2018 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE UPDATE 9-3-18

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

2018 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE UPDATE 9-3-18

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

We are pleased to announce that our 2018 Bogleheads® Conference will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with check-in starting at 2PM on Wednesday, October 3, 2018. The meeting will end around 1:30PM on Friday, October 5, 2018.

Our special guest for the Conference is our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle (health permitting). Jack plans to attend specifically to meet with his Bogleheads®, so this is a unique and rare opportunity. Other investing authorities expected to attend and participate as panel members in the Q&A with the Experts are authors Christine Benz, Dr. Bill Bernstein, Jonathan Clements, Mel Lindauer, and Allan Roth. And we’re excited to announce that Gus Sauter, the former Chief Investment Officer at Vanguard, will be joining us again this year.

We'll start with check-in followed by a wine and cheese reception on Wednesday afternoon. After breakfast on Thursday morning, we’ll meet with Jack Bogle for a presentation. Following his presentation, Jack will be joined by Dr. Bill Bernstein for a “Fireside Chat”, followed by a Q&A session with the Panel of Experts. After lunch, there will be book signings and personal discussions with Jack and our authors and experts. There will also be an ongoing wiki demonstration. Then on Thursday evening, we’ll visit Vanguard. After breakfast on Friday, we’ll have a presentation from Gus Sauter, followed by an extensive Q&A session with Jack Bogle.

The registration fee for this meeting is US$295 per person. This non-refundable and non-transferable fee covers the wine and cheese reception on Wednesday, breakfast, lunch, break snacks, and evening meal on Thursday, breakfast on Friday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the various functions.

Registration is now open. Space is limited. We suggest that you make your reservation and send in your payment now to ensure getting one of the available spots. In previous years, we’ve sold out very quickly (in just two days after the forum announcement last year) and we expect to do so again this year. There will be no wait list, so if you want to join us, you’ll need to act promptly.

To register for the Conference, please go to our simple online registration at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... A/viewform Just open the link, complete and submit the form, then mail your check (payment must be received to complete registration). If you have any problems or questions, contact us at: BogleheadsConference@gmail.com

Also check out the conference website... https://sites.google.com/site/bogleheadsmeeting/

Once your payment is received, you will be advised on the procedure for reserving a room as well as Airport to hotel transportation options. Our preferred Conference hotel discounted rate is $147 per night (king or double queen) plus 11% tax. This special rate is available from October 1 through October 5. Other nights are available at a reduced rate for those who want to spend additional time visiting the historic Philadelphia area. The hotel only holds a limited number of rooms for us at these special rates, so be sure to make your reservations as soon as you receive the hotel booking information. Our block of hotel rooms sold out quickly last year, and those who registered later had to find other accommodations.

We look forward to another exciting event.

Mel Lindauer, Mel Turner (aka TOM, “The Other Mel”), Paul Globerson, Gail Cox and Ed Rager.
cfs

Re: 2018 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by cfs »

Update - Signed up, check for two will be in the mail tonight is in the mail. Gracias por leer ~cfs~
Last edited by cfs on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
treypar

Post by treypar »

Please add me to the waiting list. I attended last year and it was a great conference.

x
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

Wow! Looking forward to a great conference.
Last edited by Trapper on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:02 pm Hello Everyone:

We are pleased to announce that our 2018 Bogleheads® Conference will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with check-in starting at 2PM on Wednesday, October 3, 2018. The meeting will end around 1:30PM on Friday, October 5, 2018.

Our special guest for the Conference is our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle (health permitting). Jack plans to attend specifically to meet with his Bogleheads®, so this is a unique and rare opportunity. Other investing authorities expected to attend and participate as panel members in the Q&A with the Experts are authors Christine Benz, Dr. Bill Bernstein, Jonathan Clements, Mel Lindauer, and Allan Roth. And we’re excited to announce that Gus Sauter, the former Chief Investment Officer at Vanguard, will be joining us again this year.

