"Bogleheads.org" by Kristine Hayes"

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

"Bogleheads.org" by Kristine Hayes"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

I think you will enjoy this short article about our Bogleheads' forum by Kristine Hayes.

Kristine's article is a reminder of how important it when using abbreviations to also say what the initials stand for.

Bogleheads.org

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
triceratop

Re: "Bogleheads.org" by Kristine Hayes"

Post by triceratop »

Entering any of the three abbreviations plus "personal finance" in a search engine such as Google provides results in an entire first page of results directly related to what those terms are. A wise man once said to learn how to fish.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

triceratop wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:49 pm Entering any of the three abbreviations plus "personal finance" in a search engine such as Google provides results in an entire first page of results directly related to what those terms are. A wise man once said to learn how to fish.
I once asked VG a question via email about my TSM account related to dividends, and received an answer - for TSM (the semiconductor manufacturer.)
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

It is true that differing modalities may apply with respect to communications with a financial institution versus an Internet forum.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
cfs

Post by cfs »

I know how to fish [former commercial fishing boat pilot here] but I have no time playing cryptogames trying to decipher mumble jumble acronyms, so, mister/miss poster, do me a favor and click the decode button and have a nice day. Good luck with your investments, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
iceport

Post by iceport »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 pm Kristine's article is a reminder of how important it when using abbreviations to also say what the initials stand for.

Bogleheads.org
There was another important message I took away from the blog entry:

The resolve it took Kristine to keep coming back is what really stood out for me.
When I started browsing the forum, I was intimidated by what I saw... I vowed to keep reading and deciphering. Now, nearly a year later, I feel like the forum has helped me to become significantly more financially literate.
:shock:

The vast majority of people have neither the time nor inclination to spend hours each day perusing the forum, so it's important to keep that in mind when interacting with new members. The perspective of those of use that do spend a lot of time here is completely different from that of a new arrival.

Several friends have expressed a desire to understand investing better at one time or another, and I've had numerous discussions with many of them, time permitting. But I will invariably encourage them, usually repeatedly, to come to the forum to read further and ask questions. I don't think those that have stopped by have stayed very long. The site really can be overwhelming.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

iceport wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:31 pm Several friends have expressed a desire to understand investing better at one time or another, and I've had numerous discussions with many of them, time permitting. But I will invariably encourage them, usually repeatedly, to come to the forum to read further and ask questions. I don't think those that have stopped by have stayed very long. The site really can be overwhelming.
This has been my experience as well. None of the half dozen people that I have recommended this site have managed to stick with it. It is just too overwhelming, both in terms of the technical jargon/symbols/discussions, and the number of "gee, I have 5+mill, can I afford this..." sort of posts.
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

I thought I would simply post a link to acronyms and abbreviations, but was surprised at the length of the list. In good writing, the first time you use an acronym or abbreviation, you should explain it. I know, very hard to explain something like TSM every time you write a post.

Maybe a link to acronyms should be on the IHWPI page. :happy Oh, yeah, Investing - Help With Personal Investments.

Paul
Last edited by pkcrafter on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

pkcrafter wrote: I thought I would simply post a link to acronyms and abbreviations, but was surprised and the length of the list. In good writing, the first time you use an acronym or abbreviation, you should explain it. I know, very hard to explain something like TSM every time you write a post.
Maybe a link to acronyms should be on the IHWPI page. :happy Oh, yeah, Investing - Help With Personal Investments.
At the top of the Home page and also on each thread page is the button for the "Wiki" and clicking on that brings up, on the left side, a panel with a choice for "Acronyms." However, I'm not sure this is obvious or sufficient for newbies, in fact, even many regulars don't know our wiki has an Abbreviations and Acronyms section.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Spell out the acronyms in your posts! Yes, I know how to look them up in a wiki. Yes, I know how to google them. But why should I have to do that???? Many times I just give up and move on to the next post.
raven15

Post by raven15 »

Interesting article. But if I had to type real estate investment trust, you would literally have to pay me by the hour to post here.
It's Time. Adding Interest.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:26 pm Spell out the acronyms in your posts! Yes, I know how to look them up in a wiki. Yes, I know how to google them. But why should I have to do that???? Many times I just give up and move on to the next post.
i think that it is polite to spell out acronyms, it takes the poster a couple of extra seconds to do so but it saves many readers time and effort in looking them up. The cumulative time saved vastly exceeds the time spent up front.

I often skip posts tyhat use acronyms I am not familiar with.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Neat article. This place is a wealth of knowledge. But learning anything takes time.

However, I think the author was intentionally exaggerating the "bewildering" terms to point out that while it can be intimidating at first, it is surmountable.

I’ve been around long enough to know most of the financial abbreviations. I’m not young enough to know all the social ones. But my Google works really well. The results come up in a fraction of a second, too.

