Q&A WITH JACK BOGLE - ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Q&A WITH JACK BOGLE - ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

This year's Moderator for the Question and Answer session with our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle will be my good friend and Conference teammate, Ed Rager.

The Q&A will take place during our annual get-together with Jack at the 2018 Bogleheads Conference in Philadelphia on October 3-5.

Many of you won't be able to attend to ask your question in person, but you can still post your question(s) for Jack right here on this thread.

Even if you are registered and plan to attend the Conference, you should still post your question(s) for Jack here.

Shortly before the Conference, Ed will consolidate all the accumulated questions by subject matter, and then ask Jack to respond to as many of your questions as time allows.

Fire away!

Best regards to all,

Mel
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
triceratop

Re: Q&A WITH JACK BOGLE - ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE

Post by triceratop »

A question suggested in a recent thread which could be thought provoking (it may also need advance warning or be impractical if Bogle is not aware of the current international valuations and dividend yields):

This is a two part question, part computation and part analysis. Would you please apply your valuation and dividend model for expected returns to foreign equities? (edit to add: I don't recall him ever being asked this in his many sit-downs with e.g. Christine Benz or other television appearances) How does the number compare to the same computations for US equities at the present time? How do you reconcile these numbers with your long-held and consistent statements that there is no need to invest outside the US.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Don't be bashful, go ahead and ask you questions here.

Ed
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

First of all thanks for this opportunity to ask questions.

1) Given the current yield curve, is it any need/worth to take the "risk" by choosing a longer term bond like 10 yrs, 30 years.
Last edited by ray.james on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

I'll throw my usual out there:

If you were born Mr. Yasuhara from Tokyo would you have been advocating 100% US equities this whole time or is that only because you were born Mr. Bogle from Montclair, NJ?

Good luck.

p.s. I am not sure if someone has already asked my perpetual query, but if it has please let me know the response.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

staythecourse wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:23 pm I'll throw my usual out there:

If you were born Mr. Yasuhara from Tokyo would you have been advocating 100% US equities this whole time or is that only because you were born Mr. Bogle from Montclair, NJ?

Good luck.

p.s. I am not sure if someone has already asked my perpetual query, but if it has please let me know the response.

I seem to recall asking Jack that question before, but I don't recall his response. You may want to check out the videos of my Q&As with Jack.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Good luck.

I seem to recall asking Jack that question before, but I don't recall his response. You may want to check out the videos of my Q&As with Jack.
Much thanks Mel. Will try to do some investigatory work. That is unless someone will do the dirty work for me?? :D

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 »

In the past Mr. Bogle has supported a strong tilt toward U.S. investing, even 100%

Vanguard, for example, sees something like 30% of stocks in international as a "sweet spot" as reflected in their various all-in-one funds.

As of now has Mr. Bogle's thinking evolved?
Retired 12/31/2015
TheQuietMan

Post by TheQuietMan »

I have a basic question from a new member (joined in January). I’ve read the threads on the forum, but I’d like to hear it from the man himself. What strategies would you use to avoid the sequence of returns risk?

Thank you,

Andy
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

TheQuietMan wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:11 pm I have a basic question from a new member (joined in January). I’ve read the threads on the forum, but I’d like to hear it from the man himself. What strategies would you use to avoid the sequence of returns risk?

Thank you,

Andy
Great question. I would like to hear the answer to that. Will be interested if he throws out SPIA or other ideas of a LMP. Not to steal the thread, but has he discussed that approach before.

Good luck.

p.s. Welcome aboard and keep up the great questions.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Thoughts on Vanguard's increasing recommendation of "International Bond" as part of the "4 fund portfolio"?
Does this make the basic "3 fund portfolio (Total Stock, Total International, Total Bond) obsolete in todays economic environment and going forward?

Aloha,
jim :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

staythecourse wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 pm
TheQuietMan wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:11 pm I have a basic question from a new member (joined in January). I’ve read the threads on the forum, but I’d like to hear it from the man himself. What strategies would you use to avoid the sequence of returns risk?

