Investing spreadsheet or software?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
restingonmylaurels

Investing spreadsheet or software?

Post by restingonmylaurels » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:02 am

I have searched around the forum and did not find the answer, so let me ask people here.

I am changing computers now and so leaving behind my decade-old copy of Quicken, which I used to track my investments for a long time. With all of the underwhelming reviews for the current version and especially the requirement to be logged in even when you want to work with your investments offline, I will not likely buy a new license.

The other investment software products all seem to require online storage and act as loss-leaders for investment advisors (which is why they are free). Not interested in sharing my investment information with anyone or storing it online. So it seems that all I am left with is creating my own spreadsheets to track investments kept with more than a single financial company and therefore be able to determine my AA.

Has anyone found an offline investment software product to track their investments?

Doc

Re: Investing spreadsheet or software?

Post by Doc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:22 am

I think you may be misinformed. The last few years that Intuit published Quicken the support deteriorated. The new organization took quite a while to get up to speed. Recently there has been major improvement.

You don't "sign on" to Quicken to see or work with your data. They just added a password to your data file. Quicken login is limited to a few functions like accessing your password vault. Which you don't need to do to access your accounts.

I would give it a lot of thought before moving to another program and relearning everything only to find in the end that the new program has just as many watts.

All that said the new Quicken is still a work in progress.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:23 am

I have been using excel workbooks for this purpose coupled with Morningstar. I keep a portfolio in M* which I've included the data fields I want, they have many, and simply export that when and as needed for updates. Excel then updates to the latest data when I open it and then produces the data fields I want. It took me awhile to get it polished off the way I want, right down to the graphs and charts, but it gives me exactly what I want. If you have excel there is no cost as the M* stuff is free.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:24 am

I don’t use it to track investments (although it appears to have that functionality), but I use Moneydance to track my budget and expenses. It’s available for Windows, MAC and Linux, and costs about $30 US. It stores files locally and can import QFXF files.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:26 am

I've been a Quicken user for ages. The new version works well for me and I can't imagine switching to anything else.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:27 am

restingonmylaurels wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:02 am
Has anyone found an offline investment software product to track their investments?
Sure. It's MS Money. Free. Run on Windows. Easily found by a search. Lots of proponents on bogleheads.org use it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

GLState

Post by GLState » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:43 am

If you're happy with your decades old Quicken, why not reinstall on your new computer. You have so many don't-want requirements that it'll be hard to find an alternative. Moneydance seems to be a popular Quicken replacement. http://moneydance.com/ Some use the sunset version of Microsoft Money. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=20738

A spreadsheet will work well, but many here were unable to download price and other fund data when Yahoo changed their download method. IMO, Quicken it still the premier personal finance software, but might be overkill if you only want to track your portfolio.

restingonmylaurels

Post by restingonmylaurels » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:46 am

Doc wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:22 am
I think you may be misinformed. The last few years that Intuit published Quicken the support deteriorated. The new organization took quite a while to get up to speed. Recently there has been major improvement.

You don't "sign on" to Quicken to see or work with your data. They just added a password to your data file. Quicken login is limited to a few functions like accessing your password vault. Which you don't need to do to access your accounts.

I would give it a lot of thought before moving to another program and relearning everything only to find in the end that the new program has just as many watts.

All that said the new Quicken is still a work in progress.
Doc, please read the first two reviews and let me know if they are not accurate: https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Premier ... l_reviews

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:26 am

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:46 am
Doc, please read the first two reviews and let me know if they are not accurate:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "first two reviews" but let me guess.

First comment:
1. Your existing Quicken account cannot be linked to this purchase.
Duh. It's a different company. Intuit no longer publishes Quicken.
2. There are exactly zero improvements between 2016 Premier and 2018 Premier
This post is from January and is out of date. (The link bill thingy is a mess but I don't know if its due to Quicken or the billers.)

Most of the rest of this stuff is just bitching. They don't have 2018 tax support in Quicken. Well neither did Turbotax 2017 when it was released.

