Q&A WITH JACK BOGLE - ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
fortyofforty

Re: Q&A WITH JACK BOGLE - ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE

Post by fortyofforty » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Jack,

Which two figures in economy history would you most like to hear debate (can be living or dead, or one of each)?
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell | There are many roads to doublin'. | Original Vanguard Diehard

TM90

Post by TM90 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Mr Bogle

Do you think the market has become more efficient then it was 10 or 20 years ago or less efficient? Hence is it easier or more difficult for fund managers to generate alpha?

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:41 pm

Mr. Bogle,

Our children have been Vanguard investors since they were teens!

How would you describe for new investors when - if ever - "stay the course" ends and adjusting one's investing and asset allocation based upon our worry of the impact of bear markets begins?

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:57 am

Mr. Bogle -

1. What is the best personal financial decision you made in your life? What is the worst?

2. If you could travel back in time to give some advice to the 21-year old John Bogle, what would it be?

3. If you could be "king of the financial world" for one day, and could change one thing in your kingdom, what would you change?
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Obviously, would love to hear Jack's take on Vanguard's new offering of no commission ETF's, and subsequent introduction of Fidelity Zero Index Funds. In his opinion, how should Vanguard respond (if at all)?
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

packer16

Post by packer16 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Why does Vanguard hire economists & get into the banter about the probability of a recession will be in the next few years? IMO this distracts away from the long-term philosophy of buy & hold with low cost. Does this add value to the average Vanguard investor or just add noise to an already over noisy financial landscape?

Packer
Buy cheap and something good might happen

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm

packer16 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:45 pm
Why does Vanguard hire economists & get into the banter about the probability of a recession will be in the next few years? IMO this distracts away from the long-term philosophy of buy & hold with low cost. Does this add value to the average Vanguard investor or just add noise to an already over noisy financial landscape?

Packer
Remember, Vanguard's clients include Advisors and Institutional Investors, in addition to Individual Investors (see... https://advisors.vanguard.com/web/c1/fa ... ebapp/home). With > $5 Trillion in assets under management, they certainly need to generate Economic, and other high level Financial forecasts, for both internal use, and external customers. I'm certainly glad they have some of the best and brightest minds working for them, even if those high-level projections add more "noise" to the general financial landscape.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

packer16

Post by packer16 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:34 pm

My question is more about the recession banter than the need to hire economists & more about focus versus cost. I agree they do need a few economist for some tasks but when they start putting out economic forecasts that everyone knows are wrong & can lead to poor behavior maybe they have too many or they need to focus their efforts on non-forecasting tasks. What value is Vanguards forecasts versus other economists? If adds value, then it OK but if they are not adding value why spend resources trying? Use the average of a number of economists & call it a day. Part of the whole index/BH concept is to be free of the institutional imperative. Just because everyone else has an economic forecast doesn't mean you have to have one. IMO if you do not you differentiate yourself & attract the similar types of customers. Maybe they should redirect some of the salaries they pay economist making forecasts to customer service or IT.

Packer
Buy cheap and something good might happen

JustWantToGetItRight

Post by JustWantToGetItRight » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:45 am

1) All of your certified financial planners seem to have only been working at Vanguard since 2013 and they are all very young in their late 20s and early to mid thirties. Why is this? And should I even be concerned with this?

2) They say "Your Age in Bonds: is the rule! But what if you are getting started late with investing (but not saving), you want to catch up, and you now you will stay the course for the next 13 years. Is it wrong to be 54 at 80/20?

LXEX55

Post by LXEX55 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:43 pm

With the stock market so high, would this be a bad time for me to switch over to a two fund retirement portfolio (50% bond fund; 50% US stock fund). Would it be smarter for me to leave my 401k money in the stable value fund until I need to start drawing down on the money a year or more from now? Aren't I buying very high if I switched into it now? I am 63 and planning on retiring at the end of this year. Am employed now, and Wells Fargo manages my 401k money. Upon retirement, I can either leave the money where it is with Wells Fargo or roll it over to Vanguard.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Due to the changes in the Global Industry Classification Standard (GICS), certain high performing stocks (e.g. Facebook, Alphabet/Google, and Netflix) will be moved from the Vanguard Consumer Discretionary Index Fund and the Vanguard Information Technology Index Fund to the newly renamed Vanguard Communication Services Index Fund at the end of September.

Given these changes, my questions for Jack are:
1.Should owners of the Consumer Discretionary and Information Technology Index Funds "stay the course" or "do something" to adapt to the GICS changes?
2. If fund owners should do something, then what would Jack recommend?

Thank you,
oldzey
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

TomP10

Post by TomP10 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Jack

Would you please run for President?
"It is remarkable how much long term advantage people like us have gotten by trying to be consistently not stupid, instead of trying to be very intelligent." -- Charlie Munger

RL1013

Post by RL1013 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:07 am

Jack,

Who are/were your role models. Which young man in business / investing world are you most impressed with?

Thanks for everything you did to revolutionize investing.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:57 am

car733 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:00 am
newbie question:

I am giving my first steps with funds.
I like the idea of diversification but I am not very happy holding stocks of companies like Philip Morris.

Is there anything to be done?
I think many have this concern when investing in Market Index Funds and perhaps it holds many new investors back from taking that leap, so it's a relevant question. This past weekend I read Bill Bernstein's, The Meaning of Money. I think Dr. Bernstein may also want to address this issue. It would be interesting to hear what suggestions they could make for investors interested in more social awareness in investing.

pparedes

Post by pparedes » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:53 pm

With Fidelity dropping it's expense fees to 0% for two funds, do you think there is the opportunity to actually have index companies pay individuals to invest in their funds (negative expense ratios)? Is this 0% expense fee sustainable, and is it fair to say that Vanguard now has a big target based on their own advice?

fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:21 pm

Jack,

Would you consider this to be the "Golden Age" of investing for small investors? What major changes to the industry would you like to see? What major changes or trends do you foresee coming in the next decade or two?
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell | There are many roads to doublin'. | Original Vanguard Diehard

Lauretta

Post by Lauretta » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:23 am

My question:
The revolution in the world of investing that you have spearheaded has spread beyond the US so that the use of Index funds has become a global phenomenon. So as a Eurozone investor, I am keen to understand how your advice to US investors on asset allocation (invest only in US equities and dont have International exposure) translates to people in my situation.
-Should we invest only in the US market too (since you seem to imply it's a better market to invest in) and perhaps hedge the currency exposure?
-Or should we invest only in the EU market, because we will spend Euros?(since you also say that you invest in US stocks since you will spend dollars)
-Or should we hold a globally diversified portfolio? (and in this case, why is it a good idea for us, but not for US investors?)
When everyone is thinking the same, no one is thinking at all