If some one posts a question about an ETF or a REIT, however, if you don't know what it stands for off the top of your head, you probably shouldn’t be replying with advice about it...

JT
sreynard

Post by sreynard »

triceratop wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:49 pm Entering any of the three abbreviations plus "personal finance" in a search engine such as Google provides results in an entire first page of results directly related to what those terms are. A wise man once said to learn how to fish.
I don't know of any wise man that said to learn how to fish, but I did hear the proverb, "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." The source isn't clear, but the operant word is "teach", not "assume", or "obfuscate" or even "Google". The premise is that people are trying to communicate helpful information that the recipient does not already possess. Writing a post in a language someone does not understand does not communicate information to them.

Yes, they could Google the meaning of an abbreviation, but then they could also Google for a site that communicates information clearly and concisely.

Now, if people are not really trying to communicate, but are instead giving an exhibition of their mastery of technical terms and acronyms the less sophisticated would not be expected to understand, that's altogether different. There's a term for that abbreviated DBE. [Self editing to not use military technical term that would offend many. :shock: ] Good luck Googling that one.... :wink:
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

I think non-standard acronyms such as "TBM" and "TISM" should be avoided or explained, but if people find it too troublesome to look up "ETF" or "IRA" and the like, then there is no hope for them. These are standard, widely used acronyms. If it's not worth the reader's time to look it up, it's certainly not worth the writer's time to type it out.

I can't find a conclusion in the blog post, and I'm not sure what the point of the post really is. Maybe that's because the author isn't sure what to make of this forum?
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

RTFM is too-often overused now. It was supposed to only be applied to people who have *demonstrated* a lack of initiative. A little help goes a long way.

The article was worth reading. Perhaps some good advice to people getting started is: Yes, it really does take a little effort to get satisfactory results. Is there any time in your life when this was not true?

I like how the last paragraph of an article on "Humble Dollar" is about bragging!
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

tooluser wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:04 pm RTFM is too-often overused now.
What does RTFM mean?
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 am
What does RTFM mean?
It's apparently missing from our wiki's Abbreviations and Acronyms page.

It means: Read The F[ine] Manual.

EDIT: It's not missing anymore, but it says not to use it. :)
Last edited by longinvest on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (bogleheads.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287967)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I quite enjoyed getting another perspective on the Bogleheads.org forum. I have even made up a story in my mind about why Jonathan Clements had this piece on his web site.

I have referred people to Bogleheads.org. Almost all of them find the forum intimidating. But I think most all people find life intimidating, so that is just part of being alive. Every day has challenges which makes life interesting. The level of challenges is different for different people. And there are teachers at all levels helping people.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 »

A lot of these topics have come up lately (or I've been noticing them more). The argument that you can easily google "TSM personal finance" is laughable. People that are coming to these forums for the first time are already swimming in a sea of words they're trying to learn, telling them to have separate tabs open so they can stop reading mid sentence to look up an acronym is ridiculous.

I know when I first started reading I just figured out that DH and DW didn't ever matter to the context of the post so i skipped over them by habit. When I finally found out what they meant my reaction was first, "who says Dear Wife/Husband in their actual lives" and my second reaction was, "and why do people need to abbreviate it?"
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

TylerS7 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:09 am A lot of these topics have come up lately (or I've been noticing them more). The argument that you can easily google "TSM personal finance" is laughable. People that are coming to these forums for the first time are already swimming in a sea of words they're trying to learn, telling them to have separate tabs open so they can stop reading mid sentence to look up an acronym is ridiculous.

I know when I first started reading I just figured out that DH and DW didn't ever matter to the context of the post so i skipped over them by habit. When I finally found out what they meant my reaction was first, "who says Dear Wife/Husband in their actual lives" and my second reaction was, "and why do people need to abbreviate it?"
The DW and DH thing is weird. How about DFA for dear financial advisor :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Thanks for posting, Taylor. Found it interesting that Dave Ramsey was the gateway for Kristine's entry into financial literature.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

What does IIRC mean? Since we are on topic of acronyms? No investment I know of uses IIRC.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

I think one needs to be judicious in their use of abbreviations/acronyms. I'm willing to bet that many people know what an IRA is would have to think twice if you posted about an individual retirement account. I feel like the common vernacular uses IRA, even in spoken language. I think the same is true of ETF. I never have a spoken conversation with someone and say, have you considered this exchange traded fund. I agree with the posters above, though. No one says DH/DW or dear husband/dear wife, so I have no idea where that came from. I do like the DFA comment. I wonder how many newbie posters, familiar with common internet but not financial abbreviations, think DFA means something like dear financial adviser rather than dimensional fund advisors :happy. Also, why does my spellcheck in chrome think advisor is a misspelling of adviser when both are acceptable. Any Googlers reading this? :D
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:27 am What does IIRC mean? Since we are on topic of acronyms? No investment I know of uses IIRC.
If I recall/remember correctly.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