Second comment:
This program does not work a very basic level. I cannot log into my file. It worked yesterday and it does not work today. There is virtually no support available on the Quicken website - I have been waiting to "chat live" for over 30min now (the web page said the wait time was 6min). I object to the fact that I need to log into my Web Quicken account every time I want to open my file
Well it's working for me. I haven't had a problem with Quicken support because I haven't needed it. Yes there have been some glitches. I've already addressed the sign in question. It's a file password. Not a Quicken sign in. If you don't like just change your FILE password to "no".

There have been a whole lot of updates in the last six weeks or so. Anything written before mid February should be considered out of date.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

Post by 2015 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:00 am

Just a few spreadsheets in a single excel workbook. Investing is an input to me, not an output. Simplicity in investing allows me to get on with more important things in life.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 am

I have a single spreadsheet that gets updated on a monthly basis.

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 am

If your decade-old Quicken is working fine for you, just install it on your new computer. Your license allows you to do this.

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:56 pm

I have Quicken Premier 2017 which still uses a local file and does not require a subscription. You can still buy it from some vendors, but not Amazon or Quicken. It requires a login to the New Quicken server to download balance and entries but not if you are doing everything manually. I think 2018 moves to a cloud subscription model but am not sure because I don't have that version.

Do a Google search for the 2017 version. Be aware that it will update your Data file and the new format is not compatible with old software so make sure you backup everything.
Lorne

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:59 pm

tractorguy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:56 pm
It requires a login to the New Quicken server to download balance and entries but not if you are doing everything manually.
I figured this out, maybe.

I'm using Q2018 so it may be different.

You need a password to open your data file. This may or may not be your Quicken password. Mine is not.

Once you've open your data file and then try to download data from your broker/bank you may get the following.

DO NOT ENTER your Quicken password.

Press OK or cancel and you will get another screen to enter your Broker's/Bank's password.

(If your broker's pass word is not stored in the vault you will not get the above screen but will go directly to the "enter your brokers" screen.)

Note the first screen is for Quicken's password and the second is for your broker/bank.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Long time Quicken user here.
Now using 2018 Deluxe.
Vast Improvement now that new owners are paying attention. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Toons wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:03 pm
Long time Quicken user here.
Now using 2018 Deluxe.
Vast Improvement now that new owners are paying attention. :happy
As long as we are doing kudus to Q. There is now a Portfolio X Ray tool that directs your portfolio to Morningstar so that your data is for actual fund contents not just the category like some of our brokers tend to use instead.

You also get all the other breakdowns like stock sector and world region that you need to have a paid M* subscription to get.

restingonmylaurels

Post by restingonmylaurels » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Doc wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:59 pm
tractorguy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:56 pm
It requires a login to the New Quicken server to download balance and entries but not if you are doing everything manually.
I figured this out, maybe.

I'm using Q2018 so it may be different.

You need a password to open your data file. This may or may not be your Quicken password. Mine is not.

Once you've open your data file and then try to download data from your broker/bank you may get the following.

DO NOT ENTER your Quicken password.

Press OK or cancel and you will get another screen to enter your Broker's/Bank's password.

(If your broker's pass word is not stored in the vault you will not get the above screen but will go directly to the "enter your brokers" screen.)

Note the first screen is for Quicken's password and the second is for your broker/bank.
Doc, in short, is it possible to use Quicken 2018 without ever being online (e.g. can you enter all of your transactions and fund prices manually offline) or are you required to be online for any reason?

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:02 am

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:15 pm
Doc, in short, is it possible to use Quicken 2018 without ever being online (e.g. can you enter all of your transactions and fund prices manually offline) or are you required to be online for any reason?
I don't know if I can answer that question. I have Q up right now but am not logged in to Quicken. I can manually enter transactions and prices. If I want to download data from my bank or broker I have to enter their password on the appropriate screen. (I could go to the banks website and download a file that I can than upload into Q but I've rarely used that method. It's only useful if you have to limit the time frame of the transactions you want.) There are two methods that can be use to access your bank - web connect and direct connect. Web connect goes through Quicken's server but you never have to log in to Quicken. Direct connect goes directly to the banks website. This is more efficient but not every provider has this service.

The only way that I can answer your question exactly would make me pull the plug on my modem and I'm not going to do that. :D