We'll start with check-in followed by a wine and cheese reception on Wednesday afternoon. After breakfast on Thursday morning, we’ll meet with Jack Bogle for a presentation. Following his presentation, Jack will be joined by Dr. Bill Bernstein for a “Fireside Chat”, followed by a Q&A session with the Panel of Experts. After lunch, there will be book signings and personal discussions with Jack and our authors and experts. There will also be an ongoing wiki demonstration. Then on Thursday evening, we’ll visit Vanguard. After breakfast on Friday, we’ll have a presentation from Gus Sauter, followed by an extensive Q&A session with Jack Bogle.

The registration fee for this meeting is US$295 per person. This non-refundable and non-transferable fee covers the wine and cheese reception on Wednesday, breakfast, lunch, break snacks, and evening meal on Thursday, breakfast on Friday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the various functions.

Registration is now open. Space is limited. We suggest that you make your reservation and send in your payment now to ensure getting one of the available spots. In previous years, we’ve sold out very quickly (in just two days after the forum announcement last year) and we expect to do so again this year. There will be no wait list, so if you want to join us, you’ll need to act promptly.

To register for the Conference, please go to our simple online registration at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... A/viewform Just open the link, complete and submit the form, then mail your check (payment must be received to complete registration). If you have any problems or questions, contact us at: BogleheadsConference@gmail.com

Also check out the conference website... https://sites.google.com/site/bogleheadsmeeting/

Once your payment is received, you will be advised on the procedure for reserving a room as well as Airport to hotel transportation options. Our preferred Conference hotel discounted rate is $147 per night (king or double queen) plus 11% tax. This special rate is available from October 1 through October 5. Other nights are available at a reduced rate for those who want to spend additional time visiting the historic Philadelphia area. The hotel only holds a limited number of rooms for us at these special rates, so be sure to make your reservations as soon as you receive the hotel booking information. Our block of hotel rooms sold out quickly last year, and those who registered later had to find other accommodations.

Mel Lindauer, Mel Turner (aka TOM, “The Other Mel”), Paul Globerson, Gail Cox and Ed Rager.
The registration link is for 2017 and says sold out! I want to attend!

x
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

treypar wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm Please add me to the waiting list. I attended last year and it was a great conference.
There won't be a wait list. If you want to attend, you need to sign up promptly before we're sold out. The signups are already approaching 50.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Dottie57 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:12 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:02 pm Hello Everyone:

The registration link is for 2017 and says sold out! I want to attend!
Sorry, the link to the 2018 Conference has been fixed. Try again.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:13 pm
treypar wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm Please add me to the waiting list. I attended last year and it was a great conference.
There won't be a wait list. If you want to attend, you need to sign up promptly before we're sold out. The signups are already approaching 50.
The initial link was incorrectly pointing to the 2017 Conference. The 2018 link is now correct and we're not sold out yet. Try again.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Trapper wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:09 pm Please add me to the waitlist.
Sold out in four minutes!
Try again. The link has been corrected to 2018 and we're not sold out yet.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Check’s in the mail :beer
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

TravelGeek wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:33 pm Check’s in the mail :beer
See you in Philly!
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Looks like I'm in. Check'll be in the mail tomorrow morning Check is in the mail, Uncle Sam assures me it'll get there before the ten-day limit runs out.
Last edited by oldcomputerguy on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Mountebank

Post by Mountebank »

I missed last year's conference by waiting one day to register. Check is in the mail today. Whew!
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Mrs. Galawdawg and I are signed up and putting our check in the mail tonight. We're looking forward to attending our first Bogleheads conference as I will transition to part-time on October 1 and take early retirement on Dec 31 after twenty-five years of government service as a prosecuting attorney. I can't think of a better way to celebrate early retirement than the Bogleheads conference!