bengal22 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:18 am Thanks for posting, Taylor. Found it interesting that Dave Ramsey was the gateway for Kristine's entry into financial literature.
I like Dave Ramsey's Debt Free Scream episodes. If you want blunt advice using common sense, Dave is your man. Just don't follow his investment advice - four good mutual funds; aggressive growth, growth, growth and income and international - using an ELP, paying a load. You don't need to pay a load to be able to invest in 1,2,3 or 4 good mutual funds.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that Ms. Hayes uses acronyms and abbreviations all the time when texting and snapchat-ting.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

longinvest wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:58 am
What does RTFM mean?
It's apparently missing from our wiki's Abbreviations and Acronyms page.

It means: Read The F[ine] Manual.

EDIT: It's not missing anymore, but it says not to use it. :)
Most (at least older) Techies like me are familiar with RTFM. It has now been superseded
by LMGTFY "Let me google that for you" . This even has its own website, lmgtfy.org
John Laurens

Post by John Laurens »

Acronyms are fine. Any community has a peculiar language. To a person just learning personal finance and investing basics, is there really a difference between real estate investment trust and REIT? Both are foreign terms.

Regards,
John
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 pm Bogleheads:

I think you will enjoy this short article about our Bogleheads' forum by Kristine Hayes.

Kristine's article is a reminder of how important it when using abbreviations to also say what the initials stand for.

Bogleheads.org

Best wishes.
Taylor
Enjoyable article. Thanks, "Taylor'.
The writer left out that the "Bogle" forum also give great advice on repairing plumbing leaks, upgrading appliances, and trading in cars.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

sandramjet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 pm
iceport wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:31 pm Several friends have expressed a desire to understand investing better at one time or another, and I've had numerous discussions with many of them, time permitting. But I will invariably encourage them, usually repeatedly, to come to the forum to read further and ask questions. I don't think those that have stopped by have stayed very long. The site really can be overwhelming.
This has been my experience as well. None of the half dozen people that I have recommended this site have managed to stick with it. It is just too overwhelming, both in terms of the technical jargon/symbols/discussions, and the number of "gee, I have 5+mill, can I afford this..." sort of posts.
I wanted to bump this. I am not anyway affiliated with bogleheads.org other then another poster, but would really like to see us improve this aspect of the forum. Question to the mods... Do you think it would be a good idea for an experience mod or poster to monitor a new subforum designed for newbies? That would seem a great way for new investors who hear about us to get their feet "wet".

I LOVE the "teach how to fish" philosophy, but have a strong feeling we are losing MANY folks early in their investing knowledge due to the presentation and conversations on most of the boards being TOO academic and verbose. I have realized we are a smart, friendly, and knowledgeable group of folks, but don't think we are great teachers for the newbie who want to learn. I think we need to better the delivery of the bogleheads message to the new investors.

This is why I ALWAYS recommend Mr. Roth's "How a second grader beat wall street" as the first book to read. It is easy, quick, and goes through the basics of what is important in investing.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

TylerS7 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:09 am A lot of these topics have come up lately (or I've been noticing them more). The argument that you can easily google "TSM personal finance" is laughable. People that are coming to these forums for the first time are already swimming in a sea of words they're trying to learn, telling them to have separate tabs open so they can stop reading mid sentence to look up an acronym is ridiculous.

None of those abbreviations were mentioned in the article. I did not claim the “TSM personal finance” google search could resolve the question — indeed a quick google will not reveal the answer to this. Instead, common abbreviations widely used in personal finance were used in the article. The author either chose weak examples for her point or perhaps there is another explanation.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Abbreviations haunt all companies. I think abbreviations are another hurdle we have to climb.

Job titles, team names, products, industry terms, accounting terms. Endless.

The other day someone asked me what "S/R People" meant. Without context I couldn't help. With some digging it came out to be "Shared Resources - People". A cost bucket for labor shared across teams.

Spending time here will get you "up to date" on many abbreviations. But it is still work to understand them all. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't know a term.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

At first I thought it meant Divorced Wife/Husband. :oops:
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

TylerS7 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:09 am I know when I first started reading I just figured out that DH and DW didn't ever matter to the context of the post so i skipped over them by habit. When I finally found out what they meant my reaction was first, "who says Dear Wife/Husband in their actual lives" and my second reaction was, "and why do people need to abbreviate it?"
Or there could be mass confusion like with "BAC." I thought it was the ticker for Bank of America but a friend of mine uses it for Ball and Chain, or "DW" as some on here say.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

There was a thread where the OP thought that OP meant "old person." Great fun.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

I'm hoping for an opportunity to someday, in the same sentence, use two finance-related acronyms with the same abbreviation but different meanings.

I guess that such pairs should be called acrohomonyms?

