GNMA Fund - usually we see some folks in panic

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
dm200

GNMA Fund - usually we see some folks in panic

Post by dm200 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:29 pm

As holders of the Vanguard GNMA fund know, the NAV has dropped a lot in recent weeks and months. I am generally fine, since I look longer term.

Over the years, I recall that every other time that the GNMA fund dropped (even a lot less than recently) there were numerous posts expressing panic, concern, puzzlement, anger, etc.

Curiously, I have not seen such posts this time. I wonder why?

jebmke

Re: GNMA Fund - usually we see some folks in panic

Post by jebmke » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:49 pm

I just looked at the VG site; YTD, GNMA is down about the same as Intermediate Treasury. Doing better than Total Bond Index and Intermediate Investment-grade.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

jdb

Post by jdb » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Have had allocation to GNMA in tax deferred account for past 8 years. Happy with the allocation. Only look at it once each year in December, more out of curiosity than anything else. Ten more months to go before I peek.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:42 pm

I think they were all started by hoops777 and he got tired of me responding.

https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... ps777+gnma
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:07 pm

I don't own GNMA but it looks like it has moved like most moderate duration bond funds. There is the usual flurry of posts about when to move out of bonds funds but that hasn't been really loud yet. When real rates start getting up to ~2% where they should be we will probably hear a lot of hand wringing.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.