In the mid-1990's, we had the pleasure of meeting Jack and hearing him speak at the Georgia World Congress Center, which was a pivotal financial moment for us as a young married couple beginning to chart our financial plan for our future. It will be a privilege to thank him for his role in helping us reach our financial objectives. As a long-time lurker, I'm also looking forward to meeting others here who have provided wisdom, guidance and encouragement on a wide variety of financial issues over the years.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Bummer. Wish it were later in the month. I'll be returning from Europe in early October. Vive la France!
-gfl
Driving On

Post by Driving On »

I just missed this last year. Can't wait to meet everyone. Check is in the mail tomorrow AM.
Driving On
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

We're up to 142 in less than two hours. At this rate (71 per hour), we could be sold out in three hours. Better get in while the getting's good if you really want to attend.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Due to the Nor'easter, I won't be able to put my check in the mail until late Thursday.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:11 pm Due to the Nor'easter, I won't be able to put my check in the mail until late Thursday.
Likely story. Looks like we may not have a wiki demo this year! :annoyed

Seriously, I saw the storm's heading your way. Just get it in the mail by Thurs. and you should be fine, LG.
MrOzone

Post by MrOzone »

Check is already in the mail tonight! Signed up on line.
See you all in PA!
Thanks!
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Woohoo, I"m going to Philly! Better than Disney :D . Thanks to a tip off from a fellow Boglehead I didn't miss out this time; this will be my first conference and I can't wait to listen and learn from everyone, especially Mr. Bogle himself.
rvs323

Post by rvs323 »

Having been able to attend in 2016 and 2017, we would love to join you again this year; however, we decided after last year’s conference we would sit out this year so some other newbies could attend. It was truly an eye opening and life changing event for us and we hope whoever takes our places this year have the same experience. Perhaps we’ll see all of you again in 2019!
FriedFire

Post by FriedFire »

Just registered for my first conference! Very excited to meet everyone.

Are people receiving email confirmations instantly? I registered 5 minutes ago and still haven't received my email confirmation. Wondering if my registration didn't go through!

UPDATE: confirmation went to my spam folder in Gmail!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

FINAL WARNING.

Only five spots left. Sign up now or you'll be shut out.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Sorry folks, we're sold out. Better get those checks in to make sure you get the spot you registered for or else you'll lose it.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Please add me to the waiting list. Thanks,

John

x
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Wow! "You snooze, you lose" sets a new record.

Please add me to the waiting list. Thanks... Bylo

x
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

Wow that went fast, sold out in less than 6 hours, 702PM to 1244 AM, Unfortunately I read my forums in the morning

x
Plumber5056

Post by Plumber5056 »

Please, add me +1 to the waitlist.

Thanks!

Edit: I’ve read more closely and I see there will be no waitlist. Hopefully next year I can attend.

x
Last edited by Plumber5056 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress »

Darn! Yesterday was a doozy of a day and while I normally would have seen this, I guess it just wasn’t in the stars for me. Didn’t see it until now.

If there ends up being a waitlist, please add me to it. Thank you!

x
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Please put me on the waiting list. Thank you,

Victoria

x
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
dodonnell

Post by dodonnell »

Mel, Please put me on the waiting list.

Thank you, Dan O'Donnell

"Missed it by that much"

x
diverski

Post by diverski »

Wow. I've been checking daily and missed this one. Not in the cards for me either. As with the others, if there is a waitlist, add me and a plus one.

x
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Plumber5056 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:15 am Please, add me +1 to the waitlist.

Thanks!

Edit: I’ve read more closely and I see there will be no waitlist. Hopefully next year I can attend.
While there is no "formal" wait list, folks should feel free to add their names to this thread, just in case. The odds of getting in aren't very good, but never say "never".
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Mountebank wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:59 pm I missed last year's conference by waiting one day to register. Check is in the mail today. Whew!
I had a different, but similar experience last year. I made sure to register last night and the check is sitting in my mailbox right now. :sharebeer
P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary »

Please add me +1 to the list.

x
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:20 am Please put me on the waiting list. Thank you,

Victoria
Oh shucks. I hope you get to go Victoria. I enjoyed meeting you a few years ago!
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

One of these years I need to come to one of these.

Baby 2 will be several months old so I'm out... :(
Get rich or die tryin'
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

Missing out on this again is just one of my rewards for volunteering at a free tax filing center last night. :annoyed

x
mind_boggled

Post by mind_boggled »

Mailed the check this morning. I'm in the NE so hope the check makes it out in time. Storm is already coming down very hard. :|
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Please add me to the waiting list!! The time difference is a bummer. I looked yesterday but went to bed before midnight my time, a few minutes too early Philly time.

x
indexlover

Post by indexlover »

Please add me to waiting list. TIA

x
“If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands-down choice should be Jack Bogle.” - Mr. Buffett - Berkshire Hathaway ’s 2016 annual report.
foodhype

Re: 2018 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE SOLD OUT

Post by foodhype »

+1 Please add me to the waiting list.