Example: "You need to contact your TPA to set up a TPA". :wink:

TPA = Third Party Administrator
TPA = Transfer Payout Annuity
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Chuck wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:30 pm There was a thread where the OP thought that OP meant "old person." Great fun.
That would be OAP (old age pensioner)
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

I don't mind the analogy to teaching one to fish but it appears at times that we then leave them without a fishing pole or a fishing permit. Or worse yet leave them at a fishing hole without any fish.
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

Can we just put an abbreviations link to Wiki on the header of every page and be done with this debate already? Seriously easy solution...

Love the replies in this thread:

"I want to manage my OWN million dollar portfolio that will shape the foundation of the last 20-40 years of my life but I'll be dammed if I have to look up an acronym every now and then! That's just too much work!"
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

Any new topic will always be intimidating, it should be exciting at the same time. Seems like there are lots of folks who just want “the answer” without doing the legwork, those folks come to bogleheads looking for a freebie while minimizing their own work. At minimum, people need to utilize the wiki and do a little upfront work so questions posted on the forum are legible and have as much pertinent information as possible. I think people unwilling to do appropriate legwork was the genesis of the thread about a lack of responses to portfolio questions (people not using the recommended portfolio template).

I have never seen someone ask what an acronym means and get a response like “go figure it out stupid”, I have always seen someone chime in and define the acronym.

Every web board or forum I have ever posted on has people who come on and ask rudimentary questions which have been covered a billion times in prior forum posts, faqs, or wikis and just simply don’t want to bother reading or searching. Those folks deserve what they get, and honestly this forum is infinitely kinder than almost any other I am on. Usually responses to those kind of “I am totally new teach me everything I need to know about X” get [rude responses on other sites - moderator prudent].

Our moderators are also excellent, which really helps out the overall quality of this forum (kudos moderators!) :sharebeer
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

FYI, an abbreviation where each letter is a pronounced separately is called an initialism, not an acronym.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

CFM300 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:48 pm FYI, an abbreviation where each letter is a pronounced separately is called an initialism, not an acronym.
OK
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

I only recently learned the distinction because I was curious about the script version of UCLA's logo, a variant of which appears on their football helmets. It's an iconic logo, but strange in that the "U" is capitalized and the rest of the characters are lower-case, as if it's a two-syllable word pronounced "You-kla." So the logo appears to be an acronym, but everyone I know, including all of the sportscasters, pronounce it as an initialism, "U.C.L.A."
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

What does RTFM mean?
ELI5. AFAIK, RTFM is older than LOL and LMAO. Nearly as old as QWERTY. Not avoiding the use of too many acronyms obfuscate what you're trying to convey and the reader is left not understanding your point (or is that not left understanding). Maybe it's time to add RTFM (so folks don't confuse it with RTM) to the FAQ or Wiki (wiki? WIKI [What I Know Is]?). NTIM and NVM.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... all&q=rtfm
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... d_Acronyms
CFM300 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:04 amI only recently learned the distinction because I was curious about the script version of UCLA's logo, a variant of which appears on their football helmets. It's an iconic logo, but strange in that the "U" is capitalized and the rest of the characters are lower-case, as if it's a two-syllable word pronounced "You-kla."
Doesn't help the cause of breaking the dumb jock stereotype: https://www.scoopwhoop.com/humor/grammar-nerds-zindabad

And don't run out of chickens: https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/upl ... pology.jpg
[https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5649831/k ... y-twitter/ if you need an explanation.]
TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 »

blaugranamd wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:00 pm Can we just put an abbreviations link to Wiki on the header of every page and be done with this debate already? Seriously easy solution...

Love the replies in this thread:

"I want to manage my OWN million dollar portfolio that will shape the foundation of the last 20-40 years of my life but I'll be dammed if I have to look up an acronym every now and then! That's just too much work!"
Users that insist on silly abbreviations remind me of this scene from Good Morning, Vietnam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXlvy3sTTBk
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

In the Commute Time thread that is currently being discussed, someone used the abbreviation WFH. I'm not sure if it is common for people who do work from home, but that one required a Google search when it could've easily been typed out as it was only used once.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
Munir

Post by Munir »

Using abbreviations and acronyms sometimes becomes a sign of being part of the "in crowd". There is an element of arrogance and showing off just like a kid learning how to ride a bike and saying "Look Ma- no hands".
dbr

Post by dbr »

Munir wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:12 am Using abbreviations and acronyms sometimes becomes a sign of being part of the "in crowd". There is an element of arrogance and showing off just like a kid learning how to ride a bike and saying "Look Ma- no hands".
Then there is a forum like this one where it seriously appears that posts that actually write out any of the obligatory acronyms must have been deleted (well, not really): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trending.php
libralibra

Post by libralibra »

post removed
Last edited by libralibra on Mon May 27, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.