Thank you,

Andy
Great question. I would like to hear the answer to that. Will be interested if he throws out SPIA or other ideas of a LMP. Not to steal the thread, but has he discussed that approach before.

Good luck.

Also would be greatly interested in Jack Bogle's answer to this.
Especially the relevance of SPIA's (single or ladder) in reducing Sequence of Returns Risk for retirees.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:17 pm Thoughts on Vanguard's increasing recommendation of "International Bond" as part of the "4 fund portfolio"?
Does this make the basic "3 fund portfolio (Total Stock, Total International, Total Bond) obsolete in todays economic environment and going forward?

Aloha,
jim :D
For a man who doesn't see a need for international equities I don't see him saying one needs an allocation to international bonds. Just a hunch.

Good luck.
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

In the most recent update to "Common Sense Investing" you discussed a 1.6% real return over the coming decade. Given the run up in the market since publication do you think 1.6% is a bit high? Should we be looking at 1.3ish%? Could we see some negative real returns in the short term?
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Thank you,

Andy

Good luck.

What the heck is a LMP?
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

bikechuck wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:50 pm What the heck is a LMP?
Liability Matched Portfolio

eg viewtopic.php?t=142674
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Hello Mr. Bogle "Jack"

It is pretty much common knowledge in the Boglehead community that Warren Buffett endorsed the index investing strategy as the way to go for most people. Although he endorses index investing, he has been on record several times saying bond investing is a terrible investment.

If you were starting over today, would your advice be the same as Warren's and simply tell the average investor to put 10% in treasuries to feel secure and put 90% in the Vanguard Index 500.

He has given this same advice to people in their 20s and 70s.

Thank you Jack!!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Good luck.

Hey Stay the Course

Here is the link to the video. Your question was asked by Mel and answered by Jack.

https://vimeo.com/channels/bogleheads/241479867
car733

Post by car733 »

newbie question:

I am giving my first steps with funds.
I like the idea of diversification but I am not very happy holding stocks of companies like Philip Morris.

Is there anything to be done?
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

stemikger wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:46 am

Good luck.

Hey Stay the Course

Here is the link to the video. Your question was asked by Mel and answered by Jack.

That is so cool!!

Thanks for the link. Man, there are not many times I get goosebumps, but watching the video and seeing him answer questions is just plain cool.

Good luck.
book lover

Post by book lover »

Who were your role models growing up and who do you admire today?
cegibbs

Post by cegibbs »

stemikger wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:37 am Hello Mr. Bogle "Jack"

It is pretty much common knowledge in the Boglehead community that Warren Buffett endorsed the index investing strategy as the way to go for most people. Although he endorses index investing, he has been on record several times saying bond investing is a terrible investment.

If you were starting over today, would your advice be the same as Warren's and simply tell the average investor to put 10% in treasuries to feel secure and put 90% in the Vanguard Index 500.

He has given this same advice to people in their 20s and 70s.

Thank you Jack!!
Great question!
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Jack,

What sources of financial news do you follow or recommend?

What sorts of things not related to finance and investing do you enjoy reading?
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

stemikger wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:46 am

Good luck.

Hey Stay the Course

I've been saying his last name wrong this whole time :oops: just watched this great video, and that was the biggest surprise.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

What does Jack see as the future of ETFs, and the relationship between index mutual funds and ETFs? Have ETFs gone "too far, too fast"?
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

If Jack could travel back in time, which person or people would he most like to meet?