Also, for future reference, is there anyway I can track this so I don't miss this next year? I don't check the forums every single day.

x
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

foodhype wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:51 pm Also, for future reference, is there anyway I can track this so I don't miss this next year? I don't check the forums every single day.
Check the forum every day, several times :)

The last couple of years I thought I might want to go, but in the end decided against it since vacation days were precious and I am on the other side of the country. This year I didn’t hesitate. Given how quickly the tickets sold out, I am glad I didn’t dawdle.

Perhaps we could convince the organizers to rent a larger venue next year. Lincoln Financial Field, perhaps? :shock: (although I have really bad experiences with a 403b that my now-wife had with them some 20 years ago)
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

foodhype wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:51 pm +1 Please add me to the waiting list.

Also, for future reference, is there anyway I can track this so I don't miss this next year? I don't check the forums every single day.
If the trend continues, next year the conference should be sold out in one hour or less. Then people will start developing bots to check and automatically register; it will take a few seconds to be sold out.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (bogleheads.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287967)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

rvs323 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:11 pm Having been able to attend in 2016 and 2017, we would love to join you again this year; however, we decided after last year’s conference we would sit out this year so some other newbies could attend. It was truly an eye opening and life changing event for us and we hope whoever takes our places this year have the same experience. Perhaps we’ll see all of you again in 2019!
I went in 2015 and 2016 and decided to sit out last year for similar reasons. I was on the fence for this year, but decided to sit out--still I was worried about letting down my guard and changing my mind. I am relieved it has been sold out so I no longer have to worry about being tempted. :D

Newbies, enjoy!
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Oh well. I didn't see this until now and I was really looking forward to attending my first one on the 20th anniversary of my retirement. (Oct 2, 1998 was the actual anniversary.) Sigh.......

x
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Sheepdog wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm Oh well. I didn't see this until now and I was really looking forward to attending my first one on the 20th anniversary of my retirement. (Oct 2, 1998 was the actual anniversary.) Sigh.......
That's too bad Sheepdog. Maybe next year for both of us. I am sure I am not just speaking for myself in saying that many Bogleheads would enjoy meeting you.

Maybe there should be an alternative "consolation" Bogleheads gathering, somewhere, kind of like the consolation tournaments for teams that do not qualify for the big post-season events. :D

It is unrealistic to expect the same "big names" would come, but it might be fun anyway. Perhaps a summer gathering in Upstate NY. It is quite lovely up here in the summer and prices for lodging and event space are less expensive than Philadelphia area, which is very Bogleheadish. And Jack Bogle has long had a summer place up in the Adirondacks--a big piece of his heart and soul is clearly up here. And maybe we could even find a dog-friendly venue so folks like you could bring your dogs with you. There were no dogs in evidence at BH 2015 or 2016--I am pretty sure that venue did not allow them.

It would be a lovely idea--but I am not volunteering to organize. Just sayin' :D
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

longinvest wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:39 pm
foodhype wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:51 pm +1 Please add me to the waiting list.

If the trend continues, next year the conference should be sold out in one hour or less. Then people will start developing bots to check and automatically register; it will take a few seconds to be sold out.
Probably time to start determining who comes by some method besides first come/first serve unfortunately. The other methods are often a bit unsavory (like raising the price, requiring a donation to the foundation, prioritizing those who haven't been, waiting lists for future years, lottery etc)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

dodecahedron wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:07 pm
It is unrealistic to expect the same "big names" would come, but it might be fun anyway.

It would be a lovely idea--but I am not volunteering to organize. Just sayin' :D
Nothing keeping anyone from organizing their own conference. You might even get some "big names" to come.

Having done it, however, I can warn you it is a lot of work, especially the first time, and there is a fair amount of financial risk involved.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course