vanguard for over 20 years. No issues other than an occasional account missing from by summary of fund balances.
But today I logged on and my account total is $715,00 more that is really is.
Wow, wish I were true.
They show an unsettled amount in my brokerage account and also show the settled amount in my Brokerage Prime Money Market account.
I moved all my funds to Vanguard a couple of years ago for simplicity. This makes me wonder if I did the right thing.
Anyway, I will stay with Vanguard, because at this point, I see no logical alternative to keep my costs down.
Things are not quite right this morning on vanguard.com. Until 30 minutes ago or so, it looked the way it usually does the night before. They hadn't run their usual early morning batch processes yet. I know it's a holiday, but even on weekend mornings, things are usually updated by 7 or 8 AM.

In the last 30 minutes or so, a few things have changed. Bond prices updated. A few ETF distributions that I received yesterday disappeared from my available balances. But pending mutual fund buys have not been processed. So the balances on any accounts with activity yesterday are off. Cash proceeds from ETF sales are still there, but again, the fund buys I made with those balances aren't showing yet.

I'm sure it will all be fixed sometime today, but it is annoying.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:38 am

This phenomena of funds appearing in two places happens fairly frequently at Vanguard. I have found that it usually happens the day following a trade. By the second day, everything is correct. One person here recently posted that they only download Vanguard data on the weekends to eliminate the possibility of all the data not being up to date.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:41 am

And now all of yesterday's ETF sale proceeds disappeared, but the mutual fund buys haven't been processed so it looks like I'm missing a lot of money. :oops: And a few accounts show small negative cash balances. :annoyed

Edited: As of just after 10 AM, everything is updated and correct.