If Jack could travel back in time, what event or events would he most like to witness?
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Are there any other career fields besides financial services that you were thinking about entering and why didn't you go any of those routes?
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Has your son, who runs a boutique firm utilizing an ACTIVE investment philosophy, ever altered your own thinking about PASSIVE vs. ACTIVE?
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Lauretta

Post by Lauretta »

sleepysurf wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:46 am Has your son, who runs a boutique firm utilizing an ACTIVE investment philosophy, ever altered your own thinking about PASSIVE vs. ACTIVE?
Interesting point, I didn't know about it. According to this WSJ article Mr Bogle has invested some money in his son's actively managed small cap fund:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-bogle-f ... 1385590177
When everyone is thinking the same, no one is thinking at all
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Do you like Vanguard's Target Retirement funds and would you recommend them to most investors for their tax-advantaged accounts?
Jon H

Post by Jon H »

Mr. Bogle,

What is your current position on buying and holding international stock index funds and international bond index funds?
Consider gain and loss, but never be greedy and everything will be alright (fortune cookie)
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Jack,

What do you believe is the "American secret" (and I suspect it's not a secret)? Why has America been such a success over the past century and a half, or more?

Will America's leading position in the world continue, or do you see the end of America's era?
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Jack,

What is "risk"?
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Jack,

What is your biggest regret? What do you wish you'd done differently?

What do you consider the greatest personal attribute that has led to your success?
SQ7N3mvB

Post by SQ7N3mvB »

The market for Boglehead-style individual HSA investment accounts is very limited.

The few brokerage options that do exist (HSABank/TDAmeritrade for example) tend to have high monthly maintenance fees, commissions and/or esoteric ETFs with high expense ratios. TDAmeritrade, for example, no longer offers commission-free Vanguard ETFs. The Health Savings Administrators program that Vanguard links to charges a $45/year "administrative fee" and a 6.25 basis points per quarter "custodial fee". These fees do not appear to be waived regardless of how much a client holds at Vanguard.

Due to the nature of unforeseen health care expenses, as bills come due, being able to sell partial holdings commission-free is important. In addition, keeping some liquid cash in the HSA to pay smaller, unforeseen healthcare bills prudently avoids having to sell long-term core holdings in a down market. Unfortunately, cash in HSA accounts pays on the order of 0.16% while 4 week T-Bills currently pay 1.7%. No HSA custodial brokerage I've studied allows purchasing 4 week T-Bills at auction, money-market funds or other shorter-term low-risk instruments where a competitive rate of interest can be earned.

In light of the fact that HSAs are designed as a conservative savings vehicle for health care expenses rather than a short-term trading vehicle, the high fees and limited investment choices for individuals seems like a market opportunity with Jack Bogle written all over it.

Are there reasons why Vanguard doesn't provide full-featured HSA accounts for individuals just like it provides full-featured individual IRA accounts? Vanguard's Andy Clarke even called HSAs "The tax code's next sleeper hit" in October, 2017. What would have to happen in order for Vanguard to become the flagship of HSA providers for individuals?

Thank you.

J. Kloss
Swarthmore, PA
Last edited by SQ7N3mvB on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Jon H wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:50 pm Mr. Bogle,

What is your current position on buying and holding international stock index funds and international bond index funds?
Hey, Jon H, Jack answered your question at last years' Q&A. The video is below.

I know there are a lot of people who are fairly new to this site, but this question has been asked in this forum for years. I think we should all watch what Jack says about making our own decision regarding this matter and move on. He kindly and jokingly said at last years Q&A out of all the questions he hates, this one he hates the most. He pretty much said all he is going to say about it. He also wrote a very in depth chapter on it in Common Sense on Mutual Funds and for the record, I agree with him.
Last edited by stemikger on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

sleepysurf wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:46 am Has your son, who runs a boutique firm utilizing an ACTIVE investment philosophy, ever altered your own thinking about PASSIVE vs. ACTIVE?
Good question, this has always baffled me. Jack has proven through simple arithmetic that investing in index funds is the gold standard, so why is his Son trying to beat them?
Jon H

Post by Jon H »

stemikger wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:25 am

I know there are a lot of people who are fairly new to this site, but this question has been asked in this forum for years. I think we should all watch what Jack says about making our own decision regarding this matter and move on. He kindly and jokingly said at last years Q&A out of all the questions he hates, this one he hates the most. He pretty much said all he is going to say about it. He also wrote a very in depth chapter on it in Common Sense on Mutual Funds and for the record, I agree with him.
Thanks. For anybody who wants to watch it, his reply begins at around 50:00.
Consider gain and loss, but never be greedy and everything will be alright (fortune cookie)
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Jon H wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:54 am
stemikger wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:25 am

Thanks. For anybody who wants to watch it, his reply begins at around 50:00.
That's great Jon H. Glad you got to watch it. For the record, my question was asked at 59.04. Still thrilled Mel got to it!!
Banjoman

Post by Banjoman »

fortyofforty wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:42 am If Jack could travel back in time, which person or people would he most like to meet?

If Jack could travel back in time, what event or events would he most like to witness?
Nice Questions but, Could Mr. Bogle concentrate his answer to the "financial" figures/events of the past?
True simplicity is very complex and hard to achieve... Steve Jobs
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Banjoman wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:33 am
fortyofforty wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:42 am If Jack could travel back in time, which person or people would he most like to meet?

Nice Questions but, Could Mr. Bogle concentrate his answer to the "financial" figures/events of the past?
I thought it might be even more interesting to leave it wide open, to better know and appreciate Jack.
a.trainer

Post by a.trainer »

This is such a wonderful opportunity for those of us unable to attend.

Question:
Mr. Bogle, thank you for all you have done to revolutionize the investment industry! In the past you recommended one's retirement account include a portion of U.S. Bonds and U.S. Stocks. Is this still your current recommendation or are you suggesting International Stocks be added to a retirement account? Please elaborate if you'd wish.
Thank you again,
Adam (Ardmore, PA)
treypar

Post by treypar »

In the current raising interest rate environment, should the bond allocation of a portfolio be placed in the Total Bond Market index, short term bond index or a CD ladder?
book lover

Post by book lover »

What books are you currently reading? Do you use an e reader such as a Kindle?
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Given your propensity to favor the simple over the complex, how would you rate the federal government's Thrift Savings Plan in terms of investment choices? Is it near to your ideal for a retirement plan?
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Thank you,

Andy

Good luck.

Excellent question.

However, my impression is that folks like Bogle and Buffet have large enough assets (relative to their spending) that they don't feel constrained by sequence of returns.

Certainly, hearing their answer about ordinary, average folks like us, would be helpful.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Question to Mr Bogle:

- do you think you were lucky or successful?
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
packer16

Post by packer16 »

Given the relatively high price of equities these days and the low yields of bonds what are your thoughts on other income generating assets like NNN real estate, BDCs with good underwriting, infrastructure providers (toll roads, bridges, electricity transmission, railroads) or hard asset leasers (like ships or equipment)? Especially if these assets can be purchased for yields higher than the market & have better growth prospects?

What are your thoughts in including buy-backs in addition to dividend yields in your expected return framework as buybacks are widely used now as way to return cash to shareholders in addition to dividends?

Thanks for the opportunity to ask questions to Jack.

Packer
Buy cheap and something good might happen
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Would it be fair to say the smartest "smart beta" strategy is simply to settle for beta itself?
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

We have earned our 'fortune' and lost it twice due to bad financial advice. After finally earning it back a third time, we discovered Bogleheads and indexing 6 years ago which has been nothing short of a miracle. We are more cautious and reserved as regards to asset allocation than the average Boglehead, having a large portion in cash and CD's (about 1/3rd of our investable net worth) yielding around 2-2.5% annually.

To those of us who are extremely risk averse, yet understand the importance of having low ER equity fund positions in our portfolio to keep up with inflation over the long term, how would you position your portfolio to last many years beyond a normal retirement (We have a young disabled child who will require lifetime care after are gone) and maintain an annual withdrawal rate of between 2.8% to 3.0%?

I will not be able to come to the meeting in October due to family commitments.

Thank you in advance.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.